• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

How Does NDSU Stay Dominate for 10 years?

You really have to wonder about the mental health of posters that use multiple screen names.

Come on man!

Grow up and get a life

AZGrizFan said:
2011BisonAlumni said:
I believe that some Griz fans are so desiring to be a national champion again, that they now cling onto a belief that the only way to get to the top is via another program somehow crumbling apart.

I think you’ve honestly accepted it won’t happen any other way, thus you need to believe something, that isn’t true, in order to give yourself hope of the Griz being at the top.

It’s that same type of mentality that won’t allow you to accept how EWU and Montana State have surpassed the Griz program, thus you have to resort to Meth jokes or calling Montana State little brother.

Watching this is honestly amusing, and is the reason I come here.

By writing this, I guarantee you’ll respond….

Did you watch the game on 11/20? How about the one on 12/4? Didn’t look like we’d been passed by either of those teams….but keep blindly flailing for relevance. You’re really good at that.

LMFAO…..remind me again. When is the last time Montana played in a National Championship game? Who was playing in the National Championship this year? Montana State or Montana? Do you really think the 11/20 game would have been the same result if Tommy was playing?

Do you know why Brett Vigen is a better coach than Bobby Hauck? He has actually won National Championships and realizes the season is much larger than one game vs a rival. Bobby will never win the big game because his entire focus is on the Cats.

Look at the head to head records of Montana vs EWU and Montana State this last decade. Look at the number of playoff wins, conference championships etc.

The entire momentum is in Montana State’s favor right now, regardless of the outcome that occurred on 11/20.

2011BisonAlumni said:
AZGrizFan said:
Did you watch the game on 11/20? How about the one on 12/4? Didn’t look like we’d been passed by either of those teams….but keep blindly flailing for relevance. You’re really good at that.

LMFAO…..remind me again. When is the last time Montana played in a National Championship game? Who was playing in the National Championship this year? Montana State or Montana? Do you really think the 11/20 game would have been the same result if Tommy was playing?

Do you know why Brett Vigen is a better coach than Bobby Hauck? He has actually won National Championships and realizes the season is much larger than one game vs a rival. Bobby will never win the big game because his entire focus is on the Cats.

Look at the head to head records of Montana vs EWU and Montana State this last decade. Look at the number of playoff wins, conference championships etc.

The entire momentum is in Montana State’s favor right now, regardless of the outcome that occurred on 11/20.

Well if you say so.....

I'll be sure and bookmark this post so I can come back and laugh all day at you.

2011BisonAlumni said:
AZGrizFan said:
Do you really think the 11/20 game would have been the same result if Tommy was playing?
Mellott played and was entirely ineffective.

2011BisonAlumni said:
AZGrizFan said:

When exactly did Viggen win a championship as a head coach?
You do realize that Hauck wasn’t coaching at UM for the majority of the head to head, playoff and conference title records you reference for the last decade?
If Viggen is such a great coach, why did it take him until after 11/20 to pull the qb switch. McKay had been on a downward trajectory the prior two games?

uofmman1122 said:
2011BisonAlumni said:
Do you really think the 11/20 game would have been the same result if Tommy was playing?
:lol:

No dog in the fight as who knows what would have happened. I was down on McKay by this time so personally I would have loved Tommy getting the start.

But he didn't start the game. Played a handful of snaps. Had 7 carries for about 4 yards per. No passing attempts. If you want to compare how the Cats used him that day to how they used him our 4 playoff games that's your right. But if he is our starter next year against you guys and you're expecting him to run the ball 7 times and never pass you are going to be in for a surprise.

ilovethecats said:
uofmman1122 said:

No dog in the fight as who knows what would have happened. I was down on McKay by this time so personally I would have loved Tommy getting the start.

But he didn't start the game. Played a handful of snaps. Had 7 carries for about 4 yards per. No passing attempts. If you want to compare how the Cats used him that day to how they used him our 4 playoff games that's your right. But if he is our starter next year against you guys and you're expecting him to run the ball 7 times and never pass you are going to be in for a surprise.

There’s a chance he runs and passes zero times by then because Sixx the Genius will have tried to run him 35 times per game all season.

CDAGRIZ said:
ilovethecats said:

There’s a chance he runs and passes zero times by then because Sixx the Genius will have tried to run him 35 times per game all season.

ilovethecats said:
uofmman1122 said:

Tommy was extremely effective running the ball in the playoffs, and if he had managed to be effective running in the Brawl, he would've done it a lot more. The idea that Tommy would've been more effective throwing jump balls against UM's corners is a fun thought for cat fans to stew over, but I don't think it would've changed a whole lot, the fact that he likely would've been marginally better than McKay, notwithstanding. :thumb:

uofmman1122 said:
ilovethecats said:

Tommy was extremely effective running the ball in the playoffs, and if he had managed to be effective running in the Brawl, he would've done it a lot more. The idea that Tommy would've been more effective throwing jump balls against UM's corners is a fun thought for cat fans to stew over, but I don't think it would've changed a whole lot, the fact that he likely would've been marginally better than McKay, notwithstanding. :thumb:
Hey like I said, who knows. I'm not making any type of case that had he played we would have won. Gris were the much better team that day.

I'm just pointing out that he wasn't used as a starting QB against the gris. I'm not even sure he played in the 4th quarter but he may have. In that game we used him just how we had all year; sparingly and as a running threat only. Nothing even close to how we used him after that game where he was named the starting QB, got reps all week, and was allowed to throw the ball.

As a runner, I thought his 4 yards a carry against a very good defense was pretty decent. But when you're getting beat like that you have to throw the ball, and unfortunately at that time our staff felt McKay was still the better option throwing.

I don't know how the game could have been different had Tommy been our starting QB. I just know that pretty much from the Weber game on I was getting more down on McKay every week. I would have loved to see him get the start against you guys. Depending how things shake up, maybe I'll see him get a crack at you the next three years! :thumb:

ilovethecats said:
uofmman1122 said:
Hey like I said, who knows. I'm not making any type of case that had he played we would have won. Gris were the much better team that day.

I'm just pointing out that he wasn't used as a starting QB against the gris. I'm not even sure he played in the 4th quarter but he may have. In that game we used him just how we had all year; sparingly and as a running threat only. Nothing even close to how we used him after that game where he was named the starting QB, got reps all week, and was allowed to throw the ball.

As a runner, I thought his 4 yards a carry against a very good defense was pretty decent. But when you're getting beat like that you have to throw the ball, and unfortunately at that time our staff felt McKay was still the better option throwing.

I don't know how the game could have been different had Tommy been our starting QB. I just know that pretty much from the Weber game on I was getting more down on McKay every week. I would have loved to see him get the start against you guys. Depending how things shake up, maybe I'll see him get a crack at you the next three years! :thumb:

My longtime friend and 50-year Cat season ticket holder who watches spring and fall practices, and claims to be on a nickname basis with the coaches, told me at the start of the fall season that none of the Bobcat QB's were worth a shit. If you saw McKay you saw him get worse as the season went on. When you saw TM get in a game he faked the handoff and ran at least 90% of the time, and threw virtually never. After the first playoff game he commented that the coaches saw that McKay regressed, Rovig stayed flat, and Mellott got better every week. Once Mellott got first team reps they were able to expand the plays. He says the weak competition the first couple games made TM look better at the position than he is, but that they expect his growth curve to keep climbing when he gets back from injury. My take is he already seems to handle the speed of the game that Brown and Patterson have yet to achieve. If his spring, summer and fall work with his receivers pays off as their coaches suspect, next year will be his last at the FCS level. If his passing doesn't come around, he will be a Bobcat for life.

uofmman1122 said:
ilovethecats said:

You must be kidding. Melot would’ve definitely led the Cats to a victory if only the coach had a brain that functioned at the requisite level to put him in. Plus, did you hear where he’s from?

ilovethecats said:
uofmman1122 said:

I agree with everything you said, but was responding to the assertion that "had Tommy played", the cats would've won (made by the byzon boi). Just pointing out that he did in fact play, and that even though Vigen "is a better coach than Bobby Hauck", he stuck with the guy that couldn't get it done, anyway.

Also, while I've got you here, outside of the 1 drive that ended in a field goal, Mellott was 5 attempts for 7 yards the rest of the game, for a 1.4 yard average. But you're right, you guys needed to throw, which is why you came back in 2018 solely on the arm (and not the legs) of Troy Andersen. ;)

uofmman1122 said:
ilovethecats said:

I agree with everything you said, but was responding to the assertion that "had Tommy played", the cats would've won (made by the byzon boi). Just pointing out that he did in fact play, and that even though Vigen "is a better coach than Bobby Hauck", he stuck with the guy that couldn't get it done, anyway.

Also, while I've got you here, outside of the 1 drive that ended in a field goal, Mellott was 5 attempts for 7 yards the rest of the game, for a 1.4 yard average. But you're right, you guys needed to throw, which is why you came back in 2018 solely on the arm (and not the legs) of Troy Andersen. ;)
The irony of this conversation is on BN myself and a couple others are getting hammered pretty good for suggesting the loss of Tommy wasn't the biggest factor in that blowout loss. Yes, it was devastating. Yes I think we would have fared better with him in all game. And yes, you could feel our bubbles burst as soon as he limped into the tent. It sucked, and I hate seeing kids leave with injury.

But the way they manhandled us in the trenches, I'm not convinced anyone at the QB position could have overcome that. I say all that to make it clear I'm not suggesting Tommy at QB would have beat you guys. Personally I would have loved him starting but that's another thing all together.

CDAGRIZ said:
ilovethecats said:

cdagriz is right....the chance that Tommy ever plays a last game of a regular season is not good.

horribilisfan8184 said:
ilovethecats said:

My longtime friend and 50-year Cat season ticket holder who watches spring and fall practices, and claims to be on a nickname basis with the coaches, told me at the start of the fall season that none of the Bobcat QB's were worth a shit. If you saw McKay you saw him get worse as the season went on. When you saw TM get in a game he faked the handoff and ran at least 90% of the time, and threw virtually never. After the first playoff game he commented that the coaches saw that McKay regressed, Rovig stayed flat, and Mellott got better every week. Once Mellott got first team reps they were able to expand the plays. He says the weak competition the first couple games made TM look better at the position than he is, but that they expect his growth curve to keep climbing when he gets back from injury. My take is he already seems to handle the speed of the game that Brown and Patterson have yet to achieve. If his spring, summer and fall work with his receivers pays off as their coaches suspect, next year will be his last at the FCS level. If his passing doesn't come around, he will be a Bobcat for life.

Can't disagree with much here. Though I'll say your friend must have excellent insight on the position because while hindsight is 20-20, very few Cat fans were as negative to the QB position as your friend. We knew what we had in Rovig. Nothing amazing, but a decent starter who threw a good ball. Got us to the semi's the previous season before running into the NDSU buzzsaw. More than anything he was an excellent leader.

I only made it to a couple practices, but early on I was impressed with McKay. He seemed to control the huddle, had a nice swagger about him, threw a good ball, and seemed mobile. I thought he would be the guy to get us to Frisco if it was going to happen. Even after the Wyoming game I liked what I saw. Then a couple games I throw out because he looked just like he should have against that type of competition. The Weber game I started worrying. Didn't like how he played at all. And while it may be small, I hated he came out in a full-on sweatshirt when it was fricking 50 something degrees out. :lol:

He didn't ever look the same to me after that game. Played pretty well against Eastern but overall I thought he was sliding.

In the end I liked what I saw from Tommy. This coming season will be interesting to see how that position shakes out.

ilovethecats said:
uofmman1122 said:

The irony of this conversation is on BN myself and a couple others are getting hammered pretty good for suggesting the loss of Tommy wasn't the biggest factor in that blowout loss. Yes, it was devastating. Yes I think we would have fared better with him in all game. And yes, you could feel our bubbles burst as soon as he limped into the tent. It sucked, and I hate seeing kids leave with injury.

But the way they manhandled us in the trenches, I'm not convinced anyone at the QB position could have overcome that. I say all that to make it clear I'm not suggesting Tommy at QB would have beat you guys. Personally I would have loved him starting but that's another thing all together.
I definitely think it would've been a better game (although I thoroughly enjoyed the real one :lol: ).

As for Tommy's injury, yes, I feel you. The absolutely deflating feeling watching Sammy and then Cam go out was probably equally painful for us, where you're absolutely assured you have no chance after it happens.

Here's to next year, though! I hope you guys go 0-11. :lol: :thumb:

krammer said:
CDAGRIZ said:

cdagriz is right....the chance that Tommy ever plays a last game of a regular season is not good.

I'll take this bet. :thumb:

ilovethecats said:
on BN myself and a couple others are getting hammered pretty good for suggesting the loss of Tommy wasn't the biggest factor in that blowout loss.
Oh please indulge us. What, pray tell, do bubfats on BM believe were the 5 “biggest factors” (*cough* excuses *cough*) for that blowout loss?
My guess would be:
1-injury to taekwondo twommy,
2-a little rain three hours before the game,
3-more injuries,
4-Mars was in retrograde, and
5-the kicker just missed on the fake FG Punt for a touchback drop-kick which they ran to end their first drive in the national championship.

BTW, while we’re playing make-believe in some alternate universe, I would have liked to see taekwondo twommy get the start against the Montana Western Bulldogs of Dillon, MT.

It’s very possible the fighting taekwondo twommies of Bozeman were really just the third best team in the state last season.

Back