• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Lacking Fans/Poor Pre-Game

You guys make me nostalgic for Dornblaser, when we used to sling spuds at the Vandals. The kids thought that was pretty cool, too.

goatcreekgriz said:
You guys make me nostalgic for Dornblaser, when we used to sling spuds at the Vandals. The kids thought that was pretty cool, too.

I always remember the guys sitting on Mt. Sentinel behind the student section and throwing empties over the east stands and shattering on the track. Cheerleaders had to be alert and nimble. We never won games, but nobody cared. It was the best of times!! (UM Class of'67).

Totally agree. They need to bring back Let’s Get Ready to Rumble after the band stops playing the fight song. That is THE song that gets people going crazy

I’ve actually been pleasantly surprised at the turn out this year. The student section hasn’t been as packed as it was for WIU and Cal Poly in years - and trust me here I’ve spent a decade in that section generally being rowdy as hell. A 3/4 full student section got the wave started on Saturday as well - they seem much more engaged than when I was in school.

There’s also been the introduction of a social media account called “Zoo Crew” referencing the student section.

The pregame has definitely been a shell of its former self, but I recall Monte did come out in a jeep this last weekend.

As for the music, it’s time for an update. I know most of the “elder statesmen” Griz fans on here don’t want to leave the tradition of Cotton Eyed Joe, but something new is definitely needed going forward.

GrizInTheZoo said:
I’ve actually been pleasantly surprised at the turn out this year. The student section hasn’t been as packed as it was for WIU and Cal Poly in years - and trust me here I’ve spent a decade in that section generally being rowdy as hell. A 3/4 full student section got the wave started on Saturday as well - they seem much more engaged than when I was in school.

There’s also been the introduction of a social media account called “Zoo Crew” referencing the student section.

The pregame has definitely been a shell of its former self, but I recall Monte did come out in a jeep this last weekend.

As for the music, it’s time for an update. I know most of the “elder statesmen” Griz fans on here don’t want to leave the tradition of Cotton Eyed Joe, but something new is definitely needed going forward.

I agree with most of what you are saying but a small correction - Monte came out in a New 4 door Bronco with the top down and doors off.

I don’t think You can recapture the magic from before. They need to create something new that is better. Let’s start with getting rid of the raising the 37 flag. It is too much of a ripoff of the Seahawks 12 flag, and frankly boring and probably pints out the lack of imagination and ingenuity that is missing from Griz game day.

reinell30 said:
Griz til I die said:
Dude that Cal Poly game was totally sold out, and I do think the WIU game was as well (if not, it was close). Dixie State was a garbage opponent and a garbage game, I can understand why attendance was low. This week, we're back into conference play, it's the 20th anniversary of the 2001 national championship team, I think it'll be rocking.

No offense, sold out on paper is not butts in seats. I sit on the east side and look across to the west side and see aluminum shining everywhere. People sit on West side and look across to the east side and see aluminum shining everywhere. They scan our tickets when we come in, why can't they get an accurate head count?
I believe all college football reports attendance as tickets sold. Most of the empty seats on either side near midfield are season tickets, paid for. No-shows.

Grizbeer said:

I don’t think You can recapture the magic from before. They need to create something new that is better. Let’s start with getting rid of the raising the 37 flag. It is too much of a ripoff of the Seahawks 12 flag, and frankly boring and probably pints out the lack of imagination and ingenuity that is missing from Griz game day.
Imagination and ingenuity like the kissing cam, the dance cam, guns, a wave and the karaoke? The 37 flag is about football; we're at a football game. You picked one thing to get rid of; suggesting nothing to add. Is that your contribution to the imagination and ingenuity required?

kemajic said:
Grizbeer said:

Imagination and ingenuity like the kissing cam, the dance cam, guns, a wave and the karaoke? The 37 flag is about football; we're at a football game. You picked one thing to get rid of; suggesting nothing to add. Is that your contribution to the imagination and ingenuity required?
Yes that’s my contribution. Thanks. Never change Kem, your gold.

Grizbeer said:

I agree with most of what you are saying but a small correction - Monte came out in a New 4 door Bronco with the top down and doors off.

Agreed fully - also good call on the Bronco. I think the pit stop at the beer garden prior to kickoff had me a little sideways.

You nostalgists longing for the days when rolls of toilet paper shot thru the stands at dornblaser? That was where the cheer "MONTANA........GRIZZLIES" originated reverberating from one side to the other in a game when BOBBY CONNORS from Glasgow came off the bench to lead the previously pass less GRIZ. To a 24-21 come from behind win over Nevada - reno.

grizzlygrumpa said:
The Cheer came out spontaneously in those days, not at the suggestion of an announcer ; and there were no commercials....
The commercial timeouts are the worst enemy of the game day.

Many people aren’t interested in watching Dixie State or other teams like Dixie State. Book Wyoming and the stands will be full. Haslam needs to increase his efforts or attendance will continue to deteriorate. Yes, I realize those seats have been paid by season tickets.

kemajic said:
grizzlygrumpa said:
The Cheer came out spontaneously in those days, not at the suggestion of an announcer ; and there were no commercials....

Dixie State aside... the game was so choppy with all the TV time outs and video's that just drained the energy from the crowd. Love the student athletes but long interviews after a first down stoppage when the crowd is getting amped up just doesn't cut it! Programs that make it work realize when to play these crowd sleeping pills and when it's time to get everyone excited and ready to rock... the team watches film, might suggest our new marketing director does as well. RTD in the stadium should also be a priority!

Spanky2 said:
Many people aren’t interested in watching Dixie State or other teams like Dixie State. Book Wyoming and the stands will be full. Haslam needs to increase his efforts or attendance will continue to deteriorate. Yes, I realize those seats have been paid by season tickets.
Wishful thinking Spanky until there are some conference changes. The FBS conferences will not allow their teams to play in FCS venues. But that would be the biggest benefit of being in the MWC, visits from Utah St, Wyoming, BSU, Nevada, Co St would be electric in the Stadium.

GrizTexas said:
kemajic said:

Dixie State aside... the game was so choppy with all the TV time outs and video's that just drained the energy from the crowd. Love the student athletes but long interviews after a first down stoppage when the crowd is getting amped up just doesn't cut it! Programs that make it work realize when to play these crowd sleeping pills and when it's time to get everyone excited and ready to rock... the team watches film, might suggest our new marketing director does as well. RTD in the stadium should also be a priority!
++++

kemajic said:
Spanky2 said:
Wishful thinking Spanky until there are some conference changes. The FBS conferences will not allow their teams to play in FCS venues. But that would be the biggest benefit of being in the MWC, visits from Utah St, Wyoming, BSU, Nevada, Co St would be electric in the Stadium.
Thanks, Kem. I wonder if there is an exception to the rule since FBS and FCS are both Division 1? Another nearby opponent could be Washington State. Continually booking schools like Dixie State isn’t going to cut the mustard. It would be worth having an attorney examine the rule.

Spanky2 said:
kemajic said:
Thanks, Kem. I wonder if there is an exception to the rule since FBS and FCS are both Division 1? Another nearby opponent could be Washington State. Continually booking schools like Dixie State isn’t going to cut the mustard. It would be worth having an attorney examine the rule.

I'm not sure if there's an exception to the rule but even if there were, you'd be hard pressed to have any FBS program worth anything be willing to play at an FCS venue, even at one like Montana. Add to the fact that Montana just beat a team like Washington, no other good FBS team is going to be wiling to play at WA-Griz where their chances of losing are greater. That I am aware of, the last time an FBS program visited an FCS site was when Montana hosted Idaho back in 2003. After that, Idaho said "Thanks but no thanks" during the remainder of their FBS years.

If you think about it, it makes sense why an FBS program would not play at an FCS site... It's just not worth it, both financially and doesn't help their brand. That's the same reason why Montana doesn't play at Central Washington or Bemidji State. The only way we'll ever see teams like App State, Boise State, Utah State, Nevada, Washington State, etc. inside Washington-Grizzly Stadium is if we become an FBS program.

Back