• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Lacking Fans/Poor Pre-Game

bigskyguy said:
maroonandsilver said:
UM Athletics has a new Director of Marketing and Community Relations. Mike Murtagh came from Iowa where he was Assistant Director of Marketing. His duties at UM include "game day fan experience". Perhaps complaints should be registered with him.
Well Mike definitely needs to reevaluate what is being done or turn the duties over to someone who understands what "The Game Day Experiense' is all about. You don't fix what is not broken. Granted "bring em out" is lame and should be replaced but "Lets Get Ready To Rumble" with a full stadium clapping and the North End Zone going crazy has to effect the other team plus is so much fun.
Where are the T shirt cannons?
It feels like the university wants to ruin the game day experience.

Reluctantly, I agree 100 percent with this post. I know some of my buddies live out of state and can’t make every game but are good about transferring their tickets so people can get a chance to attend. My dad (81) hasn’t gone yet because of delta, but probably will
When things subside. But on the whole the “game day experience” lack inspiration and frankly, it sucks. The tired same old stuff was worn out but replacing it with nothing is not helping. What a missed opprtunity. Of course the biggest driver is football success which is looking good. I will say the student zoo has looked pretty rowdy at times.

Spanky2 said:
kemajic said:
Wishful thinking Spanky until there are some conference changes. The FBS conferences will not allow their teams to play in FCS venues. But that would be the biggest benefit of being in the MWC, visits from Utah St, Wyoming, BSU, Nevada, Co St would be electric in the Stadium.
Thanks, Kem. I wonder if there is an exception to the rule since FBS and FCS are both Division 1? Another nearby opponent could be Washington State. Continually booking schools like Dixie State isn’t going to cut the mustard. It would be worth having an attorney examine the rule.
Don't think so; they think of FCS as DII. I believe by now most FBS conferences have it in their by-laws. For the same reason, don't expect Rocky to get the Griz on the schedule.

Buttegrizzle said:
bigskyguy said:
Well Mike definitely needs to reevaluate what is being done or turn the duties over to someone who understands what "The Game Day Experiense' is all about. You don't fix what is not broken. Granted "bring em out" is lame and should be replaced but "Lets Get Ready To Rumble" with a full stadium clapping and the North End Zone going crazy has to effect the other team plus is so much fun.
Where are the T shirt cannons?
It feels like the university wants to ruin the game day experience.

Reluctantly, I agree 100 percent with this post. I know some of my buddies live out of state and can’t make every game but are good about transferring their tickets so people can get a chance to attend. My dad (81) hasn’t gone yet because of delta, but probably will
When things subside. But on the whole the “game day experience” lack inspiration and frankly, it sucks. The tired same old stuff was worn out but replacing it with nothing is not helping. What a missed opprtunity. Of course the biggest driver is football success which is looking good. I will say the student zoo has looked pretty rowdy at times.
It's a challenge. Different fans want different things; very hard to please everyone attending. The biggest unsolvable problem is that there is so much dead time to fill with all the TV commercial time-outs. They seem to increase in number and length. Fans are hard to please then because they're irritated about the game interruption. I think TV coverage is the biggest enemy of the in-house game experience. It might be different if we made any money off it.

get'em_griz said:
Spanky2 said:
Thanks, Kem. I wonder if there is an exception to the rule since FBS and FCS are both Division 1? Another nearby opponent could be Washington State. Continually booking schools like Dixie State isn’t going to cut the mustard. It would be worth having an attorney examine the rule.

I'm not sure if there's an exception to the rule but even if there were, you'd be hard pressed to have any FBS program worth anything be willing to play at an FCS venue, even at one like Montana. Add to the fact that Montana just beat a team like Washington, no other good FBS team is going to be wiling to play at WA-Griz where their chances of losing are greater. That I am aware of, the last time an FBS program visited an FCS site was when Montana hosted Idaho back in 2003. After that, Idaho said "Thanks but no thanks" during the remainder of their FBS years.

If you think about it, it makes sense why an FBS program would not play at an FCS site... It's just not worth it, both financially and doesn't help their brand. That's the same reason why Montana doesn't play at Central Washington or Bemidji State. The only way we'll ever see teams like App State, Boise State, Utah State, Nevada, Washington State, etc. inside Washington-Grizzly Stadium is if we become an FBS program.

All good points. However, I wonder if a Butte old fashioned promoter put together an annual home and home battle between Wyoming and Montana might work? It seems to me that fans from both states would be hanging from the rafters to see those games. Other than the Griz-Cat game, it seems apparent that Griz football may be weakening as an attraction. Moving to FBS and bringing to the stadium better teams would help, but there seems to be considerable opposition to such a move.

Spanky2 said:
get'em_griz said:
I'm not sure if there's an exception to the rule but even if there were, you'd be hard pressed to have any FBS program worth anything be willing to play at an FCS venue, even at one like Montana. Add to the fact that Montana just beat a team like Washington, no other good FBS team is going to be wiling to play at WA-Griz where their chances of losing are greater. That I am aware of, the last time an FBS program visited an FCS site was when Montana hosted Idaho back in 2003. After that, Idaho said "Thanks but no thanks" during the remainder of their FBS years.

If you think about it, it makes sense why an FBS program would not play at an FCS site... It's just not worth it, both financially and doesn't help their brand. That's the same reason why Montana doesn't play at Central Washington or Bemidji State. The only way we'll ever see teams like App State, Boise State, Utah State, Nevada, Washington State, etc. inside Washington-Grizzly Stadium is if we become an FBS program.

All good points. However, I wonder if a Butte old fashioned promoter put together an annual home and home battle between Wyoming and Montana might work? It seems to me that fans from both states would be hanging from the rafters to see those games. Other than the Griz-Cat game, it seems apparent that Griz football may be weakening as an attraction. Moving to FBS and bringing to the stadium better teams would help, but there seems to be considerable opposition to such a move.
You and I got to see the annual UM/Wyoming games in Billings as kids, as mis-matched as they were. They were conference games in the old Skyline Conf. Like a lot of other good things, it's in the past. The only stadiums of size are now at the Universities and until FBS by-laws are changed (which they won't), moving to FBS is the only way to get these regional matchups into a MT venue.

No FBS team will ever play at WGS while we're fcs. Period. Most conferences prohibit it, and for those in conferences that do not, there is literally no upside and a huge downside for them. Plus they'd lose revenue.

Hell, it's nearly impossible to even get a MWC team in to Missoula to play a basketball game, and theoretically at least we're on the same level there, and even outdraw many of them. The problem is our affiliation with fcs, and even while there's no such thing in basketball, it affects perception and we're viewed as "lower" division.

Want better teams in Missoula? Time to move (not up, to) FBS.

EverettGriz said:
No FBS team will ever play at WGS while we're fcs. Period. Most conferences prohibit it, and for those in conferences that do not, there is literally no upside and a huge downside for them. Plus they'd lose revenue.

Hell, it's nearly impossible to even get a MWC team in to Missoula to play a basketball game, and theoretically at least we're on the same level there, and even outdraw many of them. The problem is our affiliation with fcs, and even while there's no such thing in basketball, it affects perception and we're viewed as "lower" division.

Many would like to stay in a lower division to get less exposure and keep a low profile. That way, we can play “for something” and continue thinking it’s huge news if Neil Everett mentions the Mo Club on SportCenter once a year. It’s why App, Boise, Nevada, Marshall, Coastal, etc. all are begging to come back to the lower level.

'68griz said:
kemajic said:
Now, to sort out all the invitations to select the right one.

This is truth! There is essentially nowhere for UM to go.

Since the grass is so green on the other side, we could always go the independent route. I'm sure there would be a pluthera of invitations shortly thereafter! :roll:

EverettGriz said:

I’m on board. There is no upside to being left behind. The only hesitation is where to go. Even Dixie State and SUU are going FBS and nobody (and I mean nobody) wants to be in a shitass WAC conference with them. This is an old topic, I know, but the best way forward Might be to move the whole BSC to FBS, of course replacing some of our deadwood (I’m talking to you Tiny Pants) along the way.

kemajic said:
EverettGriz said:

Isn't this analogous to a 35 year old saying, "I don't have enough money to retire now, so it'll never happen"?

While we may not have that opportunity right this very moment, we better damn well start planning for it, because it will come. And if you don't support a move to the FBS, quit bitching about gameday atmosphere in games against awful, uninspiring opponents, which is currently about 80% of them.

Nebraska is the latest to produce a light show between the third and fourth quarters in an effort to further engage fans in the stands. Huskers Senior Assoc. AD for Marketing & Multimedia Meier: "We want to make people say, 'Well, damn, I should've been in the stadium instead of sitting on my couch.' People are talking about the light show and they're like, 'Man, you should've been there. It was way cooler in person.' We're always trying to give our fans a reason to come out and stay until the end as well." The Huskers plan to continue the practice for games played late enough in the day.

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/the-scene-light-show-gives-husker-fans-one-more-reason-to-get-off-couch-and/article_1e34ff41-4fe8-5f99-99b8-ea9985c3965d.html

----------------------
I think we all get the Covid19 thing and how hard it is... however at some point, long concession lines... lines to get in, difficult to access bathrooms, high ticket prices and your average fan probably quits coming to games to watch; opting for the comfort of their home or local sports bar. Sure, the guys who love football will still show up to support the Griz, but don't underestimate how important having a full stadium is. The athletic department would be wise to at least have a plan or start planning on how to keep fans engaged at games and be thinking outside the box. I certainly don't take for granted all the wonderful fans who drive to Missoula on the weekends to spend their hard earned money on food, hotels, shopping in the Missoula area. If the fan experience isn't that great or goes downward... it will have an impact.

kemajic said:
Buttegrizzle said:
It's a challenge. Different fans want different things; very hard to please everyone attending. The biggest unsolvable problem is that there is so much dead time to fill with all the TV commercial time-outs. They seem to increase in number and length. Fans are hard to please then because they're irritated about the game interruption. I think TV coverage is the biggest enemy of the in-house game experience. It might be different if we made any money off it.

TV timeouts suck but a good marketing team should view this as an opportunity.

Kem’s point is well taken. I automatically thought that the down time would be a great opportunity to promote the University through public acknowledgement of student achievement and programs. This would likely bore a bunch of folks.

The best cfb traditions are interactive with the fans, think Jump Around at Wisconsin or W. Virginia with Take Me Home, Country Road.

Aside from selling some ads, there seems to be some free time the University has in front of 25k people. A great opportunity to engage, promote, interact and entertain.

The AD marketing team should reach out to the students and the fans. We offer a marketing degree, get those kids involved. Solicit ideas from fans like they did a couple years back. Marketing is like a shark, if you stop moving forward, you die.

Brother Bear said:
Nebraska is the latest to produce a light show between the third and fourth quarters in an effort to further engage fans in the stands. Huskers Senior Assoc. AD for Marketing & Multimedia Meier: "We want to make people say, 'Well, damn, I should've been in the stadium instead of sitting on my couch.' People are talking about the light show and they're like, 'Man, you should've been there. It was way cooler in person.' We're always trying to give our fans a reason to come out and stay until the end as well." The Huskers plan to continue the practice for games played late enough in the day.

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/the-scene-light-show-gives-husker-fans-one-more-reason-to-get-off-couch-and/article_1e34ff41-4fe8-5f99-99b8-ea9985c3965d.html

----------------------
I think we all get the Covid19 thing and how hard it is... however at some point, long concession lines... lines to get in, difficult to access bathrooms, high ticket prices and your average fan probably quits coming to games to watch; opting for the comfort of their home or local sports bar. Sure, the guys who love football will still show up to support the Griz, but don't underestimate how important having a full stadium is. The athletic department would be wise to at least have a plan or start planning on how to keep fans engaged at games and be thinking outside the box. I certainly don't take for granted all the wonderful fans who drive to Missoula on the weekends to spend their hard earned money on food, hotels, shopping in the Missoula area. If the fan experience isn't that great or goes downward... it will have an impact.

This! Good post Brother Bear.

EverettGriz said:

It does affect the perception of all sports In which UM competes as well as the perception of UM. We are regarded as a Division 2 school.

EverettGriz said:
kemajic said:

Isn't this analogous to a 35 year old saying, "I don't have enough money to retire now, so it'll never happen"?

While we may not have that opportunity right this very moment, we better damn well start planning for it, because it will come. And if you don't support a move to the FBS, quit bitching about gameday atmosphere in games against awful, uninspiring opponents, which is currently about 80% of them.

I really try not to get too negative about UM because I love the place and always will. That said, if history is any indication, we will likely be caught thumbing our buttholes when the time comes because "we've been FCS/I-AA for years and it worked just fine." Some might even make a decent argument that we're already in that position now. Many of our national peer programs have already left us behind. The "we've always done it this way" mindset can be infuriating at times.

Agree about the gameday complaints coupled with "stay put because meaningless bowls" attitude is a bit of a paradox. Dixie State, North Alabama, CWU, Monmouth, wow. Imagine MSU fans. Drake and USD this season. They aren't exactly "get me on an airplane" matchups.

Buttegrizzle said:
EverettGriz said:

I’m on board. There is no upside to being left behind. The only hesitation is where to go. Even Dixie State and SUU are going FBS and nobody (and I mean nobody) wants to be in a shitass WAC conference with them. This is an old topic, I know, but the best way forward Might be to move the whole BSC to FBS, of course replacing some of our deadwood (I’m talking to you Tiny Pants) along the way.

to my knowledge the new WAC is FCS and i haven't heard any plans for that to change....

CDAGRIZ said:
EverettGriz said:

I really try not to get too negative about UM because I love the place and always will. That said, if history is any indication, we will likely be caught thumbing our buttholes when the time comes because "we've been FCS/I-AA for years and it worked just fine." Some might even make a decent argument that we're already in that position now. Many of our national peer programs have already left us behind. The "we've always done it this way" mindset can be infuriating at times.

Agree about the gameday complaints coupled with "stay put because meaningless bowls" attitude is a bit of a paradox. Dixie State, North Alabama, CWU, Monmouth, wow. Imagine MSU fans. Drake and USD this season. They aren't exactly "get me on an airplane" matchups.

This.

I have season tickets, but there hasn't been a home game worth spending the money it takes for me to get to Missoula.

Back