• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

New Griz

CleanHOUSE said:
grizindabox said:
or TDC was fine with him walking.

Yeah I agree, if your going to keep the trust of your team an uphold the sanctity of veteran leadership then I don't think you can take Falls scholarship. So I think Falls must have said "we need to get this guy in and i dont need my scholarship you can use it" or TDC said "we taking your scholarship and your welcome to stay if, but its fine if you move on" which would indicate the relationship isnt great...and there has been some turmoil with Falls. Or it might not be Falls of Scholarship. My guess would be the first, Falls strikes me as a guy that wants to win above all any would love to go down in history by making the tournament and pull a upset. If money wasn't an issue I would give up my scholi in my last year for a the best shot at glory.

The first scenario that you mention is most definitely not what happened. I can assure you that Timmy did not just volunteer to give up his scholarship out of nowhere simply from the goodness of his heart. The family was not the least bit stoked with what went down, but have made the best of it regardless because Timmy is a such a great teammate. How that went down internally, I'm not sure, but I am 100% sure it wasn't without some hesitation and disappointment on their part.

Your last sentence is for sure a factor at play and I can imagine that perhaps TDC knew Falls would feel the same if put in that position...

gotgame75 said:
CleanHOUSE said:
Yeah I agree, if your going to keep the trust of your team an uphold the sanctity of veteran leadership then I don't think you can take Falls scholarship. So I think Falls must have said "we need to get this guy in and i dont need my scholarship you can use it" or TDC said "we taking your scholarship and your welcome to stay if, but its fine if you move on" which would indicate the relationship isnt great...and there has been some turmoil with Falls. Or it might not be Falls of Scholarship. My guess would be the first, Falls strikes me as a guy that wants to win above all any would love to go down in history by making the tournament and pull a upset. If money wasn't an issue I would give up my scholi in my last year for a the best shot at glory.

The first scenario that you mention is most definitely not what happened. I can assure you that Timmy did not just volunteer to give up his scholarship out of nowhere simply from the goodness of his heart. The family was not the least bit stoked with what went down, but have made the best of it regardless because Timmy is a such a great teammate. How that went down internally, I'm not sure, but I am 100% sure it wasn't without some hesitation and disappointment on their part.

Your last sentence is for sure a factor at play and I can imagine that perhaps TDC knew Falls would feel the same if put in that position...

I'm not sure what is true or false regarding who sacrificed a scholarship this season. With that said, regardless of who it is, that player will forever have my upmost respect. That is the ultimate team sacrifice at the collegiate level.

If it's Falls, I better not hear or see anyone talking trash about him this season. Falls already has my respect. Doing this would truly put him at the top my all time favorite Grizzlies.

GrizBall said:
Zirg said:
Just for the record, after subtracting the Pine Manor game, Parker's assist avg drops from 7.8 to to 6.88 (which would still lead the Big Sky) and A/TO ratio drops from 1.76 to 1.63. I found at least 9 Big Sky starting guards with a better ratio than 1.76 (Radebaugh, Frey, Magnuson, Shelton, Fowler, Hauser, Perry, Rouse, Johnson). The more I research the more the 4.4 TO/game is alarming. He had a 1 assist, 8 turnover game vs Merrimack (not mentioned in his press release). Yikes!

It is clear that you don’t think Parker is a good pick-up. That’s fine as people can have different views of players. But your attempt to use stats to justify your opinion doesn’t make sense in many cases.

First, in your “Nine Starting Guard” argument you used four guards that averaged 2.5, 2.5, 1.7 and 1.3 apg. Did you bother to look at the official BSC stat leader board? Do you know why those 4 don’t appear in the BSC Top 10 A/TO despite having better ratios than people in the Top 10? Because they didn’t average enough assists to qualify! Johnson has a 1.85 A/TO ratio on 1.3apg - that’s fantastic! How is that even comparable? If you want to make comparisons with the top 5 A/TO guards on your list, that is more than fair. Bringing in the bottom 4 weakens your argument.

The UM record for most assists in a game is 14 (against Simon Fraser in 1989, which by the way was an NAIA school at the time - quite the irony, huh?) Parker against D-1 teams had assist totals of 16 (would be a UM record) 13 (against Boston College from the ACC) and a few other 12 assist games. He had 213 total assists his freshman year (also would be a UM record). In coming up with your “modified” stats, you stripped the 24 game from him, but counted a full game against him when he was hurt 5 minutes into it. Even without the 24 game, if you don’t count the 5 minute game he averaged 7.18apg (also would be a UM record).

In addition, if you don’t count the 5 minute game against him, he averaged 5.1 Rebounds per game which would have been 2nd on this year’s UM team.

And worst of all, questioning why his worst game wasn’t in the press release seems a little petty.

Who knows how it will turn out? Are his turnovers concerning? Yes. In the end I look at his overall body of work, the fact he is now an upperclassman and the one of the best point guards in UM history wanted him on the team. That’s good enough for me . . . For now.

I absolutely have no firm opinion about Parker. I was just sick of people drooling over some meaningless 24 assist, 36 minute performance in a 58 point win vs a terrible D3 team. If we are gonna tout his BEST game, why not also look at his worst game? I agree that both are silly to base a real opinion about him. Stats can be manipulated and that was my whole point. Nobody on this site has probably ever seen this guy play in person, so we are all speculating. I am sure he will be a nice addition actually.

Delvon Anderson's 14 assist game vs (another horrible non NCAA team) Simon Fraser is never mentioned when talking about how great he was. He was consistently a great player, NOT because of one meaningless game.

Latest posts

Back