• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

New Griz

Bjorn Bjornstein said:
UMFan12 said:
I really don’t get why you don’t see Falls as a possibility. The original post said it was someone who would be a surprise if we found out who it was, and played a lot of minutes. Throw in that the other 2 possibilities in Egun and Vazquez each have big time potential, especially Egun, and the fact that Parker plays the role Falls played for the offense these past few years he is just slightly better at it. I don’t get why you don’t see Falls as a possibility. And before you pull the defense card, we have also added Satterwhite, making Falls an even more likely candidate.
Since we're speculating; I also wondered if Mack (given that he's an in-state student) might be a possibility.

This crossed my mind as well.

I thought of this too. Additionally, I wonder if some thought is being given to having Mack redshirt this upcoming season. Steadman looks likely to start and there seems to be a decent number of other big men.

GrizWhiz said:
I thought of this too. Additionally, I wonder if some thought is being given to having Mack redshirt this upcoming season. Steadman looks likely to start and there seems to be a decent number of other big men.

Henderson can't play until after 1st semester, correct? That gives us Steadman, Mack, Owens, and Bannon as our bigs. Still feels "thin" to me...

Bjorn Bjornstein said:
GrizWhiz said:

Henderson can't play until after 1st semester, correct? That gives us Steadman, Mack, Owens, and Bannon as our bigs. Still feels "thin" to me...
Carter-Hollinger also, if you consider a four a "big."

I highly doubt all 15 of these players will use a year of eligibility. Whether or not Parker receives a waiver, which I think he will, I'd be willing to bet at least 2 players redshirt. Though I seem to disagree with the general consensus which 2 that would be. My guess is Beasley and Whitney for the record.

We also have to take into account that there will be more minutes to go around. Pridgett and Manuel were 2nd and 3rd in the conference in minutes per game. In large part because they had to be. We have more depth this year and there will be a wider spread in minutes.

Finally I think we often underestimate the reason why these kids come to Montana. It's to win championships and go to the NCAA tournament. They are all highly competitive guys and if they buy in and trust Trav everything should work out. There's plenty of evidence to back it up. Not to mention we still produce a lot of professional basketball players who have successful careers.

Grizbballfan14 said:
I highly doubt all 15 of these players will use a year of eligibility. Whether or not Parker receives a waiver, which I think he will, I'd be willing to bet at least 2 players redshirt. Though I seem to disagree with the general consensus which 2 that would be. My guess is Beasley and Whitney for the record.

We also have to take into account that there will be more minutes to go around. Pridgett and Manuel were 2nd and 3rd in the conference in minutes per game. In large part because they had to be. We have more depth this year and there will be a wider spread in minutes.

Finally I think we often underestimate the reason why these kids come to Montana. It's to win championships and go to the NCAA tournament. They are all highly competitive guys and if they buy in and trust Trav everything should work out. There's plenty of evidence to back it up. Not to mention we still produce a lot of professional basketball players who have successful careers.

Don't have any evidence but I'm thinking that the new "free agency" atmosphere has changed the way guys think. They may be looking down the road knowing there is a decent chance several won't get the minutes they want and a transfer redshirt is likely in their future. So unless coming off injury they may want that redshirt in their back pocket rather than use it as a true freshman.

Definitely agree that most of the playing time is up for grabs for those that earn it. Even more than last year.

TouchdownMontana said:
The player who lost his scholarship is in fact Timmy Falls.

If true, this is pretty hard to understand. Of course, there may be a number of factors in this that we know nothing about.

If that is true, it isn't that Timmy "lost" his scholarship - it would be that his family graciously picked up the tab for his last year of eligibility. If true, what a wonderful gesture and gift to the program. Now, can we stop discussing personal issues that shouldn't be made public?

TouchdownMontana said:
The player who lost his scholarship is in fact Timmy Falls.
Told you. Pretty easy to understand given the circumstances but feel bad for him and his great family. The reason I say I get it is that Satterwhite will take his role on defense, and Parker will play a similar role on the offensive end and has a huge chance he will play next year given the fact he is moving closer to home plus NCAA starting to lean toward allowing transfers.

717s7e said:
If that is true, it isn't that Timmy "lost" his scholarship - it would be that his family graciously picked up the tab for his last year of eligibility. If true, what a wonderful gesture and gift to the program. Now, can we stop discussing personal issues that shouldn't be made public?

Yup. Nothing has changed with Falls playing status, is my understanding. He will start. Now someone else, like Egun, won't lose his scholarship and not be able to afford to attend, and the Griz can bring in another player they want. I suppose Falls and his family weren't necessarily excited about this, but they've apparently accepted it and Falls plans to stay and lead his team to the ncaa's, is my understanding. Good for Timmy Falls, and his family. He's popular with his teammates, and some fans I know believe he's the most popular player on the team.

PlayerRep said:
717s7e said:

Yup. Nothing has changed with Falls playing status, is my understanding. He will start. Now someone else, like Egun, won't lose his scholarship and not be able to afford to attend, and the Griz can bring in another player they want. I suppose Falls and his family weren't necessarily excited about this, but they've apparently accepted it and Falls plans to stay and lead his team to the ncaa's, is my understanding. Good for Timmy Falls, and his family. He's popular with his teammates, and some fans I know believe he's the most popular player on the team.

That would be quite a sacrifice by the Falls' family and says a lot about how they feel about the program. Just watching the guys on the floor you can tell they all root for each other and that kind of team first attitude is great to see as a fan. Coach D is building something special here for my money.

PlayerRep said:
717s7e said:

I was always under the impression that Timmy was a fan favorite earlier in his career. I've never understood why we seem to be so critical of him here on egriz.

Grizbballfan14 said:
PlayerRep said:

I was always under the impression that Timmy was a fan favorite earlier in his career. I've never understood why we seem to be so critical of him here on egriz.

As more of an old school guy he can drive you nuts with some iffy passes and reactions to calls he doesn't like. He won me over with his effort and intensity and desire to make a great play to set up teammates for a finish that brings the house and the bench to their feet all fired up. A play you will remember. Plus I like a guy that would rather make a pass than score himself. Guy just wants to win so I'll take him any day on my team despite his minor flaws, but I can see why his style bugs some folks. No biggie to me.

Hoops watcher said:
Grizbballfan14 said:

As more of an old school guy he can drive you nuts with some iffy passes and reactions to calls he doesn't like. He won me over with his effort and intensity and desire to make a great play to set up teammates for a finish that brings the house and the bench to their feet all fired up. A play you will remember. Plus I like a guy that would rather make a pass than score himself. Guy just wants to win so I'll take him any day on my team despite his minor flaws, but I can see why his style bugs some folks. No biggie to me.
Being a fan of the Best Player to dawn an LSU uniform and arguably the best NCAA basketball player ever & that of course being Pistol Pete, Timmy Falls will be the closest I will ever come to that kind of play! :thumb: Love his play & have from the start. Have a feeling his Senior year will be one to remember!

Player Rep said: "suppose Falls and his family weren't necessarily excited about this: -- knowing the family, I assume that this was their idea and that they are excited for the opportunity to help the team. These are quality people who appreciate what Travis and the U have done to help their son.

717s7e said:
Player Rep said: "suppose Falls and his family weren't necessarily excited about this: -- knowing the family, I assume that this was their idea and that they are excited for the opportunity to help the team. These are quality people who appreciate what Travis and the U have done to help their son.

Good to know.

Grizbballfan14 said:
PlayerRep said:

Count me as one who has been "critical" of falls I'll own it.
I've said he has a role as a bench/role player for a good big sky team, there is nothing wrong with that, it's just the way it is. I think it's funny that some want to compare him to Pete Maravich or Jason "white chocolate" Williams.
On the 2019-2020 mbb all big sky conference team there were 12 guards and 2 guard/forwards on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and honorable mention teams and no falls listed.
He definitely has a place on this team, just not as a starter.

braves84 said:
Grizbballfan14 said:

I've said he has a role as a bench/role player for a good big sky team, there is nothing wrong with that, it's just the way it is. I think it's funny that some want to compare him to Pete Maravich or Jason "white chocolate" Williams.
On the 2019-2020 mbb all big sky conference team there were 12 guards and 2 guard/forwards on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and honorable mention teams and no falls listed.
Bobby Moorehead was a 2 year starter that has played in more games than any other griz in history but he was never named to an all big sky team. Not all 5 of our starters are going to make an all big sky team but that doesnt mean they don't deserve to be starters.

Personally, I dont put much stock into all conference awards in the big sky anyways.

Grizbballfan14 said:
braves84 said:
Bobby Moorehead was a 2 year starter that has played in more games than any other griz in history but he was never named to an all big sky team. Not all 5 of our starters are going to make an all big sky team but that doesnt mean they don't deserve to be starters.

Personally, I dont put much stock into all conference awards in the big sky anyways.
I think falls role this upcoming year should be similar to the 2018-19 year when he backed up oguine, and rorie.
With the talent they have in the back court this up coming year there with be alot more competition for minuets, which isn't a bad thing.

Latest posts

Back