• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

NoCo Thread

Our typical offense bit us in the ass countless times again. How many games until DeCuire changes it? The guards multiple times had to stop dribble penetration because of the 2 bigs being camped on the blocks, like the offense calls for. That doesn’t work. You need space to drive. We don’t have any.

I'd have liked to see Vasquez take that last shot...So, have the
Griz beaten anyone with a winning record?

When you’re leading by 5 in a very competitive back and forth game like that at the final media timeout, you gotta find a way to bury them. Northern Colorado is a lethal 3 point shooting team and you can’t give them open opportunities, and we gave them way too many tonight. I also find it mind boggling that Steadman wasn’t in the game for the like final 5 minutes, and that’s what ultimately killed us. Bannan was out of position on Humes game winning shot there and I guarantee you Steadman wouldn’t have been.

We seem to have a way of blowing any close game. Maybe chalk it up to youth or chemistry. It’s now a trend. This team has a long ways to go before they will be battling for a title.

I just heard post gamss decuire comment "that is what happens when you don't have experiece..".its hard to imagine a more disrespectful thing to say to a couple players whose experience is available

grizzlygrumpa said:
I just heard post gamss decuire comment "that is what happens when you don't have experiece..".its hard to imagine a more disrespectful thing to say to a couple players whose experience is available

My suggestion, imagine harder.

grizonbob said:
sacstateman said:
Curious....after sparking you guys in the first half, why hasn't Egun seen the floor in the second?

Because Whitney and Beasley have been playing so well, I guess

The main issue with this board is that it is easily fooled by empty statistics. If Player A scores 30 points but is
-10 while on the floor then this board celebrates that player. The main issue with this team is that plays players that have significant negative +\- while on the floor more than others players that have positive +\- which is huge when you have lost 3 league games by a total of 4 points.

I can easily make the analytical argument that DCH, Parker and Egun should be playing a lot more while others should be playing less.

At the end of the day, you need to score 1 point more than the other team. Any decisions that are made without that in mind are losing decisions.

grizzlygrumpa said:
I don’t think it’s disrespect at all. He’s right. 2 years ago we got pounded by graduation with one of the most talented teams in program history, and we’re still trying to put together the pieces to a very young team. The good news is Steadman is the only Senior and other then that the entire team returns next year, and even Steadman can choose to return next year. Next year, watch out. We’ve had so much roster turnover and now have 10 reliable guys and a good rotation for many years to come. And by the time Boise rolls around, this team will be way better then they are right now.

I wouldn't really call the loss a blown game. With a 57-52 lead at approx the 3 minute mark, Montana missed two wide-open, good looks. The Bears made theirs, one an in-your-face contested shot by Hume. A critical traveling call on DJ hurt... but I'm not going to blame a kid who played his heart out. The game was statistically quite even, with three exceptions: The Bears shot 46% from the field, while the Griz shot 41%. NColo. had 13 assists to Montana's 5. NColo. made nine treys to Montana's one, a spread of 8 points. Otherwise the Griz outscored the Bears by 12 at the ft line (20-21 to 7-17). Simply put: this young team will have to learn how to make crucial plays down the stretch if it wants to avoid the pain of losing on a last second shot or free throw.

There are dozens of Jud Heathcoate quotes where he basically said: "A good team learns that you win games in the 5 minutes before the final shot. If you let a game get to one possession, then you have to learn to accept whatever happens in the chaos of the final seconds."

grizzlygrumpa said:

And an easy way to deflect from any coaching decisions when you have lost 3 league games by 4 points.

grizzlygrumpa said:

The coach's comment is not disrespectful. If you would to discuss the point, let me know.

https://twitter.com/SkylineSportsMT/status/1345599799123267584

WATCH: Montana Griz hoops press conference: UM falls to UNC, 64-62 w/ Travis DeCuire, Robby Beasley and Brandon Whitney
https://skylinesportsmt.com/montana-griz-hoops-press-conference-um-falls-to-unc-64-62/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYvt_sgPGnw&feature=youtu.be

It doesn’t matter what the coach said, and the stats don’t matter. We’re 0-3 in the BSC, and not very good

Big Sage said:
It doesn’t matter what the coach said, and the stats don’t matter. We’re 0-3 in the BSC, and not very good

Exactly! Was is the difference going forward?

Big Sage said:
No we are a good team and have great players, we’re just not very good at finishing games, and that’s what’s cost us.

Latest posts

Back