• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

NoCo Thread

fanofzoo said:
Mousegriz said:
Hume made that last play.....and another big one few minutes earlier ....from behind the basket. Cut baseline stopped behind hoop....Bannan slipped. Hume caught it and came from behind hoop to lay it in. Unusual and very effective plays. No real fault on Bannan and whoever thinks preseason all big sky "big" man Steadman would have done better hasn't been watching him this year. "Big" man did pull down ONE rebound last night. 6 points......missed a few easy little hook shots.....traveled at least once (like most games) while trying to establish "strong " post position. Underwhelming are best.

Hey pre-season Big Sky mvp. :roll:

Nice game for Steadman today! Let's see if they can hold on late and get a "W"!

Steadman shows up huge.

Down 2 in after the under 8. Scores the next 5 unanswered and 7 of the next 11 points.

Gets a block and a couple huge boards as well.

This team is so much better with Whitney/Parker coming off of low screens because he's absolutely a beast with an angle to the rim.

Ref Show:

Baseline official calls charge. NC coach chirps and wing official calls hand check. The wing official literally didn't raise his hand until after the baseline calls the whistle. Smoots hits both FT's and Griz are up two with 1:18 left.

What does Travis say to these guys in late game timeouts?

"Okay guys....we're up 5...or 7........let's get real tight, nervous, afraid to shoot and let these guys get right back in it!"

I take back any negative things I said about Bannon shooting anything from beyond 10 or 12 feet since he hit a game winner from about 15

What is it going to take for these boys to put the hammer down? NCU is a good team but they aren't the best in the conference. Our boys seem to get so tight. I wonder how much difference a crowd would make in these last two games? Anyway, I'll take a win, and they definitely needed it. Hopefully this can shake them loose in the conference.

Mousegriz said:
What does Travis say to these guys in late game timeouts?

"Okay guys....we're up 5...or 7........let's get real tight, nervous, afraid to shoot and let these guys get right back in it!"

LMAO! I swear, that is what it looked like Travis is saying. They missed several shots in a row, due to working the clock and they lost their momentum. The odds of getting a good look with seven seconds left on the shot clock is real slim. I think they got one open look and missed the shot.

Better not hear any more Steadman slander. He is easily the most important player on the roster. Averages 6 in losses and 18 in wins. He plays well we win. Not many other places to go for scoring. If anything, I’d better hear some coaching slander. Time and time again I say our offense doesn’t work. Probably because it doesn’t.

UMFan12 said:
Better not hear any more Steadman slander. He is easily the most important player on the roster. Averages 6 in losses and 18 in wins. He plays well we win. Not many other places to go for scoring. If anything, I’d better hear some coaching slander. Time and time again I say our offense doesn’t work. Probably because it doesn’t.

Averages 6 in losses and 18 in wins.......Griz have more losses than wins.....slander will continue when he underperforms and the Griz lose! That said, I will certainly credit him on today's very good game.

Another defensive gem/offensive nightmare. Still, I’m not concerned. It’s a VERY young team trying to find its footing. They will learn and grow from these conference nail-biters. :thumb:

grizindabox said:
Hoops watcher said:
.448 from 3 is a struggle?

Pretty sure Josh Bannan is 2-19 from 3.

You are correct big sky conference stats have him at 2 for 19 (10.5%)

Statistically our best three point shooter is Parker who is 7 for 14 (50%)

Vazquez - 14 of 30 (47%)
Whitney - 6 of 15 (40%)
Beasley - 4 of 10 (40%)
Egun - 4 0f 10 (40%)
Owens - 3 of 8 (37.5%)

As a team 32.5% from 3

For whatever reason, they went away from the baseline flex cut for Parker/Whitney after going up seven. They had three straight possessions where either of the two got the ball wing extended off of the reversal and were able to get lanes to the hoop either for lay ups or easy drop off layups.

From 3 minutes in they went to the front side of the flex for post entry and it bogged everything down. I have a love/hate relationship with flex concepts because of this, because it is so easy to take the easy low post dive without moving the ball off the front side of the offense. They'd be so much better sometimes if they'd pass out of that low post and reverse and allow Whitney/Parker to move the defense and allow them to attack the back side of that defensive slide where there is typically more space.

What the offense lacks, right now at times, is the inability to allow the flow of the offense to work to their advantage. The post passes are a bit of a black hole and the choices to drive lead to a lot of dribble outs. Per my experience as a failed HS basketball coach, we'd emphasize quick post touches and dribble drives against the grain w/ the flex system. Just my opinion obviously.

Little help here please : Bannan scores with 4.6 left ...what happened so as NC couldn't run the baseline.. foul ?

fanofzoo said:
Little help here please : Bannan scores with 4.6 left ...what happened so as NC couldn't run the baseline.. foul ?

Was the play prior. Vasquez missed the layup, and the ball bounced around and Egun punched out of bounds. NC ball, but like all non-baskets he can't move as the inbounder. The Bannan shot came as a result of the turnover by Hume running the baseline.

Latest posts

Back