• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

NoCo Thread

Let’s hope this game showed Steadman the level he needs to bring every night (or morning in this case). He was a beast, especially in that last 10 minutes when we really needed him to be.

THAT is what I’d like to see every night from him. This team is a shitload better when he’s playing well.

AZGrizFan said:
Let’s hope this game showed Steadman the level he needs to bring every night (or morning in this case). He was a beast, especially in that last 10 minutes when we really needed him to be.

THAT is what I’d like to see every night from him. This team is a shitload better when he’s playing well.

Agree it’s almost like he shed whatever trepidations he had in the past and just went beast mode. It was really good to see

Hoops watcher said:
citay said:
Did that last-second shot by Bannan remind anybody else of the legendary last-second shot by Christian Laettner against Kentucky?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgtjNok5LZw

That crossed my mind to just after the fact. I think Laettner had a little more time if I remember right. Bannan got that off quickly, they only had a second.

No question that they were very similar plays. The Laettner play happened with 2.1 seconds left (I just looked it up). I believe The Griz only had 1.0 even, and I agree Bannon got rid of it as quickly as possible, BUT it was officially ruled to have taken place after the buzzer, so it would not have counted anyways. It was well executed though, so maybe it will work the next time they try it.

https://twitter.com/SkylineSportsMT/status/1346216840360468480

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehsj_LK7lko&feature=youtu.be

Grizfan-24 said:
fanofzoo said:
Little help here please : Bannan scores with 4.6 left ...what happened so as NC couldn't run the baseline.. foul ?

Was the play prior. Vasquez missed the layup, and the ball bounced around and Egun punched out of bounds. NC ball, but like all non-baskets he can't move as the inbounder. The Bannan shot came as a result of the turnover by Hume running the baseline.

And after a time-out. I guess the genius coaches wasted all their time designing schemes and such but forgot to remind Hume he can't run the baseline. I found it hilarious. Hume's suppose to be a wily veteran. You always ask the ref if you have any doubt.

Zirg said:
Grizfan-24 said:
Was the play prior. Vasquez missed the layup, and the ball bounced around and Egun punched out of bounds. NC ball, but like all non-baskets he can't move as the inbounder. The Bannan shot came as a result of the turnover by Hume running the baseline.

And after a time-out. I guess the genius coaches wasted all their time designing schemes and such but forgot to remind Hume he can't run the baseline. I found it hilarious. Hume's suppose to be a wily veteran. You always ask the ref if you have any doubt.

In my limited time as an official, we were told to remind or indicate to the inbounder whether he was stationary or free to move. Not sure in that situation whether the official did that, as I didn't observe it. Players have brain farts all the time, and to be honest I am surprised events like that don't happen more often.

Grizfan-24 said:
fanofzoo said:
Little help here please : Bannan scores with 4.6 left ...what happened so as NC couldn't run the baseline.. foul ?

Thank you crazy end to it.

HookedonGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

Agree it’s almost like he shed whatever trepidations he had in the past and just went beast mode. It was really good to see

He’s got the smoothest little jump hook I’ve seen from a Griz player in quite some time...

LivingstonNative said:
Mousegriz said:
What does Travis say to these guys in late game timeouts?

"Okay guys....we're up 5...or 7........let's get real tight, nervous, afraid to shoot and let these guys get right back in it!"

LMAO! I swear, that is what it looked like Travis is saying. They missed several shots in a row, due to working the clock and they lost their momentum. The odds of getting a good look with seven seconds left on the shot clock is real slim. I think they got one open look and missed the shot.

UM is 306 out of 357 D-1 teams in Tempo and their average possession time is 18.7 seconds which is 299th. Using an average of 19 seconds out of every 30 shot clock is pretty much working the clock every possession of the game.

GrizBall said:
LivingstonNative said:
LMAO! I swear, that is what it looked like Travis is saying. They missed several shots in a row, due to working the clock and they lost their momentum. The odds of getting a good look with seven seconds left on the shot clock is real slim. I think they got one open look and missed the shot.

UM is 306 out of 357 D-1 teams in Tempo and their average possession time is 18.7 seconds which is 299th. Using an average of 19 seconds out of every 30 shot clock is pretty much working the clock every possession of the game.

Wrong, weren't we promised a uptempo team ? :D

fanofzoo said:
GrizBall said:

YES! :roll:

Dillon said:
fanofzoo said:

I wish we were more up-tempo. It's fun to watch. It's quite a shock to watch as many Warrior games as I do, then switch over to watch how we play.

At the same time, when you're up against Power 5 teams, you generally don't want to get into a race-horse match with them because they have the quicker faster athletes. Better to use your time of possession, keep the ball out of their hands, just as teams try to do against Alabama in football.

The same will be true again if we get to the Big Dance. I don't wanna try to outrun and outgun a #1 seed.

AZGrizFan said:
HookedonGriz said:

He’s got the smoothest little jump hook I’ve seen from a Griz player in quite some time...

I just wish more of the "smooth jump hooks" went OVER the front of the rim, instead of bouncing off the front.

citay said:
Dillon said:

I wish we were more up-tempo. It's fun to watch. It's quite a shock to watch as many Warrior games as I do, then switch over to watch how we play.

At the same time, when you're up against Power 5 teams, you generally don't want to get into a race-horse match with them because they have the quicker faster athletes. Better to use your time of possession, keep the ball out of their hands, just as teams try to do against Alabama in football.

The same will be true again if we get to the Big Dance. I don't wanna try to outrun and outgun a #1 seed.

In the 4 conference games, the tempo is slightly slower than overall play (D-1 games only). In conference, UM has the 9th slowest tempo out of 10 teams that have actually played Conference games (MSU has not yet played). The possession time length was about the same between conference play and overall and was 8th out 10 conference teams.

I somewhat disagree with the premise around slowing down against better teams. I think it is actually much harder for the least athletic team to score against better athletes once the better athletes have their defense set.

maroonandsilver said:
AZGrizFan said:

I just wish more of the "smooth jump hooks" went OVER the front of the rim, instead of bouncing off the front.

Agreed, but perhaps the one we ought to be concerned with right now is Kyle Owens. He went 2-16 from the floor in the two NoCo games, saved only by the fact he was a perfect 12/12 from the FT line combined. He’s shooting just 44% from the floor, when about 90% of his shots are from inside 10 feet. Steadman is shooting 53% from the floor....

maroonandsilver said:
AZGrizFan said:

We have missed a LOT of close-range shots recently for sure. Those will start to fall. This is a very young team bursting with talent. I think by tourney time we will find our rhythm and be a team nobody in the league wants to play.

GrizBall said:
LivingstonNative said:

Huh? What the hell does that even mean? This is my nomination for worst Mis-use of statistics in Egriz history. A)We havent played that many games so all stats are skewed. b) We are still figuring out what is best for this young team. maybe Anti?-Tempo suits our team better. I haven't seen the Griz have to chuck a desperation shot at the end of the shot-clock all year, while we forced UNC into many late desperation shots both games. I like stats, but this one is meaningless.

Latest posts

Back