• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

QB Situation

Hurdlingriz said:
WaGriz4life said:
Nowhere near ready right now. Next year could be in the mix.

Just saw the praise this nau transfer is receiving on this thread and I kinda like the griz'd future at that spot
I don’t have the same optimism for what we have on roster currently. We will bring in a transfer every year, that’s just how it’s going to be regardless if he doesn’t end up starting

WaGriz4life said:
Hurdlingriz said:
Just saw the praise this nau transfer is receiving on this thread and I kinda like the griz'd future at that spot
I don’t have the same optimism for what we have on roster currently. We will bring in a transfer every year, that’s just how it’s going to be regardless if he doesn’t end up starting
No different at MSU. The winds of change.

CDAGRIZ said:
GrizProtocol said:
I got what I wanted, Thanks

Sincerely,
cat fan
Helena Handbasket
Risey
NDSU fan
Alpha
Etc
All wrong

Bud, it’s the same shit every season. Everybody knows. Try something new. Does the Del Webb have some pottery classes, or something?

Way to bury the lead. When did Del Webb get to Butte America?

Griz don't have a future QB. We get drop down retreads to fill the void Hauck lack or recruiting opens every year.

Montana used to be a QB destination now it's a used car lot with 76 Mazda all over the place

RoseyMustGo said:
Martinez is way better than Britt. He is a great passer who will only get better as he grows-up. I would take him in a New York Minute! But I think he will be playing FBS football next season

Just imagine if the kind of energy and effort that went into Martinez's development, was heaped on Britt. Or McCoy at Idaho, or the kid at UC Davis, or...

Bok_Choi said:
RoseyMustGo said:
Martinez is way better than Britt. He is a great passer who will only get better as he grows-up. I would take him in a New York Minute! But I think he will be playing FBS football next season

Just imagine if the kind of energy and effort that went into Martinez's development, was heaped on Britt. Or McCoy at Idaho, or the kid at UC Davis, or...

Which of those qb’s are in the playoffs now? I would take the second-half Johnson over them

WaGriz4life said:
Hurdlingriz said:

I doesn’t matter how much we all like the Griz “future” at that position. We may never get to see that future play out again in my lifetime. The love affair with transfers and the inability or refusal to develop players (or players willingness to be patient and accept the education/development) means we’re probably stuck with the system we have.

mthoopsfan said:
Bok_Choi said:

Which of those qb’s are in the playoffs now? I would take the second-half Johnson over them

Britt. He’s in the playoffs.

Of the 4 starters, johnson is 2d in td passes and 3d in passing efficiency.

Johnson averaged 4.8 running. 2 of them averaged 1.0 and 1.2. The other wasn’t on the top 50 runners list.

Bok_Choi said:
RoseyMustGo said:

Martinez's development produced a 3-8 record.

kemajic said:
Bok_Choi said:

Even you know there are 96 or more reasons for that wearing uniforms in the NAU colors, not to mention the ten or so in polo shirts with important-sounding titles outside the white lines. My point is, and will continue to be, that there's little to no development prowess related to QB's by coaches wearing polo shirts with important-sounding titles on the offensive side of the ball @ UM. And if I've missed on that, please feel free to point it out. Because even in Hauck's first go-round, it was only Cole Berquist and a servicable Andrew Selle that would keep the entire timeline for that from being anything but a total washout.

That's why it's so important, before each new season, to search for another one that another staff has taken time to find and develop, but for some reason, doesn't seem to think will be able to compete for the starters role in the upcoming season. So now they're now available via the transfer or drop-down. I'd also be curious to know how many seasons have transpired since a UM Quarterback has gone wire to wire in the season. Seems like it's almost never, which means a guy, or two, with a different number has to come in to play the position at various points throughout the season. Given Hauck's preferences, shouldn't all of them be transfers? It only seems right because Hauck was so enamored of his home-gorwn backup this year, that he brought in a third-string guy to replace him, who was mostly playing special teams coverages, to find a "spark" in the national quarter-final game the season before. But "there's a depth chart for a reason." Doesn't make sense to "experiment" during important games. Let's just put in on the backs of the defense and hope for the fucking best.

Martinez is likely "falling up", even at 3-8.

Other teams in the "modern era" of football seem to find and develop kids pretty quickly. Meaning they don't have to be third year sophs to see the field. Even in the BSC.

kemajic said:
Bok_Choi said:

Maybe the most ridiculous post you have ever made. We all know that a QB is 100% responsible for the W/L record of a team, huh Kem? Disregard the fact that multiple FBS teams want to sign this kid. Of course, those coaches probably will back-off on him because he only led NAU to a 3-8 record. Jeeesh!

kemajic said:
RoseyMustGo said:
If he's that good, you'd think he'd get some love with the all-BSC teams. He didn't even get honorable mention.

Interesting point. Glad we get a couple of non bs posts on here but they are becoming rare.

Bok_Choi said:
RoseyMustGo said:

The stark reality for FCS football is that any young QB who shows greatness like Martinez or McCoy will probably transfer to an FBS team. These FBS coaches are sitting like vultures over the FCS season, trying to identify a kid who was missed by the big guys during signing season. So, maybe relying on signing drop-down and portal QBs will be the new norm. Makes it more difficult to find a good back-up QB, who will tolerate sitting on the bench instead of starting at another school.

Bok_Choi said:
I'd also be curious to know how many seasons have transpired since a UM Quarterback has gone wire to wire in the season. Seems like it's almost never, which means a guy, or two, with a different number has to come in to play the position at various points throughout the season.
You seem to have never heard of a guy named Craig Ochs. Better than any of those you mentioned, a NC appearance in BH's second year. And provided a good lead in that game that the undermanned defense could not maintain. Yes, he was a two-year transfer.

More recently Dalton Sneed started every game and threw for at least 200 yards in all but one in 2018. Yes, he was a two-year transfer.

GrizProtocol said:
Griz don't have a future QB. We get drop down retreads to fill the void Hauck lack or recruiting opens every year.

Montana used to be a QB destination now it's a used car lot with 76 Mazda all over the place

Not to get too confusing, but transfers are part of the recruiting process.

kemajic said:
Bok_Choi said:
I'd also be curious to know how many seasons have transpired since a UM Quarterback has gone wire to wire in the season. Seems like it's almost never, which means a guy, or two, with a different number has to come in to play the position at various points throughout the season.
You seem to have never heard of a guy named Craig Ochs. Better than any of those you mentioned, a NC appearance in BH's second year. And provided a good lead in that game that the undermanned defense could not maintain. Yes, he was a two-year transfer.

More recently Dalton Sneed started every game and threw for at least 200 yards in all but one in 2018. Yes, he was a two-year transfer.

Ochs and Miller were two transfers and two of the best qbs to ever play for the Griz. Just a difference between a clear-cut D1 qb and what we normally get.

I like the young qbs on our roster and want to see them start. Bobby just doesn't trust young qbs, and never gives them a chance. Has he ever had a three year starter at QB?

Back