• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

QB Situation

indiancoyote said:
kemajic said:
You seem to have never heard of a guy named Craig Ochs. Better than any of those you mentioned, a NC appearance in BH's second year. And provided a good lead in that game that the undermanned defense could not maintain. Yes, he was a two-year transfer.

More recently Dalton Sneed started every game and threw for at least 200 yards in all but one in 2018. Yes, he was a two-year transfer.

Ochs and Miller were two transfers and two of the best qbs to ever play for the Griz. Just a difference between a clear-cut D1 qb and what we normally get.

I agree. Two great qb’s. Both FBS starters. Oches started as a frosh at Colo.

Who cares where QB’s came from, particularly in the age of the portal. The goal is to have very good qb’s and depth. I find much of this discussion to be silly.

mthoopsfan said:
indiancoyote said:
Ochs and Miller were two transfers and two of the best qbs to ever play for the Griz. Just a difference between a clear-cut D1 qb and what we normally get.

Who cares where QB’s came from, particularly in the age of the portal. The goal is to have very good qb’s and depth. I find much of this discussion to be silly.

Drew Miller was the first true freshman to start at BYU as well.

grizcountry420 said:
mthoopsfan said:

Drew Miller was the first true freshman to start at BYU as well.

Didn’t know that. He could throw the ball. Thx.

RoseyMustGo said:
Bok_Choi said:
Just imagine if the kind of energy and effort that went into Martinez's development, was heaped on Britt. Or McCoy at Idaho, or the kid at UC Davis, or...

The stark reality for FCS football is that any young QB who shows greatness like Martinez or McCoy will probably transfer to an FBS team. These FBS coaches are sitting like vultures over the FCS season, trying to identify a kid who was missed by the big guys during signing season. So, maybe relying on signing drop-down and portal QBs will be the new norm. Makes it more difficult to find a good back-up QB, who will tolerate sitting on the bench instead of starting at another school.

So what's the point you're making here?

That an FCS coach is a fool to waste time recruiting, developing and playing their guy because all that's going to happen is an FBS team is going to come along and scoop them up? Or that it's better to find a drop down from XYZ state, that couldn't make it or compete going forward, because another team actually invested time and energy in teaching the kid to play the position? I'm a cynic, but I'd be getting my ass out of coaching if I believed that any of this was the best I could hope for.

The portal is a new norm. Gonna have to learn how to navigate the problem it's created, kids who get bad advice or make bad choices. I will never believe it's better to look for someone else's malcontent, bench warmer or mishandled superstar, rather than actually take pains to find, coach, and develop guys who can do what you wan them to do to fit your system. Craig Ochs and Dalton Sneed are not the norms. They were a stroke of luck, and for everyone one of them, there are five guys who didn't make it through fall camp or the season.

kemajic said:
Bok_Choi said:
I'd also be curious to know how many seasons have transpired since a UM Quarterback has gone wire to wire in the season. Seems like it's almost never, which means a guy, or two, with a different number has to come in to play the position at various points throughout the season.
You seem to have never heard of a guy named Craig Ochs. Better than any of those you mentioned, a NC appearance in BH's second year. And provided a good lead in that game that the undermanned defense could not maintain. Yes, he was a two-year transfer.

More recently Dalton Sneed started every game and threw for at least 200 yards in all but one in 2018. Yes, he was a two-year transfer.

All I can say is thanks for not addressing the main point of the post. Says volumes.

Bok_Choi said:
RoseyMustGo said:
The stark reality for FCS football is that any young QB who shows greatness like Martinez or McCoy will probably transfer to an FBS team. These FBS coaches are sitting like vultures over the FCS season, trying to identify a kid who was missed by the big guys during signing season. So, maybe relying on signing drop-down and portal QBs will be the new norm. Makes it more difficult to find a good back-up QB, who will tolerate sitting on the bench instead of starting at another school.

So what's the point you're making here?

That an FCS coach is a fool to waste time recruiting, developing and playing their guy because all that's going to happen is an FBS team is going to come along and scoop them up? Or that it's better to find a drop down from XYZ state, that couldn't make it or compete going forward, because another team actually invested time and energy in teaching the kid to play the position? I'm a cynic, but I'd be getting my ass out of coaching if I believed that any of this was the best I could hope for.

The portal is a new norm. Gonna have to learn how to navigate the problem it's created, kids who get bad advice or make bad choices. I will never believe it's better to look for someone else's malcontent, bench warmer or mishandled superstar, rather than actually take pains to find, coach, and develop guys who can do what you wan them to do to fit your system. Craig Ochs and Dalton Sneed are not the norms. They were a stroke of luck, and for everyone one of them, there are five guys who didn't make it through fall camp or the season.

So what’s your point? I am losing track.

I've always thought the lack of ability to judge QB talent and a conservative pound and ground offense are bobbys two main shortcomings. I've said this before Dave Dickenson would have never saw the field if Bobby was the coach. Dropdowns are dropping down for a reason.

This is leading to boring football and if bobby dosent change he will get replaced.
If the griz beat bizon I retract this post.

BillingsMafia said:
I've always thought the lack of ability to judge QB talent and a conservative pound and ground offense are bobbys two main shortcomings. I've said this before Dave Dickenson would have never saw the field if Bobby was the coach. Dropdowns are dropping down for a reason.

This is leading to boring football and if bobby dosent change he will get replaced.

Great qb’s are moving teams to get playing time. Some of them are young. Some have started and gotten beaten out. Why wouldn’t UM look at an SEC or Pac-12 qb? Or a MW qb? Feel free to name all of Hauck’s bad starters at UM.

BillingsMafia said:

OK, you find a conservative offense to be a shortcoming and you find it boring. What does NDSU's offense look like to you? Is it a shortcoming? A quick look at BH's tenure here does not support that he has had ground and pound offenses. Maybe when compared to an Air Read offense, a balanced offense looks ground and pound. But you would make a long-term critical program decision based on winning one game against a 9-time NC and based on whether the offense is not boring to you. Got it.

kemajic said:
BillingsMafia said:

OK, you find a conservative offense to be a shortcoming and you find it boring. What does NDSU's offense look like to you? Is it a shortcoming? A quick look at BH's tenure here does not support that he has had ground and pound offenses. Maybe when compared to an Air Read offense, a balanced offense looks ground and pound. But you would make a long-term critical program decision based on winning one game against a 9-time NC and based on whether the offense is not boring to you. Got it.

It looks like winning to me...I could give 2 craps about boring personally. I'd be good if the Griz had the horses to run the ball 60 or 70 times a game. Seems to me that is a formula that works to get to the chipper.

mthoopsfan said:
Bok_Choi said:
Just imagine if the kind of energy and effort that went into Martinez's development, was heaped on Britt. Or McCoy at Idaho, or the kid at UC Davis, or...

Which of those qb’s are in the playoffs now? I would take the second-half Johnson over them

That's an awesome nickname! Good ol' Second Half Johnson! That's the best one I've seen over here since Overthroper.

And a stockyard smells like money. Who cares where UM gets a QB, as long as he can play? Lucas Johnson is a very good QB and I’m happy he plays for the Griz.

Chance Nolan of Oregon State has entered the portal.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/35159108/oregon-state-chance-nolan-enters-transfer-portal-injury-hit-season

kemajic said:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/35159108/oregon-state-chance-nolan-enters-transfer-portal-injury-hit-season

19-25 for 276 and 4 TD’s against Cats. No picks. 6.25 per carry. I wonder if UM knows any of his coaches. Ha. We wouldn’t want him. We only want high school seniors.

mthoopsfan said:
kemajic said:

19-25 for 276 and 4 TD’s against Cats. No picks. 6.25 per carry. I wonder if UM knows any of his coaches. Ha. We wouldn’t want him. We only want high school seniors.

No we only want G5 QB’s. HS are solely for the scout team.

kemajic said:
BillingsMafia said:

bobbys offense cannot beat a team it cant out physical. thats why he has never won nor never will win a national championship. Give our exact personal to a don read disciple and they could beat the bizon in the gravy bowl. They will not out physical ndst and thats why they have almost no chance of victory. This is not a one game obervation, we had to endure this offense thru phenicie and rosey for what seems like17 years now. Maybe ground and pound is an inaccurate term to use but his offense has no creativity it relies on being more physical than his opponent. This is simply the way it is and wont change until bobby moves on.

SoldierGriz said:
kemajic said:

It looks like winning to me...I could give 2 craps about boring personally. I'd be good if the Griz had the horses to run the ball 60 or 70 times a game. Seems to me that is a formula that works to get to the chipper.
for some reason the griz have never been able to put together the herd of horses needed to win like the bizon have. I have no explanation for this but I know with the correct coach this team could win it all.

BillingsMafia said:
kemajic said:
bobbys offense cannot beat a team it cant out physical. thats why he has never won nor never will win a national championship. Give our exact personal to a don read disciple and they could beat the bizon in the gravy bowl. They will not out physical ndst and thats why they have almost no chance of victory. This is not a one game obervation, we had to endure this offense thru phenicie and rosey for what seems like17 years now. Maybe ground and pound is an inaccurate term to use but his offense has no creativity it relies on being more physical than his opponent. This is simply the way it is and wont change until bobby moves on.

Our Co-OC and WR coach played for Don Reed. You are an idiot

BillingsMafia said:
kemajic said:

Are you saying an RPO offense has to out-physical?

Back