• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Scrap the 3-3-5 for Griz/Cat Game

I guess I'm not sure what the real difference is here between a 3-3-5 and a 3-4-4 except that you call the nickel a safety in the 3-3 and a LB in the 3-4. The cats don't run a lot of multiple wide receiver sets so I assume our coaches will have a run stopping nickel playing if the formation or down and distance calls for it. The personnel and formation of the defense will essentially be the same.

RayWill said:
Only problem with the 3-4-4 is that the Cats can actually pass this year. The QB is not that bad, recievers are a work in progress.
I realize the Bubs have the best passing running back (notice I did not say QB) that they’ve had in about a decade, but let’s pump the breaks a bit here. Sounds like the kid has gotten progressively worse each game this season and might not be able to function in inclement weather. From today’s paper:

MSU quarterback Matthew McKay was in jeopardy of finishing with less than 100 passing yards for the second straight week...

McKay completed 10 of 21 attempts but he lost a fumble on a run in the first quarter and missed some open wide receivers and looked indecisive on some dropbacks...

Vegan said: “There was just no rhythm, I felt like, today. Fortunately, we were able to make a couple big plays...

“But weird, ugly. I don’t know, you could throw about any adjective on that.”

Saturday’s performance paired with a 12-for-19, 76-yard showing at WSU caps a poor two-week stretch for McKay...

The North Carolina State transfer had mostly passed well in the previous six games, too. It will be tough for MSU to beat EWU or Montana if McKay doesn’t return to his early season form.

Boy doesn’t sound good when a new coach calls his QB’s performance “weird” and “ugly” with no rythym this late in the season. Or any other adjective. How about this adjective: the shits :lol:

reinell30 said:
The cats have three guys who can catch passes. They have a QB now who can throw the ball, not real accurate, but better then any past QB since McGee. McCutheon is the main receiver and InFanse out of the backfield. Cats primarily run the ball. McKay, their QB is mobile and can run. Elliot runs along with the main threat InFanse. He is a handful to tackle as most Griz LB's remember. Ford will have a field day in this game if we can stop the run? 3-3-5, 3-4-4 or 5-3-3 what ever works this time!

He’s completing 65% of his passes, just behind Barriere and is 2nd in efficiency just behind Barriere. All qb’s are gonna miss some here and there but I’ve been pretty happy with his accuracy to date.

Truthfully I don’t think Ford has anywhere near a great game. McKay has 1 INT and that was a miscommunication. The 3-3-5 has always been exposed against great running teams.

ilovethecats said:
reinell30 said:
The cats have three guys who can catch passes. They have a QB now who can throw the ball, not real accurate, but better then any past QB since McGee. McCutheon is the main receiver and InFanse out of the backfield. Cats primarily run the ball. McKay, their QB is mobile and can run. Elliot runs along with the main threat InFanse. He is a handful to tackle as most Griz LB's remember. Ford will have a field day in this game if we can stop the run? 3-3-5, 3-4-4 or 5-3-3 what ever works this time!

He’s completing 65% of his passes, just behind Barriere and is 2nd in efficiency just behind Barriere. All qb’s are gonna miss some here and there but I’ve been pretty happy with his accuracy to date.

Must be just when I get a chance to see him throw. I don't many Bobcat games. He doesn't pass much does he? If you compare to EB3, I bet he hasn't thrown 1/3 as many passes?

reinell30 said:
ilovethecats said:

Must be just when I get a chance to see him throw. I don't many Bobcat games. He doesn't pass much does he? If you compare to EB3, I bet he hasn't thrown 1/3 as many passes?

Lots more attempts. 319 to 177. 4th in the league in total passing yards. 15tds and best of all only 1 pick.

He’s far from perfect for sure. I just don’t see his accuracy being a big issue so far this year.

The 3-3-5 isn't going anywhere, Hauck isn't going anywhere, the BSC isn't going anywhere, and bad calls by refs aren't going anywhere either. (That should cover most of the threads on this board, lol)

That being said what might happen is seeing more of Gubner and Alford on the field together, at the expense of one of our smaller DEs. The scheme is predicated on the front three tying up the opposing OL so that that the backers can run free and make the plays. If the Cats OL can overpower our front 1v1 it allows them to get some big hogs to the second level.

There is a fitness factor with playing two heavier guys who are used to spelling each other, here's hoping Todd, Babros, and Belknap are all healthy for the Brawl.

ilovethecats said:
reinell30 said:

Lots more attempts. 319 to 177. 4th in the league in total passing yards. 15tds and best of all only 1 pick.

He’s far from perfect for sure. I just don’t see his accuracy being a big issue so far this year.

Better passer than the Cats have had in a long time...

reinell30 said:
ilovethecats said:

Yes since Prukop for sure. Though I’m one that thought Rovig played just fine last season. Took care of the ball and had some pretty nice games. I just think McKay is a bit better.

hunt-ducks said:
I realize that this game is far into the future, but I believe that the defensive coaches should be installing the following defense in preparation for this game. They can work-on this alignment some each practice until game-time.

The Griz need to utilize a 3-4-4 defense versus the Bobcats. Our linebackers are the strongest part of our defense, and putting 4 of them on the field in this game will give us the best chance to stop the solid Bobcat running game. I would bench Fouch, and insert Braxton Hill at LB. Hill is very strong against the run. Along with Robertson being very strong against the run, it would give us 7-8 defenders near the LOS to help stop their running attack.

I welcome any comments to this suggestion. I look forward to having a thread which avoids hi-jacking by the usual meat heads, but am skeptical that this will occur.

In summary, if Bobby chooses to keep the 3-3-5 in place for the Cat game, I believe we will see the following results:

Cats run for 300+ yards
Ifanse runs for 160+ yards
Robby Hauck has his usual 12 tackles from his free safety position

The scheme you are proposing was heavily used in last weeks Idaho game and seemed to be pretty successful, with the spuds using 2 QB's with different skill sets.
Our corners should be up to the task of covering the cats WR's with only man coverage, but let's not forget that the brawl is a game within a game and being able to adjust will be the biggest challenge.

ilovethecats said:
reinell30 said:

Yes since Prukop for sure. Though I’m one that thought Rovig played just fine last season. Took care of the ball and had some pretty nice games. I just think McKay is a bit better.

Don’t forget ‘Slinging’ Tony Merlot who was able to complete his first forward pass in the eighth game of the season.

Can we say dual-threat now?

P.S.-drastically changing your very good run stopping defense to face a running team in the 12th week of the season is a really stupid idea and will not happen.

The only response the coaching staff would have to this suggestion would be laughter.

SaskGriz said:
The 3-3-5 isn't going anywhere, Hauck isn't going anywhere, the BSC isn't going anywhere, and bad calls by refs aren't going anywhere either. (That should cover most of the threads on this board, lol)

That being said what might happen is seeing more of Gubner and Alford on the field together, at the expense of one of our smaller DEs. The scheme is predicated on the front three tying up the opposing OL so that that the backers can run free and make the plays. If the Cats OL can overpower our front 1v1 it allows them to get some big hogs to the second level.

There is a fitness factor with playing two heavier guys who are used to spelling each other, here's hoping Todd, Babros, and Belknap are all healthy for the Brawl.

I like your thinking here with Alford and Gubner playing side by side at times. I hope we are healthy enough to do it.
I noticed after the initial Idaho series, the Griz began bringing up a LB standing at the line of scrimmage ( typically Occonnel) with 3 down lineman. Forgive me for asking a novice question, but what is significantly different with that defensive formation than a 43 defense?
Go Griz!

You guys are correct, changing the 3-3-5 would be ridiculous this late in the season. Unfortunately with that comes a bad match up against the cats..if you disagree I have 4 years of stats to show, that’s something your fan base will have to compromise. It beats the Average Joe, but against a great running team or teams with good blocking schemes it doesn’t work. IMO Bobby should hit the defensive playbook hard this off-season.

You guys are correct, changing the 3-3-5 would be ridiculous this late in the season. Unfortunately with that comes a bad match up against the cats..if you disagree I have 4 years of stats to show, that’s something your fan base will have to compromise. It beats the Average Joe, but against a great running team or teams with good blocking schemes it doesn’t work. IMO Bobby should hit the defensive playbook hard this off-season.

CatsRback said:

Lots of vim in this response.

I feel like the better question we should be asking ourselves is what are we gonna do offensively against them? With the way both teams are playing right now, I wouldn't be surprised to see a final score in the 17-14 range. The cats have proven over the last 4 years that they are willing to pull out any and all stops to win this game, and they'll do it again this year as well with Mellott back there a ton. Hell I wouldn't be even remotely surprised to see Troy Andersen back there, and he hasn't played a snap on offense all year. I think the Griz need to do the same. If we need to line a guy up at QB like Robby or Ford or something like that, then lets do it. We can't lose this game for a 5th straight year, we gotta do whatever it takes this year.

Ursa Major said:
CatsRback said:

Haha, very fair. But I don’t feel I’m wrong for saying that. Averaging 325 YPG and 5.2 YPC, those are not numbers you wanna see against your defense

CatsRback said:
Ursa Major said:

Haha, very fair. But I don’t feel I’m wrong for saying that. Averaging 325 YPG and 5.2 YPC, those are not numbers you wanna see against your defense

I’m much more concerned with the cat defense vs. the Griz offense rather than the cat offense vs. the Griz defense. Our defense is solid and will do well.

Ursa Major said:
CatsRback said:

I’m much more concerned with the cat defense vs. the Griz offense rather than the cat offense vs. the Griz defense. Our defense is solid and will do well.

If the perspective is our defense is that much better than your offense (which I think is totally fair given common games etc). If you have to choose that as the tougher match up vs trusting your defense vs our offense then that’s fair to say. BUT, I don’t think much has changed since the last time we met. I just don’t think it’s a good match up for the Griz overall. Score predictions: toss Em out the window. But I just don’t think it’s a great match up for the Griz.

Back