• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Scrap the 3-3-5 for Griz/Cat Game

CatsRback said:
CDAGRIZ said:
If our defense is primarily built for pass defense, I sure wouldn't want to see us run a defense that isn't.

I mean yeah I hope to god you run the 3-3-5 against us. We’re averaging 219 a game on the ground. The teams you’ve played have combined for an average of 120 YPG so yes. I’m happy you’re defense is holding them to 79.

Time will tell, I can’t have a conversation with someone who believes 5 DB’s is the key to stopping the run.

Give it up. Look up the phrase "pedestrian football fan", and several of The Squad's pics will be found there................. :lol:

hunt-ducks said:
CDAGRIZ said:
79 ypg. Given up an average of 15 ppg through seven games. That sucks. Change it now.
Don't be a dunce.

Uh, Sparky, Dixie State and Ida-ho ain't exactly Montana State, perhaps the best running team in the FCS nation.

Idaho was averaging 190 rushing ypg going into the UM game, and had played two FBS teams. Not saying they're good, just saying they rely heavily on the run and we held them to their second lowest rushing output of the season behind only FBS Indiana.
But you know more than everyone, just ask you. :roll:

CDAGRIZ said:
hunt-ducks said:
Uh, Sparky, Dixie State and Ida-ho ain't exactly Montana State, perhaps the best running team in the FCS nation.

Idaho was averaging 190 rushing ypg going into the UM game, and had played two FBS teams. Not saying they're good, just saying they rely heavily on the run and we held them to their second lowest rushing output of the season behind only FBS Indiana.

Not everyone, but certainly you................. :thumb:

CatsRback said:
CDAGRIZ said:
If our defense is primarily built for pass defense, I sure wouldn't want to see us run a defense that isn't.

I mean yeah I hope to god you run the 3-3-5 against us. We’re averaging 219 a game on the ground. The teams you’ve played have combined for an average of 120 YPG so yes. I’m happy you’re defense is holding them to 79.

Time will tell, I can’t have a conversation with someone who believes 5 DB’s is the key to stopping the run.

But, I never said the 3-3-5 is the key to stopping the run, did I? Have you completely missed the point? Here it is again:
"If our defense is primarily built for pass defense, I sure wouldn't want to see us run a defense that isn't."

If you're going to put words in my mouth, at least make them something cool or smart.

CDAGRIZ said:
CatsRback said:

But, I never said the 3-3-5 is the key to stopping the run, did I? Have you completely missed the point? Here it is again:
"If our defense is primarily built for pass defense, I sure wouldn't want to see us run a defense that isn't."

If you're going to put words in my mouth, at least make them something cool or smart.
The 3-3-5 is so bad that we gave up 300+ yards rushing in two years where we didn't even run it.

Can you believe it? A defense that makes you amortize your rushing yards seasons in advance!

hunt-ducks said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Not everyone, but certainly you................. :thumb:

Boomed me.

CDAGRIZ said:
CatsRback said:

There is no word in the Webster Dictionary I can use to save your argument or make you sound smart. The fact you can honest type with a straight face after being ram into the ground 4 years in a row is incredible. That my friend earns you a gold star.

You gave up over 400 yards to EWU in a 3-3-5 that’s not what I’d call a great day.

I’m assuming you’d also argue you’re better than Weber right? Because you’re the one who snapped EWU’s home win streak right? We will do the same thing we have for the past 4 years.. run all over your smoke and mirror 3-3-5 defense and you’ll be calling for Bobby’s head and he’ll be in the post game talking about how he prepared for Troy. It’s a cycle these days. Just like the sac state game how he didn’t expect them to run certain plays.

Would you prefer I feed you warm milk and read you stat lines from 2001?

CatsRback said:
CDAGRIZ said:

There is no word in the Webster Dictionary I can use to save your argument or make you sound smart. The fact you can honest type with a straight face after being ram into the ground 4 years in a row is incredible. That my friend earns you a gold star.

You gave up over 400 yards to EWU in a 3-3-5 that’s not what I’d call a great day.

I’m assuming you’d also argue you’re better than Weber right? Because you’re the one who snapped EWU’s home win streak right? We will do the same thing we have for the past 4 years.. run all over your smoke and mirror 3-3-5 defense and you’ll be calling for Bobby’s head and he’ll be in the post game talking about how he prepared for Troy. It’s a cycle these days. Just like the sac state game how he didn’t expect them to run certain plays.

Through the air, right?
I think you've almost got it.
Keep pluggin' away.

CDAGRIZ said:
CatsRback said:

Through the air, right?
Keep pluggin' away.

I’m not sure what I said that was wrong, you’re defense is built to stop the pass and you gave up over 400 yards, where’s the lie?

uofmman1122 said:
CDAGRIZ said:

The 3-3-5 is so bad that we gave up 300+ yards rushing in two years where we didn't even run it.

Can you believe it? A defense that makes you amortize your rushing yards seasons in advance!

Unbelievable. :clap:

hunt-ducks said:
Some of you have a reading comprehension issue. Yes the 3-4 defense is MUCH DIFFERENT than the 3-3-5 defense. If you think that simply moving a 185 lb. defensive back into a 3-4 defense is the sames as having a stud 235 lb. linebacker, who has shown great run-stopping ability, then I've got some prime Afghan beachfront property you might be interested in.

If the 3-3-5 defense is just like the 3-4, why doesn't a single NFL team run it? Why doesn't NDSU, Sam Houston, James Madison, or SDSU run it? You can spin this sh*t all you like, but these two defenses have zero similarity. The 3-4 places 4 LBs into gaps on the line, and they run many different stunts and looks to confuse the opponents blocking schemes. Thus, the 3-4 is very effective in disrupting a running team. The 3-3-5 depends on the 3 D-linemen, and the 3 LBs to control the running game, with support from the 5 DBs if the running back gets into the secondary, which the Cats did with regularity the past three years.

I'll say it again....... if we stop the Cats running game, we beat them. There is no way they can beat us if we make them pass the ball twice as often as they want. Their running game is their strength. They know it, and we know it. Our 3-3-5 defense has been shredded by their running game three years in a row. You guys remind me of the frat house initiation scene from Animal House..... "Thank You Bobcats, May We Have Another"!!!!

NFL teams run the 3-3-5 on long passing downs. They call it their nickel package. They even run a dime package in a prevent defense mode. And last night, New Orleans ran a cover zero prevent defense against the Seahawks at the end of the game.

Finally, if you think that a good D-coordinator is not able to install a 3-4 defense as a unique package in a month to stop a great running team, you are one brick short of a load. I guess it was impossible when Bobby Hauck installed a 100% unique option offense in a single week, when we beat Idaho many years ago with Sampson at QB. Some of you need to read a football primer before posting, for God's sake!

What a low ID POST.

It’s simply not going to happen. In the final regular season game of the year you want your players reacting to what is happening on the field not thinking about their assignments in an unfamiliar scheme.

But you know this. These posts of yours are more about you presenting yourself as a very stable genius than they are about actual X’s and O’s.

There will be no radical scheme changes by the coaching staff despite the ravings of an ass-picking Arizona retiree on a football board.

Most of your ‘controversial prediction posts’ are made so you can come back here and say, I told you so. Look at me, I’m a rogue genius.

When these predictions don’t come true (e.g. Brown) you come back here to equivocate and rationalize.

Since before the season started you have repeatedly railed against the 3-3-5 and questioned the coaching staff’s decision making. We get it.

You believe the Griz staff should switch to a 3-4 defense for the cat game. We get it.

Is there anything new you want to add? This is a well worn path and we get it.

CatsRback said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Through the air, right?
Keep pluggin' away.

I’m not sure what I said that was wrong, you’re defense is built to stop the pass and you gave up over 400 yards, where’s the lie?

There is no lie.
Let's try again. Take 3: "If our defense is primarily built for pass defense, I sure wouldn't want to see us run a defense that isn't."

Ursa Major said:
CatsRback said:
Haha, very fair. But I don’t feel I’m wrong for saying that. Averaging 325 YPG and 5.2 YPC, those are not numbers you wanna see against your defense

I’m much more concerned with the cat defense vs. the Griz offense rather than the cat offense vs. the Griz defense. Our defense is solid and will do well.

groundhog-day-griz-defense.png

CDAGRIZ said:
CatsRback said:

There is no lie.
Let's try again. Take 3: "If our defense is primarily built for pass defense, I sure wouldn't want to see us run a defense that isn't."

Copy. I see what you’re saying so are you ready? If you’re defense is built to stop the pass and it’s not doing that well, and you play MSU. You’re walking into a gun fight with a knife. I’m so confused why you don’t understand the 3-3-5 is not the defense to run against a good rushing team.

uofmman1122 said:
CDAGRIZ said:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

CatsRback said:
CDAGRIZ said:
There is no lie.

Copy. I see what you’re saying so are you ready? If you’re defense is built to stop the pass and it’s not doing that well, and you play MSU. You’re walking into a gun fight with a knife. I’m so confused why you don’t understand the 3-3-5 is not the defense to run against a good rushing team.

I'm not confused, my friend. I believe we run it out of necessity. I believe we might have given up more yards through the air without it, and it may have led to different final scores. I believe I've heard repeatedly that the Bobcats can actually pass now. If you're saying they can't, and will only run the ball no matter what, then I propose an 8-2-1 defense. Problem is, any DI QB/WR combo can play pitch and catch when the WR is wide open. But, I'm just a "no"-nothing.

hunt-ducks said:
CatsRback said:

Give it up. Look up the phrase "pedestrian football fan", and several of The Squad's pics will be found there................. :lol:

Here's a serious question: Are you the real Dill, or are.............you...........someone............else.........?

CatsRback said:
CDAGRIZ said:

"We" being whom and "you" being whom. Find it interesting when fans get into this "we" and "you" BS. We fans don't do much on the field. Are "you" on the team?

CDAGRIZ said:
CatsRback said:

I'm not confused, my friend. I believe we run it out of necessity. I believe we might have given up more yards through the air without it, and it may have led to different final scores. I believe I've heard repeatedly that the Bobcats can actually pass now. If you're saying they can't, and will only run the ball no matter what, then I propose an 8-2-1 defense. Problem is, any DI QB/WR combo can play pitch and catch when the WR is wide open. But, I'm just a "no"-nothing.

If you had to choose between a 3-3-5 and a 4-3 against a run heavy team which are you picking? Maybe we’re coming to the conclusion there is no good answer against the Cats. In that case I’ll call checkmate and you can have the moral victory of running the 3-3-5 out of necessity which I think is weird since you tout Robby and Ford so much. But yes all hands on deck.

As for your 8-2-1 argument it’s a little dramatic but I appreciate the hubris you have behind your posts that really don’t contribute to the conversation at hand.

CDAGRIZ said:
CatsRback said:

I have always been a fan of the 11-0-0 defense. I ran it a lot when I played EA Sports NCAA 2012 (that's right, never say I didn't play the game)...

Back