• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Scrap the 3-3-5 for Griz/Cat Game

CatsRback said:
Ursa Major said:
I’m much more concerned with the cat defense vs. the Griz offense rather than the cat offense vs. the Griz defense. Our defense is solid and will do well.

If the perspective is our defense is that much better than your offense (which I think is totally fair given common games etc). If you have to choose that as the tougher match up vs trusting your defense vs our offense then that’s fair to say. BUT, I don’t think much has changed since the last time we met. I just don’t think it’s a good match up for the Griz overall. Score predictions: toss Em out the window. But I just don’t think it’s a great match up for the Griz.

My anxiety about the match-up is predicated solely on the Griz offensive. Which offense shows up and who is healthy enough to play that day. The cats are a good team but I haven’t seen any evidence that they’re a great team.

We will know more after the EW-U game.

Ursa Major said:
CatsRback said:
If the perspective is our defense is that much better than your offense (which I think is totally fair given common games etc). If you have to choose that as the tougher match up vs trusting your defense vs our offense then that’s fair to say. BUT, I don’t think much has changed since the last time we met. I just don’t think it’s a good match up for the Griz overall. Score predictions: toss Em out the window. But I just don’t think it’s a great match up for the Griz.

My anxiety about the match-up is predicated solely on the Griz offensive. Which offense shows up and who is healthy enough to play that day. The cats are a good team but I haven’t seen any evidence that they’re a great team.

I don’t necessarily agree: last week we were pretty banged up and still won pretty handily. We beat Weber on the road after their bye and a short week for us. They go on to beat EWU who was #2 at the time with their back up QB. Unfortunately we don’t get to consider that a great win yet because of how banged up Weber was to start the year but like I’ve said in other posts I think WSU is a top 15 team. This season is not a sprint, time will tell.

CatsRback said:
Ursa Major said:

I don’t necessarily agree: last week we were pretty banged up and still won pretty handily. We beat Weber on the road after their bye and a short week for us. They go on to beat EWU who was #2 at the time with their back up QB. Unfortunately we don’t get to consider that a great win yet because of how banged up Weber was to start the year but like I’ve said in other posts I think WSU is a top 15 team. This season is not a sprint, time will tell.

Weber, a good team, not a great team.

CatsRback said:
Ursa Major said:
Lots of vim in this response.

Haha, very fair. But I don’t feel I’m wrong for saying that. Averaging 325 YPG and 5.2 YPC, those are not numbers you wanna see against your defense

I'd much rather us face a team that relies heavily on the run than one that chucks it all over the yard.
UM is allowing 79 rushing ypg.
But, yeah, the 3-3-5 sucks against the run if you ask a certain poster.
As for any argument that we "haven't faced a great rushing team yet", why not? They all faced the 3-3-5. You'd think we'd be getting our doors blown off on the ground if it's so bad.

CDAGRIZ said:
CatsRback said:
Haha, very fair. But I don’t feel I’m wrong for saying that. Averaging 325 YPG and 5.2 YPC, those are not numbers you wanna see against your defense

I'd much rather us face a team that relies heavily on the run than one that chucks it all over the yard.
As for any argument that we "haven't faced a great rushing team yet", why not? They all faced the 3-3-5. You'd think we'd be getting our doors blown off on the ground if it's so bad.

Well you didn’t really answer your own argument.. you just said why not. BUT I will help you out:

1. That’s blasphemy we’ve averaged 325 and 5.2 YPC the last 4 years, I’m not sure how you can say that’s a good stat line

2. You haven’t faced a single good running team yet that’s just a fact

3. The 3-3-5 defense is like North Dakota’s offense: great against the average joe and will get you like 1-2 trick plays against the good ones. I just don’t see how you can justify your defense against our run game.

Ursa Major said:
CatsRback said:

Okay, that’s fair, Due to the start WAU had but What “good team” has UM beaten this year? The only good teams they’ve played, they’ve lost to.

CatsRback said:
Ursa Major said:

Okay, that’s fair, Due to the start WAU had but What “good team” has UM beaten this year? The only good teams they’ve played, they’ve lost to.

1. They beat UW. Yeah yeah, not the 20th best FBS team, but FBS nonetheless (and better than Wyoming).
2. They lost by 1 and 7, respectively, and had chances to win both at the end. Not trying to get into a moral victories thing, but it's not like they got blown out.

Some of you have a reading comprehension issue. Yes the 3-4 defense is MUCH DIFFERENT than the 3-3-5 defense. If you think that simply moving a 185 lb. defensive back into a 3-4 defense is the sames as having a stud 235 lb. linebacker, who has shown great run-stopping ability, then I've got some prime Afghan beachfront property you might be interested in.

If the 3-3-5 defense is just like the 3-4, why doesn't a single NFL team run it? Why doesn't NDSU, Sam Houston, James Madison, or SDSU run it? You can spin this sh*t all you like, but these two defenses have zero similarity. The 3-4 places 4 LBs into gaps on the line, and they run many different stunts and looks to confuse the opponents blocking schemes. Thus, the 3-4 is very effective in disrupting a running team. The 3-3-5 depends on the 3 D-linemen, and the 3 LBs to control the running game, with support from the 5 DBs if the running back gets into the secondary, which the Cats did with regularity the past three years.

I'll say it again....... if we stop the Cats running game, we beat them. There is no way they can beat us if we make them pass the ball twice as often as they want. Their running game is their strength. They know it, and we know it. Our 3-3-5 defense has been shredded by their running game three years in a row. You guys remind me of the frat house initiation scene from Animal House..... "Thank You Bobcats, May We Have Another"!!!!

NFL teams run the 3-3-5 on long passing downs. They call it their nickel package. They even run a dime package in a prevent defense mode. And last night, New Orleans ran a cover zero prevent defense against the Seahawks at the end of the game.

Finally, if you think that a good D-coordinator is not able to install a 3-4 defense as a unique package in a month to stop a great running team, you are one brick short of a load. I guess it was impossible when Bobby Hauck installed a 100% unique option offense in a single week, when we beat Idaho many years ago with Sampson at QB. Some of you need to read a football primer before posting, for God's sake!

CatsRback said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Well you didn’t really answer your own argument.. you just said why not. BUT I will help you out:

1. That’s blasphemy we’ve averaged 325 and 5.2 YPC the last 4 years, I’m not sure how you can say that’s a good stat line

3. The 3-3-5 defense is like North Dakota’s offense: great against the average joe and will get you like 1-2 trick plays against the good ones. I just don’t see how you can justify your defense against our run game.

1. I'm not talking about 2016, 2017, 2018, or 2019.

2. All of the teams we've faced have one thing in common. They've all faced our defense to a tune of 79 average rushing ypg. You know how everyone says the Bobcats haven't played anyone good yet (fact)? You probably think (could be true) that the Bobcats might have something to do with that, right?

3. How would I be able to justify our defensive scheme against a team we haven't played? I mean, would we only give up 30 rushing ypg with a different scheme? Who knows? What I do know is we play a 3-3-5 and give up 79 ypg.

CDAGRIZ said:
CatsRback said:

2. All of the teams we've faced have one thing in common. They've all faced our defense to a tune of 79 average rushing ypg. You know how everyone says the Bobcats haven't played anyone good yet (fact)? You probably think (could be true) that the Bobcats might have something to do with that, right?

3. How would I be able to justify our defensive scheme against a team we haven't played? I mean, would we only give up 30 rushing ypg with a different scheme? Who knows? What I do know is we play a 3-3-5 and give up 79 ypg.

Fact: this thread is based on the 3-3-5 against the cats. Give me one good reason it’ll work.. because I have 4 years of recent history that proves otherwise. But you’re right, it works against middle of the road squads who pass. You forget you gave up 422 yards against EWU and also over 100 yards rushing…

The point is we could go out and play all D2 teams and only ride up 79 YPG and claim it’ll work against a team like MSU or NDSU. You can manipulate stats to whatever your argument is. Find me one good rushing team you’ve played this year. Yes teams also play games outside of the Griz. Maybe part of the problem is you’re running a 3-3-5 and focusing on run stopping when the Defense is primarily built for pass defense 🥴

hunt-ducks said:
Some of you have a reading comprehension issue. Yes the 3-4 defense is MUCH DIFFERENT than the 3-3-5 defense. If you think that simply moving a 185 lb. defensive back into a 3-4 defense is the sames as having a stud 235 lb. linebacker, who has shown great run-stopping ability, then I've got some prime Afghan beachfront property you might be interested in.

If the 3-3-5 defense is just like the 3-4, why doesn't a single NFL team run it? Why doesn't NDSU, Sam Houston, James Madison, or SDSU run it? You can spin this sh*t all you like, but these two defenses have zero similarity. The 3-4 places 4 LBs into gaps on the line, and they run many different stunts and looks to confuse the opponents blocking schemes. Thus, the 3-4 is very effective in disrupting a running team. The 3-3-5 depends on the 3 D-linemen, and the 3 LBs to control the running game, with support from the 5 DBs if the running back gets into the secondary, which the Cats did with regularity the past three years.

I'll say it again....... if we stop the Cats running game, we beat them. There is no way they can beat us if we make them pass the ball twice as often as they want. Their running game is their strength. They know it, and we know it. Our 3-3-5 defense has been shredded by their running game three years in a row. You guys remind me of the frat house initiation scene from Animal House..... "Thank You Bobcats, May We Have Another"!!!!

NFL teams run the 3-3-5 on long passing downs. They call it their nickel package. They even run a dime package in a prevent defense mode. And last night, New Orleans ran a cover zero prevent defense against the Seahawks at the end of the game.

Finally, if you think that a good D-coordinator is not able to install a 3-4 defense as a unique package in a month to stop a great running team, you are one brick short of a load. I guess it was impossible when Bobby Hauck installed a 100% unique option offense in a single week, when we beat Idaho many years ago with Sampson at QB. Some of you need to read a football primer before posting, for God's sake!

79 ypg. Given up an average of 15 ppg through seven games. That sucks. Change it now.
Don't be a dunce.

CatsRback said:
CDAGRIZ said:

You are correct, of course. But then, you are dealing with a no-nothing Griz homer who couldn't predict a fart in a bean factory. As I said in an earlier post, if we run the 3-3-5 against the Cats, the result will look much like it has the past 3 years.

CDAGRIZ said:
hunt-ducks said:

79 ypg. Given up an average of 15 ppg through seven games. That sucks. Change it now.
Don't be a dunce.

Uh, Sparky, Dixie State and Ida-ho ain't exactly Montana State, perhaps the best running team in the FCS nation.

CatsRback said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Fact: this thread is based on the 3-3-5 against the cats. Give me one good reason it’ll work.. because I have 4 years of recent history that proves otherwise. But you’re right, it works against middle of the road squads who pass. You forget you gave up 422 yards against EWU and also over 100 yards rushing…

The point is we could go out and play all D2 teams and only ride up 79 YPG and claim it’ll work against a team like MSU or NDSU. You can manipulate stats to whatever your argument is. Find me one good rushing team you’ve played this year. Yes teams also play games outside of the Griz. Maybe part of the problem is you’re running a 3-3-5 and focusing on run stopping when the Defense is primarily built for pass defense 🥴

If our defense is primarily built for pass defense, I sure wouldn't want to see us run a defense that isn't.

Ursa Major said:
ilovethecats said:
Yes since Prukop for sure. Though I’m one that thought Rovig played just fine last season. Took care of the ball and had some pretty nice games. I just think McKay is a bit better.

Don’t forget ‘Slinging’ Tony Merlot who was able to complete his first forward pass in the eighth game of the season.

Can we say dual-threat now?

Yep that was cool to see. I absolutely love that kid. Can’t keep him off the field as a freshman so I’m excited about the future.

CDAGRIZ said:
CatsRback said:

If our defense is primarily built for pass defense, I sure wouldn't want to see us run a defense that isn't.

Game-Set-Match! ROFL!

CDAGRIZ said:
CatsRback said:

I mean yeah I hope to god you run the 3-3-5 against us. We’re averaging 219 a game on the ground. The teams you’ve played have combined for an average of 120 YPG so yes. I’m happy you’re defense is holding them to 79.

Time will tell, I can’t have a conversation with someone who believes 5 DB’s is the key to stopping the run.

ilovethecats said:
Ursa Major said:
Don’t forget ‘Slinging’ Tony Merlot who was able to complete his first forward pass in the eighth game of the season.

Can we say dual-threat now?

Yep that was cool to see. I absolutely love that kid. Can’t keep him off the field as a freshman so I’m excited about the future.

Have heard really good things about him. I'm quite sure we will see all we want from him in November.

Latest posts

Back