• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Scrap the 3-3-5 for Griz/Cat Game

Mousegriz said:
CatsRback said:
There is no word in the Webster Dictionary I can use to save your argument or make you sound smart. The fact you can honest type with a straight face after being ram into the ground 4 years in a row is incredible. That my friend earns you a gold star.

You gave up over 400 yards to EWU in a 3-3-5 that’s not what I’d call a great day.

I’m assuming you’d also argue you’re better than Weber right? Because you’re the one who snapped EWU’s home win streak right? We will do the same thing we have for the past 4 years.. run all over your smoke and mirror 3-3-5 defense and you’ll be calling for Bobby’s head and he’ll be in the post game talking about how he prepared for Troy. It’s a cycle these days. Just like the sac state game how he didn’t expect them to run certain plays.

Would you prefer I feed you warm milk and read you stat lines from 2001?

"We" being whom and "you" being whom. Find it interesting when fans get into this "we" and "you" BS. We fans don't do much on the field. Are "you" on the team?

What if I am on the team? 😧. I kid. Sure we can talk all day about the terms I use if you want to deflect from the fact you guys aren’t satisfied with your 3-3-5 going into Cat/ Griz. I didn’t start this forum, I’m just contributing.

SACCAT66 said:
CDAGRIZ said:
I'm not confused, my friend. I believe we run it out of necessity. I believe we might have given up more yards through the air without it, and it may have led to different final scores. I believe I've heard repeatedly that the Bobcats can actually pass now. If you're saying they can't, and will only run the ball no matter what, then I propose an 8-2-1 defense. Problem is, any DI QB/WR combo can play pitch and catch when the WR is wide open. But, I'm just a "no"-nothing.

I have always been a fan of the 11-0-0 defense. I ran it a lot when I played EA Sports NCAA 2012 (that's right, never say I didn't play the game)...

Look, they need to bring that game back, and don’t sleep on the engage 8, best play in the book! 😂

CatsRback said:
CDAGRIZ said:
I'm not confused, my friend. I believe we run it out of necessity. I believe we might have given up more yards through the air without it, and it may have led to different final scores. I believe I've heard repeatedly that the Bobcats can actually pass now. If you're saying they can't, and will only run the ball no matter what, then I propose an 8-2-1 defense. Problem is, any DI QB/WR combo can play pitch and catch when the WR is wide open. But, I'm just a "no"-nothing.

If you had to choose between a 3-3-5 and a 4-3 against a run heavy team which are you picking? Maybe we’re coming to the conclusion there is no good answer against the Cats. In that case I’ll call checkmate and you can have the moral victory of running the 3-3-5 out of necessity which I think is weird since you tout Robby and Ford so much. But yes all hands on deck.

As for your 8-2-1 argument it’s a little dramatic but I appreciate the hubris you have behind your posts that really don’t contribute to the conversation at hand.

You still aren’t getting it.

CatsRback said:
CDAGRIZ said:

If you had to choose between a 3-3-5 and a 4-3 against a run heavy team which are you picking? Maybe we’re coming to the conclusion there is no good answer against the Cats. In that case I’ll call checkmate and you can have the moral victory of running the 3-3-5 out of necessity which I think is weird since you tout Robby and Ford so much. But yes all hands on deck.

As for your 8-2-1 argument it’s a little dramatic but I appreciate the hubris you have behind your posts that really don’t contribute to the conversation at hand.

I don't know the answer with our personnel.
I'm not paid to figure it out.
I know we average 79ypg given up on the ground thus far, and Idaho was pretty run-heavy coming into the Griz game.
I do not believe I've touted Ford and Hauck at all.
8-2-1 was not an argument, it was a statement.
I think it's rather odd that you care so much about the Griz defensive scheme.

Ursa Major said:
CatsRback said:

You still aren’t getting it.

Enlighten me if you feel I am missing the mark. But I don’t believe I am. Run the 3-3-5, I will not complain, I will enjoy my view from the stands and I’ll bring my popcorn when this page blows up about how you want Hauck’s head for his scheme not working.

CDAGRIZ said:
CatsRback said:

I know we average 79ypg given up on the ground thus far, and Idaho was pretty run-heavy coming into the Griz game.

Agreed,

Here’s the topic at hand: someone on EGRIZ thinks the 3-3-5 defense (typically used against passing teams) should be scrapped. I agreed. Not sure why you cared to stop me every step of the way. But hey to each their own. See you in November.

CatsRback said:
Mousegriz said:
"We" being whom and "you" being whom. Find it interesting when fans get into this "we" and "you" BS. We fans don't do much on the field. Are "you" on the team?

What if I am on the team? 😧. I kid. Sure we can talk all day about the terms I use if you want to deflect from the fact you guys aren’t satisfied with your 3-3-5 going into Cat/ Griz. I didn’t start this forum, I’m just contributing.

Are you sure?

EverettGriz said:
CatsRback said:

Are you sure?

Yeah, a good banter every now and then never hurt anybody. Hopefully nobody walks away with broken hearts.

There are many defensive experts on this forum. Frankly, I think the team is well coached by Kent Baer who does have some experience coaching defense on a national basis with a few programs that might meet the level of UM football.

CatsRback said:
Mousegriz said:

If by, “you guys”, you mean one mentally ill poster on the board, you’re correct.

You won’t find many Griz fans that don’t have faith in the Griz defense.

Ursa Major said:
CatsRback said:

If by, “you guys”, you mean one mentally ill poster on the board, you’re correct.

You won’t find many Griz fans that don’t have faith in the Griz defense.

Totally agree but let’s leave the mentally ill outta it. The point of these forums is to bring up topics, discuss, and sometimes, have differing views. I’ve seen how you guys eat your own on here. Kind of sad. Just disagree and move on. No need to name call, we’re all adults here.

CatsRback said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Agreed,

Here’s the topic at hand: someone on EGRIZ thinks the 3-3-5 defense (typically used against passing teams) should be scrapped. I agreed. Not sure why you cared to stop me every step of the way. But hey to each their own. See you in November.

Because I disagreed. I hope I didn't hurt your feelings on your very first day on eGriz.com.
I'm completely sure that you don't also post as hunt-ducks, and definitely didn't create an account today to agree with him.

I find these discussions entertaining at best. I never have believed that past performance will predict the future. Hence just because msu was able to run on UM in the past doesn’t have anything to do with what happens on November 20th. Not to mention I’m pretty sure the coaching staff has a good handle on the situation and things depend on players health and whether or not they are available. It depends on execution of the scheme. So far UM leads the league in rush defense. Will they stop msu? Nope! Will they do enough to win the game? Time will tell but if this team is healthy they have a good chance.

CDAGRIZ said:
CatsRback said:
Agreed,

Because I disagreed. I hope I didn't hurt your feelings on your very first day on eGriz.com.
I'm completely sure that you don't also post as hunt-ducks, and definitely didn't create an account today to agree with him.

That’s fair. I am new to this. I do appreciate your opinion. We will have to see come Nov right?

However, I unfortunately am not Hunting Ducks. Yes I’m sure it would be a classic scooby-do case as you rip my mask off but I can’t provide that for ya. I first believed him to be a cats fan but now I’m seeing he’s the estranged fan in the bunch according to many of y’all.

CDAGRIZ said:
CatsRback said:
Agreed,

:lol: :clap: :clap:

GottaluvGriz said:
SaskGriz said:
The 3-3-5 isn't going anywhere, Hauck isn't going anywhere, the BSC isn't going anywhere, and bad calls by refs aren't going anywhere either. (That should cover most of the threads on this board, lol)

That being said what might happen is seeing more of Gubner and Alford on the field together, at the expense of one of our smaller DEs. The scheme is predicated on the front three tying up the opposing OL so that that the backers can run free and make the plays. If the Cats OL can overpower our front 1v1 it allows them to get some big hogs to the second level.

There is a fitness factor with playing two heavier guys who are used to spelling each other, here's hoping Todd, Babros, and Belknap are all healthy for the Brawl.

I like your thinking here with Alford and Gubner playing side by side at times. I hope we are healthy enough to do it.
I noticed after the initial Idaho series, the Griz began bringing up a LB standing at the line of scrimmage ( typically Occonnel) with 3 down lineman. Forgive me for asking a novice question, but what is significantly different with that defensive formation than a 43 defense?
Go Griz!
It often looks the same but it acts differently. With a true 4-3 you would have two traditional DE who are going to be significantly bigger than a LB who is just up on the line pre-snap. What this means is that you can run different "games" with your 4 down linemen, they can stunt or twist, etc. and the DE will be big enough to end up in the interior of the line and still hold their own. The other main point is that you can give a full sized DE B-Gap responsibilities (between the guard/tackle) and they will be big enough to hold the point of attack, where a LB on the line would have a tough go of that.

SaskGriz said:
GottaluvGriz said:
I like your thinking here with Alford and Gubner playing side by side at times. I hope we are healthy enough to do it.
I noticed after the initial Idaho series, the Griz began bringing up a LB standing at the line of scrimmage ( typically Occonnel) with 3 down lineman. Forgive me for asking a novice question, but what is significantly different with that defensive formation than a 43 defense?
Go Griz!
It often looks the same but it acts differently. With a true 4-3 you would have two traditional DE who are going to be significantly bigger than a LB who is just up on the line pre-snap. What this means is that you can run different "games" with your 4 down linemen, they can stunt or twist, etc. and the DE will be big enough to end up in the interior of the line and still hold their own. The other main point is that you can give a full sized DE B-Gap responsibilities (between the guard/tackle) and they will be big enough to hold the point of attack, where a LB on the line would have a tough go of that.
Ahhh, makes great sense.
As thin as we have been with injuries, especially at D-end, not real confident we could run a traditional 4 man front often even if we wanted to.
Thanks for the education!
Go Griz!

Back