• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Spring Football

SloStang said:
kemajic said:
Starting today, we have more important things to be concerned about.

Hey kemajic you and I are often on the opposite side of a lot of the discussions here but I am in 100% agreement on this.
You must not have read my posts arguing Baldwin as the best HC in the BSC with a MSU troll who was touting Choate.

tourist said:
PR, you are well off, diversified I assume. It's the average 'Joe' who is about to experience a real depression and loss of freedom.

It's more that I learned many decades ago not to worry or fret about things that I couldn't control. I learned to live with what I have, and, to some extent, to live in the moment as much as I could. Whether the moment was tough, full of work, or fun. I was always a bit of a "Don't worry, be happy" guy. Couldn't really do that much, as work was often demanding and time-consuming. Now, as I get older, I have become more of a don't worry-be happy guy. Never been to Jamaica. Worry right before my annual physical. Would be worrying if the stock market was going south. Our 5 kids are all doing reasonable well, and are pointed in the right direction. Hoping they can pay the bills when we run out of money. I can't control or influence anything in politics, so I'm not going to worry about it. Am currently in Mesa AZ in a nice, but pretty Average Joe, rv "resort". No fancy people here at all, as far as I can tell, but multiple pools and tennis courts (for my wife). 20 shuffle ball courts. There must be 10 or so Montanans here. I must be the only lawyer in the "resort". As word got out, and there has been a fairly steady stream of people knocking on my open door. Not enough exercise and too much beer, but no complaints. Everything's not perfect, but I am not worrying about those imperfections or things. I liked Biden's messages today (not all of his orders, tho).

kemajic said:
SloStang said:
Hey kemajic you and I are often on the opposite side of a lot of the discussions here but I am in 100% agreement on this.
You must not have read my posts arguing Baldwin as the best HC in the BSC with a MSU troll who was touting Choate.

Cat troll :roll:

tourist said:
PR, you are well off, diversified I assume. It's the average 'Joe' who is about to experience a real depression and loss of freedom.

I’m a regular joe and not too worried about losing my freedom. Do people really let politics dictate their lives like that?!

I was told 12 years ago life was about to be awful. Their taking our guns. Our president isn’t a citizen. Yada yada.

I was told 4 years ago from the “other half” that life was about to be awful. Trump would ruin the country. We would have nuclear war with North Korea. Yada yada.

Today I’m reading comments from the “first half” of people from 12 years ago saying all the same things they did before Obama was president.

I gotta be honest. Politics haven’t changed my life in anyway, good or bad to my recollection. Obviously personally I’ve had ups and downs. But I just can’t wrap my mind around how SOME people let politics and politicians consume them. Get out and enjoy life. Worry about things you can control. I have yet to see things become as bad as the “other” side said they’d be as long as I can remember?

At 76, I'm still wondering why so many people in this country fear a loss of their freedom. I see more and more Americans achieving the dream , many first generation or recent immigrants. Nobody is taking anyone's freedoms away. Relax folks..

GrizLA said:
At 76, I'm still wondering why so many people in this country fear a loss of their freedom. I see more and more Americans achieving the dream , many first generation or recent immigrants. Nobody is taking anyone's freedoms away. Relax folks..

Other than continuing talk of 2d amendment restrictions, the federal government doesn't seem to be the biggest "threat" to freedoms. I suppose there's the new federal property mask mandate. But that can be debated both ways, and won't be a permanent limit to any "freedom". The bigger threats to freedom are from technology and tech companies. Threats to privacy. Threats to freedom of expression from big companies (Twitter et al) not allowing access to their products/platforms. This one is a big one for me, but I don't know the answer. (I know that the First Amendment probably doesn't apply to Twitter, and I'm not excited about more government regulation: but I don't think the Twitters of the world should be making these decisions and have this much power. Also, Twitter banned the NY Post/Hunter Biden story/stuff, and it turns out that the NY Post was right.) Threats from all of the cameras all over the place, from security cameras (inside and outside) to doorbell/ring cameras. Too much "big brother is watching" stuff. The government tries to enact some privacy protections, with mixed results and lots of wasted red tape. The federal government has the FISA and other laws, and mass data search technology (think Edward Snowden), but both Dems and Repubs push back on those things from time to time.

I currently view some types of evolving technology, as well as big tech companies who control some platforms, as being the biggest potential problems. Bigger than the government.

Interesting and important subjects. I'm generally with you on what you said, LA.

The new Biden federal property mask mandate.

I wonder if it potentially impacts hunting, fishing, hiking, snowmobiling, recreating, etc. on federal lands, like forest service, BLM, National Parks, leased lands for ski areas, leased land for grazing/mining, etc.? Note that it doesn't just apply to buildings; it applies to federal "lands".

From the order:

"and other individuals in Federal buildings and on Federal lands should all wear masks, maintain physical distance, and adhere to other public health measures, as provided in CDC guidelines." [Note that it applies to physical distancing, not just mask-wearing. I didn't look at the CDC guidelines to see if the answer is there.]

"Sec. 2. Immediate Action Regarding Federal Employees, Contractors, Buildings, and Lands. (a) The heads of executive departments and agencies (agencies) shall immediately take action, as appropriate and consistent with applicable law, to require compliance with CDC guidelines with respect to wearing masks, maintaining physical distance, and other public health measures by: on-duty or on-site Federal employees; on-site Federal contractors; and all persons in Federal buildings or on Federal lands."

"(d) Heads of agencies may make categorical or case-by-case exceptions in implementing subsection (a) of this section to the extent that doing so is necessary or required by law, and consistent with applicable law."

"(iii) “Federal lands” means lands under executive branch control."

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/2021/01/20/executive-order-protecting-the-federal-workforce-and-requiring-mask-wearing/

PlayerRep said:

I wonder if it potentially impacts hunting, fishing, hiking, snowmobiling, recreating, etc. on federal lands, like forest service, BLM, National Parks, leased lands for ski areas, leased land for grazing/mining, etc.? Note that it doesn't just apply to buildings; it applies to federal "lands".

From the order:

"and other individuals in Federal buildings and on Federal lands should all wear masks, maintain physical distance, and adhere to other public health measures, as provided in CDC guidelines." [Note that it applies to physical distancing, not just mask-wearing. I didn't look at the CDC guidelines to see if the answer is there.]

"Sec. 2. Immediate Action Regarding Federal Employees, Contractors, Buildings, and Lands. (a) The heads of executive departments and agencies (agencies) shall immediately take action, as appropriate and consistent with applicable law, to require compliance with CDC guidelines with respect to wearing masks, maintaining physical distance, and other public health measures by: on-duty or on-site Federal employees; on-site Federal contractors; and all persons in Federal buildings or on Federal lands."

"(d) Heads of agencies may make categorical or case-by-case exceptions in implementing subsection (a) of this section to the extent that doing so is necessary or required by law, and consistent with applicable law."

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/2021/01/20/executive-order-protecting-the-federal-workforce-and-requiring-mask-wearing/

Aren't all federal highways on federal lands?

PlayerRep said:

From the order:

i would think enforcement would allow for common sense. doubt they are going to go look for mask-less people in the bob marshall wilderness and fine them or whatever.

"Federal lands are lands in the United States owned by the federal government. Pursuant to the Property Clause of the United States Constitution (Article 4, section 3, clause 2), the Congress has the power to retain, buy, sell, and regulate federal lands, such as by limiting cattle grazing on them. These powers have been recognized in a long line of U.S. Supreme Court decisions.[1][2]

The federal government owns about 640 million acres of land in the United States, about 28% of the total land area of 2.27 billion acres.[3][4] The majority of federal lands (610.1 million acres in 2015) are administered by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM), U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS), National Park Service (NPS), or U.S. Forest Service (FS). BLM, FWS, and NPS are part of the U.S. Department of the Interior, while the Forest Service is part of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. An additional 11.4 million acres of land (about 2% of all federal land) is owned by the U.S. Department of Defense (DOD).[4] The majority of federal lands are located in Alaska and the Western states.[4]"

Wiki.

"Though much of their construction was funded by the federal government, Interstate Highways are owned by the state in which they were built. All Interstates must meet specific standards such as having controlled access, avoiding at-grade intersections, and complying with federal traffic sign specifications. Interstate Highways use a numbering scheme in which primary Interstates are assigned one- or two-digit numbers, and shorter routes are assigned three-digit numbers where the last two digits match the parent route. The Interstate Highway System is partially financed through the Highway Trust Fund, which itself is funded by a federal fuel tax. Though federal legislation initially banned the collection of tolls, some Interstate routes are toll roads."

Wiki.

"President Biden will sign an order Thursday mandating mask usage in airports and on many planes, trains, ships and intercity buses, the White House said."

"Biden had said before his inauguration that he would require masks for “interstate travel on planes, trains and buses,” and CDC officials previously indicated that interstate travel is where their existing authority lies. The precise role of the Transportation Department remains unclear."

"The White House said Thursday that the pending order “directs applicable agencies to take immediate action to require mask-wearing on many airplanes, trains,” maritime vessels and intercity buses."

WaPost.

PlayerRep said:
"President Biden will sign an order Thursday mandating mask usage in airports and on many planes, trains, ships and intercity buses, the White House said."

"Biden had said before his inauguration that he would require masks for “interstate travel on planes, trains and buses,” and CDC officials previously indicated that interstate travel is where their existing authority lies. The precise role of the Transportation Department remains unclear."

"The White House said Thursday that the pending order “directs applicable agencies to take immediate action to require mask-wearing on many airplanes, trains,” maritime vessels and intercity buses."

WaPost.

dbackjon said:
grizindabox said:
Just saw that Northern Colorado has opted out of Spring.

Down to 8 Big Sky teams still playing.

It is actually better for the remaining 8 teams. Now with an even number of teams they can now keep with a 6 game schedule with each team having byes after weeks 3 and 6. With 9 teams that would not have been possible.

GrizLA said:
Surprising, it's understandable even for a 75 year old. You must not be listening to the new Administration and must be OK with the control of communication by Big Tech, the media and the Universities. The 1st amendment is in shambles.

ilovethecats said:
tourist said:

I’m a regular joe and not too worried about losing my freedom. Do people really let politics dictate their lives like that?!

I was told 12 years ago life was about to be awful. Their taking our guns. Our president isn’t a citizen. Yada yada.

I was told 4 years ago from the “other half” that life was about to be awful. Trump would ruin the country. We would have nuclear war with North Korea. Yada yada.

Today I’m reading comments from the “first half” of people from 12 years ago saying all the same things they did before Obama was president.

I gotta be honest. Politics haven’t changed my life in anyway, good or bad to my recollection. Obviously personally I’ve had ups and downs. But I just can’t wrap my mind around how SOME people let politics and politicians consume them. Get out and enjoy life. Worry about things you can control. I have yet to see things become as bad as the “other” side said they’d be as long as I can remember?

I agree with your sentiment. Politics is about our lives, but our lives are not about politics. At least they shouldn't be (unless you are a devoted politician, but realistically that is a small minority of the population). Be kind to others and yourself, do your best to reach your goals; take time to enjoy where you came from, where you are, and where you want to be without forgetting It's about the journey, not the destination.

ilovethecats said:
tourist said:

Having your head in the sand doesn't mean your life hasn't been affected by politics. Your government just gave away over $6 trillion of our taxes to the wealthiest multinational companies and bankers in this country. Our country is being fleeced by our companies and politicians. If you don't think that is impacting your life you are just ignorant.

kemajic said:
GrizLA said:
Surprising, it's understandable even for a 75 year old. You must not be listening to the new Administration and must be OK with the control of communication by Big Tech, the media and the Universities. The 1st amendment is in shambles.

For the most part, the First Amendment doesn't apply to Big Tech, the media, and Universities (not private ones, but sort of with public ones). It applies to the government. In fact, what it says is that "Congress" shall not make a law abridging freedom of speech. Cases over the years have expanded from just Congress and filled in some gaps.

"Although the First Amendment says “Congress,” the Supreme Court has held that speakers are protected against all government agencies and officials: federal, state, and local, and legislative, executive, or judicial. The First Amendment does not protect speakers, however, against private individuals or organizations, such as private employers, private colleges, or private landowners. The First Amendment restrains only the government."

First Amendment:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

I completely agree that your first sentence is a huge problem, but just not technically a First Amendment problem.

Latest posts

Back