• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Staff Shortages at stadium

TrueGriz said:
The best thing to do is have rich grand parents who will pay for all your education at the best private schools, and then buy you a $2 to $3 million house at the base of a ski area. That would be the best choice that everyone should make.

i thought about that, but went with the get-hit-by-a-car route instead. choices.

Ursa Major said:
SoldierGriz said:
Choices. Many are making very, very poor choices. Not one person was ever forced to take on debt. Not one.

Says the guy who has had subsidized food, subsidized housing and subsidized medical care his entire adult life.

Based on the CHOICE I made. BTW - my medical care is free, and my kid is going to college for free using my post 9/11 GI Bill. No one forced me to serve...I chose it.

Good choices pay off. Bad choices do not. Simple.

HelenaHandBasket said:
Amazing how many privileged white men are trying to say that all people that are struggling to survive is based on personal choice.

Uh huh.

Pretty damn big difference between struggling to survive and making good choices.

Good choices: graduate from high school, don't spend more than you earn, don't have kids out of wedlock, if you take out student loans - get a degree in something that will enable you to pay it back.

Do you not know anyone who had significant challenges in their lives that rose to the middle class or beyond?

argh! said:
SoldierGriz said:
Won't speak for AZ, but that is EXACTLY my premise.

yeah, i could really control that guy who fell asleep at the wheel, jumped the curb, and sent me flying into a tree at high speed, breaking more bones than i can even remember, making it so i couldn't work, etc etc. your endless pseudo bravado is always impressive.

to steal from mike tyson, i'd say people can control everything that happens to them in life, until they get hit in the face with reality.

Sorry for your accident. Of course you cannot control others...

CDAGRIZ said:
SoldierGriz said:
Choices. Many are making very, very poor choices. Not one person was ever forced to take on debt. Not one.

Totally. Why don’t they just not go to college and get a high paying job without a degree so they can buy their $900k starter home? They need to make the sacrifice and teach themselves to be doctors/lawyers/engineers. Maybe delay some gratification and start a tech company. Look at Zuckerberg; he doesn’t have a degree. Just make the choice to be like that.

Why not? My plumber is a great dude with a nice house and kids in a good school district. Seems happy.

AZGrizFan said:
sdk.catfish said:
I know we see things differently, but for me this is one of the few positives coming out of Covid. It's like "I aint going to work on Maggie's farm no more". It is unionization without the union dues. Younger people see their generation in terms of Mark Zuckerberg who has billions but has simply enabled society to be missinformed and lied to, withoug contributing one iota to societies betterment. They see Jeff Bezos making billions off the pandemic. They see home prices that they will never be able to afford flipping burgers. So they say f........ it. It is too bad because they don't need to go to college - going into the trades, plumbing, electrical and carpentry will pay better. Yes they will be middle class and partially because of the downfall of unionization they will not be able to live their parents life. They have little barganining power other than to not show up at work. Personally I wish they would take a chance because we need skilled workers but I also understand why they may feel that is futile. But many of us, who grew up when there were better opportunities, should not complain when we have to wait for service at a resturant or go elsewhere because they aren't open. This is the legacy we, along with corrupt do-nothing politicians on both sides, have left them. I have a lot of compassion for the situation that they are facing.

Nobody ever bought a house flipping burgers. That’s a job for teenagers. If you’re a grown-ass adult and you’re flipping burgers, it miiiiiight be because of some piss-poor decisions you made earlier in your life.

That and the lack of manufacturing jobs in the USA , mmmmm wonder where they went ????

SoldierGriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Totally. Why don’t they just not go to college and get a high paying job without a degree so they can buy their $900k starter home? They need to make the sacrifice and teach themselves to be doctors/lawyers/engineers. Maybe delay some gratification and start a tech company. Look at Zuckerberg; he doesn’t have a degree. Just make the choice to be like that.

Why not? My plumber is a great dude with a nice house and kids in a good school district. Seems happy.

Yep. My dad was in the trades for 40 years, my mom was a stay at home, and we always had a roof over our heads. When I was in second grade, my parents had a new house built. Years later, they told me the lot cost $4k, and the construction was around $70k. 3300 square feet on half an acre. It had everything to do with the choices he made and nothing to do with COL. I choose a brand new single family home for $74k.

Look, Soldier, nobody is saying it makes someone a bad person if he or she benefitted from certain circumstances. I also don't think it diminishes their accomplishments. What I do think is that it's a bit naïve to think it's just as easy today if you just "make good choices". Example: A good friend just bought a house in Newport (Port Streets if you're familiar) for $2.2 million. It's about 2,500 sq. ft. and needs wall to wall renovation. Now, I personally don't think that was a good choice, but that's a different discussion. The thing that struck me is his next door neighbors who have lived there for 25+ years are a retired public school teacher on one side, and a retired cop on the other. Cool guys and noble professions for sure, but the days of teachers and cops buying in that neighborhood are sadly over. It's a shame because it was probably a great middle class, family-type neighborhood back in the day.

SoldierGriz said:
Ursa Major said:
Says the guy who has had subsidized food, subsidized housing and subsidized medical care his entire adult life.

Based on the CHOICE I made. BTW - my medical care is free, and my kid is going to college for free using my post 9/11 GI Bill. No one forced me to serve...I chose it.

You're suggesting a college education is a poor choice?

SoldierGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Amazing how many privileged white men are trying to say that all people that are struggling to survive is based on personal choice.

Uh huh.

Pretty damn big difference between struggling to survive and making good choices.

Good choices: graduate from high school, don't spend more than you earn, don't have kids out of wedlock, if you take out student loans - get a degree in something that will enable you to pay it back.

Do you not know anyone who had significant challenges in their lives that rose to the middle class or beyond?

Do you not know anyone who had significant challenges in their lives that have struggled to rise to middle class or beyond?

I don't disagree that people make poor choices that lead to their struggles, but that just isn't the case for everyone. Is choosing your child born with an illness a poor choice? Is helping your ill parent a poor choice? Like I said, most people bitching had it easy, a mostly privileged life.

SoldierGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Uh huh.

For sure. I think the point is more that tons of people do all of those things and more, but still can't afford the lives their parents (who may or may not have made all of those good choices) live(d). I know they aren't entitled to it, etc., it's just a recognition that things aren't as easy these days. To be clear, I'm not talking about the guy who majors in interpretive dance at Reed College for five years, I'm talking about the guy who works throughout college, gets a degree in IT or something, is smart with his money, and still will never be able to buy a house unless it's in Bumsville, Arkansas (where they don't have jobs for him). You know me well enough to know I'm not trying to be a dick about this, so I hope this makes sense.

EverettGriz said:
SoldierGriz said:

Can be. If you take on a crap ton of student debt that propels you into a field that makes little money - that is a poor choice. Why would someone go to TCU to become a teacher, when they can go to Texas State for much cheaper? That is just flat-out a bad choice. Want to be a social worker? Go to community college for 2 years, then find the cheapest possible way to finish that degree.

CDAGRIZ said:
SoldierGriz said:
Uh huh.

For sure. I think the point is more that tons of people do all of those things and more, but still can't afford the lives their parents (who may or may not have made all of those good choices) live(d). I know they aren't entitled to it, etc., it's just a recognition that things aren't as easy these days. To be clear, I'm not talking about the guy who majors in interpretive dance at Reed College for five years, I'm talking about the guy who works throughout college, gets a degree in IT or something, is smart with his money, and still will never be able to buy a house unless it's in Bumsville, Arkansas (where they don't have jobs for him). You know me well enough to know I'm not trying to be a dick about this, so I hope this makes sense.

I understand. Still choices involved in where to live. The real estate market makes it hard to live where you want to live. I want to live on a mountainside near Vail. It's just not going to happen absent the lottery.

I'm also not trying to be a dick about this. But, we have got to return some sense of personal responsibility to these equations. Equality of outcomes is never going to happen in America. Everyone SHOULD however, have equal opportunities. I think we do better in this area than some of the other posters on this board. I've seen young men - come from absolutely terrible conditions, and rise through the ranks in our Army. They retire at 40-45 with full pension, and go on to solid second careers. Opportunities exist for those who want to pursue them. Some just do not.

SoldierGriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:

I understand. Still choices involved in where to live. The real estate market makes it hard to live where you want to live. I want to live on a mountainside near Vail. It's just not going to happen absent the lottery.

I'm also not trying to be a dick about this. But, we have got to return some sense of personal responsibility to these equations. Equality of outcomes is never going to happen in America. Everyone SHOULD however, have equal opportunities. I think we do better in this area than some of the other posters on this board. I've seen young men - come from absolutely terrible conditions, and rise through the ranks in our Army. They retire at 40-45 with full pension, and go on to solid second careers. Opportunities exist for those who want to pursue them. Some just do not.

I don't think you'll find many who would disagree with your point. People should take responsibility for their choices, nothing is free, it's just a lot more difficult to get to a certain point than it used to be. All can be true at the same time.

Edit to Add italics on what I think sounds like a song lyric. I think I just wrote a chorus.

https://matr.net/news/a-wonderful-success-story-missoulas-kyong-kapalczynski-golden-opportunity-remarkable-careers-that-began-at-mcdonalds/

SoldierGriz said:
EverettGriz said:

Can be. If you take on a crap ton of student debt that propels you into a field that makes little money - that is a poor choice. Why would someone go to TCU to become a teacher, when they can go to Texas State for much cheaper? That is just flat-out a bad choice. Want to be a social worker? Go to community college for 2 years, then find the cheapest possible way to finish that degree.

There are those who believe a college education is job training. I'm not one of those people.

TCCGRIZ said:
AZGrizFan said:
Nobody ever bought a house flipping burgers. That’s a job for teenagers. If you’re a grown-ass adult and you’re flipping burgers, it miiiiiight be because of some piss-poor decisions you made earlier in your life.

That and the lack of manufacturing jobs in the USA , mmmmm wonder where they went ????

guessing you should check country of origin on the products you buy.

TCCGRIZ said:
AZGrizFan said:

“Smart Biz” guys know it works to get er dun elsewhere. That’s were daddy’s lil girl gets her purses made, I s’pose.

Regardless of our ongoing debate, the staples, threads that bind our proud republic are in dire shape.

ilovethecats said:
AZGrizFan said:
Most (some within just the past 10 days or so....).

When I was in Montana in July I was appalled at the number of restaurants that were closed on on severely limited hours because they just couldn't find workers. Tried to got to dinner in Polson on a Sunday evening and had to try four restaurants before we found one open and willing to seat us. Two days later tried to get lunch in Columbia Falls and had to go to SEVEN restaurants at 3:00 in the afternoon on a Tuesday before we found one that was open. Crazy shit.
This is also true. People were definitely making more NOT working than they were working. But that basically just brought to light a bigger problem. I think we're just seeing the beginning of this and I think more and more places will be forced to adjust their hours or close all together.

It's a terrible problem to have because most places I'm aware of are doing record numbers in terms of business. But coming at a price of over-working staff that IS working. So until people find it in their best interest to work these service industry jobs again, owners are better off closing early, closing certain days of the week, etc than they are running off good employees.

It's a mess.
Bozangles Wally World paying $20.50 to start - guess what, not many takers.

Back