• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Staff Shortages at stadium

HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:
If you’re a grown-ass adult and you’re flipping burgers, it miiiiiight be because of some piss-poor decisions you made earlier in your life.

So your premise is that everyone can control everything that happens to them in life?

No. It's much easier to blame "the system" or "the man" (more specifically, the White man). :roll: :roll: :roll:

Ursa Major said:
ilovethecats said:
It's not at all. Look at median income in say, 1990. Then look at median house prices.

Now, look at median income today. Then look at median house prices.

No need to make this more complicated than it needs to be.

If you’re still in a researching mood, take a look at college expenses for that same period.

yeah, us olds didn't have anywhere near the student debt kids have these days, partly because we've allowed our private universities to consider themselves businesses without taxing them. they can pay more to their professors, which in turn makes state universities pay more for theirs, etc etc etc Some kids are wising up and doing their first couple years for free, or very little, at community colleges. that is the route i would recommend to most kids these days.

AZGrizFan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
So your premise is that everyone can control everything that happens to them in life?

No. It's much easier to blame "the system" or "the man" (more specifically, the White man). :roll: :roll: :roll:

thanks for posting that gratuitous whine with no meaning.

poty nominee?

SoldierGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Won't speak for AZ, but that is EXACTLY my premise.

yeah, i could really control that guy who fell asleep at the wheel, jumped the curb, and sent me flying into a tree at high speed, breaking more bones than i can even remember, making it so i couldn't work, etc etc. your endless pseudo bravado is always impressive.

to steal from mike tyson, i'd say people can control everything that happens to them in life, until they get hit in the face with reality.

argh! said:
Ursa Major said:
If you’re still in a researching mood, take a look at college expenses for that same period.

yeah, us olds didn't have anywhere near the student debt kids have these days, partly because we've allowed our private universities to consider themselves businesses without taxing them. they can pay more to their professors, which in turn makes state universities pay more for theirs, etc etc etc Some kids are wising up and doing their first couple years for free, or very little, at community colleges. that is the route i would recommend to most kids these days.

Faculty salaries fall well behind inflation. The reason students have massive debt is because public universities are no longer really funded by the public. Estimating here, in 1980 approximately 85% of the budget was funded by the public. Today, I'm sure the public only funds around 23% of UM's total budget. These numbers are estimates but they are pretty similar across public institutions.

grizpsych said:
argh! said:

Faculty salaries fall well behind inflation. The reason students have massive debt is because public universities are no longer really funded by the public. Estimating here, in 1980 approximately 85% of the budget was funded by the public. Today, I'm sure the public only funds around 23% of UM's total budget. These numbers are estimates but they are pretty similar across public institutions.

that the public doesn't fund universities like it used to is a good point, and is a main reason why student debt is so high. it is also why universities now try to operate like businesses, degrading, in my view, the whole endeavor. as for salaries, i haven't been paying attention since i left. i suspect at a place like u.m., they are not keeping up with inflation, but at harvard, probably...

SoldierGriz said:
Ursa Major said:

Choices. Many are making very, very poor choices. Not one person was ever forced to take on debt. Not one.

Says the guy who has had subsidized food, subsidized housing and subsidized medical care his entire adult life.

argh! said:
SoldierGriz said:
Won't speak for AZ, but that is EXACTLY my premise.

yeah, i could really control that guy who fell asleep at the wheel, jumped the curb, and sent me flying into a tree at high speed, breaking more bones than i can even remember, making it so i couldn't work, etc etc. your endless pseudo bravado is always impressive.

to steal from mike tyson, i'd say people can control everything that happens to them in life, until they get hit in the face with reality.

You should’ve delayed the gratification of not getting hit by a car, but noooooo, you had to try to not get hit by a car right away.

SoldierGriz said:
Ursa Major said:

Choices. Many are making very, very poor choices. Not one person was ever forced to take on debt. Not one.

Totally. Why don’t they just not go to college and get a high paying job without a degree so they can buy their $900k starter home? They need to make the sacrifice and teach themselves to be doctors/lawyers/engineers. Maybe delay some gratification and start a tech company. Look at Zuckerberg; he doesn’t have a degree. Just make the choice to be like that.

CDAGRIZ said:
argh! said:

You should’ve delayed the gratification of not getting hit by a car, but noooooo, you had to try to not get hit by a car right away.

but i wanted to avoid working, and have the government take care of me!

CDAGRIZ said:
SoldierGriz said:

Totally. Why don’t they just not go to college and get a high paying job without a degree so they can buy their $900k starter home? They need to make the sacrifice and teach themselves to be doctors/lawyers/engineers. Maybe delay some gratification and start a tech company. Look at Zuckerberg; he doesn’t have a degree. Just make the choice to be like that.

Good point! And how dare they get sick so young or take care of an ill family member? Don’t they realize that medical care is expensive and will sink their credit rating when the can’t pay? And older family members are going to die sooner or later, get over it and more importantly, get back to work.

Morons!

argh! said:
CDAGRIZ said:

but i wanted to avoid working, and have the government take care of me!

See, that’s the problem with this generation. Everything now. I had to save up for years to be able to afford getting hit by a car. I refuse to recognize that I was blessed with an insane amount of advantages due to the era I lived in, but look at me! I’m the real success story. Everybody should strive to be more like me. Kids these days just expect a car to hit them right out of college.

CDAGRIZ said:
argh! said:

Yeah, because EVERYBODY who can't buy a house got hit by a car. :lol: :lol: :lol:

What a ridiculous comparison.

AZGrizFan said:
sdk.catfish said:
I know we see things differently, but for me this is one of the few positives coming out of Covid. It's like "I aint going to work on Maggie's farm no more". It is unionization without the union dues. Younger people see their generation in terms of Mark Zuckerberg who has billions but has simply enabled society to be missinformed and lied to, withoug contributing one iota to societies betterment. They see Jeff Bezos making billions off the pandemic. They see home prices that they will never be able to afford flipping burgers. So they say f........ it. It is too bad because they don't need to go to college - going into the trades, plumbing, electrical and carpentry will pay better. Yes they will be middle class and partially because of the downfall of unionization they will not be able to live their parents life. They have little barganining power other than to not show up at work. Personally I wish they would take a chance because we need skilled workers but I also understand why they may feel that is futile. But many of us, who grew up when there were better opportunities, should not complain when we have to wait for service at a resturant or go elsewhere because they aren't open. This is the legacy we, along with corrupt do-nothing politicians on both sides, have left them. I have a lot of compassion for the situation that they are facing.

Nobody ever bought a house flipping burgers. That’s a job for teenagers. If you’re a grown-ass adult and you’re flipping burgers, it miiiiiight be because of some piss-poor decisions you made earlier in your life.

Then who is working at McDonald's for morning and lunch shifts?

This mentality cracks me up. Says these jobs are only for kids and no respectable adult should have one, but then throws a hissy fit when your favorite local diner is closed at 2 PM because they can't find anyone to work.

AZGrizFan said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Yeah, because EVERYBODY who can't buy a house got hit by a car. :lol: :lol: :lol:

What a ridiculous comparison.

Pssst, that’s the point…

argh! said:
Ursa Major said:

See? Choices. :thumb: :thumb:

CatzWillRise said:
AZGrizFan said:
Nobody ever bought a house flipping burgers. That’s a job for teenagers. If you’re a grown-ass adult and you’re flipping burgers, it miiiiiight be because of some piss-poor decisions you made earlier in your life.

Probably a grown-ass adult. Who most likely made some very shitty choices earlier in their life.

AZGrizFan said:
CatzWillRise said:

Probably a grown-ass adult. Who most likely made some very shitty choices earlier in their life.

My point is these jobs can't be filled solely by kids, and any adult can't live on the wages - so what's your solution?

The best thing to do is have rich grand parents who will pay for all your education at the best private schools, and then buy you a $2 to $3 million house at the base of a ski area. That would be the best choice that everyone should make.

Back