• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Staff Shortages at stadium

Montanabob said:
ilovethecats said:
This is also true. People were definitely making more NOT working than they were working. But that basically just brought to light a bigger problem. I think we're just seeing the beginning of this and I think more and more places will be forced to adjust their hours or close all together.

It's a terrible problem to have because most places I'm aware of are doing record numbers in terms of business. But coming at a price of over-working staff that IS working. So until people find it in their best interest to work these service industry jobs again, owners are better off closing early, closing certain days of the week, etc than they are running off good employees.

It's a mess.
Bozangles Wally World paying $20.50 to start - guess what, not many takers.
Yep. Walmart and about every single other place that is currently hiring.

argh! said:
grizpsych said:
Faculty salaries fall well behind inflation. The reason students have massive debt is because public universities are no longer really funded by the public. Estimating here, in 1980 approximately 85% of the budget was funded by the public. Today, I'm sure the public only funds around 23% of UM's total budget. These numbers are estimates but they are pretty similar across public institutions.

that the public doesn't fund universities like it used to is a good point, and is a main reason why student debt is so high. it is also why universities now try to operate like businesses, degrading, in my view, the whole endeavor. as for salaries, i haven't been paying attention since i left. i suspect at a place like u.m., they are not keeping up with inflation, but at harvard, probably...
In my experience that starts in 2013, our university starts with the same pay scale or worse now than then. Also, in that time, I have received 5 raises that were to offset inflation. At best, one of these raises was 2.3% of base pay while inflation was over 3%.

Amazing. UM can't get enough ticket takers, concessionaires can't get enough employees. In my naivete, I asked why there is a problem getting part-time, spot labor on a college campus that everyone says is horribly expensive to attend. Requires six to ten games, max. :roll:
A simple microeconomic question, and eight pages later this has morphed into a macroeconomic pissing match, with politics, the dreaded virus, the relative value of a college education, and whatever else comes to mind, all rolled into THIS. WOW! Yes, Virginia, this IS eGriz. Well done, posters, eGriz will never die. :clap:

CDAGRIZ said:
SoldierGriz said:
I understand. Still choices involved in where to live. The real estate market makes it hard to live where you want to live. I want to live on a mountainside near Vail. It's just not going to happen absent the lottery.

I'm also not trying to be a dick about this. But, we have got to return some sense of personal responsibility to these equations. Equality of outcomes is never going to happen in America. Everyone SHOULD however, have equal opportunities. I think we do better in this area than some of the other posters on this board. I've seen young men - come from absolutely terrible conditions, and rise through the ranks in our Army. They retire at 40-45 with full pension, and go on to solid second careers. Opportunities exist for those who want to pursue them. Some just do not.

I don't think you'll find many who would disagree with your point. People should take responsibility for their choices, nothing is free, it's just a lot more difficult to get to a certain point than it used to be. All can be true at the same time.

Edit to Add italics on what I think sounds like a song lyric. I think I just wrote a chorus.

Soldier should wright a book on how black and white and easy life is.

Montanabob said:
ilovethecats said:
This is also true. People were definitely making more NOT working than they were working. But that basically just brought to light a bigger problem. I think we're just seeing the beginning of this and I think more and more places will be forced to adjust their hours or close all together.

It's a terrible problem to have because most places I'm aware of are doing record numbers in terms of business. But coming at a price of over-working staff that IS working. So until people find it in their best interest to work these service industry jobs again, owners are better off closing early, closing certain days of the week, etc than they are running off good employees.

It's a mess.
Bozangles Wally World paying $20.50 to start - guess what, not many takers.

And oh, the horror, they might have to drive in from Three Forks or Livingston every day. :lol: :lol:

Questions for you griz fans... At MSU the Consessions are staffed by non-profits that then get a percentage of the sales toward their group. Last week I believe it was the Girl Scouts at one of them at least. Does UM do similar? Is it non-profits that run the stands? Or is it all UM staff?

CDAGRIZ said:
SoldierGriz said:
Why not? My plumber is a great dude with a nice house and kids in a good school district. Seems happy.

Yep. My dad was in the trades for 40 years, my mom was a stay at home, and we always had a roof over our heads. When I was in second grade, my parents had a new house built. Years later, they told me the lot cost $4k, and the construction was around $70k. 3300 square feet on half an acre. It had everything to do with the choices he made and nothing to do with COL. I choose a brand new single family home for $74k.

Look, Soldier, nobody is saying it makes someone a bad person if he or she benefitted from certain circumstances. I also don't think it diminishes their accomplishments. What I do think is that it's a bit naïve to think it's just as easy today if you just "make good choices". Example: A good friend just bought a house in Newport (Port Streets if you're familiar) for $2.2 million. It's about 2,500 sq. ft. and needs wall to wall renovation. Now, I personally don't think that was a good choice, but that's a different discussion. The thing that struck me is his next door neighbors who have lived there for 25+ years are a retired public school teacher on one side, and a retired cop on the other. Cool guys and noble professions for sure, but the days of teachers and cops buying in that neighborhood are sadly over. It's a shame because it was probably a great middle class, family-type neighborhood back in the day.

Hey, I can’t afford to live in Newport either. Or San Jose. Or a lot of other places. Doesn’t mean things are “harder”. Popularity (of locales) ebbs and flows—as do prices. But beachfront is prime property…like I said in an earlier post….they might not be able to live EXACTLY where they want, but it doesn’t mean the system is broken or institutionally racist, or that it’s just white male priviledge. Soldier’s Vail reference is spot on. My parents raised 10 kids on 8th grade educations (that’s my white male privilege, Handbasket). My dad had three full time jobs to put enough food on the table. I’m the 9th of 10 kids and a first generation HIGH SCHOOL and college graduate—paid for NOT BY a massive debt load, and not by my parents, but by the GI bill and 23 years in the military (subsidized housing and food, I know, Ursa—fair trade for the chance of dying, I suppose). Anybody who wants those “subsidies” is free to join the military. I’ve seen (and know personally) many, many minorities who are very successful after having spent some time in the military—sometimes significant time. There ARE paths out of desperate situations….just gotta be willing to take them. And be willing to move from Newport, CDA. :lol:

AZGrizFan said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Yep. My dad was in the trades for 40 years, my mom was a stay at home, and we always had a roof over our heads. When I was in second grade, my parents had a new house built. Years later, they told me the lot cost $4k, and the construction was around $70k. 3300 square feet on half an acre. It had everything to do with the choices he made and nothing to do with COL. I choose a brand new single family home for $74k.

Look, Soldier, nobody is saying it makes someone a bad person if he or she benefitted from certain circumstances. I also don't think it diminishes their accomplishments. What I do think is that it's a bit naïve to think it's just as easy today if you just "make good choices". Example: A good friend just bought a house in Newport (Port Streets if you're familiar) for $2.2 million. It's about 2,500 sq. ft. and needs wall to wall renovation. Now, I personally don't think that was a good choice, but that's a different discussion. The thing that struck me is his next door neighbors who have lived there for 25+ years are a retired public school teacher on one side, and a retired cop on the other. Cool guys and noble professions for sure, but the days of teachers and cops buying in that neighborhood are sadly over. It's a shame because it was probably a great middle class, family-type neighborhood back in the day.

Hey, I can’t afford to live in Newport either. Or San Jose. Or a lot of other places. Doesn’t mean things are “harder”. Popularity (of locales) ebbs and flows—as do prices. But beachfront is prime property…like I said in an earlier post….they might not be able to live EXACTLY where they want, but it doesn’t mean the system is broken or institutionally racist, or that it’s just white male priviledge. Soldier’s Vail reference is spot on. My parents raised 10 kids on 8th grade educations (that’s my white male privilege, Handbasket). My dad had three full time jobs to put enough food on the table. I’m the 9th of 10 kids and a first generation HIGH SCHOOL and college graduate—paid for NOT BY a massive debt load, and not by my parents, but by the GI bill and 23 years in the military (subsidized housing and food, I know, Ursa—fair trade for the chance of dying, I suppose). Anybody who wants those “subsidies” is free to join the military. I’ve seen (and know personally) many, many minorities who are very successful after having spent some time in the military—sometimes significant time. There ARE paths out of desperate situations….just gotta be willing to take them. And be willing to move from Newport, CDA. :lol:

Oh, for sure, I get it. I used to work with a woman who wanted to live in Pacific Palisades more than anything in the world and wouldn't accept anything less. I agree that kind of mindset is pretty lame and entitled. My point was that a teacher and a cop were seemingly able to comfortably afford a (non-coastal) neighborhood in Newport 25+ years ago. There is no way that is happening now. It's just not. I understand that thems the breaks, but just pointing out the situation. It's much more difficult to own a single family home than it used to be. I don't think it's deniable.

Also, thanks for your service; Soldier too.

AZGrizFan said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Housing is a commodity just like anything else. Price is dictated by supply and demand. The 3 bed 2 bath home in Bozeman that goes for $750K would cost maybe $75-80K in rural South Carolina, Mississippi, or Alabama. Think Broadus, Melstone, and Scobey too. It's easier to accumulate capital in some places over others when starting out. Smart people know this. The privileged woke don't know what I'm talking about. If I had to pick the difference in attitude of high school and college students today from my day in the 70's, is we defined our futures talking about what were willing to do and where we would go to do it, and today they talk about what they won't do and where they won't live. We would do what it takes to get where we wanted to go, and today they won't do anything it unless its the end game of what they want, where they want to be. The sad truth is the cellphone generations know nothing but instant gratification, and depression when it doesn't happen.

CDAGRIZ said:
SoldierGriz said:
Why not? My plumber is a great dude with a nice house and kids in a good school district. Seems happy.

To echo CDA I have friends who live in a Colorado mountain town, three kids. He's a diesel equipment mechanic and she's a physical therapist. Bought their house 30 years ago a raised a great family. Their neighborhood is now a few air bnb's and lots of second homes. There is absolutely no way a mechanic and PT could buy a house in that neighborhood. And......the town they live in can't hire enough diesel mechanics to keep the town's trucks workable and if you need a PT you might be able to get an appointment in 6 or 8 weeks. I have no idea what the solution to this problem is, but for these making a choice live in the neighborhood they grew up in is prolly not an option.

This is anecdotal, but most of the folks I know who worked in the service industry quit due to COVID, but not because they were afraid of catching it. The issue is that half of the state seems to have turned into raging lunatics that think it's perfectly fine to yell at and threaten a teenager for politely asking them to wear a mask. I don't care if you think Biden personally drafted the hoax pandemic in his underground pizza pedo restaurant, but blaming the poor barista who is rushing to make your latte for a policy that they have no control over is just absolute sociopath behavior. And even if it's just a handful of people each day, much like internet comments the negative ones stick out so much more than the positive ones.

People suck and I don't blame anyone for not wanting to deal with them regardless of how much it pays. Better to do as my acquaintances did, stay home or take a lower paying job in another industry while pursuing education in a field that doesn't involve dealing with Karens every day.

horribilisfan8184 said:
AZGrizFan said:

Housing is a commodity just like anything else. Price is dictated by supply and demand. The 3 bed 2 bath home in Bozeman that goes for $750K would cost maybe $75-80K in rural South Carolina, Mississippi, or Alabama. Think Broadus, Melstone, and Scobey too. It's easier to accumulate capital in some places over others when starting out. Smart people know this. The privileged woke don't know what I'm talking about. If I had to pick the difference in attitude of high school and college students today from my day in the 70's, is we defined our futures talking about what were willing to do and where we would go to do it, and today they talk about what they won't do and where they won't live. We would do what it takes to get where we wanted to go, and today they won't do anything it unless its the end game of what they want, where they want to be. The sad truth is the cellphone generations know nothing but instant gratification, and depression when it doesn't happen.

Lot of jobs in Scobey? I only ask because if the advice to young college grads is to move to Scobey to afford a home, I hope they have jobs for them. Maybe something in electrical engineering or clinical psychology?

UnderratedWalrus said:
This is anecdotal, but most of the folks I know who worked in the service industry quit due to COVID, but not because they were afraid of catching it. The issue is that half of the state seems to have turned into raging lunatics that think it's perfectly fine to yell at and threaten a teenager for politely asking them to wear a mask. I don't care if you think Biden personally drafted the hoax pandemic in his underground pizza pedo restaurant, but blaming the poor barista who is rushing to make your latte for a policy that they have no control over is just absolute sociopath behavior. And even if it's just a handful of people each day, much like internet comments the negative ones stick out so much more than the positive ones.

People suck and I don't blame anyone for not wanting to deal with them regardless of how much it pays. Better to do as my acquaintances did, stay home or take a lower paying job in another industry while pursuing education in a field that doesn't involve dealing with Karens every day.

On this I 100% agree. I try very very hard NOT to “shoot the messenger”. I applaud ANYONE who actually came to work that day, and I tip really, really well when I eat dinner out. :lol: :lol:

horribilisfan8184 said:
If I had to pick the difference in attitude of high school and college students today from my day in the 70's, is we defined our futures talking about what were willing to do and where we would go to do it, and today they talk about what they won't do and where they won't live. We would do what it takes to get where we wanted to go, and today they won't do anything it unless its the end game of what they want, where they want to be. The sad truth is the cellphone generations know nothing but instant gratification, and depression when it doesn't happen.

your post is nothing more than self-aggrandizing bullshit, the age-old "my generation is tougher than yours" blather. but, it obviously gives you a sense of instant gratification, and, i suppose, depression when you get laughed at for your self-absorbed view of the world.

alabamagrizzly said:
CDAGRIZ said:
I don't think you'll find many who would disagree with your point. People should take responsibility for their choices, nothing is free, it's just a lot more difficult to get to a certain point than it used to be. All can be true at the same time.

Edit to Add italics on what I think sounds like a song lyric. I think I just wrote a chorus.

I don't think he said life was easy, I think he said life was possible. It's about the choices you make and the responsibilty you are willing to accept for those choices.

CDAGRIZ said:
Lot of jobs in Scobey? I only ask because if the advice to young college grads is to move to Scobey to afford a home, I hope they have jobs for them. Maybe something in electrical engineering or clinical psychology?

but i thought scobey do be do be do? the translation, of course, is that they are existential doers, so obviously they have lots of jobs. and houses to buy. never mind that my quick search said there aren't any houses to buy. i haven't got to the help wanted section yet, but i bet...

alabamagrizzly said:
CDAGRIZ said:

i bet he's a good wrighter, so why not?

argh! said:
CDAGRIZ said:

but i thought scobey do be do be do? the translation, of course, is that they are existential doers, so obviously they have lots of jobs. and houses to buy. never mind that my quick search said there aren't any houses to buy. i haven't got to the help wanted section yet, but i bet...

Bet there's not a lot of unemployment in Scobey

argh! said:
horribilisfan8184 said:
If I had to pick the difference in attitude of high school and college students today from my day in the 70's, is we defined our futures talking about what were willing to do and where we would go to do it, and today they talk about what they won't do and where they won't live. We would do what it takes to get where we wanted to go, and today they won't do anything it unless its the end game of what they want, where they want to be. The sad truth is the cellphone generations know nothing but instant gratification, and depression when it doesn't happen.

your post is nothing more than self-aggrandizing bullshit, the age-old "my generation is tougher than yours" blather. but, it obviously gives you a sense of instant gratification, and, i suppose, depression when you get laughed at for your self-absorbed view of the world.

Bought my first piece of shit car at 16 for $300 with money I earned washing dishes and bussing tables. Worked two jobs through high school to have money for gas, insurance, repairs, and flash for the girls who didn't like deadbeats. (3 jobs in the summers) Moved out at 18 and been on my own ever since. worked to pay for college through a doctorate. Bought first home at 27, the first year I made over $30K for $45K Didn't have kids until 30 when I could afford to raise them. Didn't get to live in the city of my dream until 59. The only instant gratification I ever got was from the girls who swooned over good looking hockey players. I only get laughed at by the people I call out for their bullshit because that's all they got.

MikeyGriz said:
argh! said:

Bet there's not a lot of unemployment in Scobey

If your unemployed in Scobey, you move somewhere else and become unemployed there.

Latest posts

Back