• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Summer 2022 Transfers (8)

Got to give Walker some credit. Dude spent 4 years at Nebraska, rarely played, but stayed and got his degree. All-state offensive AND defensive lineman in HS….he definitely fills a need.

The recruiting thread is messed up for me as well. Don’t know what’s going on there. I saw today that NDSU has 13 commitments for 2023 already, four of which are three star prospects. 8 states are represented in their recruiting pool. In regard to recruiting they are certainly far and away better than us. They beat out interest from Pitt, JMU, and West Virginia for this QB prospect. They are definitely the benchmark for what we should strive here.

https://thebluebloodspod.com/north-dakota-state-qb-trey-drake/?fbclid=IwAR3yd0laYV68JEfPsXDOytTSqhpHfhyVnUPN4zOYPWeOh1JgunBSSCgUTy4&fs=e&s=cl

On another topic, I was listening to a podcast the other day on how recruiting has changed, and it made me think of the shots that our staff take on Olinemen that we almost certainly won’t get. The gist of the pod was that now with transfer portal rules it’s good practice to take those shots and extend offers to kids you’re unlikely to land, then keep them on frindly terms (e.g. twitter and other socials) that way in the event they hit the transfer portal you have that connection and are on good terms. Coaches who get beat out on recruits are congratulating those recruits vi social media, and then keep them on their rather than cut ties. Seems like maybe in our case with the shots we take maybe we are hoping that pays dividends later? Just a thought

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
The recruiting thread is messed up for me as well. Don’t know what’s going on there. I saw today that NDSU has 13 commitments for 2023 already, four of which are three star prospects. 8 states are represented in their recruiting pool. In regard to recruiting they are certainly far and away better than us. They beat out interest from Pitt, JMU, and West Virginia for this QB prospect. They are definitely the benchmark for what we should strive here.

https://thebluebloodspod.com/north-dakota-state-qb-trey-drake/?fbclid=IwAR3yd0laYV68JEfPsXDOytTSqhpHfhyVnUPN4zOYPWeOh1JgunBSSCgUTy4&fs=e&s=cl

On another topic, I was listening to a podcast the other day on how recruiting has changed, and it made me think of the shots that our staff take on Olinemen that we almost certainly won’t get. The gist of the pod was that now with transfer portal rules it’s good practice to take those shots and extend offers to kids you’re unlikely to land, then keep them on frindly terms (e.g. twitter and other socials) that way in the event they hit the transfer portal you have that connection and are on good terms. Coaches who get beat out on recruits are congratulating those recruits vi social media, and then keep them on their rather than cut ties. Seems like maybe in our case with the shots we take maybe we are hoping that pays dividends later? Just a thought

That’s great and all, sowing seeds for the future, but how about TODAY? We have literally ONE true freshman O-lineman coming into camp this year. If people are truly honest with themselves, they would have absolutely FLAME SPRAYED Stitt if this were the case. Four kickers. One O-lineman. Sow all the future seeds you want, but SOME you have to be able to harvest TODAY.

AZGrizFan said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:

That’s great and all, sowing seeds for the future, but how about TODAY? We have literally ONE true freshman O-lineman coming into camp this year. If people are truly honest with themselves, they would have absolutely FLAME SPRAYED Stitt if this were the case. Four kickers. One O-lineman. Sow all the future seeds you want, but SOME you have to be able to harvest TODAY.

Don’t disagree. I’m real concerned that our offensive line has been so neglected. Not sure what the answer is. Does germer need to go? Do we need a new recruiting coordinator? Who is it that is dropping the ball?

hm.grwn.grizfan said:

Winning 27 FCS championships in a row will do wonders for your recruiting.

AZGrizFan said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:

Posted elsewhere previously, it would appear to be useful here for all the stupid wayward comparisons of kickers to OLmen on the roster. If you want a comparison, compare the scholarship coverage of kickers to OLmen. You're smart enough to do that.

"The current roster shows 12 OLmen, none of which are seniors and it does not include Walker. It sinks in easily if one recalls BH's comments during the recruiting cycle stating that we did not need to get younger, suggesting that Walker and maybe another is what he felt we needed while the youngsters develop."

kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:
Posted elsewhere previously, it would appear to be useful here for all the stupid wayward comparisons of kickers to OLmen on the roster. If you want a comparison, compare the scholarship coverage of kickers to OLmen. You're smart enough to do that.

"The current roster shows 12 OLmen, none of which are seniors and it does not include Walker. It sinks in easily if one recalls BH's comments during the recruiting cycle stating that we did not need to get younger, suggesting that Walker and maybe another is what he felt we needed while the youngsters develop."

Doesn’t change the fact that if Stitt had ANY class with just one walk-on O-lineman many on here, and you specifically, would have crucified him. All this means is he’ll be searching high and low 2 years from now to fill out THIS class after striking out across the board.

As as a former O-lineman, you should know, 12 is not nearly enough.

AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:

Doesn’t change the fact that if Stitt had ANY class with just one walk-on O-lineman many on here, and you specifically, would have crucified him. All this means is he’ll be searching high and low 2 years from now to fill out THIS class after striking out across the board.

Aww...poor maligned Stitt. It's our fault of course that he has zero demand as a football coach.

The number will be at least 14, only one of which is a true frosh, and that is plenty. And that's working from the outdated roster currently on gogriz.com. If you're suggesting BH doesn't prioritize OLmen, you're dead wrong and while you love to criticize him, you know it. Let's readdress this "crisis" once the roster is updated. There were of course complications from the covid eligibility in terms of schollie availability. He will focus on HS kids again next year.

Meanwhile comparing the number of OLmen to kickers in summer camp has been truly insightful.

kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:

Aww...poor maligned Stitt. It's our fault of course that he has zero demand as a football coach.

The number will be at least 14, only one of which is a true frosh, and that is plenty. And that's working from the outdated roster currently on gogriz.com. If you're suggesting BH doesn't prioritize OLmen, you're dead wrong and while you love to criticize him, you know it. Let's readdress this "crisis" once the roster is updated. There were of course complications from the covid eligibility in terms of schollie availability. He will focus on HS kids again next year.

Meanwhile comparing the number of OLmen to kickers in summer camp has been truly insightful.

Even more meaningful watching you try and explain away and defend this when you'd be shredding any other coach not named Hauck.

I'm not suggesting Hauck doesn't "prioritize" O-linemen. I'm suggesting he's not doing a very good job of LANDING them.

AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:

Even more meaningful watching you try and explain away and defend this when you'd be shredding any other coach not named Hauck.

I'm not suggesting Hauck doesn't "prioritize" O-linemen. I'm suggesting he's not doing a very good job of LANDING them.
Your promotion of an OL crisis is premature when you don't have a clear picture of the roster and you show little respect for the OL recruits of the last two years. Yes, it hurt to lose the younger Mayginnes and the poor job of LANDING him; I'll hand you that one.

kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:

Your promotion of an OL crisis is premature when you don't have a clear picture of the roster and you show little respect for the OL recruits of the last two years. Yes, it hurt to lose the younger Mayginnes and the poor job of LANDING him; I'll hand you that one.

I posted this response in the kicker thread to soldiers criticing of our O line recruiting but it might be more appropriate here, especially since many people don’t care to post about kickers.

“Didn’t it start as soon as they got here?(my answer to soldiers question when developing our current O line would begin) Did you expect any of them to start ahead of Dylan Cook, Moses Mallory, or Conlan Beaver? How many Fr have we had start on the O line for the Griz in the last 20-30 years? Of our 12 O lineman, 2 will now be 2 and 3 year starters, 2 others will be upper class men that have been backing up our 3 graduates, and the other 8 are So and Fr. You talk about Germer not developing lineman but you expect these guys to start as Fr. Those 2 points don’t match up. Development takes 2-3 years most times. It’s relatively rare to have a 3 year starter on the line and extremely rare to have a 4 year starter. Beaver started out of necessity at first and developed by trial under fire. Cook was an NFL talent that, might I remind you, never played a down of O line before Germer.”

I have now stated a couple of times that I’m fine with the recruits Hauck has brought in and like every team in the country, it’s now next man up for them. No one is a standout tell they get a chance to prove it on the field. Most of these guys are now gonna get that chance. “Let them Play!”

kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:

I’m not “promoting” an O-line crisis. It’s been here for years. But your inability to see past Hauck’s god-like status and admit that there’s been a consistent problem during his tenure here is telling. How desperate are we that we have to take an NAIA QB and make him an O-lineman? How desperate are we that our line is filled with transfers? How desperate are we that we’re willing to take a Nebraska D-lineman and convert him to starting LT? If this were the occasional occurrence I’d shrug and think nothing of it, but it’s the NORM. And has been for quite some time.

And it’s not ME that has little respect for the current OL recruits on the roster…go read their bios on GoGriz.com….talk about showing “little respect”. They’ve got 5th year seniors in that list that “should contribute”, or “should see playing time”….

And finally: I like Mayginnes. I like Forbes. I like the look of Walker. I think there’s a couple guys in the room who could fill the other spots—I think there’s promise there, and I get that sometimes you don’t know what you have until you see it in action. But we’d better get damned lucky with injuries on that line or its gonna be a long year—because there ain’t ANY depth if one of the starting 5 go down.

Either way, I’ve complained about this issue enough. There’s nothing I can do about it, and it’s not going to make me cheer any less hard for the Griz and it’s not going to make me turn in my season tickets or not be in my seats come September. Just wish Hauck and Germer could break the code (like they have with safeties and CB’s and QB’s and RB’s, and even DL to a large extent). Because without a functioning O-line, the rest is all pretty much just window dressing.

AZGrizFan said:
How desperate are we that we have to take an NAIA QB and make him an O-lineman? How desperate are we that our line is filled with transfers? How desperate are we that we’re willing to take a Nebraska D-lineman and convert him to starting LT? If this were the occasional occurrence I’d shrug and think nothing of it, but it’s the NORM. And has been for quite some time.

I think you are over emphasizing the "desperation" of these moves. I think that they moved a QB and DL to OL because they recognized the ability of each player and not out of desperation. I also believe that looking for OL transfers will be the norm for the future to come. Montana seems to be using this philosophy with a few different positions. I am not going to suggest that there doesn't seem to be a shortage of players along the OL, but I will give them the benefit of the doubt in the short term.

HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:
How desperate are we that we have to take an NAIA QB and make him an O-lineman? How desperate are we that our line is filled with transfers? How desperate are we that we’re willing to take a Nebraska D-lineman and convert him to starting LT? If this were the occasional occurrence I’d shrug and think nothing of it, but it’s the NORM. And has been for quite some time.

I think you are over emphasizing the "desperation" of these moves. I think that they moved a QB and DL to OL because they recognized the ability of each player and not out of desperation. I also believe that looking for OL transfers will be the norm for the future to come. Montana seems to be using this philosophy with a few different positions. I am not going to suggest that there doesn't seem to be a shortage of players along the OL, but I will give them the benefit of the doubt in the short term.

Agreed, somewhat. But if we’re recognizing ability in players NOT recruited as O-linemen, how come we don’t seem to have the ability to see that same ability in players specifically recruited out of HS to be O-linemen? Just seems like an inordinate number of converted TE’s, DE’s, LB’s (didn’t Sirmon come in as an LB?), etc., etc. and very few actual HS recruits that pan out at O-line. And hell, i could be completely off and maybe every other team has this same problem and solves it the same way…just don’t seem to remember us having this problem in past years (like 90’s, early 2000’s). And one would think with the explosion of talent out there and all the 3* guys who don’t find a home we’d be able to find a few gems that want to come play in our awesome stadium in front of our awesome crowd…instead BH’s approach seems to be shoot for the stars and hope someday they’ll come back to us if they get buried on their depth chart at the P5 school they got a scholarship to…

AZ I agree with you 100%. Hauck came in and fixed our CB problem within a year. Why the hell do we have OL issues with stars and depth year after year for at least 6-7 years running. I’m over Germer. His position group has had more issues with people leaving and not landing any studs than any other.

I share the same thoughts as a couple other posters last week that I actually think our o-line will be good this year, and believe it or not, I don’t think they have to be as good as last year with Johnson, Knight, Ostmo, and Harris all in the back field. Hence why I don’t think Bobby is all that concerned.

Now I would be a little concerned if we needed to insert either KB or Britt at QB as those 2 are not nearly as elusive as Johnson. That’s where things IMO could start to get a little bit concerning.

Griz til I die said:
I share the same thoughts as a couple other posters last week that I actually think our o-line will be good this year, and believe it or not, I don’t think they have to be as good as last year with Johnson, Knight, Ostmo, and Harris all in the back field. Hence why I don’t think Bobby is all that concerned.

Now I would be a little concerned if we needed to insert either KB or Britt at QB as those 2 are not nearly as elusive as Johnson. That’s where things IMO could start to get a little bit concerning.

I guess my concern is keeping all those horses healthy....

The issue isn’t Hauck, it’s Germer. Suppose you could blame Hauck as he’s the one who carried over this clown. Germer does NOTHING to develop the younger talent. It isn’t so much that they don’t have any talent, our staff doesn’t work with them. They work with 5 lineman and that is it. I know full well how scout teams work but Germer will pick out his 1-2 favorite young guys and for whatever reason he picks the ones that do not have the most upside. This past season he had a young favorite at Left Tackle get dominated over and over and over. All he could do was tell him to stick with it. He would tear into our defense for embarrassing him. Perhaps he could try and get this young man some coaching so that wouldn’t continue to happen. But he doesn’t. I truly don’t think he knows how to coach mechanics. And if he does, he does a piss poor job of doing it. And maybe that’s part of it, he has almost zero communication skills.

Don’t take my word for anything either. Just count how many OL wash out of the system. It’s crazy how many of our OL just out and out quit. Most can’t take him. They will give the proper answer when asked but they despise this guy. I guarantee that if we were to get a OL coach that players would run through a wall for, and of course, knew how to coach the OL, you would see less and less of this crap that is going on right now. The dude is a cancer.

On a final note, think back to the past few seasons. We are up 30 points in the game and it’s clearly out of hand. The defense has rotated their 2’s and probably some 3’s into the game. Depth really isn’t a question on defense is it??How many 2’s come into the game for the OL? Probably 1-2 at the most. Why not put some 2’s into the game and see where they are at? Maybe give them a taste? They don’t start putting some real substitutions on the line until the last few minutes of the game. I’m not saying let the 2’s protect your starting QB either. He should also be out of the damn game for the same reason to give our backup some real reps. They need to start putting the 2’s in to see what they have and possibly the 3’s. I seriously think they do not right now because they would be ashamed of what they have on the squad. That bothers me because there are young guys on the team with talent but it hasn’t had a chance to develop. Again, that is all on Germer.

AZGrizFan said:
Griz til I die said:

I guess my concern is keeping all those horses healthy....

Says every team with every position group every year.

Latest posts

Back