• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

This is one of the most talented Griz teams we've had in a while

Gee all these cat fans bumping pre-season posts, good stuff guys, real good stuff. I wasn't the only person that thought highly of this team considering the way they were voted in the pre-season polls by media and coaches too.

I still think this team was/is loaded with talent. I probably missed on point 4 in hindsight, maybe this staff's old school stubborn approach was more of a detriment. Once again our inability to have a minimal dropoff if we lose QB1 proved a downfall as well.

You were spot on Brint! Most talented Griz team ever goes 4-4 in conference. I think your biggest miss was saying the 2’s could win a bunch of BigSky games, I guess that wasn’t the case at QB.

BWahlberg said:
Gee all these cat fans bumping pre-season posts, good stuff guys, real good stuff. I wasn't the only person that thought highly of this team considering the way they were voted in the pre-season polls by media and coaches too.

I still think this team was/is loaded with talent. I probably missed on point 4 in hindsight, maybe this staff's old school stubborn approach was more of a detriment. Once again our inability to have a minimal dropoff if we lose QB1 proved a downfall as well.

Your early post was correct. The one thing no expected was to lose the no. 1 qb for a few tough games, and then have him hurt in a few more, combined with not having a strong back-up. Like everyone, I assumed Brown would have improved from last year. You have no need to be defensive; you were spot on. Heck, just give us the SS and Weber wins, and it would be a different season now.

Yep Luc J’s injuries were the only reason for the terrible season, he always played great, never had any critical fumbles, going to be hard to replace him.

Westcoastfan said:
You were spot on Brint! Most talented Griz team ever goes 4-4 in conference. I think your biggest miss was saying the 2’s could win a bunch of BigSky games, I guess that wasn’t the case at QB.

Sure wasn't! Swing and a miss there

Westcoastfan said:
Yep Luc J’s injuries were the only reason for the terrible season, he always played great, never had any critical fumbles, going to be hard to replace him.

The main reason, not the only reason. He played very well most of the time, and when he didn't he was very sick (Idaho) or a bit hurt. Take away MSU's 2 qb's for some tough games, and the Cats lose. '

Why are you such an asshole? Settle down, and we will dispose of you again.

mthoopsfan said:
Westcoastfan said:

The main reason, not the only reason. He played very well most of the time, and when he didn't he was very sick (Idaho) or a bit hurt. Take away MSU's 2 qb's for some tough games, and the Cats lose. '

The Cats wouldn't miss a beat by placing one of their running backs at qb. We still would have given up 450 yards. Johnson played well against poor teams and found a way to exit when things got tough.

indiancoyote said:
mthoopsfan said:

The Cats wouldn't miss a beat by placing one of their running backs at qb. We still would have given up 450 yards. Johnson played well against poor teams and found a way to exit when things got tough.

Johnson played well against SEMO, well against SS until he got hurt, and well or fairly well in the first half against NDSU (until the fumble). Get off your narrative and use the facts.

indiancoyote said:
mthoopsfan said:

That’s a pretty dick comment. I’m just sure he was “looking for an exit” when he was targeted by the Sac State douchebag. I’m sure he was “looking for an exit” when his head was almost ripped off by an uncalled blatant facemask. yeah, real soft, that one. Dude played on one leg for half the season and you want to question his toughness? :roll: :roll:

AZGrizFan said:
indiancoyote said:

That’s a pretty dick comment. I’m just sure he was “looking for an exit” when he was targeted by the Sac State douchebag. I’m sure he was “looking for an exit” when his head was almost ripped off by an uncalled blatant facemask. yeah, real soft, that one. Dude played on one leg for half the season and you want to question his toughness? :roll: :roll:

No one and I mean no one will question the toughness of the Big Johnson. Dude played his ass off...glad he was a Griz.

SoldierGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

No one and I mean no one will question the toughness of the Big Johnson. Dude played his ass off...glad he was a Griz.
There are people that come with their criticism of the program and Hauck with good faith that genuinely want what's best for our team, and then there are assholes that just want to be shitty. Classic eGriz.

Johnson may have been tough but he made crucial mistakes in almost every game he was healthy in, not just like missing open guys but critical turnovers in every game.

41>37 said:
Johnson may have been tough but he made crucial mistakes in almost every game he was healthy in, not just like missing open guys but critical turnovers in every game.
He wasn't healthy since the Idaho State game, can you give examples of those crucial mistakes in the first 5 games?

I can only think of the goal line fumble.

First one that comes to my mind is that pick he threw late in the game against Idaho. Also remember him fumbling in the rivalry game and against SEMO.

FlyCastingCat said:
First one that comes to my mind is that pick he threw late in the game against Idaho. Also remember him fumbling in the rivalry game and against SEMO.
Bro said when he was healthy, and he wasn't healthy for those games. :|

It’s impossible to discern how good Johnson actually was because his healthy stretch of the season also coincides with the easy stretch of the season.

So was his play poor later in the year because he was hurt or was he just exposed by better defenses or some combination? You can’t really definitively know that.

And you can’t appeal to past play, because he didn’t start and you can’t appeal to future play, because he’s done.

Lord Vigo said:
It’s impossible to discern how good Johnson actually was because his healthy stretch of the season also coincides with the easy stretch of the season.

So was his play poor later in the year because he was hurt or was he just exposed by better defenses or some combination? You can’t really definitively know that.

And you can’t appeal to past play, because he didn’t start and you can’t appeal to future play, because he’s done.
Agreed. There's nothing wrong with calling out Johnson for the mistakes he made later in the year while he was playing. Suggesting he was healthy at the end of the year is just not true, however.

uofmman1122 said:
Lord Vigo said:

Agreed. There's nothing wrong with calling out Johnson for the mistakes he made later in the year while he was playing. Suggesting he was healthy at the end of the year is just not true, however.

Johnson also played well later in the season in various games. But he was never the same after the SS hit. He ran less, and didn't run as well. I assume he was holding back and protecting himself. That hit changed the course of the season for this very good and promising team. And yes, the Griz didn't have a good enough replacement at qb, and the D wasn't able to make up, all the time, for the loss of offense. A missed opportunity, but this happens in sport all the time. Next man up, and you hope it's enough. It isn't sometimes. Life goes on. And for the fans, there's always next year

Back