• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

This is one of the most talented Griz teams we've had in a while

BWahlberg

DONOR
Sugar coated post warning. If you are easily triggered by over-positive posts then please stop reading now.
You've been warned.

I don't know if we've seen a more talented top-to-bottom football roster like this in a while. Maybe 2011, or the 2006 - 2009 stretch, or 2001. Does this translate to a national title run? I don't know. There's so many variables, team health, bad luck, tough bracket, etc. Feel free to put me on blast if this doesn't come to fruition, but I'm over the top excited about what the 2022 Griz could be.

Here's a few things that give me this opinion:

1. We've never had skilled depth like this. When I look at the 2-deep the team released I think that the 2nd team could post a winning record in the conference. Save a few unknown spots and some new faces that I'd need to see more from in a few positions - I think there's lot of guys that could start right now for more than 1/2 of the Big Sky Conference. What does that mean for the success of the 2022 Griz? I see three major positives. First off, special teams. The ST unit is not loaded with dudes and as we've seen frequently enough, outstanding ST play can flip a game (Griz-cat last year). Secondly, I just bet we'll see a ton of rotation in positions, especially on defense and WR/RB. This will allow the entire team to stay more fresh through games. We won't have to put our starting 3 LBs out there for 85+ snaps every game, etc. Third, in the event of injury, there will be a minimal drop-off in talent at that position with the new face. Every season there's challenging injuries that are part of the game. This group is better built to withstand that than ones we've had in a long time.

2. The defense has generational talent in multiple positions. Ford and O'Connell were both Buchanan finalists. We have 3 on the watch-list this year. Add in that we have the best 1-2 DT combo in the country, the biggest D-line we've had since Hauck's return, and up to 5 corners that I believe we can steadily rely upon... This side of the ball is loaded.

3. The offense isn't 1-dimensional. I think 2021's biggest challenge we hit was that teams didn't respect the Grizzlies running game. That's not the case this year. There's 4 running backs now that command respect. Johnson at QB brings a far better ground attack to his game, and honestly Brown has really improved his whole game as well. Brent Pease himself said this is the best WR corps he's worked with, and I think we've all talked enough about how much of a beast Grossman should be.

4. This coaching staff has seen it all and have built this team to go toe to toe with the teams that regularly make the semi finals, or the national title game.

Yes, I know, there's concerns & unknown items. O-line, kickers, the last 4 games of the schedule. All give good reason to be worried about how things shake out.

I'm excited as hell for this team. I believe we're on the brink of a new era of success that's built upon the foundation of the last few years teams that will catapult the Griz into more post season success than we have experienced in over a decade. I'm looking forward to this season, I think it's going to be a fun one.

Go Griz!

BWahlberg said:
Sugar coated post warning. If you are easily triggered by over-positive posts then please stop reading now.
You've been warned.

I don't know if we've seen a more talented top-to-bottom football roster like this in a while. Maybe 2011, or the 2006 - 2009 stretch, or 2001. Does this translate to a national title run? I don't know. There's so many variables, team health, bad luck, tough bracket, etc. Feel free to put me on blast if this doesn't come to fruition, but I'm over the top excited about what the 2022 Griz could be.

1. We've never had skilled depth like this. When I look at the 2-deep the team released I think that the 2nd team could post a winning record in the conference. Save a few unknown spots and some new faces that I'd need to see more from in a few positions - I think there's lot of guys that could start right now for more than 1/2 of the Big Sky Conference. What does that mean for the success of the 2022 Griz? I see three major positives. First off, special teams. The ST unit is not loaded with dudes and as we've seen frequently enough, outstanding ST play can flip a game (Griz-cat last year). Secondly, I just bet we'll see a ton of rotation in positions, especially on defense and WR/RB. This will allow the entire team to stay more fresh through games. We won't have to put our starting 3 LBs out there for 85+ snaps every game, etc. Third, in the event of injury, there will be a minimal drop-off in talent at that position with the new face. Every season there's challenging injuries that are part of the game. This group is better built to withstand that than ones we've had in a long time.

2. The defense has generational talent in multiple positions. Ford and O'Connell were both Buchanan finalists. We have 3 on the watch-list this year. Add in that we have the best 1-2 DT combo in the country, the biggest D-line we've had since Hauck's return, and up to 5 corners that I believe we can steadily rely upon... This side of the ball is loaded.

3. The offense isn't 1-dimensional. I think 2021's biggest challenge we hit was that teams didn't respect the Grizzlies running game. That's not the case this year. There's 4 running backs now that command respect. Johnson at QB brings a far better ground attack to his game, and honestly Brown has really improved his whole game as well. Brent Pease himself said this is the best WR corps he's worked with, and I think we've all talked enough about how much of a beast Grossman should be.

4. This coaching staff has seen it all and have built this team to go toe to toe with the teams that regularly make the semi finals, or the national title game.

Yes, I know, there's concerns & unknown items. O-line, kickers, the last 4 games of the schedule. All give good reason to be worried about how things shake out.

I'm excited as hell for this team. I believe we're on the brink of a new era of success that's built upon the foundation of the last few years teams that will catapult the Griz into more post season success than we have experienced in over a decade. I'm looking forward to this season, I think it's going to be a fun one.

Go Griz!

This year's defense might be the best I can remember. They have a chance to lead the FCS is several categories, and are good enough to take this team deep into the playoffs.

The question is can the offense play complimentary football? They will get the ball back...can they improve on 3rd down? Perhaps the running game will improve. We'll soon find out if exceptional backs can make up for an o-line with huge question marks.

I am pumped for the season! Hope to see everyone in Frisco!

This is a very talented and deep team. I feel as the season approaches late October and early November, the depth and the ability to keep fresh arms and legs on the field will be the defining factor to allow the Griz to capture a top two seed heading into the playoffs. Teams with lesser depth will be unable to overcome the wear and tear of the season and will fizzle out like rats leaving the litter box during the 3rd quarter of a game played on November 19th this year.

BWahlberg said:
You've been warned.

Go Griz!

I am on board with the optimism.

BUT,

What has changed so drastically on offense, outside of QB play (and a couple RB), from the mess we saw against a team like JMU in the playoffs? Is that enough?

The Grizzlies had a game manager last season at quarterback and were snake bit at running back. Lucas Johnson was the starting quarterback at SDSU when they beat Utah ( they damn near won the Rose Bowl) and he started their bowl game victory. He is a 7 year Senior that looks like he should be playing quarterback for Eastern Washington. Marcus Knight was a 2nd team all American a couple years back who broke Chase Reynold's single season touchdown mark. Nick Ostmo also returns to the backfield, no slouch. The offense is going to move the ball and score points. You add that defense to an offense with an upgraded quarterback and running back.....scary good.

Good post Brint as usual. Agree with everything said. I would hope they park a firetruck on the sideline and shower the crowd and players with cool water. I hope we don't see a bunch of medical issues in the stands, and that the stadium is well staffed and stocked with water.... Last season most of the vendors were closed due to help shortages. This has all the making of being one of the hottest inside WGS.... Be safe everyone and keep tabs on your neighbor too.
GO GRIZ!!!!!!!!!!!

grizaremoregooder said:
The Grizzlies had a game manager last season at quarterback and were snake bit at running back. Lucas Johnson was the starting quarterback at SDSU when they beat Utah ( they damn near won the Rose Bowl) and he started their bowl game victory. He is a 7 year Senior that looks like he should be playing quarterback for Eastern Washington. Marcus Knight was a 2nd team all American a couple years back who broke Chase Reynold's single season touchdown mark. Nick Ostmo also returns to the backfield, no slouch. The offense is going to move the ball and score points. You add that defense to an offense with an upgraded quarterback and running back.....scary good.
We were so banged up going into JMU and then to loose your starting QB and stud Receiver on what the second play was just a dagger.
We certainly have more depth at those positions then last year, BSC just beats the shit out of each other, even the lower teams smack your chops.

grizaremoregooder said:

Plus, as of now, as opposed to JMU, all receivers are healthy. Two of the top receivers were out for JMU. Best punt returner was out too.

I also am tremendously optimistic about this Griz team. I liken this team to the ‘85 Bears. Not saying we would beat the ‘85 Bears I’m just likening them to that team. (So kitty fans don’t get all excited)! The Griz Defense will command a lot of 3 and outs. Also, factor in a lot of turnovers and this offense will just wear down the opposing defenses with punishing runs and a variety of short and long pass plays. Our Defense will allow this Offense a lot of flexibility in their play calling that will totally wear down an opposing defense.
The Future is Bright, my friends I Gotta Wear Shades!

The biggest factors that have me excited for 2022 are:

Lucas Johnson (and even 3-1 Kris Brown looks improved).

Marcus Knight, Nick Ostmo (and Xavier Harris adding muscle).

Aaron Fontes (FBS offered speedster).

And an O-Line that has worked it's tail off to prove all the naysayers wrong.

This is an improved offense. I expect big things out of Montana!

PeauxRouge said:

BUT,

What has changed so drastically on offense, outside of QB play (and a couple RB), from the mess we saw against a team like JMU in the playoffs? Is that enough?

1. QB Play - Johnson brings a running aspect that we didn't have as much last year. Brown (if needed) has dramatically improved too.

2. Running game - Knight & Ostmo are back, Harris has added good muscle and brings better durability. Childs has improved as well. We've got a legit stable that brings a respectable rushing attack - and a pass catching attack too.

3. OL attitude - Yes we have 3 new guys starting on the OL. We also have some legit DOLA dudes in Forbes and Mayginnes. I think this OL *could* be an intimidating group.

4. A more versatile WR corps - Roberts is the technician that does everything perfect. Flowers is a threat all over the field, just get him the ball. Simpson a height mis-match. White can play every position at WR and could be that guy who other teams used against us to beat the slot defender. Bergen / Fontes stepping up and ready to contribute.

5. Cole f'n Grossman.

6. Phen as a consultant I'll just bet adds some new looks to this offense.

PeauxRouge said:
BWahlberg said:
You've been warned.

Go Griz!

BUT,

The mess you saw at JMU was a combo of losing the main deep threat WR, QB play, and a non-scary running game. When Sammy went down, Cam was unable to stretch the field. Safeties creep up, corners play more aggressively, more aggressive blitzing/pressure. This was partially on the WR corps, but also on Cam. He settled on all the underneath stuff without Sammy in. Even when they tried to stretch the field and had receivers open. Then he scrambles more, gets knocked ten ways to Sunday (how in the hell was that hit NOT targeting???), and is out.

Insert frosh QB who had some serious frosh moments (deer in the headlights anyone?) earlier in the season. His frosh-ness came out BIG TIME in the face of heavy pressure with no perceivable outlet and no ability to take the pressure off with a run game.

Insert triple option QB with the same running game that couldn’t help Kris. Can’t run the rock effectively as nobody respects the passing game.

Boom! Game over.

Essentially JMU forced the Griz into being one dimensional in the dimension they were not as good at. The quick strike was gone and the Griz had to grind in a way that they were never really successful at all season, even with Cam and Sammy on the field. If the Griz would have had a more threatening running game, more options would have been available. But they didn’t. The defense held it together pretty damn well all things considered. With a running game, I think at lest one of the JMU scores doesn’t happen. With a closer game, who knows what the outcome might be.

And if my Aunt had balls then she’d be my uncle…

Lots of potential. I am waiting for the first good passing team to isolate and throw over the top on safety coverage. The images of this last year have only begun to fade.

Lots of potential. I am waiting for the first good passing team to isolate and throw over the top on safety coverage. The images of this last year have only begun to fade.

BW, I agree regarding depth and talent.

I'd like to add my biggest concerns, that may happen.

1. Based on the little bit of summer practices I saw, I thought there were a few too many interceptions from the offense. Those from QB and WRs not being on the same page, deflections, and forced passes. I won't be surprised, if this happens some, the 1st half of the season.

2. Speaking of interceptions, we had a lot of luck with guys getting picks from tips, swats, bad routes, etc, basically a high amount of luck. I recall, Welnel and Ford got a few very fortunate interceptions. Basically, can luck and fortune continue? I'm certainly not counting on anyone getting the amount of turnovers that Ford had last year. Our defensive turnover leader might be 1/2 of Ford's #'s last season.

It's going to be difficult for our defense to consistently produce last year's turnover numbers.

Realistically, the defense should rely on short possessions by opponents, with more punts, stops, holds, etc.

With all that said, I'm hoping, we take care of the ball and create turnovers defensively.

BWahlberg said:
PeauxRouge said:

BUT,

1. QB Play - Johnson brings a running aspect that we didn't have as much last year. Brown (if needed) has dramatically improved too.

2. Running game - Knight & Ostmo are back, Harris has added good muscle and brings better durability. Childs has improved as well. We've got a legit stable that brings a respectable rushing attack - and a pass catching attack too.

3. OL attitude - Yes we have 3 new guys starting on the OL. We also have some legit DOLA dudes in Forbes and Mayginnes. I think this OL *could* be an intimidating group.

4. A more versatile WR corps - Roberts is the technician that does everything perfect. Flowers is a threat all over the field, just get him the ball. Simpson a height mis-match. White can play every position at WR and could be that guy who other teams used against us to beat the slot defender. Bergen / Fontes stepping up and ready to contribute.

5. Cole f'n Grossman.

6. Phen as a consultant I'll just bet adds some new looks to this offense.

Yeah, I'll give you the first 3. We had 4 and 5 last year, too. So if we get injured there (or QB) again this year, are we in the same spot we were in last year or are we deep enough to keep rolling? I'm just doing this to throw some water on your smoldering sugar-coating fire.

"First off, special teams. The ST unit is not loaded with dudes and as we've seen frequently enough, outstanding ST play can flip a game (Griz-cat last year)."
Not sure there isn't a missing word in the "not loaded with dudes" part. Can you help an old guy out?

PeauxRouge said:
BWahlberg said:
You've been warned.

Go Griz!

BUT,

We lost our starting QB and our best WR in the first quarter against JMU. That was not representative of what that team was capable of.

Latest posts

Back