• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Trio of Griz into portal

HelenaHandBasket said:
Nothing more important in life than football.

Of course, there are many things more important than football. But, for me, taking some courses or starting some degree, and not playing another year to go for a championship with my friends, would not be one of them.

I would certainly not trade my undefeated championship year/team, the best in my college's modern history and one of the best in modern Ivy history, for many things. "Dartmouth 10, Yale 0 - Bob Blackman’s 1970 Dartmouth Indians: one of the 50 best* of all time."
https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2017/5/9/15582206/1970-dartmouth-football-bob-blackman-yale

I communicated with Chris Snyder recently. He said the 2001 team was planning a reunion this fall in Missoula, and all the boys would be back. A great team, year and bunch of guys. I doubt many of those guys would trade that season and their Griz career for many things.

I always liked the saying that "No one on their death bed ever said they wished they'd worked more." I worked hard in my life, but I also had a lot of fun. Sport has been one of the highlights of my life.

To each his own. Good luck to the Demmings, in whatever they do.

PlayerRep said:
granitegriz said:
I am not sure who questioned whether they were retaining schollies or not, but that was moronic. Bryson was starting at TE and Brayden was rotating in about every other series on DL. Will be missed, but best wishes to them both! ....Edit: Oh, it was PR, never mind!

They can do what they want, but I'd want to stay around for at least another fall to play with my teammates and go for a national championship. A championship team is a chance of a lifetime. There is zero need for any masters degree, in order to go to med school. There are sometimes needs for more science courses. Former Griz Ty Timmer and Vinnie Huntsberger did the WAMMI program at UW, from UM. My nephew from Bozeman/Dartmouth did the WAMMI program. He's now an ortho surgeon in Kirkland WA, after doing a sport ortho fellowship at USC. Ty is in his ortho residency at NDSU. Vinnie an ER doc in Sandpoint.

I see that the TE had 5 catches, and the DE had 1 tackle, in the spring season.

No one "questioned" anything. A question was asked. This is a football message board. I've sometimes thought you were a moron too.
It is football. I am glad their perspective is what it is. Good for them. Life moves on.

PlayerRep said:
Griz til I die said:
I agree with both of you. I think is our best team since the 2011 team, hell maybe even the 2009 team. Throw in the fact that all of the elite teams are playing right now and the possibility of mounting injuries and a gassed football team, and I would say this is our best chance we have had in a long time to make a run at the title.

Every person close to the program that I've talked to, including coaches, has thought this team was national championship caliber. That was before Knight went down. I saw nothing in the two games to dissuade me from agreeing this is a national championship caliber team. I don't see any glaring holes, and I see lots of depth.
Agreed! Even without Knight, I think we’re title contenders.

bigtyme said:
PlayerRep said:
They can do what they want, but I'd want to stay around for at least another fall to play with my teammates and go for a national championship. A championship team is a chance of a lifetime. There is zero need for any masters degree, in order to go to med school. There are sometimes needs for more science courses. Former Griz Ty Timmer and Vinnie Huntsberger did the WAMMI program at UW, from UM. My nephew from Bozeman/Dartmouth did the WAMMI program. He's now an ortho surgeon in Kirkland WA, after doing a sport ortho fellowship at USC. Ty is in his ortho residency at NDSU. Vinnie an ER doc in Sandpoint.

No one "questioned" anything. A question was asked. This is a football message board. I've sometimes thought you were a moron too.
It is football. I am glad their perspective is what it is. Good for them. Life moves on.

It's clear you never played on a championship team and don't know what it means to have accomplished and enjoyed that. That's okay. Most people have never been able to do that.

I wish each of them the best of luck and thank them for what they have done. Football in college is a short term deal. I was surprised about the Demings’ joint announcement leaving the program after playing in the two spring games. Not sure what to think of it. The star running back from Central Washington entered the portal before the Griz game and didn’t play. Tough to lose such good players but that’s the way it goes. On the bright side it opens up scholarships and there are lots of other talented players looking to transfer and UM will be high on the list.

PlayerRep said:
granitegriz said:
I am not sure who questioned whether they were retaining schollies or not, but that was moronic. Bryson was starting at TE and Brayden was rotating in about every other series on DL. Will be missed, but best wishes to them both! ....Edit: Oh, it was PR, never mind!

Isn't asking a question, questioning something? Not that I'm questioning you, or anything! :roll:

MikeyGriz said:
PlayerRep said:

Isn't asking a question, questioning something? Not that I'm questioning you, or anything! :roll:

No. Example. I wonder if Sask is from Canada.

PlayerRep said:
bigtyme said:

It's clear you never played on a championship team and don't know what it means to have accomplished and enjoyed that. That's okay. Most people have never been able to do that.

This team has national title contender potential, and if they achieve to their potential this fall it will be an awesome ride for those guys. One they will always treasure. Having been on that ride like PR I can say it’s all worth it, and real life will still be there waiting for players when football ends. It’s time for the Griz to earn another ring. The Demings have sacrificed so much for the program it would be a bummer to see them miss out on that opportunity, but it is obviously their choice and I wish them all the best and thank them for their time here.

Are they a package deal?
Seems like the parameters for the next school are quite narrow:
Masters degree not offered at UM;
Presumably something in bio/med;
On track for med school and scheduled around FB practice;
Scholly and spot on roster this fall at their positions (x2?); and
Substantial playing time (x2?).

My fear is there is only one school that will fit the bill and be willing to take them both. Meaning, this is really cool until it’s not

I will preface this by saying that I respect the decision they made, for whatever reason they did.

To get into medical school it takes an undergraduate degree and prerequisites...so I had music majors in my class that did the required courses for med school. You do not need a masters or even a science degree to get into med school. You can get a degree from any school and get into a medical school. Now, if they have aspirations for certain high level medical schools back east or whatever, yeah, there would be a bit more to it, but football as an extracurricular activity is something schools also look at. When I interviewed back in the day, we talked about my time playing college sports quite a bit.

Anyway, I agree with PR in that if the team makes a run, it would be an experience like no other and one that they would miss out on. But I also agree with other posters, and the kids themselves, that for whatever reason they think somewhere else is better for them (bozo) then truly good luck in the future

EDIT:
I did not see PR's post about this similarly above.

AZDoc said:
I will preface this by saying that I respect the decision they made, for whatever reason they did.

To get into medical school it takes an undergraduate degree and prerequisites...so I had music majors in my class that did the required courses for med school. You do not need a masters or even a science degree to get into med school. You can get a degree from any school and get into a medical school. Now, if they have aspirations for certain high level medical schools back east or whatever, yeah, there would be a bit more to it, but football as an extracurricular activity is something schools also look at. When I interviewed back in the day, we talked about my time playing college sports quite a bit.

Anyway, I agree with PR in that if the team makes a run, it would be an experience like no other and one that they would miss out on. But I also agree with other posters, and the kids themselves, that for whatever reason they think somewhere else is better for them (bozo) then truly good luck in the future

EDIT:

At least the first two years of WAMMi program are now in Bozeman, as opposed to the prior one. This post was not directed at DOC.

I truly enjoy the banter with PR, and I am not questioning his senility at all.

Lawyer: "Was that the same nose you broke as a child?"

Witness: "I only have one, you know."

granitegriz said:

Not if he broke someone else’s nose.

alabamagrizzly said:
granitegriz said:

Not if he broke someone else’s nose.

Or if he went full Michael Jackson on his nose after that nasty break he suffered as a child.

PlayerRep said:
AZDoc said:

EDIT:

At least the first two years of WAMMi program are now in Bozeman, as opposed to the prior one. This post was not directed at DOC.
What does this mean? Prior one? Can you help me understand? Are you saying guys like Vinnie and Timmer were able to attend the first two years of the WAMMi program at UM back in their day but now it has changed and such students must go to Cow College?

Back