• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Weber State Wildcats Scouting Report

406flyfisher said:
Tight ends and Ostmo/Eastwood. Keys to this game offensively.

How so Eastwood? I like him and want him to do well, but he hasn't been a factor in a game since the Cat game last year (I really liked seeing him score on the long run, but that was garbage time).

dupuyer griz said:
Hearing a lot of bullcat excuses about old people and millennials. You tell grandma to hang some cowbells on them bingo wings and get her ass to the game. The millienials shall be allowed to put their avocado pits in a ciabatta bun to rattle around and make noise. The anti Hauck crowd can blow it out their cathole and buy in or ship out. Roll Griz!
And the excuse I heard for last week are the HS playoff games at Frenchtown, Hamilton and Loyola.

kemajic said:
dupuyer griz said:
Hearing a lot of bullcat excuses about old people and millennials. You tell grandma to hang some cowbells on them bingo wings and get her ass to the game. The millienials shall be allowed to put their avocado pits in a ciabatta bun to rattle around and make noise. The anti Hauck crowd can blow it out their cathole and buy in or ship out. Roll Griz!
And the excuse I heard for last week are the HS playoff games at Frenchtown, Hamilton and Loyola.
Never heard of her. Roll Griz!

406flyfisher said:
How many top-tier programs offer discount tickets? Asking for a friend .

This is funny...how many FCS Teams have empty stadiums, and they can't even give their tickets away?

Griz at the top of FCS attendance for years, and will be there again this season.

406flyfisher said:

the discount tickets are limited to the south end zone. we lead the bsc and fcs in attendance and we will again this year. its about getting fannies in the seats for the biggest game of the year. and its a good idea

NorthEndZoneDan said:
406flyfisher said:

the discount tickets are limited to the south end zone. we lead the bsc and fcs in attendance and we will again this year. its about getting fannies in the seats for the biggest game of the year. and its a good idea
Most of the litterbox's seats will be butt-less after halftime of the biggest game of the cats' year.

RayWill said:
Sundown said:
dupuyer griz said:

+1

Yep, My mother had 1 leg missing below the leg and could hardly walk on her artificial leg but she made it to at least a few Griz games every year the last few years screaming the whole time. She would have been at UNA and Monmouth this year but she passed the week of the UNA game. On her death bed, she made me and my sis promise to go to as many as we could and cheer them on. I made it to three games this year my sis 4. I would love to be there this weekend but have to work SAT morning.

Awesome on your mom. Sounds strong and matter of fact. Probably outright tough, in a good way. Would have liked to have met her. Sorry she’s gone.

RayWill said:
Sundown said:
dupuyer griz said:

+1

Yep, My mother had 1 leg missing below the leg and could hardly walk on her artificial leg but she made it to at least a few Griz games every year the last few years screaming the whole time. She would have been at UNA and Monmouth this year but she passed the week of the UNA game. On her death bed, she made me and my sis promise to go to as many as we could and cheer them on. I made it to three games this year my sis 4. I would love to be there this weekend but have to work SAT morning.
your mom sounds like a great Griz fan!

RayWill said:
Sundown said:
dupuyer griz said:

+1

Sorry to hear about your mom. That was a cool story. Hopefully you get a playoff game or two and can add to your total.

PlayerRep said:
RayWill said:
Sundown said:
dupuyer griz said:

+1

Awesome on your mom. Sounds strong and matter of fact. Probably outright tough, in a good way. Would have liked to have met her. Sorry she’s gone.

To answer your question posed in the Good/Bad/Ugly locked thread, YES, I was in the handicapped section. Came up to Missoula specifically to take my 89 year old father to (what he bluntly referred to as his last) Griz game. They were season ticket holders for about 15 years, but gave them up 2-3 years ago when he started having significant health problems. He’s improved somewhat recently, and this weekend was his 2nd game this year. We were in the first row of the Majestic Plaza...he in his wheel chair and I in the seat next to him. Thoroughly enjoyed himself.

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
RayWill said:
Sundown said:

To answer your question posed in the Good/Bad/Ugly locked thread, YES, I was in the handicapped section. Came up to Missoula specifically to take my 89 year old father to (what he bluntly referred to as his last) Griz game. They were season ticket holders for about 15 years, but gave them up 2-3 years ago when he started having significant health problems. He’s improved somewhat recently, and this weekend was his 2nd game this year. We were in the first row of the Majestic Plaza...he in his wheel chair and I in the seat next to him. Thoroughly enjoyed himself.
That is so right on :thumb:

AZGrizFan said:

You are a good son.

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
RayWill said:
Sundown said:

:clap:

I've been thinking about the attendance question a bunch this last week. I think it's a combination of factors.
Here are my observations:

The anti-Hauck people I've talked to never went to football games in the first place. But, I have a gut feeling that in general there isn't as much "school pride" in Missoula as there used to be. Hopefully that is starting to change.

I'm at that age where my friends have young families. In my conversations with them, they say the ticket prices these days price them out. My friends in Missoula might make one game a year, but my friends in other parts of the state pretty much don't make the trip anymore. They would go more often, or even get season tickets if they were less expensive. Just based on these conversations, I think the ticket prices may be part of the problem.

The smaller student population makes a dent for sure.

I think there is some validity in the aging population argument, at least for empty seats, not sure about tickets sold. I do know some older folks who don't show up when the weather is bad. It's usually a game day decision, therefore the tickets go unused. And, their definition of "bad" weather is becoming less and less "bad."

Finally, and what worries me the most, is that our population in western Montana is growing. Missoula alone is growing by 1,000 - 2,000 people per year. The Flathead is growing even faster. The Bitterroot is growing. All in all, what should be considered our marketplace is growing by thousands of people each year. Meanwhile, our attendance is not growing. Somehow, the University is not connecting with the new residents. When we moved here in 1985, my parents had no connection to the University of Montana, but got season tickets in the new stadium, and have had them ever since. What is different today? I don't know, but Missoula is going to grow by over 20,000 people over the next 20 years, can they be converted to griz fans?

At the end of the day, winning will probably help. It didn't seem to help last week.

druhag said:
At the end of the day, winning will probably help. It didn't seem to help last week.

It will help for sure. Winning solves everything. Obviously not winning one game. Especially against Idaho.

If the Griz get back to where they were 20 years ago you can bet you'll be back to the rowdy sell-out crowds you remember. Seems to me you're on your way. Die hards will always be there. The rest will slowly start coming back as the wins come. Same with every program in the country.

druhag said:
Finally, and what worries me the most, is that our population in western Montana is growing. Missoula alone is growing by 1,000 - 2,000 people per year. The Flathead is growing even faster. The Bitterroot is growing. All in all, what should be considered our marketplace is growing by thousands of people each year. Meanwhile, our attendance is not growing. Somehow, the University is not connecting with the new residents. When we moved here in 1985, my parents had no connection to the University of Montana, but got season tickets in the new stadium, and have had them ever since. What is different today? I don't know, but Missoula is going to grow by over 20,000 people over the next 20 years, can they be converted to griz fans?

Your whole post was great, but this point is key, and here's the rub: The university struggles to connect with POTENTIAL STUDENTS, let alone potential FANS. That has been documented and demonstrated on this site ad nauseum. This basic, fundamental aspect of their business HAS to be solved or it (the university AND game attendance) will both die a slow, painful death.

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
RayWill said:
Sundown said:

Good for you and your dad. My wife would have been sitting just to your left. That handicapped seating area is a terrific spot. I used to see Doug Bettors there on occasion, but have seen him for several years.

AZGrizFan said:
druhag said:

Your whole post was great, but this point is key, and here's the rub: The university struggles to connect with POTENTIAL STUDENTS, let alone potential FANS. That has been documented and demonstrated on this site ad nauseum. This basic, fundamental aspect of their business HAS to be solved or it (the university AND game attendance) will both die a slow, painful death.
This is our biggest challenge in Bozeman right now. They do an amazing job reaching out to potential students. That is not an issue. But people are moving here every year by the thousands. No affiliation with MSU whatsoever. How do we connect to THESE people and make them buy into our program? As I said previously, winning helps. If all of a sudden you're a national contender that brings fans to games who wouldn't otherwise care.

I figure if I have to put up with horrendous driving, long lines everywhere I go, and asinine housing prices, we may as well find a way to get these new rich neighbors in our little stadium on Saturdays.

Good post, Dru. I would add the point in a prior discussion about the lack of deductibility for the premium seats, which went away a couple years ago. I don't know about the connecting with new people thing, but you may be right. I know UM and its fundraisers try to connect with some new potential high end donors. That's not the same as what you're asking about. Fewer students, yes for sure. Aging, probably. Lack of being at or near the top, yes. A decline of attendance under Stitt. Agree with your weather analysis. I see it in my relatives.

Nevertheless, with the success this year, I am surprised ant the stadium not being full and rocking for Idaho, and for the need for extra efforts for Weber. Jeez, Weber is a huge game. And, this will show us what the Griz really have.

Latest posts

Back