• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Weber State Wildcats Scouting Report

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
RayWill said:
Yep, My mother had 1 leg missing below the leg and could hardly walk on her artificial leg but she made it to at least a few Griz games every year the last few years screaming the whole time. She would have been at UNA and Monmouth this year but she passed the week of the UNA game. On her death bed, she made me and my sis promise to go to as many as we could and cheer them on. I made it to three games this year my sis 4. I would love to be there this weekend but have to work SAT morning.

Awesome on your mom. Sounds strong and matter of fact. Probably outright tough, in a good way. Would have liked to have met her. Sorry she’s gone.

To answer your question posed in the Good/Bad/Ugly locked thread, YES, I was in the handicapped section. Came up to Missoula specifically to take my 89 year old father to (what he bluntly referred to as his last) Griz game. They were season ticket holders for about 15 years, but gave them up 2-3 years ago when he started having significant health problems. He’s improved somewhat recently, and this weekend was his 2nd game this year. We were in the first row of the Majestic Plaza...he in his wheel chair and I in the seat next to him. Thoroughly enjoyed himself.

Good for you and your dad. My wife would have been sitting just to your left. That handicapped seating area is a terrific spot. I used to see Doug Bettors there on occasion, but have seen him for several years.

UM did it right up there. Even with the plug-ins so I could bring him an electric blanket and plug in his O2 tank....he was snug as a bug in a rug! Plus, the view from the front row of the Majestic Plaza is unparalleled in the stadium, IMHO.

PlayerRep said:
Good post, Dru. I would add the point in a prior discussion about the lack of deductibility for the premium seats, which went away a couple years ago. I don't know about the connecting with new people thing, but you may be right. I know UM and its fundraisers try to connect with some new potential high end donors. That's not the same as what you're asking about. Fewer students, yes for sure. Aging, probably. Lack of being at or near the top, yes. A decline of attendance under Stitt. Agree with your weather analysis. I see it in my relatives.

Nevertheless, with the success this year, I am surprised ant the stadium not being full and rocking for Idaho, and for the need for extra efforts for Weber. Jeez, Weber is a huge game. And, this will show us what the Griz really have.

Here's a great article talking about recent attendance trends...really astounding the difference between tickets SOLD and tickets SCANNED. But then again, it could be that fans got tired of games against the Savannah States, MVSU's, Valpo, St. Francis, etc. And looking at those two years listed ('16 and '17) there's only two home games that even move the needle for me...EWU in '17 and MSU in '16....

https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/attendance-at-montana-football-games-lowest-it-s-been-since/article_c1efc181-3f05-551c-8ed2-4e0e69f0b57f.html

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
Good post, Dru. I would add the point in a prior discussion about the lack of deductibility for the premium seats, which went away a couple years ago. I don't know about the connecting with new people thing, but you may be right. I know UM and its fundraisers try to connect with some new potential high end donors. That's not the same as what you're asking about. Fewer students, yes for sure. Aging, probably. Lack of being at or near the top, yes. A decline of attendance under Stitt. Agree with your weather analysis. I see it in my relatives.

Nevertheless, with the success this year, I am surprised ant the stadium not being full and rocking for Idaho, and for the need for extra efforts for Weber. Jeez, Weber is a huge game. And, this will show us what the Griz really have.

Here's a great article talking about recent attendance trends...really astounding the difference between tickets SOLD and tickets SCANNED. But then again, it could be that fans got tired of games against the Savannah States, MVSU's, Valpo, St. Francis, etc. And looking at those two years listed ('16 and '17) there's only two home games that even move the needle for me...EWU in '17 and MSU in '16....

https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/attendance-at-montana-football-games-lowest-it-s-been-since/article_c1efc181-3f05-551c-8ed2-4e0e69f0b57f.html

And next season we have Central Washington as our home opener to get excited about

A whole lot of folks were priced out during the last downturn of the economy. As the economy began to improve the prices for tickets went up exponentially and a lot of people simply could no longer afford it. I can remember not too long ago where the only single game ticket even remotely close to $40 was the Griz - Cat game! This year there were at least 3 games where tickets were at that price or above.

In addition the product on the field certainly has not been stellar this past decade. Years ago there was a study done which showed that on average the Missoula area accounted for roughly 50% of game attacker's each week, with the other 50% coming from more than 50 miles away. Those are the folks who stopped making the trips on a regular basis. Given not only the increased cost for tickets but also of travel, and an inferior product, it's no wonder why there has been a decline in ticket sales and overall attendance.

Now, having said all that, and as has been pointed out numerous times, "If you win they will come!" . If we win the Chipper this year, believe me, you will see the good old days in Missoula again next year!

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

And next season we have Central Washington as our home opener to get excited about
:lol: :lol: Probably gonna be more of a game than the NEXT home game, Morehead State. :roll: :roll:

But outside of Sac & MSU at home and EWU on the road...the rest of the schedule..CP? SUU? NAU? Idaho? UNC? :jack: :jack:

AZGrizFan said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

:lol: :lol: Probably gonna be more of a game than the NEXT home game, Morehead State. :roll: :roll:

But outside of Sac & MSU at home and EWU on the road...the rest of the schedule..CP? SUU? NAU? Idaho? UNC? :jack: :jack:

Yeah, next years schedule really blows.

AZGrizFan said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

Sounds like a good opportunity to go undefeated and get a top 2 seed. The playoffs are what really matter, after all. :thumb:

Htowngriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:
AZGrizFan said:

Sounds like a good opportunity to go undefeated and get a top 2 seed. The playoffs are what really matter, after all. :thumb:

Very, very good chance next year is 11-0. :clap: :clap:

Gaeilge1 said:
A whole lot of folks were priced out during the last downturn of the economy. As the economy began to improve the prices for tickets went up exponentially and a lot of people simply could no longer afford it. I can remember not too long ago where the only single game ticket even remotely close to $40 was the Griz - Cat game! This year there were at least 3 games where tickets were at that price or above.

In addition the product on the field certainly has not been stellar this past decade. Years ago there was a study done which showed that on average the Missoula area accounted for roughly 50% of game attacker's each week, with the other 50% coming from more than 50 miles away. Those are the folks who stopped making the trips on a regular basis. Given not only the increased cost for tickets but also of travel, and an inferior product, it's no wonder why there has been a decline in ticket sales and overall attendance.

Now, having said all that, and as has been pointed out numerous times, "If you win they will come!" . If we win the Chipper this year, believe me, you will see the good old days in Missoula again next year!

Season ticket prices have not increased in at least seven years that I know of.

MikeyGriz said:
Gaeilge1 said:

Season ticket prices have not increased in at least seven years that I know of.
And enrollment has been on a decline since the last rise.

I agree that student attendance is contributing to lower attendance overall. It is not entirely at fault but is a factor.

Dutch Lane said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
RayWill said:
Yep, My mother had 1 leg missing below the leg and could hardly walk on her artificial leg but she made it to at least a few Griz games every year the last few years screaming the whole time. She would have been at UNA and Monmouth this year but she passed the week of the UNA game. On her death bed, she made me and my sis promise to go to as many as we could and cheer them on. I made it to three games this year my sis 4. I would love to be there this weekend but have to work SAT morning.

Awesome on your mom. Sounds strong and matter of fact. Probably outright tough, in a good way. Would have liked to have met her. Sorry she’s gone.

To answer your question posed in the Good/Bad/Ugly locked thread, YES, I was in the handicapped section. Came up to Missoula specifically to take my 89 year old father to (what he bluntly referred to as his last) Griz game. They were season ticket holders for about 15 years, but gave them up 2-3 years ago when he started having significant health problems. He’s improved somewhat recently, and this weekend was his 2nd game this year. We were in the first row of the Majestic Plaza...he in his wheel chair and I in the seat next to him. Thoroughly enjoyed himself.
That is so right on :thumb:

Nice stories. Feelings for me of my Dad who passed away last Thanksgiving Day (11/22/18). Season ticket holder for 25+ years and made most games all those years along with my Mom. Mom passed away in December 2015; her final home Griz game was the NDSU win that August. Dad continued his cross state trips often alone for the next three + years. Diehard fan always positive in his support. That Griz/Cat game last year really got him though. Our last night together was commiserating over that one...then off he headed to Billings the next morning....and 4 days later passed away. It's been a little weird for me in the stadium at games this fall. I miss my Dad, one of the best Griz fans I knew.

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

Good for you and your dad. My wife would have been sitting just to your left. That handicapped seating area is a terrific spot. I used to see Doug Bettors there on occasion, but have seen him for several years.

UM did it right up there. Even with the plug-ins so I could bring him an electric blanket and plug in his O2 tank....he was snug as a bug in a rug! Plus, the view from the front row of the Majestic Plaza is unparalleled in the stadium, IMHO.

Did the outstanding usher at that section tell you about those extra's ?

Mousegriz said:
Dutch Lane said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

Nice stories. Feelings for me of my Dad who passed away last Thanksgiving Day (11/22/18). Season ticket holder for 25+ years and made most games all those years along with my Mom. Mom passed away in December 2015; her final home Griz game was the NDSU win that August. Dad continued his cross state trips often alone for the next three + years. Diehard fan always positive in his support. That Griz/Cat game last year really got him though. Our last night together was commiserating over that one...then off he headed to Billings the next morning....and 4 days later passed away. It's been a little weird for me in the stadium at games this fall. I miss my Dad, one of the best Griz fans I knew.
Pretty awesome story though. Hopefully over time that place can be one of reflection and great memories. Cats, Griz, whatever; making memories with family and friends on Saturday afternoons will last forever. Condolences to ya!

fanofzoo said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:

Did the outstanding usher at that section tell you about those extra's ?

Is that person awesome or WHAT?? :thumb: :thumb: :clap: :clap:

was it you? :lol: :lol:

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
AZGrizFan said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:
AZGrizFan said:

Yeah, next years schedule really blows.

Welp nothing's changed. In the Don Read days, good old Minnesota-Duluth and Northern New Mexico and Coppin State and, Southern Utah DII and Cal Poly and Central Washington DII didn't move many people's needle either, lol. Somehow, the program not only survived but flourished with those schools regularly coming to Wash-Griz. Something tells me the Griz will be just fine even with next year's schedule lol.

Mousegriz said:
Dutch Lane said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

Assume your dad was still driving?

I attended a few games with my dad in the 50s. He died on Valentine's day in 1961. He had played a bit for UM, after having played a season at BYU. He took me to see Larry Pretty Weasel play hoops too.

Yukon said:
I don't think low attendance has anything to do with older generation vs. younger. Look at attendance of Penn State, Michigan, Alabama, etc. It has to do with not winning for a decade. They'll come back. Heck look at the NDSU game in 2015 that broke attendance record. Also maybe last years Brawl.

i don't discount the older vs younger generation explanation, and overall loss of interest in the sport due to the concussion issue. i also suspect the teams you mentioned who have continuous sellouts also have much larger fan bases than the griz per # of seats available, even at their much larger stadiums. plus they may have rules that lessen the possibility of people leaving for halftime to drink beer (penn state does). the griz probably also a few fans due to hauck, who is not everyone's cup of tea, especially with the way his last hiring went down. also, the relatively recent engstrom fiasco, followed by missing playoffs and stitt's relatively short tenure, might have soured some on griz football. no time to research all these aspects in depth, but perhaps one or two might be accurate.

SoldierGriz said:
Fewer students = fewer parents attending games.

Some parents of students make the trek as casual fans to see their kids. Simply fewer do so now.

That's my theory...

i think you are probably right. also, i hasn't the buying of guest tickets by students been made more difficult/expensive?

Latest posts

Back