• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2016 Griz Football Recruiting (38)- 20 Verbals/ 8 Transfers/ 10 Walk-Ons & 3 Offers

Paytonlives said:
fo'grizzle said:
Long time lurker...and posting because I haven't seen anything about this offer yet.

Friend forwarded me this link...
https://twitter.com/V_Tino33/status/627710854239096832

Valentino Daltoso, Offensive Lineman, 2016, Boise High School

By the look of his twitter page, looks like he's hit a lot of camps this summer. Big kid, moves well. However, only an honorable mention All-Conference at a school not known for football excellence.

Highlights here: http://www.reelrecruits.com/athletes/football/class-of-2016/valentino-daltoso
Also a basketball player: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yGOL9AvA-8

Looking forward to following him and the other recruits this fall.

Go Griz!

Fo'Grizzle

Nice catch...

NAME: Valentino Daltoso

SPORTS: Football, Basketball

JERSEY #: 77

POSITIONS: OL/DL

TOWN: Boise, ID

HEIGHT: 6’4"

WEIGHT: 275

BENCH PRESS: 250

SQUAT: 340

40-YARD DASH: 5.19

Bench press 25 pounds under body weight? 340 pound squat? If he does come here I'm sure they'll be able to get him stronger, but I'm of the opinion that coming out of high school perhaps he should've been where he should be already. Bench more like 375-405 and squatting at least 500+. When I graduated high school I was a FB squatting 675 and benching 350+ pounds easily. Not a criticism, but more of a observation about either the program he came from, or his work ethic in the gym.

https://twitter.com/utrnorthwest/status/631229280693940224

New offer: Parker Dumas, 6'5", 210 lb WR from Mt. Si HS in Snoqualmie, WA.

XxSpectrexX said:

Bench press 25 pounds under body weight? 340 pound squat? If he does come here I'm sure they'll be able to get him stronger, but I'm of the opinion that coming out of high school perhaps he should've been where he should be already. Bench more like 375-405 and squatting at least 500+. When I graduated high school I was a FB squatting 675 and benching 350+ pounds easily. Not a criticism, but more of a observation about either the program he came from, or his work ethic in the gym.

XSpec: No question he looks light in the weightlifting department. However the number that ought to be of more interest is the 5.2 40 yd dash. That is very good for a kid that size. Plus the fact he's agile enough to actually play basketball at a HS varsity level shows he has the footwork needed for a lineman at D1 level. Adding the strength is one thing and easily done, keeping the speed/agility is quite another. With the trend of smaller and quicker D Linemen at the college level I prefer O Lineman that can move in space. Thinking that is what the Griz staff is thinking too.

fo'grizzle said:
XSpec: No question he looks light in the weightlifting department. However the number that ought to be of more interest is the 5.2 40 yd dash. That is very good for a kid that size. Plus the fact he's agile enough to actually play basketball at a HS varsity level shows he has the footwork needed for a lineman at D1 level. Adding the strength is one thing and easily done, keeping the speed/agility is quite another. With the trend of smaller and quicker D Linemen at the college level I prefer O Lineman that can move in space. Thinking that is what the Griz staff is thinking too.

I prefer O-linemen that are also state champion wrestlers... :thumb: :thumb:

AZGrizFan said:
fo'grizzle said:

I prefer O-linemen that are also state champion wrestlers... :thumb: :thumb:

This times infinity. :!:

DE - Amandre Williams 6'3" 230 (Mount Tahoma HS) Tacoma, WA (3-Star) (UW)

Verbal to UW

http://www.scout.com/college/washington/story/1572099-amandre-williams-verbally-commits-to-huskies

fo'grizzle said:
XxSpectrexX said:

I can see that, forgot the kid was a bballer as well.

XxSpectrexX said:

Here's the local paper's pre-season video link for Boise High School .His Montana offer mentioned toward the end of the clip - if he doesn't make it as a football player it sounds like he'll make it as a boy scout!

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2015/08/11/3934502/video-boise-high-football-preview.html

I will post the Capital High video link if it says or shows anything about the DE that we have interest in (Vering?).

Fo'

fo'grizzle said:
XxSpectrexX said:

Here's the local paper's pre-season video link for Boise High School .His Montana offer mentioned toward the end of the clip - if he doesn't make it as a football player it sounds like he'll make it as a boy scout!

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2015/08/11/3934502/video-boise-high-football-preview.html

I will post the Capital High video link if it says or shows anything about the DE that we have interest in (Vering?).

Fo'

Sounds like a nice kid, not like the coach would bad mouth him publicly, but encouraging. I've known some coaches that say the right thing in public and have done everything to crap all over a good kid when play time and scholarship interest are at risk, but this coach seems genuine about the kid.

Today the Idaho Statesman ran the Capital High pre-season video. Due to open enrollment, Capital is the "football" magnet school for the Boise School district (vs. Boise High of OL offeree V. Daltoso, the "academic" magnet that holds their practices off campus). Recent history shows that Capital wins and reloads. Capital is the HS of QB Makena Simis.

https://youtu.be/qo5TaXNods8t

Video highlights:

- Head coach and video moderator is Todd Simis, Makena's dad
- Idaho State has offered their 6'4" 340 lbs "roadgrader" OT
- Ben Vering, early Griz offer at DE, hurt his knee and is currently rehabbing. Simis sounded like he would be back at some point, but not soon. Wonder if the Griz are standing by that offer?

That's all for today's news from SE Idaho.

Fo'

Joseph Hoyt retweeted Tyrone Lewis Kidd
Lewis Kidd (6-6, 255, C/O 16') received an offer from New Mexico. Also has offers from Montana and South Dakota.

Tyrone Lewis Kidd @Lewis_Kidd90
Blessed to have received my 3rd division 1 offer, and 1st FBS offer from the Univeristy of New Mexico! #GoLobos

grizindabox said:
Joseph Hoyt retweeted Tyrone Lewis Kidd
Lewis Kidd (6-6, 255, C/O 16') received an offer from New Mexico. Also has offers from Montana and South Dakota.

Tyrone Lewis Kidd @Lewis_Kidd90
Blessed to have received my 3rd division 1 offer, and 1st FBS offer from the Univeristy of New Mexico! #GoLobos

Sounds like he's gonna go the FBS route... we need to focus on kids that have actually come up to the school and expressed how much they like it up here and like the program IMO. Lots of these kids are shopping the market and will end up choosing some place with warmer winters and supposed bigger programs. In the end if the kids any good, they'll get multiple offers, but I prefer to have guys here that want to be here from day one because A. they like the feel of the school/town, 2. they care about the program history and 3. the opportunity of having Stitt be their coach. Yeah, we're not the FBS, but we are Montana dammit.

XSpec: I feel you. However I believe it's only going to get tougher for the FCS schools going forward. The cost of attendance stipend goes a long way in evening up the equation of what a middling to low level FBS school (like a UNM) can bring to the party. I think that UM seems at this point to be taking the best routes it can by offering earlier to kids that might be "sleepers" in the recruiting game, being flexible to catch kids that fall out at the end of the process and finally, re-paving that FBS "transfer" lane to bring on those kids that found for whatever reason their FBS program experience wasn't to their liking. The FCS recruiting process will be even less clean as it was historically but the Griz brand, history, staff and community support should still be able to win the day versus the peer group. Let's hope anyways.

'68griz said:
If you don't at least offer, then you have virtually no chance. What's lost by an offer?

I understand what you're saying...BUT, well I guess there is no but in this case, I just know that there are talented kids out there that might be considered 'sleepers' that have genuine interest in the program because of it's success, history and fan support. No Montana is not USC, Oregon, or Bama', but if you think about the amount of supposed 3, 4 and 5 star recruits that add up to diddly squat and never take the field I'd rather identify genuine talent and court the kids that have come out and made their genuine interest known. Yeah we can offer and wait and see what happens... we'll know when LOI's come...or don't.

Back