• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

3 More Years for Choate

catsack said:
poorgriz said:
Ursus1 said:
Which means when Bobby returns the Griz to the top we will get to watch implosion at MSU for multiple years. Can't wait to see them turning on Choke and his staff. Extending at this time (after recruiting is done and before any games played next season with his record) is strange, but locks them in four more seasons of mediocrity. Priceless

Not strange at all. Anyone who is paying attention (and is not biased) can see what is happening at MSU. Choate has been building a championship team and everything is falling into place. Weber will be the top competition for the Cats in 2018... they're going to be damn tough.

Plus, Choate was offfered a higher paying DC position at a big school, so MSU needed to lock him in.
Sub 500 is not a championship team!!

Definitely a pre-season championship team, a title the Cat's have held for at least the last 15 years.

CDAGRIZ said:
Has anyone commented on the fact that Choach somehow got a three-year extension despite the fact that he can't put together a winning season? WTF? He's a losing HC, and not by a little bit. I'm honestly confused. I thought this would be his make or break year, i.e., 8-3 or you're gone. Do they just want to continue having a losing program? Legit question.

giphy.gif

CDAGRIZ said:
Has anyone commented on the fact that Choach somehow got a three-year extension despite the fact that he can't put together a winning season? WTF? He's a losing HC, and not by a little bit. I'm honestly confused. I thought this would be his make or break year, i.e., 8-3 or you're gone. Do they just want to continue having a losing program? Legit question.

For a guy posting on here now for a number of years, that is a dumb post. Choate just completed his second year. What coach have you ever seen that had just two years? He came in to change the culture which he has done. He has also raised the level of the recruits brought in tremendously. The first year they took some big losses. This year they were in every game to the end against a really tough schedule with a young team. If they had the Griz schedule last season they would have been in the playoffs. They did this despite having a very one-dimensional QB that opposing teams knew was going to run the ball. I remember all the posters on here last fall saying how the Griz would kill the Cats last November. That Murray still cannot pass and they would stop his running easily. That it would be a dominant Griz win. The Cats physically dominated that game and you did not stop Murray. Choate did a Like I said, people who follow closely can see what he is building. They see the marked improvement all the way around. A Pac 12 team came after him recently for their defensive coordinator position and he turned it down. Based on how things are progressing, it was a good move by the AD to give him that extension. Yes, expectations are that he will have a very good season this year.

Do you really believe that any team wants to continue having losing seasons? You call that a legit question? Your losing it CDA!

grizcountry420 said:
CDAGRIZ said:

giphy.gif

How about giving more than 20 minutes in the middle of the day when most people are working?

I’m ok with the extension, I would imagine that the details are something more along the lines of 3 one year deals. So I think he’s still along in a prove it year or there will start to be some more complaints.

I hesitate to say Choate is building a championship program right now because I think that’s being overstated and it’s yet to be seen of it has any merit. What can’t be denied is that Choate has absolutely changed the mentality of the program and is building a strong program from the ground up. This team competed hard in every game last year, without competent QB play and was literally a couple of plays away from being a playoff team, Multiple single digit losses could have been wins and 7-4 would have gotten this team to the playoffs with their SOS. I know a lot of teams can say this, so it’s a coulda woulda shoulda thing, but it’s not like they were 5-6 with wins against d2 schools and getting beat by 20 by other BSC schools.
I fully expect this year to be different and be a contender. Win the Big Sky? Probably not, but I don’t think top 4 or 5 with a 7-4 record or better is out of the question.

ranco said:
catsack said:
poorgriz said:
Ursus1 said:
Which means when Bobby returns the Griz to the top we will get to watch implosion at MSU for multiple years. Can't wait to see them turning on Choke and his staff. Extending at this time (after recruiting is done and before any games played next season with his record) is strange, but locks them in four more seasons of mediocrity. Priceless

Not strange at all. Anyone who is paying attention (and is not biased) can see what is happening at MSU. Choate has been building a championship team and everything is falling into place. Weber will be the top competition for the Cats in 2018... they're going to be damn tough.

Plus, Choate was offfered a higher paying DC position at a big school, so MSU needed to lock him in.

Definitely a pre-season championship team, a title the Cat's have held for at least the last 15 years.

I thought we were the pre-season champs this year https://egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79167 and had the Buck all sewn up https://egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79245

Would Coach Choatch have gotten a contract extension if he were the head dude at UM? I'm guessing his team is more "physical" and "tougher" than Coach Ron Ash's team. They probably also have more "fire." Maybe Coach Choatch is even more "intense" and "passionate" and has more "swagger" than Coach Ron Ash.

What do you Cat fans have to say about these factors? Has there been any type of "fire" or "swagger" or "toughness" analysis done by any scientists or engineers at MSU?

PlayerRep said:
poorgriz said:
PlayerRep said:
poorgriz said:
From day one Choate put a premium on recruiting the best players in Montana and owning the state. So far he's done very well in recruiting. Of course neither coach will win all the recruiting battles, and I would guess UM and MSU will be pretty even in terms of who gets the best MT talent for the next few years.

Disagree. UM and Hauck will win the MT battle going forward.

Good luck with that. I'll admit Hauck regularly kicked our asses in recruiting and on the field during his first go round. Different ball game this time around. I think many of you are underestimating Choate. His three recruiting classes have been damn good.

Choate said that Bobcat coaches sold the notion that the last two seasons have marked Montana State's transition back to championship contender. "One of the ideas we sold in this recruiting cycle is that we're no longer in the building phase," he said. "We're in the compete-for-a-championship phase. That resonated with a lot of these young men and their families. The hard work and the heavy lifting have been done. They can come in and either develop into tremendous members of our campus community and our football program, or be the missing piece for us to take the next step."

I haven't underestimated Choate (I regularly compliment him and MSU under him), but you are underestimating Hauck. It's not a "different ball game this time around" with respect to MT recruiting. If anything is different, it's that UM has the Performance Center and new, nice locker rooms (and the academic center for the moms). Hauck has a very strong staff for in-state recruiting. UM isn't going to get every top MT kid, or kids who want engineering, but I still believe UM will win the MT recruiting battle virtually every year now.

MSU is building and trending up, but it's nonsense for anyone to believe that MSU is now in position to compete for a championship yet.

I didn't look at any Cat recruits from MT this year, but who do you think won the MT recruiting battle this year? Be specific.

Well you'll know some of them soon enough. :thumb:

Trying to give an honest assessment here, I would have to give the nod to the griz for who "won" the in state recruiting battle in 2018 on paper. I say this because I believe the griz landed four players that MSU wanted, and I believe MSU landed four players the griz wanted. However, I believe Sulser is the real deal and the clear cut #1 recruit this year so that sways it in UM's favor. Overall class including out of staters I would say MSU won "on paper". We've never had even close to this total number of star rated players. Also, I believe breaking into WA (which we did this year) is going to be huge.

bigsky33 said:
CDAGRIZ said:

For a guy posting on here now for a number of years, that is a dumb post. Choate just completed his second year. What coach have you ever seen that had just two years? He came in to change the culture which he has done. He has also raised the level of the recruits brought in tremendously. The first year they took some big losses. This year they were in every game to the end against a really tough schedule with a young team. If they had the Griz schedule last season they would have been in the playoffs. They did this despite having a very one-dimensional QB that opposing teams knew was going to run the ball. I remember all the posters on here last fall saying how the Griz would kill the Cats last November. That Murray still cannot pass and they would stop his running easily. That it would be a dominant Griz win. The Cats physically dominated that game and you did not stop Murray. Choate did a Like I said, people who follow closely can see what he is building. They see the marked improvement all the way around. A Pac 12 team came after him recently for their defensive coordinator position and he turned it down. Based on how things are progressing, it was a good move by the AD to give him that extension. Yes, expectations are that he will have a very good season this year.

Do you really believe that any team wants to continue having losing seasons? You call that a legit question? Your losing it CDA!

I said I thought this year, which is 2018, which is his THIRD year, would be his make or break year. I'm just surprised that any program, even MSU, would give a coach a three-year extension when said coach has never had a winning season.

Maybe, and bear with me here because it might seem like a zany idea, wait until a coach has a winning season, or simply see how this year shakes out, before inking him through 2021. Wild.

Catsrgrood said:
grizcountry420 said:
CDAGRIZ said:

giphy.gif

How about giving more than 20 minutes in the middle of the day when most people are working?

I’m ok with the extension, I would imagine that the details are something more along the lines of 3 one year deals. So I think he’s still along in a prove it year or there will start to be some more complaints.

I hesitate to say Choate is building a championship program right now because I think that’s being overstated and it’s yet to be seen of it has any merit. What can’t be denied is that Choate has absolutely changed the mentality of the program and is building a strong program from the ground up. This team competed hard in every game last year, without competent QB play and was literally a couple of plays away from being a playoff team, Multiple single digit losses could have been wins and 7-4 would have gotten this team to the playoffs with their SOS. I know a lot of teams can say this, so it’s a coulda woulda shoulda thing, but it’s not like they were 5-6 with wins against d2 schools and getting beat by 20 by other BSC schools.
I fully expect this year to be different and be a contender. Win the Big Sky? Probably not, but I don’t think top 4 or 5 with a 7-4 record or better is out of the question.

I don't disagree. My question was why extend him through 2021 now when he has been unable to prove he can produce a winning team?

MT Head Guy said:
ranco said:
catsack said:
poorgriz said:

I thought we were the pre-season champs this year https://egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79167 and had the Buck all sewn up https://egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79245

Seems like you're a tad confused about who your team is.
You're rather obvious, bro.

CDAGRIZ said:
Maybe, and bear with me here because it might seem like a zany idea, wait until a coach has a winning season, or simply see how this year shakes out, before inking him through 2021.

Winning season? I thought the goal was playing .500 ball.

CDAGRIZ said:
MT Head Guy said:
ranco said:
catsack said:

Zany...bro.

AllWeatherFan said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Maybe, and bear with me here because it might seem like a zany idea, wait until a coach has a winning season, or simply see how this year shakes out, before inking him through 2021.

The goal had to be re-evaluated once the FCS scaled back to 11 games. Somewhere, Ron Ash is sipping a pinot grig knowing that heroes get remembered, but legends never die.

MT Head Guy said:
CDAGRIZ said:
MT Head Guy said:
ranco said:

Zany...bro.

Indeed. :roll:

CDAGRIZ said:
AllWeatherFan said:
CDAGRIZ said:

The goal had to be re-evaluated once the FCS scaled back to 11 games. Somewhere, Ron Ash is sipping a pinot grig knowing that heroes get remembered, but legends never die.

Good point. I imagine Coach Ron Ash considered the possibility of a 5-5-1 season, but Coach Choatch will always go for the win by going for two, because of his "intensity."

Catsrgrood said:
grizcountry420 said:
CDAGRIZ said:

giphy.gif

Everyone keeps saying that the Cats were such a good team..and sooo many of their losses were by one possession.

Ok say the same thing about the Griz...2 of our 4 losses were by one possession. the only bad losses we had all year were to Washington by a million and Weber State by 2 TDs.

By Cats logic the Griz are that close to being 9-2 last year......only difference is we fired our coach...

You guys are so freaking delusional about what you have over there its unreal.

AllWeatherFan said:
CDAGRIZ said:
AllWeatherFan said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Good point. I imagine Coach Ron Ash considered the possibility of a 5-5-1 season, but Coach Choatch will always go for the win by going for two, because of his "intensity."

That, and the fact that ties are counted as wins in the official MSU record books.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
Catsrgrood said:
grizcountry420 said:
CDAGRIZ said:

giphy.gif

Everyone keeps saying that the Cats were such a good team..and sooo many of their losses were by one possession.

Ok say the same thing about the Griz...2 of our 4 losses were by one possession. the only bad losses we had all year were to Washington by a million and Weber State by 2 TDs.

By Cats logic the Griz are that close to being 9-2 last year......only difference is we fired our coach...

Ok

BadlandsGrizFan said:

What they appear to have is an administration that wanted to keep Choach out of the super hot market for FCS HCs with .409 winning percentages by locking him down now.

CDAGRIZ said:
Catsrgrood said:
grizcountry420 said:
CDAGRIZ said:

giphy.gif

I don't disagree. My question was why extend him through 2021 now when he has been unable to prove he can produce a winning team?

Obviously I’m not in on that discussion, but rumor is that at least one FBS school came calling about their D Coordinator position for Choate. I would imagine it had something to do with that and wanting to lock him down to show some confidence in what he’s doing and building and to keep him in place.
If he goes 5-6 again, that seat is red hot and year 4 is make or break, regardless of that extension.

Back