• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

3 More Years for Choate

Catsrgrood said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Catsrgrood said:
grizcountry420 said:
giphy.gif

How about giving more than 20 minutes in the middle of the day when most people are working?

I’m ok with the extension, I would imagine that the details are something more along the lines of 3 one year deals. So I think he’s still along in a prove it year or there will start to be some more complaints.

I hesitate to say Choate is building a championship program right now because I think that’s being overstated and it’s yet to be seen of it has any merit. What can’t be denied is that Choate has absolutely changed the mentality of the program and is building a strong program from the ground up. This team competed hard in every game last year, without competent QB play and was literally a couple of plays away from being a playoff team, Multiple single digit losses could have been wins and 7-4 would have gotten this team to the playoffs with their SOS. I know a lot of teams can say this, so it’s a coulda woulda shoulda thing, but it’s not like they were 5-6 with wins against d2 schools and getting beat by 20 by other BSC schools.
I fully expect this year to be different and be a contender. Win the Big Sky? Probably not, but I don’t think top 4 or 5 with a 7-4 record or better is out of the question.

I don't disagree. My question was why extend him through 2021 now when he has been unable to prove he can produce a winning team?

Obviously I’m not in on that discussion, but rumor is that at least one FBS school came calling about their D Coordinator position for Choate. I would imagine it had something to do with that and wanting to lock him down to show some confidence in what he’s doing and building and to keep him in place.
If he goes 5-6 again, that seat is red hot and year 4 is make or break, regardless of that extension.

So, if he does the only thing he's shown he can do, MSU just bought a buyout?

CDAGRIZ said:
What they appear to have is an administration that wanted to keep Choach out of the super hot market for FCS HCs with .409 winning percentages by locking him down now.

Smart strategy. You gotta hand it to these technical majors at MSU. Better to be on the cusp of winning than to actually be winning, because once you get there, there's no place to go but losing.

Catsrgrood said:
CDAGRIZ said:
I don't disagree. My question was why extend him through 2021 now when he has been unable to prove he can produce a winning team?

Obviously I’m not in on that discussion, but rumor is that at least one FBS school came calling about their D Coordinator position for Choate. I would imagine it had something to do with that and wanting to lock him down to show some confidence in what he’s doing and building and to keep him in place.
If he goes 5-6 again, that seat is red hot and year 4 is make or break, regardless of that extension.

We won't know until it's made public, but it probably isn't a guaranteed 3 years. It can be renegotiated or terminated after each year most likely.

AllWeatherFan said:
CDAGRIZ said:
What they appear to have is an administration that wanted to keep Choach out of the super hot market for FCS HCs with .409 winning percentages by locking him down now.

Smart strategy. You gotta hand it to these technical majors at MSU. Better to be on the cusp of winning than to actually be winning, because once you get there, there's no place to go but losing.

A valid reason to extend a coach is on where you think the coach is taking the program and the AD's evaluation of where the AD thinks the program is going.

Do some of you UM fans really think that Choate hasn't improved the program each year? MSU had a much tougher schedule than UM, came close in many of those games, and beat the Griz. Give the Griz a few of UM's opponents, switching out the 2 easy Griz games, and the Griz record likely looks worse. I don't understand how anyone even halfway objective can't or won't recognize that.

PlayerRep said:
AllWeatherFan said:
CDAGRIZ said:

A valid reason to extend a coach is on where you think the coach is taking the program and the AD's evaluation of where the AD thinks the program is going.

Do some of you UM fans really think that Choate hasn't improved the program each year? MSU had a much tougher schedule than UM, came close in many of those games, and beat the Griz. Give the Griz a few of UM's opponents, switching out the 2 easy Griz games, and the Griz record likely looks worse. I don't understand how anyone even halfway objective can't or won't recognize that.

I see about the same thing as Ash's last year. Before that Ash never had a losing season in Bozeman. Choach might have more fire or whatever, not really sure.

That said, tangible improvement or not, my question was more about the timing of the extension based on past results. KMD, above, gave a pretty good explanation. Maybe it's not really a true three-year deal. Still seems odd.

Question for cat fans. I don't follow your program very close so please be kind.
Ash did a good job won a ton of games but could not make it to the chipper. Last couple seasons for him were down and maybe players had lost faith. So what is this big "change in culture" that coach choate is getting credit for? You had great players during Ashs' years but now choate is upgrading the team? is that not a slap in the face to the players that won you guys those conference championships?
He has swagger the team will be tough, but will they win?? What part of your team have you seen the most improvement in since Choate got there?? Why has he not switched QB's?
What has your team shown other then close losses that make you think they can compete for conference title or make playoffs? Lastly if Choate is 0-2 or 1-1 against Montana does he still get all this credit for being a great coach? Or is it easier knowing that at least one of those 2 losses kept Montana from playoffs so at least both programs were home for Thanksgiving??
These are legit questions not a smart ass griz fan poking fun please answer.
You could be building the next NDSU IDK! Explain why you all seem to think so.

CDAGRIZ said:
Catsrgrood said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Catsrgrood said:
How about giving more than 20 minutes in the middle of the day when most people are working?

I’m ok with the extension, I would imagine that the details are something more along the lines of 3 one year deals. So I think he’s still along in a prove it year or there will start to be some more complaints.

I hesitate to say Choate is building a championship program right now because I think that’s being overstated and it’s yet to be seen of it has any merit. What can’t be denied is that Choate has absolutely changed the mentality of the program and is building a strong program from the ground up. This team competed hard in every game last year, without competent QB play and was literally a couple of plays away from being a playoff team, Multiple single digit losses could have been wins and 7-4 would have gotten this team to the playoffs with their SOS. I know a lot of teams can say this, so it’s a coulda woulda shoulda thing, but it’s not like they were 5-6 with wins against d2 schools and getting beat by 20 by other BSC schools.
I fully expect this year to be different and be a contender. Win the Big Sky? Probably not, but I don’t think top 4 or 5 with a 7-4 record or better is out of the question.

So, if he does the only thing he's shown he can do, MSU just bought a buyout?

I believe he signed 3 one year extensions. There would not be a buyout!

KoolMoeDee said:
Catsrgrood said:
CDAGRIZ said:

We won't know until it's made public, but it probably isn't a guaranteed 3 years. It can be renegotiated or terminated after each year most likely.

Agreed, I mentioned the same thing in an earlier post, I don’t know for sure but I would imagine that this is 3 one year deals, or maybe a 2 yr deal with a 3rd year option. Something along those lines...

Catsrgrood said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
Catsrgrood said:
grizcountry420 said:

Everyone keeps saying that the Cats were such a good team..and sooo many of their losses were by one possession.

Ok say the same thing about the Griz...2 of our 4 losses were by one possession. the only bad losses we had all year were to Washington by a million and Weber State by 2 TDs.

By Cats logic the Griz are that close to being 9-2 last year......only difference is we fired our coach...

You guys are so freaking delusional about what you have over there its unreal.

Ok

Whats wrong about what I said?

The Griz actually had a winning record and missed the playoffs by 1 game...but nobody over here was saying..ya were building a winning program ready to compete for championships...everyone was genuinely pissed off at a coach with a winning record.

I'm having trouble with the "three one-year deals" concept. Why offer or accept the second or third one at present? Was there postdating involved? It seems like a lot of printer toner.

AllWeatherFan said:
Three one-year extensions? That makes no sense. What coach (or potential coach) would sign that deal?

Didn’t Hauck sign 7 individual 1 year deals the first time he was at UM?

I don’t understand what everyone’s hang up is on this right now. Nobody knows the terms of the extension but yet everyone demands answers and when someone speculates on what the terms might be, he gets called out and is told that’s a terrible contract, MSU is so dumb for doing that, etc. It’s all speculation right now...

Catsrgrood said:
AllWeatherFan said:
Three one-year extensions? That makes no sense. What coach (or potential coach) would sign that deal?

Didn’t Hauck sign 7 individual 1 year deals the first time he was at UM?

I don’t understand what everyone’s hang up is on this right now. Nobody knows the terms of the extension but yet everyone demands answers and when someone speculates on what the terms might be, he gets called out and is told that’s a terrible contract, MSU is so dumb for doing that, etc. It’s all speculation right now...

I think the extensions came one after the other, not all at once, but I have to plead ignorance.

As to your second paragraph, I simply think it's odd to extend a coach (for whatever term) before his current contract is up when the coach hasn't had a winning season. I don't really care about the terms, the extension itself is what puzzles me.

Like marrying a woman who has always been ugly because she says she'll be hot soon. Why not date for another year and see what the surgeons can do?

Catsrgrood said:
grizcountry420 said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Has anyone commented on the fact that Choach somehow got a three-year extension despite the fact that he can't put together a winning season? WTF? He's a losing HC, and not by a little bit. I'm honestly confused. I thought this would be his make or break year, i.e., 8-3 or you're gone. Do they just want to continue having a losing program? Legit question.

giphy.gif

:? 7-4 would not of got the bobkittens in. Period. I like the counting of could have been wins... I wonder how the griz would have fared with could have been wins... I shall check and be back.

Looks like the griz had 7 wins and 2 could have wins so they had 9 wins. Also we definitely would of went to the championship.

Bobcat logic.

Note one of the could have wins was against the bobcats and the other was EWU.

jcu27 said:
Catsrgrood said:
grizcountry420 said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Has anyone commented on the fact that Choach somehow got a three-year extension despite the fact that he can't put together a winning season? WTF? He's a losing HC, and not by a little bit. I'm honestly confused. I thought this would be his make or break year, i.e., 8-3 or you're gone. Do they just want to continue having a losing program? Legit question.

giphy.gif

:? 7-4 would not of got the bobkittens in. Period. I like the counting of could have been wins... I wonder how the griz would have fared with could have been wins... I shall check and be back.

Agree to disagree. It’s a moot point obviously, but pick any 2 of the Cats losses and turn them into wins and tell me their resume last year doesn’t put them into the playoffs.

And yes, pick any one of the griz losses and turn it into a win and they’re in the playoffs too.

8-3 with a weaker SOS would have had the griz in the playoffs and 7-4 with a stronger SOS would have most likely had the Cats in the playoffs. Not sure too many people would argue that.

jcu27 said:
Looks like the griz had 7 wins and 2 could have wins so they had 9 wins. Also we definitely would of went to the championship.

Bobcat logic.

Note one of the could have wins was against the bobcats and the other was EWU.

Never said the cats had 7 wins. I already stated in a previous post this is a coulda shoulda woulda thing so it’s kind of a moot point. Nice try though .

BadlandsGrizFan said:
Catsrgrood said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
Catsrgrood said:

Everyone keeps saying that the Cats were such a good team..and sooo many of their losses were by one possession.

Ok say the same thing about the Griz...2 of our 4 losses were by one possession. the only bad losses we had all year were to Washington by a million and Weber State by 2 TDs.

By Cats logic the Griz are that close to being 9-2 last year......only difference is we fired our coach...

You guys are so freaking delusional about what you have over there its unreal.

Ok

Whats wrong about what I said?

The Griz actually had a winning record and missed the playoffs by 1 game...but nobody over here was saying..ya were building a winning program ready to compete for championships...everyone was genuinely pissed off at a coach with a winning record.

Did many people on here feel that Stitt was taking the program in the right direction? I don’t think many people here felt that Stitt was building a championship level program. In my opinion, Stitt was similar to Ash, you just got rid of him sooner than we did. Ash was always good for a winning record and a few conference championships but they had plateaued and were never going to make a legit run at the National Championship. Although, I was a little surprised that Stitt was let go this year, I was expecting one more year as a make or break year.

Just like Cat fans are happy-ish with the 2 wins over the griz, how would griz fans have felt about Stitt if he had been 3-0 against the Cats but had the same overall record? I’m sure there wouldn’t have been nearly as many people calling for his head.

Not saying that Cat/Griz is the only thing that matters, but don’t underestimate it. I would be willing to bet that Choate wouldn’t have received an extension at this time if he was 0-2 against the Griz with the same overall record as he has.

CDAGRIZ said:
PlayerRep said:
AllWeatherFan said:
CDAGRIZ said:

I see about the same thing as Ash's last year. Before that Ash never had a losing season in Bozeman. Choach might have more fire or whatever, not really sure.

That said, tangible improvement or not, my question was more about the timing of the extension based on past results. KMD, above, gave a pretty good explanation. Maybe it's not really a true three-year deal. Still seems odd.
This begs the question, does Coachote actually even know what the content of the new contract he signed? Given the revelation from last year’s, “Welcome Kats” letter to new recruits, the man is functionally illiterate. Does he think he’s locked in for 3 years?

Catsrgrood said:
jcu27 said:
Catsrgrood said:
grizcountry420 said:

Agree to disagree. It’s a moot point obviously, but pick any 2 of the Cats losses and turn them into wins and tell me their resume last year doesn’t put them into the playoffs.

And yes, pick any one of the griz losses and turn it into a win and they’re in the playoffs too.

8-3 with a weaker SOS would have had the griz in the playoffs and 7-4 with a stronger SOS would have most likely had the Cats in the playoffs. Not sure too many people would argue that.

You guys could have beet SDSU AND K STATE and still would not make it!! No way the big sky gets four teams in we are not that strong of conference!! The only way the cats get in at 7-4 is Lito bid!!!

Back