• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

A Different look at the 2017 Schedule

SACCAT66 said:
AZGrizFan said:
Schedule easiest to hardest
(H) Savannah State Sept 16th (3-7)
(H) Valpo Sept 2nd (4-7)
(A) ISU Oct 7th (2-9)
(H) N.Colorado Nov 11th (3-8)
(A) PSU Sept 30th (3-8)
(A) Weber Oct 30th (7-5)
(A) MSU Nov 18th (4-7)
(H) NAU Nov 4th (5-6)
(H) North Dakota Oct 14th (9-3)
(H) EWU Sept 23rd (12-2)
(A) Washington Sept 9th (12-2 FBS)

Not a ton of differences, but I'd put it this way. Probably giving msu too much credit.

I don't think this is possible...

Oh Gawd is the the preseason national championship delusions starting in kittyville already

RayWill said:
SACCAT66 said:
AZGrizFan said:
(H) Valpo Sept 2nd (4-7)
(A) ISU Oct 7th (2-9)
(A) PSU Sept 30th (3-8)
(A) Weber Oct 30th (7-5)
(A) MSU Nov 18th (4-7)
(H) NAU Nov 4th (5-6)
(H) EWU Sept 23rd (12-2)

Not a ton of differences, but I'd put it this way. Probably giving msu too much credit.

I don't think this is possible...

Oh Gawd is the the preseason national championship delusions starting in kittyville already

I am confused why you would say "Already"...We started thinking it on Nov. 19th, and it got louder when we signed the greatest class in the history of writing things down on stuff, so we could read it later...

(H) Valpo Sept 2nd (4-7)
(A) ISU Oct 7th (2-9)
(A) MSU Nov 18th (4-7)
(A) PSU Sept 30th (3-8)
(H) EWU Sept 23rd (12-2)
(A) Weber Oct 30th (7-5)
(H) NAU Nov 4th (5-6)

Here's how I see it, but it doesn't really matter how you stack it. We're stuck in a rut. Since 2009 our records are as follows....

2010 -- 7-4
2011 -- 11-3 or 6-3
2012 -- 5-6
2013 -- 10-3
2014 -- 9-5
2015 -- 8-5
2016 -- 6-5

I don't see any signs that we're about to take a big step forward or back. Our average record is 8-4/7-4 and when I look at the schedule that's what I see again. There are two virtual locks (99%), two games we should win (75%), five games that are 50-50 and one we'll probably lose (25%) and one that we'll almost certainly lose (99%).

That puts us at 4-2 going into the 50-50 games. We go 3-2 there and we're 7-4. We've had three season better than 7-4 and three worse than 7-4 and one 7-4.

Yep. Another way to look at it is that you lost 5 games in 2014, you lost 5 games in 2015, you lost 5 games last year, you'll probably lose 5 games in 2017. Best case is 7-4. No way in hell you go 9-2 but keep dreaming.

poorgriz said:
Yep. Another way to look at it is that you lost 5 games in 2014, you lost 5 games in 2015, you lost 5 games last year, you'll probably lose 5 games in 2017. Best case is 7-4. No way in hell you go 9-2 but keep dreaming.
Haha based on that logic I think it'll be more of the same for the cats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

poorgriz said:

Yeah, because there's absolutely no difference between 9-5 and 6-5. :roll:

AZGrizFan said:
poorgriz said:

Of course there is. I wasn't even talking smack - just trying to help you guys out with some realism. Do you not think it's a reasonable prediction to say you'll lose 5 games next year? I have both um and MSU ending up around 6-5.

poorgriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
poorgriz said:

Of course there is. I wasn't even talking smack - just trying to help you guys out with some realism. Do you not think it's a reasonable prediction to say you'll lose 5 games next year? I have both um and MSU ending up around 6-5.
I think having our toughest games at home will put us around 7-4 and just maaaaybe 8-3. I think a QB will emerge, Stitt and Selle have proven that they can develop a QB in the system. Hopefully a better o-line, maybe a wash. Better skill players.

Defense may be a rodeo. 6-5 or 7-4 seems about right for msu.

grizfan95 said:
AZGrizFan said:
You just described my biggest complaint in the UNC game. I watched UNC send 4 guys all day and get to and fluster Brady repeatedly, allowing them to cover with 7 and causing Brady to have to check down and NEVER look downfield. Meanwhile we'd send 5-7 and never seem to get there in time.
Did Brady play against UNC last year?
No, someone is very confused.

brewskis said:
I think Stitt and the assistants have a GREAT handle on the offense, I think that will sort itself out.
Seriously? You missed the EWU, MSU, UNC and UNI games? We scored over half of our touchdown in 3 cupcake games; pretty helpless against real competition. Serious questions remain on offense.

brewskis said:
Stitt and Selle have proven that they can develop a QB in the system.
Really, when? And don't cite BG stats against the cupcakes. When have they developed a gamer that can be counted on to sustain drives against better teams or respond successfully to pressure?

AZGrizFan said:
poorgriz said:
The valid point is that we're losing 5 games a year without having a Washington on the schedule.

kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:
poorgriz said:
The valid point is that we're losing 5 games a year without having a Washington on the schedule.
Which games do you think we're gonna lose this year? Cause I can seriously see us going 10-1

kemajic said:
brewskis said:
Stitt and Selle have proven that they can develop a QB in the system.
Really, when? And don't cite BG stats against the cupcakes. When have they developed a gamer that can be counted on to sustain drives against better teams or respond successfully to pressure?
Basing it off of BG picking the offense up in the first year. Sure his head wasn't right the second. Then Chalich's progress from year 1 to 2. Sure we haven't had any superstars, but that's gonna take time and recruiting.

The offensive line has been average to below average the last two years, but nobody is criticizing Germer for his ability to develop an offensive line. We're waiting for the young guys to get into the ranks. Same thing is applying to Selle and Stitt with QBs. What they did with BG and Chad is more impressive to me than what Germer did with the line.

Griz til I die said:
kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:
poorgriz said:
Which games do you think we're gonna lose this year? Cause I can seriously see us going 10-1
You probably saw that last year, too. When we had a returning starting QB and no Washington on the schedule. We lost 5 again.

kemajic said:
brewskis said:
I think Stitt and the assistants have a GREAT handle on the offense, I think that will sort itself out.
Seriously? You missed the EWU, MSU, UNC and UNI games? We scored over half of our touchdown in 3 cupcake games; pretty helpless against real competition. Serious questions remain on offense.

But do you see it more of a coaching issue or a personnel issue or somewhere in the middle?

2016's offense was a conundrum of QB's, inconsistent O-line play, lack of a running game & inflexible strategy/tactics. We likely weren't as talented as some of our foes and Stitt & Co. were out coached @ times. But the field looked great. Did I miss anything? :lol:

HelenaHandBasket said:
kemajic said:
brewskis said:

But do you see it more of a coaching issue or a personnel issue or somewhere in the middle?
Or both, with more on the former. The personnel are recruited, developed and deployed by the coaching. The team regressed as the season progressed. Well coached teams (particularly of young players) progress as they gain experience game by game. We have not seen that regression in Montana teams in the past. It is hard to find what we have to build momentum on for the next season the way we finished.

bgbigdog said:
2016's offense was a conundrum of QB's, inconsistent O-line play, lack of a running game & inflexible strategy/tactics. We likely weren't as talented as some of our foes and Stitt & Co. were out coached @ times. But the field looked great. Did I miss anything? :lol:
You nailed it; the field was great.

Back