• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Before you go off the deep end about the offense...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BWahlberg

DONOR
A little something to consider here, look at the pre-fall roster of expected starters on offense:

Z: Henderson / Walcott
X: Jones / Haynes
Y: Naccarato / Burke or Berland

LT: Poole
G: Weyer
C: Hines
G: Hines
RT: Schmaing

QB: Johnson

TE: Saylor / Ralston

RB: Canada / Van / Counts

FB: Wilson

------------

Of those projected contributors before camp even started we lost 5 players from this list. Counts to a season-ending foot surgery, Schmaing to grades, Poole to a back issue, Walcott to an ankle surgery, and Haynes to a foot injury.

That puts the team down two tackles, their power-back, and their two primary backup Z and X WRs.

Then during fall camp both backup tackles lose their job (LaRowe and Kelly) and Naccarato gets hurt - which eventually leads to his season ending.

Now enter the first five games of the year. Thiebes, the projected starter at LT, has had continual injury issues. Nguyen who steps up as the primary returner and an alternate back is now out indefinitely. Ralston is day to day. Weyer has missed two games (but is back now). Hendu is still going through his recovery and has been up and down and didn't even suit up last week.

From the list above 8 of 19 are either out for the season, out indefinitely, or day-to-day.

Yeah some people are "bored" but consider these guys are working with all they've got and are being forced to make continual adjustments based on who they have that is still healthy. Lets cut a bit of slack here - there's been some ongoing issues that are outside of the coaches control.

That said, it should also be pointed out some of the positive things that have come up too:

1. The emergence of Ryan Burke and Josh Jannssen as WRs.

2. The use of Van as a WR and his effectiveness in the open field.

3. Improving play and a bright future for young O-linemen, Thiebes, Reese, Dietrich, Todd, and Luke.

4. Flashes of a bright future at RB with Logwood and Favors

But the coaching staff has a crystal ball in Mick's offense and knew well in advance about all these injuries and depth issues and therefore should have had 207 players on the roster instead of the 103 and the depth chart should have been called an 8-deep instead of a 2-deep. Justin Green didn't go out and get the Griz nearly enough guys and therefore should be fired immediately.

Come on Brint

havgrizfan said:
But the coaching staff has a crystal ball in Mick's offense and knew well in advance about all these injuries and depth issues and therefore should have had 207 players on the roster instead of the 103 and the depth chart should have been called an 8-deep instead of a 2-deep. Justin Green didn't go out and get the Griz nearly enough guys and therefore should be fired immediately.

Come on Brint

Comedian? Hardy. Don't quit your day job. Every team has injuries. That Cats have lost more starters than we have. They have lost 4 defensive starters according to their board, and 3 offensive starters. They just lost their best WR for the season. Injuries happen every year.

I do understand this offense is missing some talent due to awful injuries. Of course there will be some struggles with play execution. However, that is not a reason or excuse for vanilla play calling the majority of time There is not a legitimate reason why the offensive coaches cannot mix up the play calling more, like they did the 1st half against UNC. Hell, the injuries may even be more reason to emphasize better play calling and to get our depth more experience than just handing off and killing the clock.

Brint isn't making excuses. He's pointing out guys who can't play anymore, and IMHO, based on what transpired in spring and fall camp, and what JJ has said, Naccarrato is basically a loss that can't be covered for. Just like Jordan Harper quitting was. I would bet the farm (if i owned one) that if those two guys had played every down for the Griz this season, the offensive output would look a lot different. The o-line has been discussed to death, no reason to continue to do that.

Bottom line is, some people think the Griz should be able to not have a drop-off with injuries to key players, some people think its valid that there would be a drop-off after losing those guys.

monte is a character said:
havgrizfan said:

Come on Brint

Comedian? Hardy. Don't quit your day job. Every team has injuries. That Cats have lost more starters than we have. They have lost 4 defensive starters according to their board, and 3 offensive starters. They just lost their best WR for the season. Injuries happen every year.

You're still trying to convince us you're a GRIZ fan and not a cat troll, huh?

And GREAT posts Brint and Hav.

BWahlberg said:
A little something to consider here, look at the pre-fall roster of expected starters on offense:

Z: Henderson / Walcott
X: Jones / Haynes
Y: Naccarato / Burke or Berland

LT: Poole
G: Weyer
C: Hines
G: Hines
RT: Schmaing

QB: Johnson

TE: Saylor / Ralston

RB: Canada / Van / Counts

FB: Wilson

------------

Of those projected contributors before camp even started we lost 5 players from this list. Counts to a season-ending foot surgery, Schmaing to grades, Poole to a back issue, Walcott to an ankle surgery, and Haynes to a foot injury.

That puts the team down two tackles, their power-back, and their two primary backup Z and X WRs.

Then during fall camp both backup tackles lose their job (LaRowe and Kelly) and Naccarato gets hurt - which eventually leads to his season ending.

Now enter the first five games of the year. Thiebes, the projected starter at LT, has had continual injury issues. Nguyen who steps up as the primary returner and an alternate back is now out indefinitely. Ralston is day to day. Weyer has missed two games (but is back now). Hendu is still going through his recovery and has been up and down and didn't even suit up last week.

From the list above 8 of 19 are either out for the season, out indefinitely, or day-to-day.

Yeah some people are "bored" but consider these guys are working with all they've got and are being forced to make continual adjustments based on who they have that is still healthy. Lets cut a bit of slack here - there's been some ongoing issues that are outside of the coaches control.

Oh, and a big by the way, Henderson hasn't been close to his normal self due to stomach issues!

A hint of garlic Dills was in the az oops I meant old Growls a lot.

I new Brint could cheer me up with some good old stats and common sense. Damn shame but I now will have that drink one of my wives is making for me. Pass out one happy Griz football fan.

Life is Good!

Guess Steve isn't done posting, even though he put this up on MB:

http://maroonblood.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1471" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please consider this my final post.

For years I’ve stood against these “experts” such as Brinty, Playarape, and others – but today I came to a realization. I was having coffee with a former player and he would not stop talking about one poster who was always wrong, said stupid things, was off-base, and clearly was the most simple-minded dolt on the board. I expected him to quickly call out many of the usual pinheads on here.

Instead my world was rocked. He mentioned “growler” as the biggest idiot poster he’s ever seen. At first I thought that clearly he’s been hit in the head too often. I run circles around almost all of you morons. As we kept talking he mentioned how growler (me) would always cite made-up info and bad opinions. How he would threaten people that disagreed with him. Straight to my face he told me that growler is the kind of griz fan scum who ruin the message boards. He looked me in the eye and admitted that he knew I was growler. The pencil-dick then left me with the tab, said I could shove it up my arse and walked out leaving me to think about the error of my ways.

I’m done with this. I’m changing teams to cheer for and I’m off this board. Alpha I’m sorry that I let it get this far but now I’m wide awake to the world around me. I will continue to stand for excellence and I wont let thin-skinned, sugar coating little wimps get in my way, but I need to find another team to help do that. If anyone knows of a mascot position I could apply for please send me an email. I am good at being a gorilla that ends up knuckle deep in my own ass and making sugar cookies.

Cordially yours,

Steve D
Anthem, AZ / Missoula, MT and several dozen other IP Addresses and screen names.

BWahlberg said:
Guess Steve isn't done posting, even though he put this up on MB:

http://maroonblood.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1471" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please consider this my final post.

For years I’ve stood against these “experts” such as Brinty, Playarape, and others – but today I came to a realization. I was having coffee with a former player and he would not stop talking about one poster who was always wrong, said stupid things, was off-base, and clearly was the most simple-minded dolt on the board. I expected him to quickly call out many of the usual pinheads on here.

Instead my world was rocked. He mentioned “growler” as the biggest idiot poster he’s ever seen. At first I thought that clearly he’s been hit in the head too often. I run circles around almost all of you morons. As we kept talking he mentioned how growler (me) would always cite made-up info and bad opinions. How he would threaten people that disagreed with him. Straight to my face he told me that growler is the kind of griz fan scum who ruin the message boards. He looked me in the eye and admitted that he knew I was growler. The pencil-dick then left me with the tab, said I could shove it up my arse and walked out leaving me to think about the error of my ways.

I’m done with this. I’m changing teams to cheer for and I’m off this board. Alpha I’m sorry that I let it get this far but now I’m wide awake to the world around me. I will continue to stand for excellence and I wont let thin-skinned, sugar coating little wimps get in my way, but I need to find another team to help do that. If anyone knows of a mascot position I could apply for please send me an email. I am good at being a gorilla that ends up knuckle deep in my own ass and making sugar cookies.

Cordially yours,

Steve D
Anthem, AZ / Missoula, MT and several dozen other IP Addresses and screen names.

Saw the post and thought the same thing. Only things missing this week are the move up and uniforms threads.

havgrizfan said:

Come on Brint

I don't look at the Cat board, but knowing that this poster constantly makes up stuff and gets stuff wrong, I assume the Cat information is not accurate. Any Cat posters wish to weigh in.

The offense is becoming JJ and his ragtag band (of next guys up). And some people have complained about JJ's play.

PlayerRep said:
havgrizfan said:

Come on Brint

I don't look at the Cat board, but knowing that this poster constantly makes up stuff and gets stuff wrong, I assume the Cat information is not accurate. Any Cat posters wish to weigh in.

Flotkoetter is done for the year. Not sure about the rest.

go96griz said:
Oh, and a big by the way, Henderson hasn't been close to his normal self due to stomach issues!
That problem has been known since spring, not something that is a recent surprise.

kemajic said:
go96griz said:
That problem has been known since spring, not something that is a recent surprise.

"The problem" has been known for a while but "the diagnosis" wasn't finally made until shortly before fall camp.

Thanks for putting it in perspective BW.
This injury thing is starting to remind me of the 2002 season. We had an awesome team that year, but players were getting injured every week to the point we were finally down 12 or 13 starters by the time we entered the brawl. Early in the year we were hammering teams except for a close win vs Jared Allen lead 8-3 ISU team. The mass injuries are the only way we lose to an average 7-6 cat team in 2002.
I hope this injury trend turns around or it may be Deja Vu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back