• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Dalton Daum: Should he play right away?

brewskis said:
kemajic said:
Let's put it this way. UM had stats near the bottom of all FCS for KO returns. What do you think?
Tell Nguyen to take a seat and get EH back out there.
It's a long season and I think EH needs some protection. I'd prefer to see him at 100% at WR. Daum has shown he is a special KO returner and there is not so much to learn about the system there.

I think it will all come down to fall camp and how fast he picks up the offense. Also, remember in Arie's offense they ran a lot of no huddle fast paced offense that relied on hand signals and audibles. Im sure the terminology will probably be different but he does have the advantage of being used to no huddle and lining up quickly.

Yes he will play this year. If anyone has talked woth stitt about special teams he views it similar to his 4th down. Why would you not use it to your advantage. He has no problem putting EH or DD back there. Also when teams dreaded lining up on special teams because we had threats on special teams everytime who could execute a fake. Yea i have a good feeling that is coming back. Ironic that griz fans complained about being conservative and worrying about field posistion too much. Well we may just have the exact opposite this year. We are going to be such a different team this year. Win or lose we are going to be fun to watch. Also maybe that will encourage our students to be excited about football again

Daum is a special returner. Knows how to allow his blocks to develop and then explode through the hole. Nobody will catch him once he has an open field. I remember his very first return as a varsity player, as a sophomore. In Naranche, against CMR, first game of the season, opening kickoff. Daum bobbled the kickoff at the goal line, picked it up, juked the first couple of defenders, got to the sideline and outran everybody to the endzone. I didn't know who he was, but thought "holy shit that kid is fast"!

CV Griz Fan said:
grizatwork said:
If he can beat people out to play now he should play. If he can't he should red-shirt. Don't know what is so hard about this.

Someone posting with a common sense answer. How refreshing....

That's one way to look at it...the other is whether the improved impact you get from him over the guy he beat out versus his potential impact as a 5th year senior is "worth it." Doesn't seem as black and white as you make it out to be. Depends on what the athlete, coach, think is the best option. If the guy is beating out starters than to me that makes the decision much more clearcut.

Alaska Griz said:
That's one way to look at it...the other is whether the improved impact you get from him over the guy he beat out versus his potential impact as a 5th year senior is "worth it." Doesn't seem as black and white as you make it out to be. Depends on what the athlete, coach, think is the best option. If the guy is beating out starters than to me that makes the decision much more clearcut.

Im sure hes not going to beat out any starters. It will be because Stitt is concerned about depth, and also because of Daltons prowess as a returner.

As a coach, five years is a long time and many things can change. If you have a kid that can help you win now, you play them. Wins now are better than possible wins 5 years down the road.

grizindabox said:
As a coach, five years is a long time and many things can change. If you have a kid that can help you win now, you play them. Wins now are better than possible wins 5 years down the road.
:thumb:

Yukon said:
grizindabox said:
:thumb:

Like I said, it depends on how much said person can help. The more minimal the contribution, the more the redshirt seems of value because a fifth year player is almost always better than a first year player and foresight can come in handy down the road. Obviously coaches go different ways with this, more or less, so again, I think each situation is different. For the record, I could care less what happens...I just don't think it's always as simple a decision as some make it out to be. If in it for the long haul most coaches would want a team make-up that is as physically mature as possible. When discussing an individual athlete, the point might be moot, but as an over-arching philosophy, there might be more value in a redshirt policy.

Alaska, but using a 5 year plan, a coach also has 4 more recruiting classes. A 5th year Sr down the road may not be better than a 4th yr Jr, a kid could get hurt, etc. etc. Just way too many unknowns banking on a player 5 years down the road, especially when he could help you now. In theory it makes sense to redshirt every incoming freshman, but in reality not so much.

grizindabox said:
Alaska, but using a 5 year plan, a coach also has 4 more recruiting classes. A 5th year Sr down the road may not be better than a 4th yr Jr, a kid could get hurt, etc. etc. Just way too many unknowns banking on a player 5 years down the road, especially when he could help you now. In theory it makes sense to redshirt every incoming freshman, but in reality not so much.

Yeah...I'm not totally sure where I stand on the whole thing. Somewhere in the middle, cause I think of the two extremes where a coach might recruit his deficiencies every year in hopes that freshmen will fill the void, or an over-reliance on JC players. On the other extreme, if a coach automatically redshirts everyone, they are forced to stay more balanced and forward thinking in their recruiting as a whole.

Stitt will put his best on the field. Came here to win, not to wonder what administrative procedure makes him look like he knows what he's doing.

BWahlberg said:
Dalton Daum should start right away.

At Quarterback.

And D-tackle

And OC

Geez do I have to suggest everything around here?

Forgot kicker.

:coffee:

If he's better than the upper-class men he should not be red shirted. I'm sure he's mature enough. I mean, look at Jameis Winston...I mean DeAndre Johnson...

Alaska Griz said:
grizindabox said:

Yeah...I'm not totally sure where I stand on the whole thing. Somewhere in the middle, cause I think of the two extremes where a coach might recruit his deficiencies every year in hopes that freshmen will fill the void, or an over-reliance on JC players. On the other extreme, if a coach automatically redshirts everyone, they are forced to stay more balanced and forward thinking in their recruiting as a whole.

It almost has to be a year-by-year position-by-position decision depending on how many horses you have, being able to redshirt kids because you're deep at that position and you want him in the weight room is a good situation, having to throw a freshman in the mix that you'd really rather not probably won't turn out that great for that year, and will take potentially a better one away at the end. There's no right answer, I think every coach probably has a number of redshirts in his head he's comfortable with and plans accordingly.

kemajic said:
brewskis said:
kemajic said:
Let's put it this way. UM had stats near the bottom of all FCS for KO returns. What do you think?
Tell Nguyen to take a seat and get EH back out there.
It's a long season and I think EH needs some protection. I'd prefer to see him at 100% at WR. Daum has shown he is a special KO returner and there is not so much to learn about the system there.
Yeah I agree on giving Ellis some rest, especially from returns since the hits are more taxing. Still, if we could redshirt Daum and make do with someone like Naccarato or Jamaal returning I think we would be ok.

if dd is clearly in the top rotation of 8 receivers, stitt will play him,,,,it will also help with recruiting a bubble fbs athlete in the future.....the best play, period....I don't know any college coach that would feel differently.
the future is NOW for all these coaches...

krammer said:
if dd is clearly in the top rotation of 8 receivers, stitt will play him,,,,it will also help with recruiting a bubble fbs athlete in the future.....the best play, period....I don't know any college coach that would feel differently.
the future is NOW for all these coaches...

Huh, I thought growler was the only egrizzer who knows coaches. :thumb: :lol:

Latest posts

Back