• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Dalton Daum: Should he play right away?

19 receivers on the roster - 9 are listed as Fr. Zach Hollenback included in the 9, but I thought he took part in spring ball. At least 8 will play in any given game, so 10 are probably needed to account for injuries. Jones, Henderson, Naccarato, Burke, Janssen, and maybe Lucas will be in the rotation for sure. If not Daum, I think a couple of other frosh WR will not redshirt.

Griziron said:
19 receivers on the roster - 9 are listed as Fr. Zach Hollenback included in the 9, but I thought he took part in spring ball. At least 8 will play in any given game, so 10 are probably needed to account for injuries. Jones, Henderson, Naccarato, Burke, Janssen, and maybe Lucas will be in the rotation for sure. If not Daum, I think a couple of other frosh WR will not redshirt.

I think Reese Carlson will be in that group as well. I believe he was the scout team offensive MVP his freshmen year and has showed really good promise.

Hammer said:
Alaska Griz said:
That's one way to look at it...the other is whether the improved impact you get from him over the guy he beat out versus his potential impact as a 5th year senior is "worth it." Doesn't seem as black and white as you make it out to be. Depends on what the athlete, coach, think is the best option. If the guy is beating out starters than to me that makes the decision much more clearcut.

Im sure hes not going to beat out any starters. It will be because Stitt is concerned about depth, and also because of Daltons prowess as a returner.
I think he could beat out Naccarato.

I see a few names on that list that he could beat out. But even if he doesn't start, should he play right away if he's good enough to get significant minutes and contribute? I say yes, partially because I wonder about the health of some of the listed starters.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see both of the Calhoun brothers on the field this season, as well as a few other frosh.

Look, Stitt may not even BE here in five years to see a redshirt Daum on the field. He needs the wins NOW and will unapologetically sort out the roster and eliminate WR's to find the best. If he sees that it is Daum and he can get production out of him immediately, then, yeah...he'll play 'em. Stitt will build GRIZ wins to pad his resume to move elsewhere because, well, we just don't pay well, remember?

66volvo said:
Look, Stitt may not even BE here in five years to see a redshirt Daum on the field. He needs the wins NOW and will unapologetically sort out the roster and eliminate WR's to find the best. If he sees that it is Daum and he can get production out of him immediately, then, yeah...he'll play 'em. Stitt will build GRIZ wins to pad his resume to move elsewhere because, well, we just don't pay well, remember?

True. But Stitt will be pretty selective, and this may turn out to be an opportunity to take this program to the next level, Dog willing.

I have been following Dalton Daum for years, what a lot of people don't know is just how good he is.
He has great hands, speed and is pretty durable. He is also extremely smart.

I think he is one of the best receivers on the roster. Understandably he is going to a much higher level, However he has never failed, and I don't expect him to start now. He is really excited to go to the Griz, and looks forward to the new challenge. Can hardly wait. Very exciting to watch.

The best athletes should be on the field. Daum is explosive and a game changer. He should be on the field.

66volvo said:

Most of this is probably accurate...however I don't think anyone can accurately guess at the length of Stitt's tenure at this time. Lots could happen in the college football landscape over the next 5 years and I don't know what Stitt values most in terms of coaching and life or if that will change. Something tells me he could have left Mines' for "greener pastures" years before he finally did. I'll just say I hope he does well and sticks around awhile.

BWahlberg said:
Dalton Daum should start right away.

At Quarterback.

And D-tackle

And OC

Geez do I have to suggest everything around here?

Well he was awarded All-State honors at FIVE positions in his senior year ALONE. :thumb:

Not to mention he was the back-up QB to the All-State Cook brothers. :cool:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYA5eX2cmos[/youtube]

4:05 - 5:35 ..... I think a few (receivers) can play right away

7:13 - 7:47 ..... Got kids late that really fit our offense

16:30 - 17:24 ... Daum can fly, likes his speed as a play-caller, going to put years on Stitt's life.

I used to be of the every freshman must red-shirt philosophy. And still feel that way mostly.

But in this case, I feel Daum will (and should) play right away. I stated a long time ago (when he was signed) that Daum was to skilled and athletic to sit. He will return kicks and be in the rotation at receiver. That is his goal, he wants to play right-away. He is well qualified...speed up the wazzu...3,000 receiving yards...and 4 years experienced in fast-paced, no huddle, spread offense at BHS (that always lead the state in passing).

One example that is better though for a red-shirt (than the Holmes example) is Jabin Sambrano. He didn't red-shirt, and man everyone would have wanted him back for a 5th year, instead of being with the Ind Colts.

IntuitiveGriz said:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYA5eX2cmos[/youtube]

4:05 - 5:35 ..... I think a few (receivers) can play right away

7:13 - 7:47 ..... Got kids late that really fit our offense

16:30 - 17:24 ... Daum can fly, likes his speed as a play-caller, going to put years on Stitt's life.

One caveat on the "I think a few (receivers) can play right away" comment...is that he later added two FBS transfer receivers (and another high schooler)...so "a few" true freshman may turn into less than a few playing right away.

Spanky said:
The best athletes should be on the field. Daum is explosive and a game changer. He should be on the field.

I'm in the red shirt the freshmen camp... Unless they're really needed at that position right now.
Dalton Daum is explosive and a potential game changer. Though he is also quite young and relatively small.

Agree with "the best athletes should be on the field". Yet if we want a 10 wide receiver rotation and Daum were the 8th or 9th best on the squad I'd rather red shirt the kid and have him for four full years rather than as someone going in for 8 plays out of 80 as a freshman. So unless he is among the best 4 or 5 receivers this fall I'd give him a year to learn and gain some size. :ugeek:

Grizzlies1982 said:
Spanky said:

I'm in the red shirt the freshmen camp... Unless they're really needed at that position right now.
Dalton Daum is explosive and a potential game changer. Though he is also quite young and relatively small.

Agree with "the best athletes should be on the field". Yet if we want a 10 wide receiver rotation and Daum were the 8th or 9th best on the squad I'd rather red shirt the kid and have him for four full years rather than as someone going in for 8 plays out of 80 as a freshman. So unless he is among the best 4 or 5 receivers this fall I'd give him a year to learn and gain some size. :ugeek:

I see both sides, play right away or red-shirt. A 5th year is ALWAYS better than a true 1st year. But as Coach Stitt said, Dalton Daum IS the fly sweep. So I see him playing in 2015.

North Dakota State played a similar true freshman receiver last season, and he had ok numbers, sounds like he helped NDSU win (even started): http://www.gobison.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6269&path=football

#16 RJ Urzendowski

2014 SEASON (FRESHMAN): Caught passes in 12 of 16 games and made nine starts...Made 32 catches for 626 yards and five touchdowns…Second most receiving yards by a freshman wide receiver at NDSU behind Marques Johnson's 749 yards in 2002…Led the Missouri Valley Football Conference and ranked seventh nationally with 19.56 yards per reception...NDSU’s leading receiver in the playoffs with 12 catches for 271 yards and three TDs…Caught the game-winning 12-yard touchdown with 54 seconds left in the 27-24 second round playoff win over South Dakota State…Key receptions of 32, 13 and 33 yards on a six-play, 78-yard game-winning drive in the 29-27 win over Illinois State in the FCS championship...Had five catches for 100 yards in the title game...Four 100-yard receiving games including a season-high seven catches and 114 yards at Western Illlinois...Named to the MVFC Honor Roll.

Latest posts

Back