• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Dalton Daum: Should he play right away?

If Daum had numbers like THESE:
Caught passes in 12 of 16 games and made nine starts...Made 32 catches for 626 yards and five touchdowns…

I'd have no problem with him playing.

Partying at Evil K days in Butte with Dalton's Uncle Ron Collins (Hertz Athlete of the Year). The guy is GREAT!!! And looks like an Adonis!!! Super nice guy.

He should red shirt and make em pay for five years of school instead of 4. Speaking on the field, there is a huge difference between a true Freshmen and a fifth year Senior. I would love to see him in five years time playing instead of next season.

IntuitiveGriz said:
Partying at Evil K days in Butte with Dalton's Uncle Ron Collins (Hertz Athlete of the Year). The guy is GREAT!!! And looks like an Adonis!!! Super nice guy.

I refuse to partake. Knievel was a scum bag and I refuse to attend any festival honoring him. Most people in Butte feel the same way about him that I do.

grizaremoregooder said:
He should red shirt and make em pay for five years of school instead of 4. Speaking on the field, there is a huge difference between a true Freshmen and a fifth year Senior. I would love to see him in five years time playing instead of next season.

A more valid comparison would be the difference between a true senior and a 5th year senior.

Hammer said:
IntuitiveGriz said:

I refuse to partake. Knievel was a scum bag and I refuse to attend any festival honoring him. Most people in Butte feel the same way about him that I do.

They love him at Muzzy's though.

WaGriz4life said:
grizindabox said:
Jefferson Heidelberger Syndrome
Only you sucrose laden Griz fans drinking kool-aide in Wally World don't realize that every single incoming freshman needs to redshirt. Dumbasses.

So every one of them needs a 5 year college plan for the benefit of the program regardless?

You play to win the game! You put your best players on the field in an effort to do just that. If one of your best players happens to be a true freshman, so be it.

I feel if Daum is 1 of our 2 main KR and PR guys, play him!!! I'd like to see him be in the 10 man rotation at WR also. I would like to see him be a reason to justify Henderson and Jones not having to be doing returns all the time. Those guys are too valuable on offense, especially to start the season. Those are the guys defenses have to focus on until other guys pick up their games. Then again, my favorite WR/return duo of recent memory was Segers and Heidelberger (sp;s?). Those 2 were awesome and stayed healthy even with being keys at WR and returners. I'd love to see the GRIZ with a duo threat combo like those 2 again.

mtgrizrule said:
I feel if Daum is 1 of our 2 main KR and PR guys, play him!!! I'd like to see him be in the 10 man rotation at WR also. I would like to see him be a reason to justify Henderson and Jones not having to be doing returns all the time. Those guys are too valuable on offense, especially to start the season. Those are the guys defenses have to focus on until other guys pick up their games. Then again, my favorite WR/return duo of recent memory was Segers and Heidelberger (sp;s?). Those 2 were awesome and stayed healthy even with being keys at WR and returners. I'd love to see the GRIZ with a duo threat combo like those 2 again.
We saw flashes of what they could do in 2013. Teams started doubling up on Henderson, so JJ just tossed it to Jones instead. Of course, he's more than capable of beating double coverage on his own. :cool:

I have no problem playing a true freshman if it makes the team better now. There is nothing sure in life (especially football).

mtgriz said:
I have no problem playing a true freshman if it makes the team better now. There is nothing sure in life (especially football).

I have no idea what people don't understand about this concept. Play your best players....period.

Griz2k said:
mtgriz said:

I have no idea what people don't understand about this concept. Play your best players....period.

Here's why teams don't necessarily play their best players. In any competitive game, perhaps 50 or so players play. Why play 2d team and special teams players as frosh, when they are only slightly better than older players. Why not give them a redshirt year to develop--get older, stronger, better, learn the playbook better, etc. It is highly likely that they will be better as 5th year players than they are as frosh. As some of you are saying, though, there are immediate needs and sometimes frosh are the best or need to play. Playing a frosh as a starter is one situation where the frosh will likely play. He's the best. He's needed (unless the nos. 2 and 3 players in the position are almost as good). The team needs to win games, and win now. In the case of Daum, would he be one of the best receivers this fall, or just in the top 8. I doubt that he'd be one of the top ones, but admittedly I don't know. Does anyone think that Daum would be as good now, as he would be as a 5th year player? It's a trade off. However, I don't think coaches ever play their best players every year. In the case of receivers, UM doesn't want to play any true frosh this year, but if Henderson doesn't get his ncaa waiver, and I'm not so sure that's a slam dunk, then who knows who will emerge in preseason and what the needs will be. The Penn St transfer and the kid who came from the AF prep school look to be very good or have high potential. The AF transfer may play immediately, or could redshirt (ie this will be his first year of college football).

PlayerRep said:
Griz2k said:
mtgriz said:

Here's why teams don't necessarily play their best players. In any competitive game, perhaps 50 or so players play. Why play 2d team and special teams players as frosh, when they are only slightly better than older players. Why not give them a redshirt year to develop--get older, stronger, better, learn the playbook better, etc. It is highly likely that they will be better as 5th year players than they are as frosh. As some of you are saying, though, there are immediate needs and sometimes frosh are the best or need to play. Playing a frosh as a starter is one situation where the frosh will likely play. He's the best. He's needed (unless the nos. 2 and 3 players in the position are almost as good). The team needs to win games, and win now. In the case of Daum, would he be one of the best receivers this fall, or just in the top 8. I doubt that he'd be one of the top ones, but admittedly I don't know. Does anyone think that Daum would be as good now, as he would be as a 5th year player? It's a trade off. However, I don't think coaches ever play their best players every year. In the case of receivers, UM doesn't want to play any true frosh this year, but if Henderson doesn't get his ncaa waiver, and I'm not so sure that's a slam dunk, then who knows who will emerge in preseason and what the needs will be. The Penn St transfer and the kid who came from the AF prep school look to be very good or have high potential. The AF transfer may play immediately, or could redshirt (ie this will be his first year of college football).

Totally get what you're saying and agree for the most part. However, like I said earlier the comparison of a player as a true freshman vs the same player as a 5th year senior isn't really accurate. Of course that player as a 5th year senior will be better than they were as a true frosh. To be more accurate you'd have to compare how they'd be as a true senior vs a 5th year senior. I have no idea how good Daum will be or if he should play this year. I'm just not on the "redshirt all true freshman no matter what" side.

cclarkblues said:

Muzz is a business man, he loved the celebrity and the publicity involved having EK frequenting his bar. Maybe he did like him personally I don't know, but 90% of Butte residents know EK as a thug. A lying, cheating woman beater. A friend of mine was married to his daughter and they share a kid, and some of the stories he tells about EK are pretty unflattering. Dude was a dirtbag, end of story.

Hammer said:
cclarkblues said:

Muzz is a business man, he loved the celebrity and the publicity involved having EK frequenting his bar. Maybe he did like him personally I don't know, but 90% of Butte residents know EK as a thug. A lying, cheating woman beater. A friend of mine was married to his daughter and they share a kid, and some of the stories he tells about EK are pretty unflattering. Dude was a dirtbag, end of story.
Agreed, and his kid is a POS drug dealing douchebag..........

What do EK's shortcomings have to do with whether or not Daulton Daum should play as a true freshman?

AZGrizFan said:
What do EK's shortcomings have to do with whether or not Daulton Daum should play as a true freshman?

hqdefault.jpg

Dont cha know its all eGriz now days now you guys prepare that AZ post with some 3 & 1 oil and some gauze pads and I am gonna need about 10 quarts of antifreeze.....Prestone, no make that Quaker State and wash those PlayaRape posts they have a tremendous amount of gook in them

Griz2k said:
However, like I said earlier the comparison of a player as a true freshman vs the same player as a 5th year senior isn't really accurate. Of course that player as a 5th year senior will be better than they were as a true frosh. To be more accurate you'd have to compare how they'd be as a true senior vs a 5th year senior. I have no idea how good Daum will be or if he should play this year. I'm just not on the "redshirt all true freshman no matter what" side.
And another side that the 5th year senior crowd seems to overlook is the distinct probability that health or injury could impact contribution in the later years. Play the players when they are healthy; Daum is healthy this year and is likely the best kick returner on the team and one of the best receivers. Spreading the load among EH, Jones and Daum will help keep them all better for the long season. He's another factor to give D coordinators fits.

Back