• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Dalton Daum: Should he play right away?

griz5700 said:
Being dramatic, Kem.. Daum will be great. Probably not next year though.

Was Mariani able to contribute his freshman year?

Hard to use that speed if you can't break a jam.

Good thing he will be an inside Z or flanker, off of the LOS. Flankers rarely get jammed, and if they do, the jams are more easily defeated because of the extra space they have at the snap. He will also play the X or split-end however (outside rec on the LOS) where he will face jams.

True freshman that played: off the top of my head

Chase Naccarato
Jabin Sambrano
Taylor Walcott
Bryce Carver
Jefferson Heidelberger
Levander Segars
Etu Molden - true fr safety, then receiver soph, Jr, and Sr.

Immediately after Daum repeated as 100 and 200 champion (rare feat) at state in May, Griz receiver coach Mike Ferriter tweeted "I can't wait to get this guy on campus".

I wonder why Ferriter, a former Griz receiver and team captain, is so excited to get the 2-time Gatorade Track and Field Athlete of the Year of the year on campus?

Feel free to fill in the _____ (blank).

:egriz:

Just for the record, I WANT DAUM TO REDSHIRT. (but I DO think he is good enough to play now)

A good true freshman year isn't worth giving up a possible All-American honors 5-year campaign SR year. (Just think if we didn't have Mariani for his tremendous 5th year)

IF he's going to be used he should play now, return some kicks and see a decent amount of time on the field.

If he's only going to be in there on 3rd and 15 with 3 other WR's, then no.

As much as I want him to red-redshirt (for the future), the kid is just better than some of the potential starters. He won't red-shirt. The only time is now.

I mean the kid finished 2nd at state in the 100 and 200 as a freshman! He was recruited by msu since he was a freshman and been a blue-chip prospect since his soph year.

GET HIM THE BALL :!: :clap: :lol: :thumb:

Heading into the 2015 season, Daum isn’t sure if he will redshirt or contribute for the Grizzlies this season.

“He said he wanted to try to keep our freshman class together,” Daum said of Stitt. “I’d like to play, but if I redshirt it’s another year. I don’t want to redshirt and not play that much, and waste a year.

“It would be nice to have a year to get settled in and used to everything, lifting and get stronger,” Daum said. “If I redshirt I do, but if I don’t I’ll be excited to play.”

So, there’s a good chance that Saturday’s Shrine Game will be the last time Daum will play in a game that counts until late August or September of 2016.

Full article: http://buttesports.com/dalton-daum-appreciates-meaning-behind-shrine-game/

With Stitt wanting to keep the freshman class of receivers together, that makes sense that he is bringing in 3 transfer players, and also tried to bring in that other transfer receiver that fell short on credits.

I think the main question is will he make that big of a difference as a true freshman? Do we need him THIS year? Or would he benefit as well as the team benefit by having him redshirt and mature physically and mentally? If we don't have enough receivers or if a few go down with injuries then we may need to burn his redshirt. Adding Ben Roberts to the mix I would rather Daum take a redshirt to make room for Ben on the roster than have Daum play as a true freshman and not take a chance on Ben.

Rightoooonnnn said:
I think the main question is will he make that big of a difference as a true freshman?

I agree. In fact, I'm going to change the title of the thread. But only on this post.

Wow... all I can say is you guys are placing some extremely high immediate expectations on a kid who hasn't even stepped on the practice field yet.

Is he physically ready to play at this level yet?

Lots of times those WRs, especially small/slight receivers, need that extra year of strength and conditioning. Last thing you want is that kid getting hurt and having to deal with injuries for 4 years. I agree with whoever said Holden Ryan is more ready.

Unless he just blows things up in fall camp, I say let him mature for a year.

Perhaps we can simply tell Stitt to play Dalton next season and only on special teams....and make him play with extra padding and two helmets full face shield and only have him run at half speed.

On second thought I'd let Stitt decide.

Umista said:
Perhaps we can simply tell Stitt to play Dalton next season and only on special teams....and make him play with extra padding and two helmets full face shield and only have him run at half speed.

On second thought I'd let Stitt decide.

Now you're getting it, play limits and being super careful is the key.

IntuitiveGriz said:
Immediately after Daum repeated as 100 and 200 champion (rare feat) at state in May, Griz receiver coach Mike Ferriter tweeted "I can't wait to get this guy on campus".

I wonder why Ferriter, a former Griz receiver and team captain, is so excited to get the 2-time Gatorade Track and Field Athlete of the Year of the year on campus?

Feel free to fill in the _____ (blank).

I have been following Intuitive's glowing reports on Daum for years....after the erection went PHsssss.....tttt will we still be getting day-to-day updates on Daums future endeavors? I'm kind of worried that Hammer & Intuitive may be on the ledge of the Berkely Pit.....BOLO alert!!!!!

Back