• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Dalton Daum: Should he play right away?

kemajic said:
Griz2k said:
However, like I said earlier the comparison of a player as a true freshman vs the same player as a 5th year senior isn't really accurate. Of course that player as a 5th year senior will be better than they were as a true frosh. To be more accurate you'd have to compare how they'd be as a true senior vs a 5th year senior. I have no idea how good Daum will be or if he should play this year. I'm just not on the "redshirt all true freshman no matter what" side.
And another side that the 5th year senior crowd seems to overlook is the distinct probability that health or injury could impact contribution in the later years. Play the players when they are healthy; Daum is healthy this year and is likely the best kick returner on the team and one of the best receivers. Spreading the load among EH, Jones and Daum will help keep them all better for the long season. He's another factor to give D coordinators fits.

Daum could be great at some point, but he hasn't even had a fall camp under his belt. When he matches up against our corners we'll get a better idea. I'm sure the coaches will observe this and decide if he can make an impactful contribution THIS year. Most true freshmen do not. If he can then great, and if he is needed, of course he'll play. Though I hardly think predicting future injuries to justify playing a true freshmen is sound thinking.

Alaska Griz said:
kemajic said:
Griz2k said:
However, like I said earlier the comparison of a player as a true freshman vs the same player as a 5th year senior isn't really accurate. Of course that player as a 5th year senior will be better than they were as a true frosh. To be more accurate you'd have to compare how they'd be as a true senior vs a 5th year senior. I have no idea how good Daum will be or if he should play this year. I'm just not on the "redshirt all true freshman no matter what" side.
And another side that the 5th year senior crowd seems to overlook is the distinct probability that health or injury could impact contribution in the later years. Play the players when they are healthy; Daum is healthy this year and is likely the best kick returner on the team and one of the best receivers. Spreading the load among EH, Jones and Daum will help keep them all better for the long season. He's another factor to give D coordinators fits.

Daum could be great at some point, but he hasn't even had a fall camp under his belt. When he matches up against our corners we'll get a better idea. I'm sure the coaches will observe this and decide if he can make an impactful contribution THIS year. Most true freshmen do not. If he can then great, and if he is needed, of course he'll play. Though I hardly think predicting future injuries to justify playing a true freshmen is sound thinking.

I hope you continue to hold other posters accountable for the same thing..........like all the idiots that think a QB is more injury prone than any other position. QBs, RBs or WRs have no more chance to be injured than any other position in a game or in practice.

After reading the WR depth thread, Daum does have his work cut out for him to be a consistent contributor at WR. If he can work himself into the top 6, that would be a pretty good feat for him.

Daum is the 3rd best WR we have behind Jones and Henderson.

It wont be hard to beat out any of the rest if the playing field is level, Most of the rest of our WRs are extremely average and often injured.

Maybe you guys should start a petition to protect the WRs like a QB so they dont get hurt as often?

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
Daum is the 3rd best WR we have behind Jones and Henderson.

It wont be hard to beat out any of the rest if the playing field is level, Most of the rest of our WRs are extremely average and often injured.

Maybe you guys should start a petition to protect the WRs like a QB so they dont get hurt as often?

I am sure you have watched him play than most of us have. The little I have watched, I feel he has potential to be a true #1. Does he have the mental makeup and readiness to be top 3 WR this season? I sure hope you are right he can do it this season.

Daum is talented but dude looks like a twig. I'd be surprised if he jumps into the mix right away. Holden Ryan is physically more ready than Daum, but will be adjusting to a new position and offense. Will be interesting to see how Stitt plays it considering his disappointment with the depth at WR after spring ball.

Being dramatic, Kem.. Daum will be great. Probably not next year though.

Was Mariani able to contribute his freshman year?

Hard to use that speed if you can't break a jam.

AllWeatherFan said:
He looks like a twig. A really, really fast twig.
0208_MrTwig.jpg

griz5700 said:
Being dramatic, Kem.. Daum will be great. Probably not next year though.

Was Mariani able to contribute his freshman year?

Hard to use that speed if you can't break a jam.
Dramatic? Best you got? MM was an unheralded freshman walk-on on a run first program, hardly noticed by Hauck. Not the case with Daum; Stitt will be watching his every move as he is just the type of athlete Stitt had so few of at CSM. MM was still a twig throughout his Griz career but fantastic at running around and by a "jam". Daum is even faster; if he has field vision and ability to recognize seams like MM, it will be noticed this year.

I didn't like your tone, alright, kem. ;)

I'd say Mariani definitely improved his strength a lot from his freshman year to jr-sr. year. I remember playing beer pong against him at a house party when he was a true freshman. Couldn't believe he was on the Griz. But the way he rolled us and everyone in beer pong, I knew nothing was stopping this kid.

Mariani was physical at the line, had amazing technique and ran perfect routes. For Daum, if he develops his route skills anywhere close to Mariani he'll be a special player.

Alaska Griz said:
CV Griz Fan said:
grizatwork said:
If he can beat people out to play now he should play. If he can't he should red-shirt. Don't know what is so hard about this.

Someone posting with a common sense answer. How refreshing....

That's one way to look at it...the other is whether the improved impact you get from him over the guy he beat out versus his potential impact as a 5th year senior is "worth it." Doesn't seem as black and white as you make it out to be. Depends on what the athlete, coach, think is the best option. If the guy is beating out starters than to me that makes the decision much more clearcut.

Ok now. I think you just said the exact same thing we did. Good job....

CV Griz Fan said:
Alaska Griz said:
CV Griz Fan said:
grizatwork said:
If he can beat people out to play now he should play. If he can't he should red-shirt. Don't know what is so hard about this.

That's one way to look at it...the other is whether the improved impact you get from him over the guy he beat out versus his potential impact as a 5th year senior is "worth it." Doesn't seem as black and white as you make it out to be. Depends on what the athlete, coach, think is the best option. If the guy is beating out starters than to me that makes the decision much more clearcut.

Ok now. I think you just said the exact same thing we did. Good job....

If you can't decipher subtlety, then don't bother...I'll explain the statement another way for you. It depends who he beats out. The poster said "if he can beat people out." As I contended in an earlier post, if he is in the top rung of receivers he should play, if he is "beating out" the 8th or 9th best receiver which might have a very minimal role, then maybe you still consider red-shirting him. So essentially I added some nuance to the original thought :eek:

getgrizzy said:
Daum and Ryan will both play this year. So will Sims.

Just curious...where do you think Ryan will play this year? And Sims? I don't see it happening. Both will be awesome, but Sims is raw and we have big recievers ahead of Ryan. Tyler Lucas, Ben Roberts (both seniors), Burke, Carlson.

Alaska Griz said:
If you can't decipher subtlety, then don't bother...I'll explain the statement another way for you. It depends who he beats out. The poster said "if he can beat people out." As I contended in an earlier post, if he is in the top rung of receivers he should play, if he is "beating out" the 8th or 9th best receiver which might have a very minimal role, then maybe you still consider red-shirting him. So essentially I added some nuance to the original thought :eek:

Nuance and subtlety....two things lost on message boards.

Alaska Griz said:
getgrizzy said:
Daum and Ryan will both play this year. So will Sims.

Just curious...where do you think Ryan will play this year? And Sims? I don't see it happening. Both will be awesome, but Sims is raw and we have big recievers ahead of Ryan. Tyler Lucas, Ben Roberts (both seniors), Burke, Carlson.
Ryan is better than all of those guys IMO. I think Ryan is better than Daum. We're short at DE, so Sims is going play. He's easily the fourth best DE. New coaches tend to get their guys in right away if needed.

Back