• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Daum-ination

Colonelhick said:
Daum's latest 100 time at the Eastern AA Divisionals this past week was 10.77, where he won the event. He has also ran a 10.66 which is his fastest time in the 100 meter dash. It looks like he is the fastest kid in the state.

He additionally won the 200 meter dash posting a 21.53 time last week. He has ran a 49.59 400 meter time and has jumped 19.00 in the Long Jump.

He is on track to win multiple individual events, plus assist his team win the 4 x 100 and the 4 x 400 relays at state.

This kid is an athlete and could run track at the D1 level.

I viewed the Big Sky Conference outdoor championship finals results this Saturday (event Sat, May 16). Daum's high school times are already competitve:

Men 100 Meter Dash
=====================================================================
Name Year School Finals Wind
1 Eric Adorno JR Sacramento St. 10.58 0.3
2 James Fisher SO Northern Arizona 10.65 0.3
3 Vernon Jamison SR Northern Arizona 10.67 0.3
4 Jeremy VanAssche FR Eastern Washington 10.69 0.3
5 Bryan Cuellar SR Sacramento St. 10.74 0.3
6 Dominique Bobo SO Montana 10.84 0.3
7 Mitchell Horning FR Montana State 10.88 0.3
8 Justin Lewis FR Southern Utah 11.10 0.3

Wind aided...well, either the wind doesn't really aid in a 400 unless it switches directions halfway through. Daum's 400 time for rarely running the event is big time. If he can hit 48 in high school while only running it a handful of times, I expect him to get track attention from some big schools. Or not...either way, pretty awesome to run those kind of times in three different sprints.

Colonelhick said:
Daum's latest 100 time at the Eastern AA Divisionals this past week was 10.77, where he won the event. He has also ran a 10.66 which is his fastest time in the 100 meter dash. It looks like he is the fastest kid in the state.

He additionally won the 200 meter dash posting a 21.53 time last week. He has ran a 49.59 400 meter time and has jumped 19.00 in the Long Jump.

He is on track to win multiple individual events, plus assist his team win the 4 x 100 and the 4 x 400 relays at state.

Daum's time is really competitve here. :cool:

Men 200 Meter Dash
1 James Fisher SO Northern Arizona 21.20 -1.5
2 Dominique Bobo SO Montana 21.41 -1.5
3 Eric Adorno JR Sacramento St. 21.42 -1.5
4 Vernon Jamison SR Northern Arizona 21.59 -1.5
5 Tony Osheku Junior JR Weber State 21.62 -1.5
6 Jeremy VanAssche FR Eastern Washington 22.02 -1.5
7 Justin Lewis FR Southern Utah 22.27 -1.5
8 Kerson Lubin FR Montana 22.47 -1.5

IntuitiveGriz said:
Colonelhick said:

Daum's time is really competitve here. :cool:

Men 200 Meter Dash
1 James Fisher SO Northern Arizona 21.20 -1.5
2 Dominique Bobo SO Montana 21.41 -1.5
3 Eric Adorno JR Sacramento St. 21.42 -1.5
4 Vernon Jamison SR Northern Arizona 21.59 -1.5
5 Tony Osheku Junior JR Weber State 21.62 -1.5
6 Jeremy VanAssche FR Eastern Washington 22.02 -1.5
7 Justin Lewis FR Southern Utah 22.27 -1.5
8 Kerson Lubin FR Montana 22.47 -1.5

Enough about this Daum kid, I am more excited that the GRIZ have a sprinter named Kerson Lubin, who I think was the lead singer of German techno/fusion pioneers Kraftwerk in the mid 80's. :lol:

IntuitiveGriz said:
CrunchGriz said:
Alaska Griz said:
I hope Daum sprints for the Griz. Gifted runner. He could be an all-time great. Daum, Holden, Rooks, Calhoun, and Keaton should be a pretty fierce receiving corp in a few years. Plus the other 20. ;)

The only Griz Dalton would have had real trouble with would have been Herbert Gamboa, in his sprinting prime.

He did a 10.51 in high school--and he's one of our linebackers. :eek: :thumb:

It was a top-50 time in the country that year for high-schoolers.

Gamboa's last JR race of the season: 10.82
Daum's... last JR race of the season: 10.86

Gamboa's last SR race of the season: 10.73
Daum's... last SR race of the season: 10.77 (with State still to run)

Was there a huge elevation difference and does it matter? I'm ignorant to these things, so I ask.

DuCharme said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
CrunchGriz said:
Alaska Griz said:
I hope Daum sprints for the Griz. Gifted runner. He could be an all-time great. Daum, Holden, Rooks, Calhoun, and Keaton should be a pretty fierce receiving corp in a few years. Plus the other 20. ;)

The only Griz Dalton would have had real trouble with would have been Herbert Gamboa, in his sprinting prime.

He did a 10.51 in high school--and he's one of our linebackers. :eek: :thumb:

It was a top-50 time in the country that year for high-schoolers.

Gamboa's last JR race of the season: 10.82
Daum's... last JR race of the season: 10.86

Gamboa's last SR race of the season: 10.73
Daum's... last SR race of the season: 10.77 (with State still to run)

Was there a huge elevation difference and does it matter? I'm ignorant to these things, so I ask.
When it comes to sprinting, higher elevations are desirable actually. The difference is pretty un-observable though. Bottom line, no deduction for running at elevation.

IntuitiveGriz said:
Colonelhick said:

I viewed the Big Sky Conference outdoor championship finals results this Saturday (event Sat, May 16). Daum's high school times are already competitve:

Men 100 Meter Dash
1 Eric Adorno JR Sacramento St. 10.58 0.3
2 James Fisher SO Northern Arizona 10.65 0.3
3 Vernon Jamison SR Northern Arizona 10.67 0.3
4 Jeremy VanAssche FR Eastern Washington 10.69 0.3
5 Bryan Cuellar SR Sacramento St. 10.74 0.3
6 Dominique Bobo SO Montana 10.84 0.3
7 Mitchell Horning FR Montana State 10.88 0.3
8 Justin Lewis FR Southern Utah 11.10 0.3

Holy crap, that's a lot of youth.

Looks like 49.9 posted by my brother in law in the 440 way back in 1957 is still pretty good time.

Dmontanagrizzlies said:
I saw a Tweet earlier that Dalton won the state AA 100 with a 10.81 time

Class AA State Track
Legends Stadium, Kalispell
Saturday BOYS

Team Scores — Flathead 83, Helena 83, Glacier 49, Helena Capital 47, Billings Skyview 42, Billings Senior 41, Billings West 40, Bozeman 38, Butte 32, Missoula Hellgate 31, Great Falls CMR 15, Missoula Sentinel 14, Missoula Big Sky 10, Great Falls 2.

100 — 1, Dalton Daum, Butte, 10.81. 2, Anthony Taylor, Capital, 11.06. 3, Jacob Kleinhans, Bozeman, 11.13. 4, Nick VanHorssen, Helena, 11.17. 5, Sam Kirkedie, Big Sky, 11.24. 6, Cain Boschee, Glacier, 11.27.

200 — 1, Dalton Daum, Butte, 21.67. 2, Jacob Kleinhans, Bozeman, 22.49. 3, Anthony Taylor, Capital, 22.49. 4, Cain Boschee, Glacier, 22.57. 5, Nick VanHorssen, Helena, 22.75. 6, Sam Kirkedie, Big Sky, 22.94.

556115f33cbca.image.jpg

KALISPELL – Butte High’s Dalton Daum went out the way just about everyone thought he would. On top.

The senior Bulldog spent part of his Saturday at the State Class AA Track and Field Championships where he successfully defended his state titles in the 100 meters and 200 meters at Legends Stadium. Daum won the 100 in a time of 10.81 seconds, and clinched the exacta by winning the 200 in 21.67 seconds. He placed in those two events in each of year of high school, which is a rare event.

With track and field likely behind him, Daum said it’s time to start focusing on playing football for the University of Montana. “I don’t think so,” Daum said of the probability of joining the Grizzlies track team. “I’m sure they’re going to recruit me to run track but as of now I’m leaning toward just playing football.
“Knowing that this was my last track meet, probably ever, and my last time competing for Butte High is bittersweet moment. I’ll never put the purple and white on again.”

Mike Ferriter, Inside Receivers Coach at the University of Montana and Griz Alum WR. re-tweeted a tweet by reporter AZ Mazzolini that read, "Buttes Dalton Daum is lightening in the 100. Future Griz football WR takes it in 10.81 #StateAAtrack #mtscores

Ferriter also added his comment, "Can't wait to get this guy on campus!"

Good news for Griz Fans...right after completing the state track meet, Daum tweeted, "Now it's football season (with a smiley face that had big hearts for eyeballs)"

lEI03_yV.jpg

Spanky said:
Looks like 49.9 posted by my brother in law in the 440 way back in 1957 is still pretty good time.

Hey Spanky,

Thought you might be interested in this TED Talk, using biomechanical analysis to compare Jesse Owens' 1936 time with Usain Bolt's time last year in the world championship:

“…[C]onsider that Usain Bolt started by propelling himself out of blocks down a specially fabricated carpet designed to allow him to travel as fast as humanly possible. Jesse Owens, on the other hand, ran on cinders, the ash from burnt wood, and that soft surface stole far more energy from his legs as he ran. Rather than blocks, Jesse Owens had a gardening trowel that he had to use to dig holes in the cinders to start from. Biomechanical analysis of the speed of Owens' joints shows that had been running on the same surface as Bolt, he wouldn't have been 14 feet behind, he would have been within one stride.”

http://www.ted.com/talks/david_epstein_are_athletes_really_getting_faster_better_stronger/transcript?language=en

Back