• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

East/West Shrine Game

havgrizfan said:
Cook was not born n raised in MT. the family moved to anaconda from north carolina i believe, when Dallas was either a frosh or 8th grade. Maybe a little younger. Hammer would know more than I. His mom is a butte area native I think. From what I'm told he doesn't feel a strong bond with the state. With his Butte team, yes, but the state and our state schools, no. But the bigger thing for him is, he's made it clear he feels he can play QB for a much bigger program than the Griz, Cats, or Eastern Washington, which also recruited him heavily. I can't knock a kid for following his dreams and that's what he's doing.
Ahhh, I see. I guess I can understand that. But North Dakota?! Hes gonna be in for a real treat lol. That place sucks. Maybe he'll get his shot at he big time.

griz4life said:
As I left the game I heard a lady in Griz gear say "that's the worst Griz quarterback since Jason Washington." Not fair to knock a kid like that, but it made me laugh out loud.
That's cold LoL!! I'm not to impressed with Weyer either but hes still young.

NLGrizFan said:
griz4life said:
As I left the game I heard a lady in Griz gear say "that's the worst Griz quarterback since Jason Washington." Not fair to knock a kid like that, but it made me laugh out loud.

If not, we can always turn him into a tight end.

WyomingGrizFan said:
NLGrizFan said:
griz4life said:

ha ha!!

WyomingGrizFan said:
NLGrizFan said:
griz4life said:

That was the argument with SSH; never happened; still just an NAIA talent level QB.

So glad we didn't get Cook he is a waste of a scholarship at any level. FBS agrees with that obviously. Most overrated player I can ever remember....he's just not a good QB

Contrary to what has been posted here the Griz did not offer Cook a full scholarship as a junior. I don't believe any offer was made. Delaney wanted Weyer and got him. Hopefully Weyer will do well but the concern is mobility and when I watched him it didn't look like he wanted to run with the ball. Hopefully he will not be solely a pocket passer who is no threat to run. Some college will get Cook next year. There is a good article about him on buttesports.com. He wants to go to Washington State after he plays at the JC. One thing about Cook is that he is tougher than nails and fearless. You can't coach that.

havgrizfan said:
He didn't have interest because he wants to play Division 1 football and he doesnt consider the Griz, Cats or the Big Sky DI. He believes 2 years at a juco will get him the Pac 12 or SEC offer he is seeking.
I know I can't b the only one that thinks of Ryan Leaf when thinking of Dallas Cook?

alabamagrizzly said:
havgrizfan said:
He didn't have interest because he wants to play Division 1 football and he doesnt consider the Griz, Cats or the Big Sky DI. He believes 2 years at a juco will get him the Pac 12 or SEC offer he is seeking.
I know I can't b the only one that thinks of Ryan Leaf when thinking of Dallas Cook?
Actually, The thought has never entered my mind and I watched Cook play many times over the last two years. Have you seen him play?

Why is everyone ignoring Jared Trinastich (correct sp.), the Columbia Falls QB, the game's MVP?
Yes, Cook was impressive, but I'm curious about Jared. Anyone know if he's been offered a schollie? After watching that game, I think he'd have been a better catch than Weyer, who showed hardly at all.

The West was a well-oiled machine. It was like watching a game between an AA and a B school. Don't know if the difference was in the talent or the coaching. I suspect coaching. Seems to me the Sentinel players showed well.

WyomingGrizFan said:
NLGrizFan said:
griz4life said:

of course no one knows how it all turns out, but what I have observed in person is this,,,gustufson was a much, much better qb at the same age in the same types of games than wyer....

Grizzoola said:
Why is everyone ignoring Jared Trinastich (correct sp.), the Columbia Falls QB, the game's MVP?
Yes, Cook was impressive, but I'm curious about Jared. Anyone know if he's been offered a schollie? After watching that game, I think he'd have been a better catch than Weyer, who showed hardly at all.

The West was a well-oiled machine. It was like watching a game between an AA and a B school. Don't know if the difference was in the talent or the coaching. I suspect coaching. Seems to me the Sentinel players showed well.

Trinastich going to Western on a BB Scholarship. He is the real deal plays loose and confident. Doesn't throw the prettiest ball but gets it there almost every time. Mick should give this guy a second look. Weyer and the East played with little heart. Maybe reading their press clippings from the season drubbing of Class AA. Middle linebacker Thilimony from Whitefish took Defensive for West. Foley did ok also.

speth said:
alabamagrizzly said:
havgrizfan said:
Actually, The thought has never entered my mind and I watched Cook play many times over the last two years. Have you seen him play?
No, I never seen either one play high school ball. But I'm not talkin' about that. I'm talkin about attitude towards Montana football. Obviously he's not interested in a small school and sees the JuCo/FBS the way to the NFL. I don't doubt his ability to make it and I think he will, as long has he can figure out the school part.

Weyer has had 2 very average all-star games. His reputation was such that the coaches didn't bother to have another QB on the roster. He looked slow and made costly bad decisions. I want to be excited that he will be a Griz, but I guess we will have to wait and see.

Grizzoola said:

Sentinal's Wilson and Richtmyer both showed up to play. I know Richtmyer was recruited to play LB but I wonder about using him much like they did Gavin Hagfors. Any thoughts?

Hello!!!!!!, I saw one little line about Alex Thomas!! He tore it up. He was so much faster and dominant than the other kids!! And he is a GRIZ!!!!!!!!!! Talk all you want about the O side of the ball but that kid lit it up on D!!! The GRIZ are damn lucky to get him!!!!

Grizzoola said:

I brought him up. I slaughtered his name tho. Maybe nobody knew who I was talking about lol

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
So glad we didn't get Cook he is a waste of a scholarship at any level. FBS agrees with that obviously. Most overrated player I can ever remember....he's just not a good QB
You do have a point. He looked comfortable in the pocket tho and seemed to know when to get out. Passes looked accurate. Well, accurate enough to win last night and a state title. Maybe he is only NAIA talent but he's young.

Hard to make a judgement on the value of a recruit from one all-star game, especially a QB. Weyer has the potential to be a good QB for us. A lot of it will depend on how hard he works and how he will develop. Most HS QBs have to almost completely re-learn the position when coming into college. They have to improve their mechanics, foot work, and learn the offense inside and out. Those attributes are difficult to fully assess during an all-star game. College recruiters know what to look for when signing talent and they often have a plan on how they develop these kids into complete players. Its often up to the kids on how good they can be.

Gustafson was mentioned earlier in this thread. I know this is going to break alot of Griz' fans hearts but Brady's odds of starting for Montana are below 50 percent. I would bet by the conclusion of NEXT spring, Simis will be ahead in the race. As for Weyer, wayyyyyyyyyyy too early to know what his future holds in a Grizzly uniform, but I DO KNOW THIS, the coaching staff will sign another HS QB this February and I wouldn't be shocked if a dropdown is brought in as well. And they will sign ANOTHER HS QB for the 2016 signing class too. That's how it works. No incoming HS recruit is promised anything. So I would say Weyer has an uphill climb just as Gustafson does.

I know how desparately some Griz fans want a Montana-born player to start in that role, but me, I'm in the minority. Every Griz on the roster is a MONTANAN to me once they put on that uniform so what town and state they were originially born in matters none to me.

Latest posts

Back