• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Expectations for this season

Bounce back season

9/2/17 Valparaiso WIN
9/9/17 at Washington LOSS
9/16/17 Savannah State WIN
9/23/17 Eastern Washington LOSS
9/30/17 at Portland State WIN
10/7/17 at Idaho State WIN
10/14/17 North Dakota LOSS
10/28/17 at Weber State WIN
11/4/17 Northern Arizona LOSS
11/11/17 Northern Colorado WIN
11/18/17 at Montana State WIN

ordigger said:
I'll drop my prediction to 9-2, although even if we go 5-6 - Stitt will be back for one more year. Guaranteed.....for all you haters out there.
We go 5-6, which would likely include a loss to MSU, Haslam will be losing donor/boosters he cannot afford to lose.

kemajic said:
ordigger said:
I'll drop my prediction to 9-2, although even if we go 5-6 - Stitt will be back for one more year. Guaranteed.....for all you haters out there.
We go 5-6, which would likely include a loss to MSU, Haslam will be losing donor/boosters he cannot afford to lose.

Stitt will not be back if the Griz go 5-6.

Here's what I am expecting this season:

- I'll be at most of the games.

- I'll drink some whiskey, see some friends, have some laughs.

- I will be loud enough to make the poor lady in front of me plug her ears most of the game.

- PlayerRep will be a pompous ass throughout the season, with several "I told you so's" and "I played the games."

- Brint will have something positive to report.

- argh! will drop by for two or three high-wit posts that will go over the head of 75% of egrizers.

- GGG will be at more games.

- HelenaHandBasket will have something negative to report.

- I'll take my boys to a few games, helping ensure they will always cheer for the right team in the state. Hopefully, they will train their boys up right as well.

- Win or lose, the world will keep turning, and I'll bet there will be another season after this one, and then another and another. How many we will be around for.... well that's where my expectations end.

GeauxGriz said:

- I will be loud enough to make the poor lady in front of me plug her ears most of the game.

- PlayerRep will be a pompous ass throughout the season, with several "I told you so's" and "I played the games."

- argh! will drop by for two or three high-wit posts that will go over the head of 75% of egrizers.

- I'll take my boys to a few games, helping ensure they will always cheer for the right team in the state. Hopefully, they will train their boys up right as well.

- Win or lose, the world will keep turning, and I'll bet there will be another season after this one, and then another and another. How many we will be around for.... well that's where my expectations end.

Hey man i don't know if you know this...but in your name you spelled "Go" wrong...just a friendly reminder

GeauxGriz said:

Great post GG!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

kemajic said:
ordigger said:

If UM goes 5-6, assume that Stitt might be gone and there might be pressure on Haslam to go in that direction. Many believe the jury was still out on the hiring of Stitt and Stitt, but most of those people just watched and hoped things would go well. The end of last season caused the grumbling by some to get much louder. A season that bad would create huge grumbling and pressure, and presumably cause the dam to break. While I was disappointed in the picks in the scrimmage and the lack of running game, the defense is good, and I still think this team has a good chance to win a lot of games. If they can get it going, and I am not saying they will, they could have a very good season. I'm not disagreeing with anyone these days on their predictions, but I went to a number of practices, and I liked what I saw, both with the players and coaches. The team shouldn't have problems with cohesiveness this fall, because this is now Sttit's team. The schedule is generally favorable. We shall see.

My take is this, we need to peak at the right time. The Cats used to come in as pre-season favorites and fizzle at the end. As long as we get better every week, have improved 0-line play every week, we will be more than fine. With that said we didn't figure out how to finish strong and get better every week last year so... yeah, still have doubts as to if we can get that done.

Stitt's biggest problem is sustaining himself as a true head coach and not falling into being an offensive coordinator that's also happens to be the head coach. That affects his leaderships abilities and the players pick up on it. He's not a natural head coach, especially at this level, and he's going against the grain by trying to be one.

Stitt needs to hire an offensive coordinator. There are successful head coaches around the country that have a heavy hand in the offense, but they have someone designated as the OC. I think it sends a bad message to the team that he carries the label HC/OC.

I also think he thinks to much of his ability as an offensive mastermind. He's reading to many of his press clippings and has himself on a pedestal. There are a lot of coaches with big egos, but at the same time they're also able to recognize flaws in their abilities and self-correct them. Stitt never seems to adjust and I think that's because he thinks he knows it all.

grizfan406 said:
My take is this, we need to peak at the right time. The Cats used to come in as pre-season favorites and fizzle at the end. As long as we get better every week, have improved 0-line play every week, we will be more than fine. With that said we didn't figure out how to finish strong and get better every week last year so... yeah, still have doubts as to if we can get that done.

We didn't finish strong because we weren't strong to begin with. Sure we started out with a nice record, but looking back on it the wins were against poor teams and some of those weren't very impressive. We had a nice win against No. Iowa, but that was it. I don't think we faded as the season went along. I just don't think we were that good to begin with.

getgrizzy said:
grizfan406 said:

We didn't finish strong because we weren't strong to begin with. Sure we started out with a nice record, but looking back on it the wins were against poor teams and some of those weren't very impressive. We had a nice win against No. Iowa, but that was it. I don't think we faded as the season went along. I just don't think we were that good to begin with.

Nail on head. I just don't see this years team being an improvement either. Usually i drink the Kool Aid around here but having a hard time buying it anymore.

GeauxGriz said:

I agree with the Sugar Coater. :thumb:

getgrizzy said:
grizfan406 said:

I disagree. While our early record may have looked better than we were, we certainly faded at the end of the year, especially on defense. I mean we lost at home to the Bobcats, which had a one dimensional offense, with a playoff birth on the line - not to mention the loss to Northern Colorado. We probably would have won only one or two two games all year if we had played the entire season the way the last 4 games were played.

I think we're gonna be fine this season. I think by the time September gets here, we will have drastic improvement in the o-line and quarterback play. The O-line will have better pass protection and the quarterback will have a little bit more time to decide what to do with the ball. Not to mention that our defense is going to be really good this year. As long as we can get the special teams worked out, I think we are going to be a dangerous football team this year.

UTGrizFan said:
With the schedule we have I will say 8-3 or 7-4, last season proved we can't overlook teams like Northern Colorado anymore.

We didn't overlook anyone, we just got our ass handed to us, for a host of reasons, although mostly an inadequate offense.

Don't complicate the reasons with lame excuses.

AZGrizFan said:
So EWU loses their entire coaching staff and we're just penciling in a loss to those
WTF Griz Nation?

Well, ya, we still have the same OC.

The defense is so good this year that they will give the offense many more opportunities to get on the field. This will give the O much more practice time in real game situations, which is what they badly need. As a result, they will improve throughout the season ... or maybe just get tired and fall apart.

GeauxGriz said:

Blind Faith.

AZGrizFan said:
Griz2k said:
RayWill said:
9/2/17 Valparaiso WIN
9/9/17 at Washington LOSS
9/16/17 Savannah State WIN
9/23/17 Eastern Washington LOSS
9/30/17 at Portland State WIN
10/7/17 at Idaho State WIN
10/14/17 North Dakota LOSS
10/28/17 at Weber State 50/50
11/4/17 Northern Arizona LOSS
11/11/17 Northern Colorado 50/50
11/18/17 at Montana State LOSS

So say most likely 5-6. Have seen scrimmages at EWU, MSU, UM (TV) PORTLAND and have a freind whom follows the NAU Jacks that says they are looking really sharp. North Dakota sounds to be tough again, Weber was a surprise last year. At this point barring major improvement the defense will help keep the Griz in some tight games but the offense does not have the dynamic to get the job done yet. 5-6 Griz no better than the 5th or 6th team in the Big Sky sitting at home watching the post season on TV.

I think the Griz lose at PSU, other than that, pretty much agree with this post.

So, Ray is saying 5-6 and you're predicting 4-7?

I'll take the over in each of those cases....for as much money as you boys are willing to wager.
You name the amount andI will wager that we do no better than 6-5.

RayWill said:
getgrizzy said:
grizfan406 said:

Nail on head. I just don't see this years team being an improvement either. Usually i drink the Kool Aid around here but having a hard time buying it anymore.

I couldn't agree more. Been saying that for a while now. As evidenced by our lack of selections of all confermce picks. Hell we didn't have one kid make 1st team all big Sky. We barely had a second teamer. That says a lot.

Latest posts

Back