• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Gavin DeJong

I was the one who started this post, and was the one who later posted that Gavin was going to Rocky. I got this information from someone on staff in the Athletic Department. This staffer also told me that Gavin's leaving came as a surprise. UM learned of it, not from Gavin, but from contact from Rocky requesting a release.

UMGriz75 said:
rosco said:
My opinion comes from the experience of my son that played college basketball for 2 years at one school then left to transfer to another. There were no well wishes or pat on the back needed or expected. Great school and his in no way made it less "classy".
Your perspective on what is "classy" or not may be the problem.

MSU invariably thanks departing athletes. To the general public, it appears gracious. It is, in fact, evidence of professionalism. In part, UM suffers from a public that accepts mediocrity; and is paying the price. This one is a small point, but "class" is evidenced by the accumulation of small points.

Perhaps you don't, but in my experience, you always thank people that tried to do a good job for you.

You and I have different perspectives on sport and sportsmanship, no doubt based on different life experiences, and in particular at the University level. We simply disagree on the point.
You have no idea of my views on sport and sportsmanship which has nothing to do with the issue or the "classy" comment. My experience comes from real life and not how I want things be in a perfect world.

Mavman said:
UMGriz75 said:
Mavman said:
Is there an article where Coach Decuire thanked Gavin and wished him the best? I may have missed it. TIA
You mean, similar to this one:
A statement from head coach Jeff Choate stated: “We appreciate the contributions these young men made to the program, and wish them the best going forward.”
http://www.montanasports.com/2016/12/15/four-more-players-leave-msu-football-program/

Or this one:
“Shy let me know that he wants to continue his career elsewhere and I wish him the best,” Fish said. “I appreciate his contributions this year.”
http://billingsgazette.com/sports/college/big-sky-conference/montana-state-university/basketball-mens/blake-leaves-montana-state-basketball-team/article_e82944c0-e18c-56c9-9b30-e0e07b9973ad.html

Is it any wonder "Montana" as a University and a sports program is developing a "rep" in Montana? And that Choate and Fish are seen as building classy programs?

I've always been an advocate of being "classy" to opposing teams, opposing coaches, opposing players, and especially towards our own teams, players, and especially departing players that, for one reason or another, did not find their dreams at the University of Montana. I think its just part of what makes a program "classy" in the eyes of athletes and the public.

What I find disgusting is "egrizzers" who revel in disdainful treatment of the kids that play or have played for this school.

Wrong again you are right about 7 out of 13 times.

I would like to wager $25,000 on the Under, please.

rosco said:
You have no idea of my views on sport and sportsmanship which has nothing to do with the issue or the "classy" comment. My experience comes from real life and not how I want things be in a perfect world.
I have no doubt that you were unable to articulate your views on sports and sportsmanship while commenting on an athlete on a sports forum, and that your "real life" experiences had little to do with the common courtesies practiced by careful institutions and designed to create a positive public relations image for a University that desperately needs one.

I was raised to say "thank you," you obviously weren't.

UMGriz75 said:
Potomac Griz said:
So what type of "rep" is Montana developing and what are you basing that statement on?
Have you been locked in an airtight room the past six years?

Since this is the basketball forum, I'll ask my question again but specifically about the basketball program. In an earlier comment where you're praising the classiness of the MSU coaches, you state that the U of M athletic programs are developing a "rep" and it's obvious you don't mean a good one.

So, what type of bad rep does DeCuire and the basketball program have? In your opinion what have they done to earn this bad rep? What are the results of the bad rep? Is it hurting recruiting?

mtgrizrule said:
It is easy to put to rest the "Montana is building a bad rep" theory. I challenge as many egrizzers as possible to attend team camp or the advanced cage camp. Feel free to ask the parents, players, and high school coaches why they attend the camp, and what are their feelings about the camps, team, and coaches? Rest assure, you will hear glowing reviews.

Mtgrizrule's post is likely a lot more accurate when it comes to the reputation that the Griz basketball program has. We've seen the results of this good reputation in the form of transfers coming here, getting some great recruits over bigger programs, etc. It's an exciting time for Grizzly basketball and I hope DeCuire sticks around for a LONG time!

UMGriz75 said:
rosco said:
I have no doubt that you were unable to articulate your views on sports and sportsmanship while commenting on an athlete on a sports forum, and that your "real life" experiences had little to do with the common courtesies practiced by careful institutions and designed to create a positive public relations image for a University that desperately needs one.

Having a conversation with UMGriz is like talking to an ex. Continuing to put words into someone's mouth, making up statements that are clearly untrue, apparently telling me how I was incorrectly raised, and always wanting to have the last word even if its irrelevant. That's why your the ex!

UMGriz75 said:
kyle_sample said:
I've covered three school and none of them have a policy on how to handle these types of situations.
Both MSU and UM do, in fact, have policies on the matter. They are different policies, but nevertheless they have them.

Any organization worth its salt has "policies" for these kinds of things. Irrespective of the merit of the policy, they have them.

Please show me -- and the rest of the board -- the policy that says coaches are supposed to address players leaving at these schools. I covered both and reviewed both school's athletic department handbooks and media policies and never found such policy.

kyle_sample said:
Please show me -- and the rest of the board -- the policy that says coaches are supposed to address players leaving at these schools. I covered both and reviewed both school's athletic department handbooks and media policies and never found such policy.
I didn't say both schools are "supposed to address players leaving the schools." Nice reporting job. What I did say was that both schools have "policies" about it, and the policies have been the opposite. MSU invariably generates a press release thanking departing student athletes. It is consistently practiced for both football and basketball. Since it is so consistent, and generally follows the same format, it is obviously a "policy."

I inquired briefly at the Athletic Department and it was noted that it was "customary" at UM not to make announcements like that. However, after a discussion, there was agreement that in high profile sports such as football and basketball, it is perhaps appropriate. We'll see tomorrow.

This outcome is consistent with my views of Travis and how he wants this program to be seen.

Potomac Griz said:
So, what type of bad rep does DeCuire and the basketball program have? In your opinion what have they done to earn this bad rep? What are the results of the bad rep? Is it hurting recruiting?
Your penchant for false accusations is remarkable.

What I said was this:
Is it any wonder "Montana" as a University and a sports program is developing a "rep" in Montana?
When you wonder "what bad reputation" and I ask if you've been in an airtight room for six years, its because "you've got to be kidding" if you think "rep" hasn't been a problem for the University of Montana. Your claim is just ludicrous, and that it started with accusations against the sport programs and its resulted in nothing but bad news for the past six years. There was a book written about it. Did you miss that too?

Regarding "sports" I did not mention basketball. Not once. Just like your blatantly false accusation that I was "obviously pissed" that DeJong did not get more playing time -- an observation that was an outright lie -- I did not make one remark ever about DeJong's lack of playing time.

And, if UM is seen as dangerous for women, and unfairly prosecutes male student athletes, what do you think? Never mind. That's not your point, is it?

rail43boy said:
Please UM75, go back to the football board. This has been a nice refuge from your bombastic bs on here.
You'd have to talk to the people who insist on bringing it over here. You won't of course.

UMGriz75 said:
rosco said:

Oh Jesus, this one really takes the cake. UMGriz75, the excoriator of anybody who disagrees, was raised to be polite. When did the train go off the tracks?

kyle_sample said:
Oh Jesus, this one really takes the cake. UMGriz75, the excoriator of anybody who disagrees, was raised to be polite. When did the train go off the tracks?
For someone so quick to denounce any passing remark as "complete bullshit" and then brag to people he barely knows about getting "dirt" from coaches on players and staff, and then routinely misquotes posters, I'd say your "standards" of discourse leave little room to criticize others. When people gratuitously insult me, as you did, expect the return, and continue to expect it. People that are polite, even in disagreement, deserve the return consideration. You've never evidenced that ability, as your current gratuitous post shows: you just can't resist.

Griz1 said:
ordigger said:
Griz1 said:
Zirg said:
Pretty sure Gavin was NOT on schollie, but I'll let the experts confirm that. It just makes me ponder how far Montana basketball has fallen. I remember when the Griz started 5 Montana natives and actually still competed. I guess those days are long gone.

Zirg I have followed Grizzly basketball very closely for many years and cannot remember a team with 5 starters from the state of Montana. Would you please remind me of who they were and when it was. I am curious to see what team or teams I am missing.

Last week....they are all native MONTANA boys now!

Good one ordigger. :clap: I agree with that. It really doesn't matter where they came from, it matters who they represent and they represent the University of Montana Grizzlies.

As for where they originally came from, I struggled to find even one team that had 4 starters from Montana. I thought perhaps a Zanon-Selvig-Hurley team might have had one, but I don't think so. Not sure where Alan (sic?) Nielson was from originally. Doing that off top of my head, so I may be wrong on the name. Played wih or just before Derrick Pope.

However, after discussion, there was agreement that in high profile sports such as football and basketball, it is perhaps appropriate. We'll see tomorrow. This outcome is consistent with my views of Travis and how he wants this program to be seen.
"We'd like to thank Gavin for his contributions to the program over the last two years, and for doing his part to make Grizzly basketball better," said DeCuire. "We wish him the best of luck in his future endeavors."
MissoulaMarinerFan said:
Now that's what I call class. :roll: /sarcasm

Latest posts

Back