• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Gavin DeJong

ordigger said:
Griz1 said:
ordigger said:
Griz1 said:
Zirg I have followed Grizzly basketball very closely for many years and cannot remember a team with 5 starters from the state of Montana. Would you please remind me of who they were and when it was. I am curious to see what team or teams I am missing.

Last week....they are all native MONTANA boys now!

Good one ordigger. :clap: I agree with that. It really doesn't matter where they came from, it matters who they represent and they represent the University of Montana Grizzlies.

As for where they originally came from, I struggled to find even one team that had 4 starters from Montana. I thought perhaps a Zanon-Selvig-Hurley team might have had one, but I don't think so. Not sure where Alan (sic?) Nielson was from originally. Doing that off top of my head, so I may be wrong on the name. Played wih or just before Derrick Pope.

1978 - 1979 Starters were Blaine Taylor (Missoula), Alan Nielsen (Westby), Craig Henkel (Libby), Craig Zanon (Kalispell) and John Stroeder (Bremerton, Washington I believe) Craig Zanon started more games than Tim McCauley on that team and the other 3 Montana guys started virtually every game.

Nielsen and Henkel two of the better long range shooters in Griz history......no 3 point line back then! Taylor a heady point guard and Zanon the guy they threw the back door lob dunks to.

Griz1 said:
Zirg said:
Pretty sure Gavin was NOT on schollie, but I'll let the experts confirm that. It just makes me ponder how far Montana basketball has fallen. I remember when the Griz started 5 Montana natives and actually still competed. I guess those days are long gone.

Zirg I have followed Grizzly basketball very closely for many years and cannot remember a team with 5 starters from the state of Montana. Would you please remind me of who they were and when it was. I am curious to see what team or teams I am missing.

It must have been the early 90's when we last started an all-Montana line-up (at least we did against the Bobcats for one game because I remember Fat Dad making a big deal about it in the introductions emphasizing the MONTANA is everyone's hometown). It must have included Daren Engellent,Gary Kane, Roger Fasting, Jeremy Lake and maybe Matt Kempfort?

Zirg said:
Griz1 said:
Zirg said:
Pretty sure Gavin was NOT on schollie, but I'll let the experts confirm that. It just makes me ponder how far Montana basketball has fallen. I remember when the Griz started 5 Montana natives and actually still competed. I guess those days are long gone.

It must have been the early 90's when we last started an all-Montana line-up (at least we did against the Bobcats for one game because I remember Fat Dad making a big deal about it in the introductions emphasizing the MONTANA is everyone's hometown). It must have included Daren Engellent,Gary Kane, Roger Fasting, Jeremy Lake and maybe Matt Kempfort?

1990-91
Kevin Kearney 30
Delvon Anderson 30
Daren Engellant 30
Roger Fasting 30
Eric Jordan 27
Keith Crawford 3

1991-92
Delvon Anderson 30
Daren Engellant 31
Roger Fasting 30
Nate Atchison 30
Keith Crawford 31
Travis DeCuire 2
Josh Lacheur 1

1992-93
Jeremy Lake 22
Matt Kempfert 22
Josh Lacheur 22
Travis DeCuire 28
Israel Evans 17
Don Hedge 17
Shaun Samuelson 5
Paul Perkins 3
Nate Covill 1

1993-94
Start are not listed

Kane never started his first 3 years. Lake never started as as a freshman which was Engellant's Sr year (1991-92)

Best bet would be the 1993-94 team if they all started at some point, and they were all from Montana.

Kane (Butte), Spoja (Helena), Lake (Lambert), Kempfert (Missoula), Samuelson (Billings)

But Spoja was a freshman at that team (averaged 8.2 pt/gm).

94-95 team had Lake, Samuelson, Kempfert, Spoja, JR Camel (Missoula?), Bob Olson (Butte), Kirk Walker (from Montana? - think he was)

ordigger said:
Zirg said:
Griz1 said:
Zirg said:

1990-91
Kevin Kearney 30
Delvon Anderson 30
Daren Engellant 30
Roger Fasting 30
Eric Jordan 27
Keith Crawford 3

1991-92
Delvon Anderson 30
Daren Engellant 31
Roger Fasting 30
Nate Atchison 30
Keith Crawford 31
Travis DeCuire 2
Josh Lacheur 1

1992-93
Jeremy Lake 22
Matt Kempfert 22
Josh Lacheur 22
Travis DeCuire 28
Israel Evans 17
Don Hedge 17
Shaun Samuelson 5
Paul Perkins 3
Nate Covill 1

1993-94
Start are not listed

Kane never started his first 3 years. Lake never started as as a freshman which was Engellant's Sr year (1991-92)

Best bet would be the 1993-94 team if they all started at some point, and they were all from Montana.

Kane (Butte), Spoja (Helena), Lake (Lambert), Kempfert (Missoula), Samuelson (Billings)

94-95 team had Lake, Samuelson, Kempfert, Spoja, JR Camel (Missoula?), Bob Olson (Butte), Kirk Walker (from Montana? - think he was)

Yes, Camel was from Missoula Hellgate. Kirk Walker was from Darby. He got a lot out of that little balding body. His daughter Dani is a catcher for the Griz Softball Team.

ordigger said:
Zirg said:
Griz1 said:
Zirg said:

1990-91
Kevin Kearney 30
Delvon Anderson 30
Daren Engellant 30
Roger Fasting 30
Eric Jordan 27
Keith Crawford 3

1991-92
Delvon Anderson 30
Daren Engellant 31
Roger Fasting 30
Nate Atchison 30
Keith Crawford 31
Travis DeCuire 2
Josh Lacheur 1

1992-93
Jeremy Lake 22
Matt Kempfert 22
Josh Lacheur 22
Travis DeCuire 28
Israel Evans 17
Don Hedge 17
Shaun Samuelson 5
Paul Perkins 3
Nate Covill 1

1993-94
Start are not listed

Wow, impressive research! I didn't remember Kane never starting his first 3 years. Can you find boxscores for UM-MSU from 93-95 Griz/Cat games. I know it wasn't every game, but at least for one MSU game (and possibly the last time ever), UM started 5 Montana natives.

Zirg said:
ordigger said:
Zirg said:
Griz1 said:

1990-91
Kevin Kearney 30
Delvon Anderson 30
Daren Engellant 30
Roger Fasting 30
Eric Jordan 27
Keith Crawford 3

1991-92
Delvon Anderson 30
Daren Engellant 31
Roger Fasting 30
Nate Atchison 30
Keith Crawford 31
Travis DeCuire 2
Josh Lacheur 1

1992-93
Jeremy Lake 22
Matt Kempfert 22
Josh Lacheur 22
Travis DeCuire 28
Israel Evans 17
Don Hedge 17
Shaun Samuelson 5
Paul Perkins 3
Nate Covill 1

1993-94
Start are not listed

Wow, impressive research! I didn't remember Kane never starting his first 3 years. Can you find boxscores for UM-MSU from 93-95 Griz/Cat games. I know it wasn't every game, but at least for one MSU game (and possibly the last time ever), UM started 5 Montana natives.

From this site....

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/montana/

Interestingly enough, when they had the photocopies of the earlier seasons it tells you when they started, and when they went to the Internet database, they did not. No boxscores for any season.

Latest posts

Back