• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Gavin DeJong

mtgrizrule said:
GrizWhiz said:
mtgrizrule said:
GrizWhiz said:
If you count committed schollies for next season, you total twelve. Thirteen are allowed. :thumb:

This is DeJong's 2nd year on scholarship. I believe, Travis renewed his scholarship, this season at least. So, It should free up a scholarship. I hope for another 6'8" true post player. :thumb:
I believe we have thirteen on scholarship this year not counting Gavin. Four (Dunn, Wright, Lopez and Gfeller) are seniors. I think, so far, three new scholarship players arrive next year.

Dejong is no longer listed on the roster. With that said, I believe Samuelson is still a walk on/non scholarship player. I know for fact, DeJong was on scholarship, and Samuelson was a walk on last season. I did not hear otherwise going into this season. Maybe, Kyle Sample can clear this up. I do believe, this frees up a 5th scholarship for next season. With the way Samuelson is playing, it will likely be his anyway. He appears to be earning it, if he already has not. :thumb:
Hopefully, Kyle can clear this up. I believe he said earlier that Gavin would be on scholarship next season. My impression was that he was a walk on this season.

Pretty sure Gavin was NOT on schollie, but I'll let the experts confirm that. It just makes me ponder how far Montana basketball has fallen. I remember when the Griz started 5 Montana natives and actually still competed. I guess those days are long gone.

Zirg said:
Pretty sure Gavin was NOT on schollie, but I'll let the experts confirm that. It just makes me ponder how far Montana basketball has fallen. I remember when the Griz started 5 Montana natives and actually still competed. I guess those days are long gone.

GRIZ basketball is falling? Please explain.

griznative24 said:
Zirg said:

GRIZ basketball is falling? Please explain.

It's not Griz basketball failing. Used to be the best Montana high school players would stay in state because they weren't known on the national stage. The world is changing, we are adjusting.

Zirg said:

Zirg I have followed Grizzly basketball very closely for many years and cannot remember a team with 5 starters from the state of Montana. Would you please remind me of who they were and when it was. I am curious to see what team or teams I am missing.

Griz1 said:
Zirg said:
Zirg I have followed Grizzly basketball very closely for many years and cannot remember a team with 5 starters from the state of Montana. Would you please remind me of who they were and when it was. I am curious to see what team or teams I am missing.
Can't think of five, but in the 73-74 season, aside from Ken McKenzie from BC, the starters, and most of the rest of the team, were Montana boys. Robin Selvig, Eric Hays, Ben DeMers, Larry Smedley, Tim Stambaugh, Kevin Rocheleau, Tom Peck, Rick McGinnis, Tim Blaine, Scott Hollenbeck, Mark Nord, Jim Darby, Jim Swain. 19-8 overall, 11-4 Big Sky. Eric might have been from Oregon and followed Jud from WSU, if I remember correctly. I can't really recall about Larry Smedley.

UMGriz75 said:
Griz1 said:
Zirg said:
Can't think of five, but in the 73-74 season, aside from Ken McKenzie from BC, the starters, and most of the rest of the team, were Montana boys. Robin Selvig, Eric Hays, Ben DeMers, Larry Smedley, Tim Stambaugh, Kevin Rocheleau, Tom Peck, Rick McGinnis, Tim Blaine, Scott Hollenbeck, Mark Nord, Jim Darby, Jim Swain. 19-8 overall, 11-4 Big Sky. Eric might have been from Oregon and followed Jud from WSU, if I remember correctly. I can't really recall about Larry Smedley.

Hays was from Junction City, OR. Smedley was from Vancouver, WA. Stambaugh was from Portland, OR. Blaine was from Albany, OR. Hollenbeck was from Spokane, WA. Darby was from Vancouver, BC Given McKenzie was from Port Coquitlam, BC. So out of the 13 players you mentioned 7 were from places other than Montana that is not most of the rest of the team being from Montana in my mind. If I remember correctly Selvig and Peck as starters were from Montana. I don't remember for sure if there was a 3rd starter from Montana.

My point being that I didn't follow the Griz prior to 1964 and there have been no teams that I am aware of where there were 5 Montana starters. I am ready to stand corrected but doubt that I will be. The blanket statement by Zirg where Montana started 5 Montana natives and were competitive is not a fact after 1964.

Griz1 said:
Zirg said:

Last week....they are all native MONTANA boys now!

ordigger said:
Griz1 said:
Zirg said:

Last week....they are all native MONTANA boys now!

Good one ordigger. :clap: I agree with that. It really doesn't matter where they came from, it matters who they represent and they represent the University of Montana Grizzlies.

GrizWhiz said:
mtgrizrule said:
GrizWhiz said:
mtgrizrule said:
This is DeJong's 2nd year on scholarship. I believe, Travis renewed his scholarship, this season at least. So, It should free up a scholarship. I hope for another 6'8" true post player. :thumb:
I believe we have thirteen on scholarship this year not counting Gavin. Four (Dunn, Wright, Lopez and Gfeller) are seniors. I think, so far, three new scholarship players arrive next year.

Dejong is no longer listed on the roster. With that said, I believe Samuelson is still a walk on/non scholarship player. I know for fact, DeJong was on scholarship, and Samuelson was a walk on last season. I did not hear otherwise going into this season. Maybe, Kyle Sample can clear this up. I do believe, this frees up a 5th scholarship for next season. With the way Samuelson is playing, it will likely be his anyway. He appears to be earning it, if he already has not. :thumb:
Hopefully, Kyle can clear this up. I believe he said earlier that Gavin would be on scholarship next season. My impression was that he was a walk on this season.

Gavin was on scholarship last season, but not this year. The plan was to put him back on scholarship next season. With him leaving the program, that opens one more scholarship to use next season

Is there an article where Coach Decuire thanked Gavin and wished him the best? I may have missed it. TIA

It amazes me how many times this conversation comes up. The best athletes in the state play and focus on football. It's really cut and dry.

MtTarheel said:
It amazes me how many times this conversation comes up. The best athletes in the state play and focus on football. It's really cut and dry.
I disagree. Just many more opportunities with the roster numbers.

Mavman said:
Is there an article where Coach Decuire thanked Gavin and wished him the best? I may have missed it. TIA
You mean, similar to this one:
A statement from head coach Jeff Choate stated: “We appreciate the contributions these young men made to the program, and wish them the best going forward.”
http://www.montanasports.com/2016/12/15/four-more-players-leave-msu-football-program/

Or this one:
“Shy let me know that he wants to continue his career elsewhere and I wish him the best,” Fish said. “I appreciate his contributions this year.”
http://billingsgazette.com/sports/college/big-sky-conference/montana-state-university/basketball-mens/blake-leaves-montana-state-basketball-team/article_e82944c0-e18c-56c9-9b30-e0e07b9973ad.html

Is it any wonder "Montana" as a University and a sports program is developing a "rep" in Montana? And that Choate and Fish are seen as building classy programs?

I've always been an advocate of being "classy" to opposing teams, opposing coaches, opposing players, and especially towards our own teams, players, and especially departing players that, for one reason or another, did not find their dreams at the University of Montana. I think its just part of what makes a program "classy" in the eyes of athletes and the public.

What I find disgusting is "egrizzers" who revel in disdainful treatment of the kids that play or have played for this school.

rosco said:
MtTarheel said:
I disagree. Just many more opportunities with the roster numbers.
It's amazing how many of these Montana kids have played at the varsity level in several sports, typically football, basketball and track. But, when they move up to college, the numbers are in football. Gavin DeJong was something of an exception going into basketball.

In some ways, compared to kids from elsewhere who drive into just one sport, I've wondered if the Montana tradition of multiple high-school sports doesn't create a recruiting handicap compared to the kids who specialized.

UMGriz75 said:
Mavman said:
You mean, similar to this one:
A statement from head coach Jeff Choate stated: “We appreciate the contributions these young men made to the program, and wish them the best going forward.”
http://www.montanasports.com/2016/12/15/four-more-players-leave-msu-football-program/

Or this one:
“Shy let me know that he wants to continue his career elsewhere and I wish him the best,” Fish said. “I appreciate his contributions this year.”
http://billingsgazette.com/sports/college/big-sky-conference/montana-state-university/basketball-mens/blake-leaves-montana-state-basketball-team/article_e82944c0-e18c-56c9-9b30-e0e07b9973ad.html

Is it any wonder "Montana" as a University and a sports program is developing a "rep" in Montana? And that Choate and Fish are seen as building classy programs?

I've always been an advocate of being "classy" to opposing teams, opposing coaches, opposing players, and especially towards our own teams, players, and especially departing players that, for one reason or another, did not find their dreams at the University of Montana. I think its just part of what makes a program "classy" in the eyes of athletes and the public.

What I find disgusting is "egrizzers" who revel in disdainful treatment of the kids that play or have played for this school.

Wrong again you are right about 7 out of 13 times.

UMGriz75 said:

Just because DeCuire hasn't been quoted in an article wishing DeJong the best doesn't mean it didn't happen. I swear some of you guys really love to try to stir up drama over nothing...

Besides, do you remember why DeJong ended up a Griz? He had committed to the Bobcats but their new coach made it pretty clear he wasn't wanted there anymore.

From this article:

“I committed to the Cats in January with Brad Huse, and then he lost his job,” DeJong said Wednesday. “The new coach (Brian Fish) didn’t really contact me, so I started talking to the Griz. They offered me what they called a recruited walk-on spot.

“It was kind of a crazy deal.”

Ghassan Nehme had the same thing happen to him with the new Cats coach.

From this article:

"It was my decision to get released," said Nehme, The Gazette's 5A-4A boys' basketball Player of the Year after averaging 27.1 points. "I didn't feel wanted anymore, and the coach (Fish) rarely called me. So it just wasn't a good fit anymore."

Interesting.... yet since you're obviously pissed that DeJong didn't get more playing time here you're going to claim Montana is developing a bad rep and Fish is building a classy program & has a good rep. :roll:

Now I'm not saying Fish isn't building a classy program...just pointing out how you conveniently forgot why DeJong ended up here. You'd be all over Griz coaches if they did that.

It is easy to put to rest the "Montana is building a bad rep" theory. I challenge as many egrizzers as possible to attend team camp or the advanced cage camp. Feel free to ask the parents, players, and high school coaches why they attend the camp, and what are their feelings about the camps, team, and coaches? Rest assure, you will hear glowing reviews.

Latest posts

Back