• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Gavin DeJong

Potomac Griz said:
Interesting.... yet since you're obviously pissed that DeJong didn't get more playing time here you're going to claim Montana is developing a bad rep and Fish is building a classy program & has a good rep.
Wow, somebody's got their panties in a bunch. I didn't say a word about DeJong getting more playing time. Not one word. How "obviously pissed" is that? Especially since I have commented on virtually every game thread so far this year, and never uttered a single word to that effect. Must have been awesome self control, right? Somebody's got an agenda. I didn't even bring up the subject of the "press release." I responded to the usual trolling remarks about it.

I have said that I think it is simply classy to say something positive about departing student athletes and wish them well. Most programs do it as a matter of policy. I happen to note that MSU apparently does it as a matter of policy, and that, to the general public, it looks "classy." Acting like the kid left under a cloud, and must not be named, looks amateurish and unprofessional. We need more of that at UM, right?

UMGriz75 said:
I have said that I think it is simply classy to say something positive about departing student athletes and wish them well.

There hasn't even been an article anywhere that I could find about DeJong leaving,so not much opportunity for DeCuire to be quoted saying something positive and wishing him well. The only mention that I've seen is in the "NOTES" section about the Pepperdine game on the Missoulian's site.

UMGriz75 said:
Is it any wonder "Montana" as a University and a sports program is developing a "rep" in Montana? And that Choate and Fish are seen as building classy programs?

So what type of "rep" is Montana developing and what are you basing that statement on?

Potomac Griz said:
There hasn't even been an article anywhere that I could find about DeJong leaving,so not much opportunity for DeCuire to be quoted saying something positive and wishing him well. The only mention that I've seen is in the "NOTES" section about the Pepperdine game on the Missoulian's site.
Well, what are you trying to make a mountain out of here? My being "obviously pissed" when I said no such thing, or that he is or is not gone?

Man, aside from game threads, it seems that whenever a thread goes into three pages it just turns into trash. Mostly on the football board, but you guys can't help but feed the trolls no matter where they turn up.

Again, I hoped Gavin would blossom for the Griz, but I am excited to see how his next step turns out! Glad we had him for as long as we did!

UMGriz75 said:
Potomac Griz said:
Interesting.... yet since you're obviously pissed that DeJong didn't get more playing time here you're going to claim Montana is developing a bad rep and Fish is building a classy program & has a good rep.
Wow, somebody's got their panties in a bunch. I didn't say a word about DeJong getting more playing time. Not one word. How "obviously pissed" is that? Especially since I have commented on virtually every game thread so far this year, and never uttered a single word to that effect. Must have been awesome self control, right? Somebody's got an agenda. I didn't even bring up the subject of the "press release." I responded to the usual trolling remarks about it.

I have said that I think it is simply classy to say something positive about departing student athletes and wish them well. Most programs do it as a matter of policy. I happen to note that MSU apparently does it as a matter of policy, and that, to the general public, it looks "classy." Acting like the kid left under a cloud, and must not be named, looks amateurish and unprofessional. We need more of that at UM, right?
Student athletes leave programs all the time. I think that if its mid-season there may be issues or problems that both parties would prefer kept quiet. Not saying something positive or wishing well in no way determines if a program is "classy" or not.

:clap:
PeauxRouge said:
Man, aside from game threads, it seems that whenever a thread goes into three pages it just turns into trash. Mostly on the football board, but you guys can't help but feed the trolls no matter where they turn up.

Again, I hoped Gavin would blossom for the Griz, but I am excited to see how his next step turns out! Glad we had him for as long as we did!

rosco said:
Student athletes leave programs all the time. I think that if its mid-season there may be issues or problems that both parties would prefer kept quiet. Not saying something positive or wishing well in no way determines if a program is "classy" or not.
Exactly! That's why an appropriate gesture of public appreciation and best wishes is important. Most Universities have the policy. It eliminates EXACTLY the kind of innuendo you just described. It does, in fact, describe a "classy" program. Read your comment again.

PeauxRouge said:
I did too. I always appreciate the efforts and dreams of UM student athletes. UM can give him the same best wishes. Not doing so is simply petty.

PeauxRouge said:
Man, aside from game threads, it seems that whenever a thread goes into three pages it just turns into trash. Mostly on the football board, but you guys can't help but feed the trolls no matter where they turn up!

Normally I wouldn't respond but I really didn't like the shot at the reputation of Griz athletics and what DeCuire is building here. So had to say something :)

Players leave teams for various reasons and often it's not something as drama laden or controversial as some posters make it out to be, especially when it's a walk on who was not getting much playing time.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how Gavin does wherever he ends up. It's always nice to keep up on how former Griz athletes are doing with their new teams. I'm sure 99.9% of the people here (and all the coaches and players of course) wish them the best of luck wherever they end up even if their best wishes haven't ended up in an article yet.

I'm very enthusiastic about what DeCuire is building here with his recruits, the type of schedules we've had, and the energy he brings to Griz basketball. Judging by the recruits he's bringing in and the relationships he and his assistants have forged with those recruits I'd say the reputation of Griz basketball is in very good shape right now :)

Potomac Griz said:
PeauxRouge said:
Man, aside from game threads, it seems that whenever a thread goes into three pages it just turns into trash. Mostly on the football board, but you guys can't help but feed the trolls no matter where they turn up!

Normally I wouldn't respond but I really didn't like the shot at the reputation of Griz athletics and what DeCuire is building here. So had to say something :)

Players leave teams for various reasons and often it's not something as drama laden or controversial as some posters make it out to be, especially when it's a walk on who was not getting much playing time.
Nobody said this was controversial except you. I know exactly what happened, and I know exactly what UM's policy is about it. I object to it. And precisely because it does not advance the reputation of UM athletics.

Let the kids leave with a positive endorsement and best wishes. It is the "classy" approach.

You disagree. Simply say so.

UMGriz75 said:
rosco said:
Exactly! That's why an appropriate gesture of public appreciation and best wishes is important. Most Universities have the policy. It eliminates EXACTLY the kind of innuendo you just described. It does, in fact, describe a "classy" program. Read your comment again.
Read my comment again. The "best wishes" on departing in no way determines if a school is "classy" or not. Sorry to disappoint you but it happens all the time.

rosco said:
UMGriz75 said:
rosco said:
Read my comment again. The "best wishes" on departing in no way determines if a school is "classy" or not. Sorry to disappoint you but it happens all the time.
Well, we disagree. I think all athletes departing honorably deserve a public pat on the back for wanting to play for the University of Montana, and for having devoted hours of sweat and time to do so.

You don't think they do. "Classy" is an accumulation of behaviors, large and small. The small ones are the easiest to achieve. The failure to do so begs the question, "why not?"

We have perhaps a fundamental difference of opinion about "sports."

Your "opinion" incidentally, does not "disappoint" me. Many so-called fans believe the student athletes are here for their entertainment, and not here to have the positive sport experience to build their own better lives. Color me "jaded" to those kinds of "opinions."

My opinion comes from the experience of my son that played college basketball for 2 years at one school then left to transfer to another. There were no well wishes or pat on the back needed or expected. Great school and his in no way made it less "classy".

kyle_sample said:
I've covered three school and none of them have a policy on how to handle these types of situations.
Both MSU and UM do, in fact, have policies on the matter. They are different policies, but nevertheless they have them.

Any organization worth its salt has "policies" for these kinds of things. Irrespective of the merit of the policy, they have them.

rosco said:
My opinion comes from the experience of my son that played college basketball for 2 years at one school then left to transfer to another. There were no well wishes or pat on the back needed or expected. Great school and his in no way made it less "classy".
Your perspective on what is "classy" or not may be the problem.

MSU invariably thanks departing athletes. To the general public, it appears gracious. It is, in fact, evidence of professionalism. In part, UM suffers from a public that accepts mediocrity; and is paying the price. This one is a small point, but "class" is evidenced by the accumulation of small points.

Perhaps you don't, but in my experience, you always thank people that tried to do a good job for you.

You and I have different perspectives on sport and sportsmanship, no doubt based on different life experiences, and in particular at the University level. We simply disagree on the point.

UMGriz75 said:
Potomac Griz said:
So what type of "rep" is Montana developing and what are you basing that statement on?
Have you been locked in an airtight room the past six years?
Perhaps you should let this go and move on. Potomac makes some compelling points and does so without hurling insults. :thumb:

GrizWhiz said:
UMGriz75 said:
Potomac Griz said:
Have you been locked in an airtight room the past six years?
Perhaps you should let this go and move on. Potomac makes some compelling points and does so without hurling insults. :thumb:
I read this "compelling point:"
Potomac Griz wrote:
Since I have never once even referenced DeJong's lack of playing time, or expressed anything remotely close to being "obviously pissed" about the lack of it, I'd have to note that your perspective rewards false accusations and promotes dishonesty.

I have no idea why some of you people feel a need to fabricate accusations just to stir up a thread topic. This is a difference of opinion. The usual trolls had to stir it up by wondering about the "lack of press release." OK, bring it up yet again, let's discuss it. This is a good example. A good kid, worked hard, has a Montana following, left out of frustration. There's a choice of ways to treat it from a program standpoint. MSU follows one policy, UM another. Gavin represents a good example of the differences in the way the two schools publicly treat their departing athletes, since MSU recently had a similar departure.

Potomac Griz decided he needed to inflame the discussion by adding an outright and egregious lie with no basis whatsoever to a difference of opinion on a University public relations policy.

Some of you habitually do that, for whatever reasons.

Latest posts

Back