• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Good, Bad, and Ugly

PlayerRep said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
PlayerRep said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Except that the Griz can play more nickel and not rely upon the safties in the same way. The problems that Poly presented and took advantage of are not the same as the EWU offense will present. Once again, Poly presents unique matchups that no one else does.

Kem is right. EWU will put way more pressure on the safeties, as well as corners, than CP did. Great receivers and a great passing team are very difficult to defend all game long. Against running teams that throw occasionally, safeties and secondary need to have huge discipline in defending the pass. In man coverage, first responsibility is to cover your man, because if you don't, you give up long passes and TD's if the running team have an accurate or semi-accurate qb. in zone, first responsibility is to keep all receivers in or adjacent to your zone in front of you.

Good to know that the safeties responsibilities against a scheme like Poly are the same as they would be against a scheme like EWU. Also good to know that the Griz defensive scheme overall would be the same. Thanks for the knowledge PR.

Safeties' responsibilities, except in the rare occasion they are not in pass coverage or possibly in inverted zone, are always to stay with their man, or stay deeper than receivers in their zone or adjacent thereto. Otherwise, their man is left open for a long pass. Why is that so hard for you to understand?

And the scheme of the team or the defense has nothing to do with what I just said.

What "pressure" do you think CP put on our safety who let his man run past him for an easy TD? If the safety had let Kupp run past him, would that make you feel better or worse? By the way, I really like that particular safety, even though that was a mistake.

This. My first responsibility as a safety was to never let a receiver get behind me. Griz safeties haven't quite figured that one out. Eastern and NAU are going to torch us if they don't clean that up quickly.

HelenaHandBasket said:
PlayerRep said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
PlayerRep said:
Kem is right. EWU will put way more pressure on the safeties, as well as corners, than CP did. Great receivers and a great passing team are very difficult to defend all game long. Against running teams that throw occasionally, safeties and secondary need to have huge discipline in defending the pass. In man coverage, first responsibility is to cover your man, because if you don't, you give up long passes and TD's if the running team have an accurate or semi-accurate qb. in zone, first responsibility is to keep all receivers in or adjacent to your zone in front of you.

Good to know that the safeties responsibilities against a scheme like Poly are the same as they would be against a scheme like EWU. Also good to know that the Griz defensive scheme overall would be the same. Thanks for the knowledge PR.

Safeties' responsibilities, except in the rare occasion they are not in pass coverage or possibly in inverted zone, are always to stay with their man, or stay deeper than receivers in their zone or adjacent thereto. Otherwise, their man is left open for a long pass. Why is that so hard for you to understand?

And the scheme of the team or the defense has nothing to do with what I just said.

What "pressure" do you think CP put on our safety who let his man run past him for an easy TD? If the safety had let Kupp run past him, would that make you feel better or worse? By the way, I really like that particular safety, even though that was a mistake.

You should probably look at what the Griz were doing with the safeties yesterday then.

Actually, you should do the looking. No safety can ever abandon his pass responsibility, if he has it, on any play. The responsibility lasts until you know that there is no possibility of a pass.

Strong was being brought in. He had 11 tackles. Otherwise, the secondary had very few tackles. Sanders had 1 unassisted tackle. Sanders has outside responsibility a bit, but not if there was a pass play.

PlayerRep said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
PlayerRep said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

You should probably look at what the Griz were doing with the safeties yesterday then.

Actually, you should do the looking. No safety can ever abandon his pass responsibility, if he has it, on any play. The responsibility lasts until you know that there is no possibility of a pass.

Strong was being brought in. He had 11 tackles. Otherwise, the secondary had very few tackles. Sanders had 1 unassisted tackle. Sanders has outside responsibility a bit, but not if there was a pass play.

As an outside observer and an expert in the game of football, I think HHB wins this one. Safety responsibilities are much different when playing the triple option.

As far as if it was Brady who chose to over use JLM....Bob surely can tell him on sidelines not to. That's on Stitt. On SUU...better shore up some stuff on defense, remember Poly wasn't in top half of conference predictions and they took the Griz apart, especially in passing game

yeager_fan said:
PlayerRep said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
PlayerRep said:

As an outside observer and an expert in the game of football, I think HHB wins this one. Safety responsibilities are much different when playing the triple option.

That's not the discussion being had. Everyone knows that safeties' responsibilities are different when playing different types of offenses. The point being discussed relate to pass responsibility. If a safety had pass responsibility, whether man or zone (especially deep zone), then that is the safety's first responsibility. If the safety abandons or blows his pass responsibility, the receiver gets open and a good qb usually finds him. Do you disagree?

Do you think playing against a great passing team like EWU, and great receivers like Kupp, are easy for safeties? Give me the triple option any day over that Kupp et al.

Of course a safety in man has pass first responsibility. Any 6 year-old Little Grizzly could explain that, even if they never actually play in a game.

But that's why Poly is so damn difficult to play. They necessarily pull you out of your primary responsibility because you are forced to cheat. Does ANYONE believe eastern will run the ball well enough that the Griz secondary begins to cheat up to stop it? Of course not. You can't use the Poly game to speculate on how the Griz secondary will handle a traditional passing offense.

EverettGriz said:
Of course a safety in man has pass first responsibility. Any 6 year-old Little Grizzly could explain that, even if they never actually play in a game.

But that's why Poly is so damn difficult to play. They necessarily pull you out of your primary responsibility because you are forced to cheat. Does ANYONE believe eastern will run the ball well enough that the Griz secondary begins to cheat up to stop it? Of course not. You can't use the Poly game to speculate on how the Griz secondary will handle a traditional passing offense.

HHH doesn't seem to understand that. Note that in my first post on the subject, I said it takes discipline for the safety/secondary to stick with their pass responsibility on each play until it ends. Cheating is not what is supposed to be done. Cheating will lead to long passes and TD's. Yes, you can in fact use the CP game to get some indication of where the secondary is now. There was some lack of discipline. And you are correct, mistakes in defending the pass game against CP does not mean that UM can't or won't defend other passing teams well.

Look at the defense of the last long pass (TD). What do you think happened? The receiver came right at the defender, who happened to be a safety.

I didn't get the sense Sanders was 100% to start the game. Hasn't played a game since last season, & given he had come out prior to the last TD due to cramping, not surprising they went after him. What I was surprised about was not seeing more of Sandry to help in run support. Was he not 100% as well?

PlayerRep said:
yeager_fan said:
PlayerRep said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

That's not the discussion being had. Everyone knows that safeties' responsibilities are different when playing different types of offenses. The point being discussed relate to pass responsibility. If a safety had pass responsibility, whether man or zone (especially deep zone), then that is the safety's first responsibility. If the safety abandons or blows his pass responsibility, the receiver gets open and a good qb usually finds him. Do you disagree?

Do you think playing against a great passing team like EWU, and great receivers like Kupp, are easy for safeties? Give me the triple option any day over that Kupp et al.

No, HHB stated that the pressure will be less not playing the triple option. You said their responsibilities will be the same (pass first). I agree with HHB on this one. Triple option, a lot of time, requires safeties to support the alleys and become run first players and I am guessing that is how the Griz played it. That is a lot of pressure on the safeties to make the correct reads every play. I bet that the CP TD pass plays were off play-action and the safeties triggered to the run and the ball got thrown over him? That is an extremely hard play to make as a safety and that pressure to make those reads will be gone this week against EWU. I think those were the points that HHB was trying to make and I agree with him.

I don't think that Kupp will be easy for safeties, but they don't have to worry about the run game as much this week. Not nearly as much as last week. For that reason, I think the EWU offense will be easier for the safeties this week than the triple option.

yeager_fan said:
PlayerRep said:
yeager_fan said:
PlayerRep said:

No, HHB stated that the pressure will be less not playing the triple option. You said their responsibilities will be the same (pass first). I agree with HHB on this one. Triple option, a lot of time, requires safeties to support the alleys and become run first players and I am guessing that is how the Griz played it. That is a lot of pressure on the safeties to make the correct reads every play. I bet that the CP TD pass plays were off play-action and the safeties triggered to the run and the ball got thrown over him? That is an extremely hard play to make as a safety and that pressure to make those reads will be gone this week against EWU. I think those were the points that HHB was trying to make and I agree with him.

I don't think that Kupp will be easy for safeties, but they don't have to worry about the run game as much this week. Not nearly as much as last week. For that reason, I think the EWU offense will be easier for the safeties this week than the triple option.

Nope. It's not about "pressure". It's about discipline. Following your keys, and listening to and believing in your coaches. You appear not to understand the game or secondary play, and probably never played the game. Please stop with your nonsense. If you did play or coach, put your credentials up here so we can evaluate them. LIke I said, you are a fraud and obviously don't understand secondary play.

If a safety has pass responsibility (and anything other than short zone responsibility), it is NOT run first. It is PASS first.

Of course, CP threw passes off of play action. Jeez, what a dumb comment. They are not a drop back team. You obviously didn't even watch the game. You are a fraud.

Do you really not understand what secondary DISCIPLINE means?

You are so out to lunch, you don't even know who UM plays this week and when they play EWU.

One of the things I enjoy about egriz is exposing total frauds like yourself.

Griz2k said:
PlayerRep said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
PlayerRep said:

This. My first responsibility as a safety was to never let a receiver get behind me. Griz safeties haven't quite figured that one out. Eastern and NAU are going to torch us if they don't clean that up quickly.[/quote/]

The pass to Prothroe was a true blown coverage in that neither safety knew which one was responsible for the middle of the field. Yamen Sanders should not have been in the game on the last TD. He went down with a bad cramp a few minutes earlier and he clearly could not run with the receiver because of the injury. Could one of the backup safeties covered the receiver? No way to know. But Sanders had no business being back there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bitterrootobserver said:
The Griz will need a better game this week against SUU. Right now EWU, SUU and Cal Poly have to be the top 3 teams in the Big Sky.

You can add NAU to the list, making it a top four, as long as Crokus gets healthy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PlayerRep said:
yeager_fan said:
PlayerRep said:
yeager_fan said:

Nope. It's not about "pressure". It's about discipline. Following your keys, and listening to and believing in your coaches. You appear not to understand the game or secondary play, and probably never played the game. Please stop with your nonsense. If you did play or coach, put your credentials up here so we can evaluate them. LIke I said, you are a fraud and obviously don't understand secondary play.

If a safety has pass responsibility (and anything other than short zone responsibility), it is NOT run first. It is PASS first.

Of course, CP threw passes off of play action. Jeez, what a dumb comment. They are not a drop back team. You obviously didn't even watch the game. You are a fraud.

You are so out to lunch, you don't even know who UM plays this week and when they play EWU.

I played through college and have coached ever since. (about 15 years) I have been around the game for quite some time since my dad was a coach. Those are my credentials, what are yours?

You not understanding the importance of run support with safeties when playing a triple option team makes me wonder what you know. HHB was making the point that the safeties had more to deal with when facing CP was a point I agreed with. I guess you know more than both of us, so whatever.

You are correct, I don't know when the Griz play EWU. I guess that makes me a fraud.

If you want to know how to stop the Triple Option, call the Fargodome. Their safeties set records for solo tackles when they play the likes of Georgia Southern. Games in which big pass plays were made over the middle. I guess they decided to send their safeties to the run more against that team. Hmmmmm... seemed to have worked out. It is called a defensive scheme, you should check it out sometime.

I am truly curious about your credentials, because you amaze me on this board.

yeager_fan said:
PlayerRep said:
yeager_fan said:
PlayerRep said:

I played through college and have coached ever since. (about 15 years) I have been around the game for quite some time since my dad was a coach. Those are my credentials, what are yours?

You not understanding the importance of run support with safeties when playing a triple option team makes me wonder what you know. HHB was making the point that the safeties had more to deal with when facing CP was a point I agreed with. I guess you know more than both of us, so whatever.

You are correct, I don't know when the Griz play EWU. I guess that makes me a fraud.

If you want to know how to stop the Triple Option, call the Fargodome. Their safeties set records for solo tackles when they play the likes of Georgia Southern. Games in which big pass plays were made over the middle. I guess they decided to send their safeties to the run more against that team. Hmmmmm... seemed to have worked out. It is called a defensive scheme, you should check it out sometime.

I am truly curious about your credentials, because you amaze me on this board.

Sorry, don't believe you. I see you are a Bison fan.

Did you even watch the game? From what you said, can't imagine you did.

I played defensive back on a top 20 D-I team. Started and all-conference. Tell us more about your supposed playing career.

I know what run support is, and I also know that defending the pass is almost always the what a safety needs to do first. I know what the triple option is and played against triple option/single wing/play action teams a heck of lot more times than you ever did.

There are at least 16 current or former coaches in my family and my wife's family. Multiple relatives played football for the Griz, including my dad. A football stadium in MT is named after my father in law.

Where did you play college football. What position? Where do you coach? What did your dad coach?

I also talked to Semore, Shann and JB in the past week. Probably will talk to them again in coming days. You probably don't even know who they are, do you?

Like a I said, you are a fraud. You don't live in MT. You don't want the Griz games. And guess is that you are a huge liar.

PlayerRep said:
kemajic said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
bitterrootobserver said:
The Griz will need a better game this week against SUU. Right now EWU, SUU and Cal Poly have to be the top 3 teams in the Big Sky.

I have more confidence in the Griz after yesterday than I did after either of the first 2 games. We just have to see if the offense can play with the same consistency.
So after the CPSLO game, you have more confidence in the Griz defense than you did before. That is interesting. Forget the 42 points, 431 yards and uncontested TD passes.

I agree with your comment, Kem. How can anyone have more confidence in the defense after yesterday.? I still like the defense and Semore, but it appears that the anointment of the defense and Semore was a bit premature. On the other hand, I still feel very good about the team and its potential, both this year and beyond. Good to see the offense and BG have 2 very good halves. Will they get there this year, or next year, who knows. But it will be fun to watch them play and progress.

Take out the two blown coverages, the DE's inability to seal the frikken edges (unless Semore made the calls for them to go inside instead of containment?!), the two fumbles and Semore's anointment wouldn't be in question?

UMcheer2000 said:
PlayerRep said:
kemajic said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
I have more confidence in the Griz after yesterday than I did after either of the first 2 games. We just have to see if the offense can play with the same consistency.
So after the CPSLO game, you have more confidence in the Griz defense than you did before. That is interesting. Forget the 42 points, 431 yards and uncontested TD passes.

I agree with your comment, Kem. How can anyone have more confidence in the defense after yesterday.? I still like the defense and Semore, but it appears that the anointment of the defense and Semore was a bit premature. On the other hand, I still feel very good about the team and its potential, both this year and beyond. Good to see the offense and BG have 2 very good halves. Will they get there this year, or next year, who knows. But it will be fun to watch them play and progress.

Take out the two blown coverages, the DE's inability to seal the frikken edges (unless Semore made the calls for them to go inside instead of containment?!), the two fumbles and Semore's anointment wouldn't be in question?

Is this a joke comment? Blown coverages, and failure to seal the edge against an option team? How many plays went wide. 20? Maybe you should have said, had there not been 42 points, 3 TD passes, and hundreds of yards of gains on the ground, Semore's anointment wouldn't have been in question.

PlayerRep said:
Hey, where is that big mouth fraud Bison fan, Yeager?

I'm the big mouth? Look in the mirror lately? And I am not a liar, but go ahead and call me one if it makes you feel better.

Impressive resume you have there. I see one thing that is missing; coaching. Playing is much different than coaching, so I see how you are struggling to understand how I agreed with HHB that the triple option presents more challenges for the safeties than the EWU offense. Whatever, I guess my defense would look different than yours. Maybe you should bring this conversation to the Griz coaches meeting so they handle the triple option a little better next time.

I did play in college. Started for three years. Not at the D-1 level, but most people on here would agree that you don't play a lower level because you don't know as much, but because I was not big or fast enough for the next level.

You forgot one thing on your resume; name-dropper. I bet the coaches that you know really discuss a lot of game planning with you. Let me play this game. I am friends with Carson Wentz's brother, therefore I know the Eagles game plan against the Steelers. You are correct, that does feel good to say that.

Anyway, thanks for being you. I love reading your stuff. Big fan.

While this pissing match is certainly enjoyable, the two turnovers put way too much pressure on the defense and absolutely killed us. The blown deep coverage didn't help, but take away those turnovers, and I think our defense actually played OK against a really tough offense. Of course, you can't take away the turnovers.

big kahuna said:
While this pissing match is certainly enjoyable, the two turnovers put way too much pressure on the defense and absolutely killed us. The blown deep coverage didn't help, but take away those turnovers, and I think our defense actually played OK against a really tough offense. Of course, you can't take away the turnovers.
Griz D just needed one stop for a field goal off the turnovers.

Back