• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Gregorak

Hammer said:
PhxGriz said:
447 yards (280 rushing) allowed against one of "the best" defensive fronts in the nation.

We won't talk about his failings last year.

Guy is bailed out by quality players.

I have said it from the start. Fire that guy.

You are a total moron!

Firing Coach Ty now? No. Let's see how he does in the BSC and the playoffs. Nobody that the Griz will play this year can run the ball or play D like NDSU. While I don't feel celebrating a defensive performance where almost 300 yards were in gained on the ground is warranted either, the Griz D was on the field a long time. In any event, it was the NDSU defense that was the star of the day. That was an extremely dominating performance. NDSU has a D to try to emulate. Wow.....

Did the defense play great today?....nope

Did the defense do enough to keep the Griz in the game?...yep

Did the offense do enough to win the game?...nope

Do the Griz have one of the best defensive fronts in the nation?...not so sure

In spite of the yearly excuses of a young, inexperienced O-line, maybe JJ isn't as good as you all seem to believe. Doesn't run like he used to (coaching issue?), and seems to ignore open receivers in favor of predetermined covered receivers. It's a given that the his view is very different on the field, but I'm worried that this is not going to get that much better. I hate to admit this, but the damn Cats looked pretty good today. Pretty sick offense right now.

PhxGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
BWahlberg said:
Seeing the thread title I knew what to expect but I've got to say I've been nicely impressed with the replies and mostly balanced opinions and follow ups. The defense isn't perfect but it's improving and did all it could to keep the Griz in the game today. Gregorak and his players are improving from season to season - I like what I'm seeing.

I think it's the best UM defense in 4 or 5 years.

I started the thread and I agree, so why did we get gashed so bad?

If I may tell a little story. I played 6 man football and once asked our coach why we ran it up the gut instead of isolating our 200 meter state champ and throwing the ball. I was told when I was coach, I could make the plays.

Gregorak wants to run it up the gut.

The defense didn't get gashed. No team has held NDSU to less than 22 points for 2 full years, i.e. the time of their long win streak. After looking at the stats, especially number of plays, TOP and 3 and outs and short drives by the UM offense, I'm starting to think the performance of the defense was outstanding.

grizindabox said:
Did the defense play great today?....nope

Did the defense do enough to keep the Griz in the game?...yep

Did the offense do enough to win the game?...nope

Do the Griz have one of the best defensive fronts in the nation?...not so sure

The defense was very good today. Maybe outstanding. No team has held NDSU to less than 22 points during its long win streak. What is it? 29 games? No playoff team got within 20 points of NDSU in 2013.

Dannyboy03867 said:
This is a little off the subject here, but is it just me or does it seem like our linebackers shoot to a spot at times almost hoping to guess where the RB is going to cut rather than keeping their eyes on them and then exploding through RB. I see Kose do this frequently and take horrible angles at times. I'm not trying to badmouth the LB play as I know they are young and are already developing into very good players. Watching the NDSU defense is fun. Every defensive player is always in their gap and gets off their blocks. The sky is not falling in IMHO Fellow Griz fans :thumb:

he is a good tackler, did see him over pursue a few times today instead of holding the gap. i.e. lots of possession (time and first downs) up the middle today.....Kose is the middle lb.

ndsu is a well oil machine against a tough defense and to watch their pursuit, gap coverage and stunts on d today was quite impressive as well........hurt jj though

PlayerRep said:
PhxGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
BWahlberg said:
Seeing the thread title I knew what to expect but I've got to say I've been nicely impressed with the replies and mostly balanced opinions and follow ups. The defense isn't perfect but it's improving and did all it could to keep the Griz in the game today. Gregorak and his players are improving from season to season - I like what I'm seeing.

If I may tell a little story. I played 6 man football and once asked our coach why we ran it up the gut instead of isolating our 200 meter state champ and throwing the ball. I was told when I was coach, I could make the plays.

The defense didn't get gashed. No team has held NDSU to less than 22 points for 2 full years, i.e. the time of their long win streak. After looking at the stats, especially number of plays, TOP and 3 and outs and short drives by the UM offense, I'm starting to think the performance of the defense was outstanding.

how many yards defines gashed and not gashed?

Sad...I remember when moral victories were for the other guys. What a way to start excusing poor play by the offense and a defense that gives up 6 yards a carry. But if moral victories is what we want instead of real, season defining, ass kicking big games then I guess we got 'em. I just miss the days when expectations were for wins, not for "only" getting beat by a smaller margin then some other chumps.

zirge said:
Dannyboy03867 said:
This is a little off the subject here, but is it just me or does it seem like our linebackers shoot to a spot at times almost hoping to guess where the RB is going to cut rather than keeping their eyes on them and then exploding through RB. I see Kose do this frequently and take horrible angles at times. I'm not trying to badmouth the LB play as I know they are young and are already developing into very good players. Watching the NDSU defense is fun. Every defensive player is always in their gap and gets off their blocks. The sky is not falling in IMHO Fellow Griz fans :thumb:

he is a good tackler, did see him over pursue a few times today instead of holding the gap. i.e. lots of possession (time and first downs) up the middle today.....Kose is the middle lb.

ndsu is a well oil machine against a tough defense and to watch their pursuit, gap coverage and stunts on d today was quite impressive as well........hurt jj though

Huh? The linebackers were our 3 leading tacklers today. Kose had 16, including 10 solo.

RABIDAWG said:
In spite of the yearly excuses of a young, inexperienced O-line, maybe JJ isn't as good as you all seem to believe. Doesn't run like he used to (coaching issue?), and seems to ignore open receivers in favor of predetermined covered receivers. It's a given that the his view is very different on the field, but I'm worried that this is not going to get that much better. I hate to admit this, but the damn Cats looked pretty good today. Pretty sick offense right now.

So you watched the Cat game instead of the Griz game? JJ played well today.

PlayerRep said:
zirge said:
Dannyboy03867 said:

Huh? The linebackers were our 3 leading tacklers today. Kose had 16, including 10 solo.

i didn't say he did not make any tackles......i saw what is saw and ndsu did have great success running the ball up the middle....take it for what it is and not what you think it is.

zirge said:
PlayerRep said:
zirge said:
Dannyboy03867 said:

i didn't say he did not make any tackles......i saw what is saw and ndsu did have great success running the ball up the middle....take it for what it is and not what you think it is.

Rest assured that I have already taken it for what it's worth.

grizindabox said:
PlayerRep said:
PhxGriz said:
PlayerRep said:

How about 5.1 yards per carry against the best front four in the FCS? Is that not what we have been saying?

PhxGriz said:
grizindabox said:
PlayerRep said:
PhxGriz said:

How about 5.1 yards per carry against the best front four in the FCS? Is that not what we have been saying?

Not particularly relevant. NDSU averages more than that per carry, so UM kept them below their average. NDSU ran for 6.9 yards per carry 302 yards against Iowa St. and 5.0 against Kansas St. What's important is scoring, TD's scored, and red zone defense.

PlayerRep said:
RABIDAWG said:

:lol: By what measure? He barely completed 50% of his throws, didn't sniff 200 yards, and lobbed up an embarrassing number of jump balls (one of which wound up being a critical INT in the end zone)! You need to pull your head out of your ass.

Cotton-eyed Hoe said:
PlayerRep said:
RABIDAWG said:

:lol: By what measure? He barely completed 50% of his throws, didn't sniff 200 yards, and lobbed up an embarrassing number of jump balls (one of which wound up being a critical INT in the end zone)! You need to pull your head out of your ass.

What game were you watching. JJ was very good. Made alot of plays. Was under considerable pressure. Avoided any sacks. Didn't lob up a bunch of jump balls. Made mostly good decisions.

PlayerRep said:
zirge said:
Dannyboy03867 said:

As my post says PR, I'm not trying to knock the LB play I'm simply stating something I seem to be seeing from game to game this year. I'm not talking about every play and from the inexperience our LB core has I expect mistakes to happen on occasion. It was an observation and I was wondering if anyone else noticed this. When it happens it is allowing the opossing player to gain a nice chunk of yardage because they leave there gap. Not trying to get in a pissing match. You need to seriously step away from this website and chill out. I've been reading this board for years but it's people like you that want to argue about every little thing that keeps people like me from posting on this site. Damn near every thread on here your trying to express how right you are and how wrong everyone else is. It's sad. I will continue to read this site from the background :roll:

Back