• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Gresch Jensen from my perspective

Yukon said:
reinell30 said:
I hated this injury to Reese deeply, made me sick! However, I predicted months ago, Gresch would be the starter by game Four. I see amazing talent in this kid. His poise will standout to everyone very soon. He is a leader that will get the job done. I believe the Griz are in very good hands with Gresch behind center.

My concern now however, is who do we have behind Gresch? If something happens to him, I do not believe Hill can run this offense.

I actually am confident we would be fine if something happened to Gresch. Hill would just change how the offense is run, IMO. If we got to Hill, I would also know that Simis is still ready if needed.

The Simis days as a Griz QB are long over.

PlayerRep said:
Jaredkuehn said:
It wasn't that long ago that Jensen and Phillips were still neck and neck for the starting job. Phillips stood out in the end, he had the maturity and intangibles that showed on the field. Let's not forget that we have one hell of a capable freshman QB that's groomed to take the helm. I could see some growing pains for the offense the next couple weeks, but by the end of the season I think we see Jensen mature into a great QB. I hope Reese can be on the sidelines next weekend. This may be the beginning of a great coaching career for him.

Not so sure that Jensen and Phillips have been neck and neck since at least last spring. Maybe on the message board, but not in the coaches' minds, is my impression.

Early spring they were but Phillips gradually outpaced Jensen, IMO

To me, the running plays looked more dynamic under Gresch. Did anyone see the same? Gresch does a lot more throw faking stuff before handing the ball off. Not to mention, he is way more inclined to keep the ball himself. The running game might benefit. I also really like Greschs ability to get the ball out fast on the bubble screens. His delivery is quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BWahlberg said:
PlayerRep said:
Jaredkuehn said:
It wasn't that long ago that Jensen and Phillips were still neck and neck for the starting job. Phillips stood out in the end, he had the maturity and intangibles that showed on the field. Let's not forget that we have one hell of a capable freshman QB that's groomed to take the helm. I could see some growing pains for the offense the next couple weeks, but by the end of the season I think we see Jensen mature into a great QB. I hope Reese can be on the sidelines next weekend. This may be the beginning of a great coaching career for him.

Not so sure that Jensen and Phillips have been neck and neck since at least last spring. Maybe on the message board, but not in the coaches' minds, is my impression.

Agree with Brint and PR. The competition was open until late fall in theory, but from Day 1 of Spring Ball got the vast majority of #1 reps. Phillips separated himself with his seniority and his leadership. Jensen did not lose based on understanding of the offense, for certain.

I think they have different types of arm strength. Phillips appears to have the better long-ball arm, though Jensen is not shabby in that department whatsoever. I think, and others have observed both on this board and in person at games and practices, that Jensen throws the out route or quick sideline pass a half second faster and on a dart.

If Jensen can get comfortable in a hurry, we are in very good shape. But you never know how anyone is going to play in their first extended playing time so nothing is certain. Coach Stitt has basically told Brint and I that Jensen has the highest ceiling of any QB he has ever coached, so I don't throw that around on here based on my observation alone.

Short term is not fair to predict but I think we will be alright, long term I fell strongly that Jensen will have a very good career in a good uniform.

blackfootipa said:
To me, the running plays looked more dynamic under Gresch. Did anyone see the same? Gresch does a lot more throw faking stuff before handing the ball off. Not to mention, he is way more inclined to keep the ball himself. The running game might benefit. I also really like Greschs ability to get the ball out fast on the bubble screens. His delivery is quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I felt the same way. The decision just seem quicker and crisper. But you also will get some freshman mistakes like when he hesitated on the delayed handoff and and fumbled but Lee I believe picked it up and got a few yards.

...fell bad for Phillips was looking better in each game..tough break!...Jensen was coming to UM regardless who was going to be the coach..both his parents went to UM so he has Griz in his blood!..so he could of had FBS offers...I think he will be fine there are lots of freshman QB playing in FCS/FBS..so this is not unusual able..he has a quick release and smarts and will keep on improving...can't wait to see his career take off regardless who's the coach is....

alabamagrizzly said:
PlayerRep said:
alabamagrizzly said:
PlayerRep said:
Not sure I agree with comments that Jensen has/had the highest ceiling comment. Don't know how that could be determined at this point of his career.

It can't be determined because the point of the comment is it's a prediction. Highest ceiling means he still has a lot more potential to fulfill. Phillips being a Sr, had almost maxed his potential as a college QB. Gresch, being a RSFr and close to where Phillips is already, could have a much higher ceiling with 3+ more years to play as a college QB.

Agree to some extent, but not fully. Jensen will never have as good of a throwing arm as Phillips. Phillips was recruited by SEC schools out of high school; Jensen wasn't. Phillips never got on the field due a torn achilles injury and changing coaches (and perhaps also ability). I think he was going to reach a very high ceiling this year, based on what I had seen of him, especially in the first 3 games.

Your first two points are debatable. You can't say Gresch will never have as good a throwing arm because mechanics can be taught. Also, Reese went to Kentucky, arguably they are SEC only thanks to the BBall team. He was also a very good high school QB (3 star) in the south. Gresch was a 3 star in the pacific NW and was going to Montana no matter what as long as he got the schollie. He committed very early and very well may have let other teams know to not waste their time on him. Also, to be fair, two of Reese's games were against Valpo and Savanna St, not exactly the cream of the crop. Granted, he did look fairly decent against UDub but that game was a wash from kickoff.

You are welcome to debate my points, but not only can I say what I did, I am going to say it again. Jensen will never be able to throw the ball as well as Phillips nor will he have the arm strength or ability to throw it as far as Phillips. That doesn't mean that Jensen won't be a better qb.

I have watched both of them in many practices, scrimmages and now games. In person. You haven't. You seem to have almost no basis for saying what you are saying.

grzz said:
BWahlberg said:
PlayerRep said:
Jaredkuehn said:

Agree with Brint and PR. The competition was open until late fall in theory, but from Day 1 of Spring Ball got the vast majority of #1 reps. Phillips separated himself with his seniority and his leadership. Jensen did not lose based on understanding of the offense, for certain.

I think they have different types of arm strength. Phillips appears to have the better long-ball arm, though Jensen is not shabby in that department whatsoever. I think, and others have observed both on this board and in person at games and practices, that Jensen throws the out route or quick sideline pass a half second faster and on a dart.

If Jensen can get comfortable in a hurry, we are in very good shape. But you never know how anyone is going to play in their first extended playing time so nothing is certain. Coach Stitt has basically told Brint and I that Jensen has the highest ceiling of any QB he has ever coached, so I don't throw that around on here based on my observation alone.

Short term is not fair to predict but I think we will be alright, long term I fell strongly that Jensen will have a very good career in a good uniform.

Then, that is a very good data point. Hope Stitt is correct. While he has coached mainly at the D-II level, I believe one of this qb's went to the Broncos for a few years and assume he was including Phillips in his comments to you.

PlayerRep said:
alabamagrizzly said:
PlayerRep said:
alabamagrizzly said:
It can't be determined because the point of the comment is it's a prediction. Highest ceiling means he still has a lot more potential to fulfill. Phillips being a Sr, had almost maxed his potential as a college QB. Gresch, being a RSFr and close to where Phillips is already, could have a much higher ceiling with 3+ more years to play as a college QB.

Agree to some extent, but not fully. Jensen will never have as good of a throwing arm as Phillips. Phillips was recruited by SEC schools out of high school; Jensen wasn't. Phillips never got on the field due a torn achilles injury and changing coaches (and perhaps also ability). I think he was going to reach a very high ceiling this year, based on what I had seen of him, especially in the first 3 games.

Your first two points are debatable. You can't say Gresch will never have as good a throwing arm because mechanics can be taught. Also, Reese went to Kentucky, arguably they are SEC only thanks to the BBall team. He was also a very good high school QB (3 star) in the south. Gresch was a 3 star in the pacific NW and was going to Montana no matter what as long as he got the schollie. He committed very early and very well may have let other teams know to not waste their time on him. Also, to be fair, two of Reese's games were against Valpo and Savanna St, not exactly the cream of the crop. Granted, he did look fairly decent against UDub but that game was a wash from kickoff.

You are welcome to debate my points, but not only can I say what I did, I am going to say it again. Jensen will never be able to throw the ball as well as Phillips nor will he have the arm strength or ability to throw it as far as Phillips. That doesn't mean that Jensen won't be a better qb.

I have watched both of them in many practices, scrimmages and now games. In person. You haven't. You seem to have almost no basis for saying what you are saying.

No, no, no. I'm right and your wrong.

Why is it when some people on here begin losing a debate, they turn to insults. Defense mechanisms I guess.

So your saying Gresch can't learn to have better mechanics or get stronger over the next 3+ years? Ok, can't argue against ignorance.

alabamagrizzly said:
PlayerRep said:
alabamagrizzly said:
PlayerRep said:

Why is it when some people on here begin losing a debate, they turn to insults. Defense mechanisms I guess.

So your saying Gresch can't learn to have better mechanics or get stronger over the next 3+ years? Ok, can't argue against ignorance.

No insults from me. What are you talking about? Feel free to point out the insult. Borderline insults from you. You just proved your point. I disagree with you and then you came back with your first para, and calling me ignorant. Pretty funny.

No, I wasn't saying anything about improving mechanics or getting stronger. I said he would never be as good of a passer as Phillips and not have a stronger arm that would allow him to throw it further. Phillips has an incredible arm. Jeez, everyone close to the program or who has watched him a lot has said he has a super arm and is a gun slinger. That alone doesn't make him a good qb. Multiple other important ingredients. Phillips had to learn the offense and improve since he came to UM. The coaches say him to that. The fans have seen his throwing ability, and more, in the first 3 games.

Can you tell us what in Jensen's mechanics that can be improved, or that are off?

How many of the 3 games did you attend in person? How many practices did you attend this summer and last spring? How many scrimmages?

PlayerRep said:
alabamagrizzly said:
PlayerRep said:
alabamagrizzly said:

No insults from me. What are you talking about? Feel free to point out the insult. Borderline insults from you. You just proved your point. I disagree with you and then you came back with your first para, and calling me ignorant. Pretty funny.

No, I wasn't saying anything about improving mechanics or getting stronger. I said he would never be as good of a passer as Phillips and not have a stronger arm that would allow him to throw it further. Phillips has an incredible arm. Jeez, everyone close to the program or who has watched him a lot has said he has a super arm and is a gun slinger. That alone doesn't make him a good qb. Multiple other important ingredients. Phillips had to learn the offense and improve since he came to UM. The coaches say him to that. The fans have seen his throwing ability, and more, in the first 3 games.

Can you tell us what in Jensen's mechanics that can be improved, or that are off?

How many of the 3 games did you attend in person? How many practices did you attend this summer and last spring? How many scrimmages?

Sorry, I took this as an insult.
I took it as a very arrogant snooty remark.

As for his mechanics, I never stated they need improvement. I took your statement saying he'll never throw as well as Reese as meaning that his mechanics aren't as well as Reese's since you also stated he's not as strong. If that's not what you meant, then what exactly did you mean. As far as learning the system, both QB's have been in Stitt's system the same amount of time and Gresch played a similar system in high school. The reason in arm strength difference could very well be the 4 year age difference so to say that Gresch can't get stronger is not a fair statement.

As for attending practices and scrimmages, yes you do have that distinct advantage over me. I have watched all three games on tv though which gives me a much better view then you plus the added benefit of instant replays. And before you go to your bread and butter, I have played the game.

alabamagrizzly said:
PlayerRep said:
alabamagrizzly said:
PlayerRep said:

As for his mechanics, I never stated they need improvement. I took your statement saying he'll never throw as well as Reese as meaning that his mechanics aren't as well as Reese's since you also stated he's not as strong. If that's not what you meant, then what exactly did you mean. As far as learning the system, both QB's have been in Stitt's system the same amount of time and Gresch played a similar system in high school. The reason in arm strength difference could very well be the 4 year age difference so to say that Gresch can't get stronger is not a fair statement.

As for attending practices and scrimmages, yes you do have that distinct advantage over me. I have watched all three games on tv though which gives me a much better view then you plus the added benefit of instant replays. And before you go to your bread and butter, I have played the game.

That wasn't even close to an insult. Just a direct and accurate statement. If you want to think it was arrogant, that's okay with me. I am generally confident in what I post on egriz, and otherwise. If you can't take me responding to your posts, perhaps you shouldn't respond to mine.

Phillips has a beautiful throw and is incredibly accurate. Just don't think Jensen will ever be able to throw like Phillips. Sorry, it's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. I have seen them throw for distance multiple times. They do a drill after some practices. Just can't imagine that Jensen will be able to develop another 10 or 15 yards of distance. Again, that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Phillips and Jensen are only 3 years apart in high school.

Yes, attending practices, scrimmages and games in person is a big advantage. So is talking to the coaches. The video at the stadium has instant replay. Also, the tv's in the stadium club have instant replays, and often show both the direct camera feeds and what is put on tv. The boxes also have tv's. The box I was in for years, and still go to, has 5 tv's. I often tape the game and watch it again. I see video at qb club each week, and have coaches explaining the video and running it back and forth. I sat with 3 coaches at qb club last week.

But you are, of course, welcome to your opinion. What college did you play for? Montana?

griz5700 said:
I just can't believe what I saw yesterday. Phillips was off to a great start. Sucks.

Hey, you've got your built in excuse to continue your witch hunt now...

alabamagrizzly said:
I agree we are in good hands for the future. It also appears the future is now. The one question I have with Gresch is his lack of emotion after the play. A big part of that was the bitter-sweet of being in that situation to have the success due to a gruesome injury to your leader. I do see the fire in his eyes pre and mid play though and I like that. His only bad throw on sat was one that Lamerille Taylor should have fought a lot harder for. Granted it was Savanna St and next week will be trial by fire. As PR pointed out last night, Bergquist was our last Fr starting QB and he went 4-4 in his 8 starts with losses to EWU, MSU, and Cal Po in the first rd the playoffs at WGS. Gresch definitely has a lot of talent around him and the EWoo game is at home so hopefully that will help. Next week will definitely be a better measuring stick to where Gresch is at though.
Wasn't Trent McKinney the last freshman to start st QB?

catsack said:
alabamagrizzly said:
I agree we are in good hands for the future. It also appears the future is now. The one question I have with Gresch is his lack of emotion after the play. A big part of that was the bitter-sweet of being in that situation to have the success due to a gruesome injury to your leader. I do see the fire in his eyes pre and mid play though and I like that. His only bad throw on sat was one that Lamerille Taylor should have fought a lot harder for. Granted it was Savanna St and next week will be trial by fire. As PR pointed out last night, Bergquist was our last Fr starting QB and he went 4-4 in his 8 starts with losses to EWU, MSU, and Cal Po in the first rd the playoffs at WGS. Gresch definitely has a lot of talent around him and the EWoo game is at home so hopefully that will help. Next week will definitely be a better measuring stick to where Gresch is at though.
Wasn't Trent McKinney the last freshman to start st QB?
Yes, you are correct. Lost his job to Shay SH Midway through the season.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

:You know damn well Gresch is pouring over EWU footage this week. Sounds like he's a go getter and as sharp as can be. I can see this entire team supporting him and encouraging him.

PlayerRep said:
alabamagrizzly said:
PlayerRep said:
alabamagrizzly said:

That wasn't even close to an insult. Just a direct and accurate statement. If you want to think it was arrogant, that's okay with me. I am generally confident in what I post on egriz, and otherwise. If you can't take me responding to your posts, perhaps you shouldn't respond to mine.

Phillips has a beautiful throw and is incredibly accurate. Just don't think Jensen will ever be able to throw like Phillips. Sorry, it's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. I have seen them throw for distance multiple times. They do a drill after some practices. Just can't imagine that Jensen will be able to develop another 10 or 15 yards of distance. Again, that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Phillips and Jensen are only 3 years apart in high school.

Yes, attending practices, scrimmages and games in person is a big advantage. So is talking to the coaches. The video at the stadium has instant replay. Also, the tv's in the stadium club have instant replays, and often show both the direct camera feeds and what is put on tv. The boxes also have tv's. The box I was in for years, and still go to, has 5 tv's. I often tape the game and watch it again. I see video at qb club each week, and have coaches explaining the video and running it back and forth. I sat with 3 coaches at qb club last week.

But you are, of course, welcome to your opinion. What college did you play for? Montana?

I say it's safe to say we will agree to disagree. You believe Gresch will never reach Reese's throwing capability's and I say he might. Obviously your far more privileged then I and have more access to "inside info" so I guess that makes you the expert.

Quick question for clarification. I wasn't fortunate enough to play college ball. Does that mean I never played the game?

Seems like this whole argument on who's better and got a stronger arm is moot. Wish the best for Phillips! Truly, a class act! A team player, and it's terrible to see his football career end like this. I can imagine he'll be at Jensen's side to help out with his development. Jensen is going develop as the year goes on, and with his skills, could surprise us all this year, as he learns the offense. Seems like this arguing is futile and purely ego based by both of you. Let it go and support the next man up. Go Griz!

rocklobster said:
Seems like this whole argument on who's better and got a stronger arm is moot. Wish the best for Phillips! Truly, a class act! A team player, and it's terrible to see his football career end like this. I can imagine he'll be at Jensen's side to help out with his development. Jensen is going develop as the year goes on, and with his skills, could surprise us all this year, as he learns the offense. Seems like this arguing is futile and purely ego based by both of you. Let it go and support the next man up. Go Griz!

:thumb: No ego here. I just know PR loves to argue so I'm giving him something to entertain himself with. I realize neither of our opinions matter and that Gresch is going to have an amazing Griz career. I feel real bad for Reese. He is something special and was gonna lead this team back to greatness. I'm sure he's an amazing young man though and will have great success with the rest of his post football life.

Back