• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Gresch Jensen from my perspective

alabamagrizzly said:
rocklobster said:
Seems like this whole argument on who's better and got a stronger arm is moot. Wish the best for Phillips! Truly, a class act! A team player, and it's terrible to see his football career end like this. I can imagine he'll be at Jensen's side to help out with his development. Jensen is going develop as the year goes on, and with his skills, could surprise us all this year, as he learns the offense. Seems like this arguing is futile and purely ego based by both of you. Let it go and support the next man up. Go Griz!

:thumb: No ego here. I just know PR loves to argue so I'm giving him something to entertain himself with. I realize neither of our opinions matter and that Gresch is going to have an amazing Griz career. I feel real bad for Reese. He is something special and was gonna lead this team back to greatness. I'm sure he's an amazing young man though and will have great success with the rest of his post football life.
:thumb:

rocklobster said:
Seems like this whole argument on who's better and got a stronger arm is moot. Wish the best for Phillips! Truly, a class act! A team player, and it's terrible to see his football career end like this. I can imagine he'll be at Jensen's side to help out with his development. Jensen is going develop as the year goes on, and with his skills, could surprise us all this year, as he learns the offense. Seems like this arguing is futile and purely ego based by both of you. Let it go and support the next man up. Go Griz!

1st of all, Phillips is growing on me, as a player and person. Prior to his injury, I was sitting there astonished how sometimes he bailed his team out, with smart and unconventional plays. The kind of plays that don't show up in the stats much. A few times he flipped the ball to a RB or WR. Other times, he did just enough to get out of the tackle box and got rid of the ball in whatever way he could. He avoided costly penalties and sacks with heady and unconventional plays. He was reminding me of Aaron Rodgers, who will get rid of the ball in any way possible, and often make something out of nothing. That kind of heady play is rare. Also he seemed to be getting away from the "Gunslinger" mentality. By his actions, on and off the field, one can tell this kid is very appreciative of people and grateful. Reese is a 1st class person. I hope he can return this season. If not, I will be closely watching his interactions, if on the sidelines. I do hope he pursues a coaching career.

As for Jensen, it looks to me, he doesn't have much to learn of the offense. He seems to have the playbook down. I feel he just needs to learn his personnel, know their tendencies, strengths, and weaknesses. I hope he picks ups opponent defensive schemes and personnel quickly. That is often the biggest obstacle for FR and SO quarterbacks. Either way, I look forward to the development of both Phillips (as an off field leader), and Jensen (as the new young leader of this offense).

It is nice to have a good feeling about our QB depth. It's been a while since I've had a good comfort level with the GRIZ QB depth. :thumb:

Just for fun, it might be interesting to match Gresch's first few game stats with Dave Dickenson's.

Could be an interesting comparison.

mtgrizrule said:
rocklobster said:

1st of all, Phillips is growing on me, as a player and person. Prior to his injury, I was sitting there astonished how sometimes he bailed his team out, with smart and unconventional plays. The kind of plays that don't show up in the stats much. A few times he flipped the ball to a RB or WR. Other times, he did just enough to get out of the tackle box and got rid of the ball in whatever way he could. He avoided costly penalties and sacks with heady and unconventional plays. He was reminding me of Aaron Rodgers, who will get rid of the ball in any way possible, and often make something out of nothing. That kind of heady play is rare. Also he seemed to be getting away from the "Gunslinger" mentality. By his actions, on and off the field, one can tell this kid is very appreciative of people and grateful. Reese is a 1st class person. I hope he can return this season. If not, I will be closely watching his interactions, if on the sidelines. I do hope he pursues a coaching career.

As for Jensen, it looks to me, he doesn't have much to learn of the offense. He seems to have the playbook down. I feel he just needs to learn his personnel, know their tendencies, strengths, and weaknesses. I hope he picks ups opponent defensive schemes and personnel quickly. That is often the biggest obstacle for FR and SO quarterbacks. Either way, I look forward to the development of both Phillips (as an off field leader), and Jensen (as the new young leader of this offense).

It is nice to have a good feeling about our QB depth. It's been a while since I've had a good comfort level with the GRIZ QB depth. :thumb:

Great post!

...it's time for Jensen to light up EWU and start to let the thunder roll...he's got what it takes! Im not a big Stitt guy but this kid could make his system go..our defense well that's another story?

PlayerRep said:
alabamagrizzly said:
PlayerRep said:
alabamagrizzly said:
No, no, no. I'm right and your wrong.

Why is it when some people on here begin losing a debate, they turn to insults. Defense mechanisms I guess.

So your saying Gresch can't learn to have better mechanics or get stronger over the next 3+ years? Ok, can't argue against ignorance.

No insults from me. What are you talking about? Feel free to point out the insult. Borderline insults from you. You just proved your point. I disagree with you and then you came back with your first para, and calling me ignorant. Pretty funny.

No, I wasn't saying anything about improving mechanics or getting stronger. I said he would never be as good of a passer as Phillips and not have a stronger arm that would allow him to throw it further. Phillips has an incredible arm. Jeez, everyone close to the program or who has watched him a lot has said he has a super arm and is a gun slinger. That alone doesn't make him a good qb. Multiple other important ingredients. Phillips had to learn the offense and improve since he came to UM. The coaches say him to that. The fans have seen his throwing ability, and more, in the first 3 games.

Can you tell us what in Jensen's mechanics that can be improved, or that are off?

How many of the 3 games did you attend in person? How many practices did you attend this summer and last spring? How many scrimmages?

Sorry, I took this as an insult.
I have watched both of them in many practices, scrimmages and now games. In person. You haven't. You seem to have almost no basis for saying what you are saying.
I took it as a very arrogant snooty remark.

As for his mechanics, I never stated they need improvement. I took your statement saying he'll never throw as well as Reese as meaning that his mechanics aren't as well as Reese's since you also stated he's not as strong. If that's not what you meant, then what exactly did you mean. As far as learning the system, both QB's have been in Stitt's system the same amount of time and Gresch played a similar system in high school. The reason in arm strength difference could very well be the 4 year age difference so to say that Gresch can't get stronger is not a fair statement.

As for attending practices and scrimmages, yes you do have that distinct advantage over me. I have watched all three games on tv though which gives me a much better view then you plus the added benefit of instant replays. And before you go to your bread and butter, I have played the game.

That wasn't even close to an insult. Just a direct and accurate statement. If you want to think it was arrogant, that's okay with me. I am generally confident in what I post on egriz, and otherwise. If you can't take me responding to your posts, perhaps you shouldn't respond to mine.

Phillips has a beautiful throw and is incredibly accurate. Just don't think Jensen will ever be able to throw like Phillips. Sorry, it's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. I have seen them throw for distance multiple times. They do a drill after some practices. Just can't imagine that Jensen will be able to develop another 10 or 15 yards of distance. Again, that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Phillips and Jensen are only 3 years apart in high school.

Yes, attending practices, scrimmages and games in person is a big advantage. So is talking to the coaches. The video at the stadium has instant replay. Also, the tv's in the stadium club have instant replays, and often show both the direct camera feeds and what is put on tv. The boxes also have tv's. The box I was in for years, and still go to, has 5 tv's. I often tape the game and watch it again. I see video at qb club each week, and have coaches explaining the video and running it back and forth. I sat with 3 coaches at qb club last week.

But you are, of course, welcome to your opinion. What college did you play for? Montana?
modesty at its best.

BWahlberg said:
grzz said:
Question for you Brint. I think this will fast track Toure and Akem emergence in this offense, as they came in together and undoubtedly have more reps throwing to each other because they red shirted together. You could tell he and Toure were on the same page with the 80 yard pass play from the one yard line. They both recognized it, signaled to each other and got it done. That isn't something an overmatched freshman does from his own endzone. Any thoughts on that?

Great observation and I agree. As we saw so far in this fall Phillips would mostly work with group 1A (Curran/Calhoun/JLM/Horner) and Jensen with group 1B (Akem/Corbin or Taylor/Toure/Simis or Bingham).

Jensen showed how he's dialed in with Toure for sure and I'd venture that in these early games and even in the scrimmages we'd see that Phillips was well connected with group 1A but would have some issues moving the ball with group 1B - probably wont be an issue with Jensen. Also if group 1A can help elevate Jensen's consistency we could see an offense that is actually more efficient than we've seen so far in fact.

The trick with Toure could be where he lines up as he and JLM share spots. But right now if you look at the stats those two are the stats leaders on the team with Curran right in there as well.

Brint, do you think we will see more of a vertical attacking offense with Jensen, as in north south instead of east west. I think with Phillips we worked the outside routes and swing passes much more. I always assumed with Jensen we would now see more north south passing and also running plays with Jensen attacking the edges on QB runs to keep them honest.

I'm actually looking forward to the aspect of the new QB, it seems like that has always been an element that was needed but we never had with Stitts offense. I think Jensen could still make this a good season honestly. And I also think its kinda cool that we will be able to watch the kid play for 4 years now. When was the last time Griz ever got to do that.

AllWeatherFan said:
Jesus, people act like a freshman has never had success in college football before!

When was the last time a frosh started for the Griz for most of a season? I can't think of any except Bergquist. And he didn't start his sophomore year.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
BWahlberg said:
grzz said:
Question for you Brint. I think this will fast track Toure and Akem emergence in this offense, as they came in together and undoubtedly have more reps throwing to each other because they red shirted together. You could tell he and Toure were on the same page with the 80 yard pass play from the one yard line. They both recognized it, signaled to each other and got it done. That isn't something an overmatched freshman does from his own endzone. Any thoughts on that?

Great observation and I agree. As we saw so far in this fall Phillips would mostly work with group 1A (Curran/Calhoun/JLM/Horner) and Jensen with group 1B (Akem/Corbin or Taylor/Toure/Simis or Bingham).

Jensen showed how he's dialed in with Toure for sure and I'd venture that in these early games and even in the scrimmages we'd see that Phillips was well connected with group 1A but would have some issues moving the ball with group 1B - probably wont be an issue with Jensen. Also if group 1A can help elevate Jensen's consistency we could see an offense that is actually more efficient than we've seen so far in fact.

The trick with Toure could be where he lines up as he and JLM share spots. But right now if you look at the stats those two are the stats leaders on the team with Curran right in there as well.

Brint, do you think we will see more of a vertical attacking offense with Jensen, as in north south instead of east west. I think with Phillips we worked the outside routes and swing passes much more. I always assumed with Jensen we would now see more north south passing and also running plays with Jensen attacking the edges on QB runs to keep them honest.

I'm actually looking forward to the aspect of the new QB, it seems like that has always been an element that was needed but we never had with Stitts offense. I think Jensen could still make this a good season honestly. And I also think its kinda cool that we will be able to watch the kid play for 4 years now. When was the last time Griz ever got to do that.

Uh... no, I'd actually expect it to be a little safer at first for Gresch so he can ease into the starting role. We saw that most of the fall too, Phillips was always a little more aggressive downfield than the other two.

For Gresch he's got a boatload of playmakers and we're seeing some improvements in WR blocking on quick routes too. Why not rely on an experienced running game and shorter/safer routes to work him in? However as Grzz pointed out, Gresch is dialed in with a few of these WRs having run practice squad and then 2nd team with them for 2 years now so if he and Toure & Akem are dialed in he'll take those shots, just like we saw on Saturday.

BWahlberg said:
AZGrizFan said:
Jensen's release is unreal. Quickest I've seen in years.

Agreed, the quick inside/slant route TD to Curran was awesome.

I agree, and would like to add the second TD by KC was a gorgeous route! Looked inside like it would be another slant route, then dropped back to the pylon and the ball was right there. Turned that corner around and he had no shot.

Jensen seemed hesitant on his first series coming in (understandably), but then looked very comfortable. Glad is first start is at home!

I think that Nagler has a bright future as well. If he gets time in the lineup, Jensen will get him the ball.

04GRIZPHARMER said:
BWahlberg said:
AZGrizFan said:

I agree, and would like to add the second TD by KC was a gorgeous route! Looked inside like it would be another slant route, then dropped back to the pylon and the ball was right there. Turned that corner around and he had no shot.

Jensen seemed hesitant on his first series coming in (understandably), but then looked very comfortable. Glad is first start is at home!

Also glad he had meaningful reps against both Valpo and UW before Saturday. He's not coming in totally inexperienced.

AZGrizFan said:
Watching on TV, that was one of the first things that struck me, especially after he got dialed in. (I remember making a remark about that to my wife after we'd seen several of his passes.)

BWahlberg said:
AZGrizFan said:

As was the dime he threw to curran off a play action into the front corner of endzone. That thing was perfect and undefendable.

Latest posts

Back