• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Gresch Jensen from my perspective

As was mentioned before, my thought is that Jensen will be good or very good at the position this year as he gets comfortable. For me, I think Phillips has the "it" factor for leadership. That will be missed more, imo, then the skill set on the field. I also saw the perceived lack of passion with the TDs. Phillips you could see his smiling face and excitement. Jensen was just getting back to the sidelines. I think part was due to the situation he was in, but holy crap man, you just scored and passed for your first college TDs! :lol:
I think this is just perception though. He will show more as he gets comfortable and I really think the team is in good hands. My original guess was 8-3, but I'm going 7-4 for the season. Next year, with Stitt, 9-2 or better.

AZDoc said:
As was mentioned before, my thought is that Jensen will be good or very good at the position this year as he gets comfortable. For me, I think Phillips has the "it" factor for leadership. That will be missed more, imo, then the skill set on the field. I also saw the perceived lack of passion with the TDs. Phillips you could see his smiling face and excitement. Jensen was just getting back to the sidelines. I think part was due to the situation he was in, but holy crap man, you just scored and passed for your first college TDs! :lol:
I think this is just perception though. He will show more as he gets comfortable and I really think the team is in good hands. My original guess was 8-3, but I'm going 7-4 for the season. Next year, with Stitt, 9-2 or better.

Yeah I would say that was 100% due to the fact that he just watched his friend and mentor suffer a horrific and career ending injury.

Htowngriz said:
AZDoc said:

Yeah I would say that was 100% due to the fact that he just watched his friend and mentor suffer a horrific and career ending injury.

Ice man....I like that.

HookedonGriz said:
BWahlberg said:
AZGrizFan said:
Jensen's release is unreal. Quickest I've seen in years.

Agreed, the quick inside/slant route TD to Curran was awesome.

As was the dime he threw to curran off a play action into the front corner of endzone. That thing was perfect and undefendable.

He had a number of very nice throws. But he also had a throw to the right, going south, that was ill-advised, a bit behind the receiver, and would probably have been a pick-six with a better defender.

PlayerRep said:
HookedonGriz said:
BWahlberg said:
AZGrizFan said:
Jensen's release is unreal. Quickest I've seen in years.

As was the dime he threw to curran off a play action into the front corner of endzone. That thing was perfect and undefendable.

He had a number of very nice throws. But he also had a throw to the right, going south, that was ill-advised, a bit behind the receiver, and would probably have been a pick-six with a better defender.

That one may have also been a completion if the receiver had fought for the catch instead if letting himself get pushed out of the spot. He had the right idea, backshoulder & it probably wasn't perfect, but it was the right read. One of his better throws was to Toure, in-stride, with a defender in his face. His throws will get better, & we can all rejoice in the fact that unlike season one & parts of season two, this QB comes in knowing where to go with the throws, can get yards with his feet & is a terrific ball handler. His fakes got him a walk in TD & a slant to Curran that wasn't undercut by the backer.

HelenaHandBasket said:
Yukon said:
reinell30 said:
I hated this injury to Reese deeply, made me sick! However, I predicted months ago, Gresch would be the starter by game Four. I see amazing talent in this kid. His poise will standout to everyone very soon. He is a leader that will get the job done. I believe the Griz are in very good hands with Gresch behind center.

My concern now however, is who do we have behind Gresch? If something happens to him, I do not believe Hill can run this offense.

I actually am confident we would be fine if something happened to Gresch. Hill would just change how the offense is run, IMO. If we got to Hill, I would also know that Simis is still ready if needed.

The Simis days as a Griz QB are long over.
Sure about that?
[tweet]https://twitter.com/ShaunRainey/status/909881391323607040[/tweet]

Yukon said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Yukon said:
reinell30 said:
I hated this injury to Reese deeply, made me sick! However, I predicted months ago, Gresch would be the starter by game Four. I see amazing talent in this kid. His poise will standout to everyone very soon. He is a leader that will get the job done. I believe the Griz are in very good hands with Gresch behind center.

My concern now however, is who do we have behind Gresch? If something happens to him, I do not believe Hill can run this offense.

I actually am confident we would be fine if something happened to Gresch. Hill would just change how the offense is run, IMO. If we got to Hill, I would also know that Simis is still ready if needed.

Sure about that?

:lol:

bgbigdog said:
PlayerRep said:
HookedonGriz said:
BWahlberg said:

That one may have also been a completion if the receiver had fought for the catch instead if letting himself get pushed out of the spot. He had the right idea, backshoulder & it probably wasn't perfect, but it was the right read. One of his better throws was to Toure, in-stride, with a defender in his face. His throws will get better, & we can all rejoice in the fact that unlike season one & parts of season two, this QB comes in knowing where to go with the throws, can get yards with his feet & is a terrific ball handler. His fakes got him a walk in TD & a slant to Curran that wasn't undercut by the backer.

I think the one I was talking about was a completion. Just mostly lucky, tho.

PlayerRep said:
bgbigdog said:
PlayerRep said:
HookedonGriz said:

I think there were a couple that were close to going the other way. I think this will get better with reps, although that may not be by Saturday. We will see growing pains for sure.

Yukon said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Yukon said:
reinell30 said:

Sure about that?
I mean he did throw 6 TD passes in a game, albeit against a terrible UND secondary.

PlayerRep said:
bgbigdog said:
PlayerRep said:
HookedonGriz said:

& I was taking about the interception that he threw intended for Taylor. My apologies.

bgbigdog said:
PlayerRep said:
bgbigdog said:
PlayerRep said:

& I was taking about the interception that he threw intended for Taylor. My apologies.

No apologies needed. I don't recall who the receiver was. It sort of an out pattern, but not one to the sidelines.

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned.
The ability of Jensen to process information quickly. Also, as mentioned by Stitt is his preparation giving him the ability to make correct audibles or checkdowns that are in the offense, but have not been made by QBs in the last three years.
There are going to be some growing pains, however if he is that far advanced mentally now...the sky is the limit.
In addition is his ability to go from run option to pass with a quick delivery. Grady pointed out the quick delivery several times. This will help line play if QB can process info correctly, quickly, and with a compact quick throwing motion.

Running Ability - Jensen
Arm Strength - Phillips
Release - Jensen
Experience - Phillips
Play-Action Fake - Jensen
Progressions- Jensen
Years in System - Draw

Honestly, I don't expect much of a drop off. In fact, it had been FIVE YEARS since Phillips last started a game before Valpo. Jensen was starting meaningful games 2 years ago. I think we'll be fine.

AZDoc said:
As was mentioned before, my thought is that Jensen will be good or very good at the position this year as he gets comfortable. For me, I think Phillips has the "it" factor for leadership. That will be missed more, imo, then the skill set on the field. I also saw the perceived lack of passion with the TDs. Phillips you could see his smiling face and excitement. Jensen was just getting back to the sidelines. I think part was due to the situation he was in, but holy crap man, you just scored and passed for your first college TDs! [emoji38]
I like the fact that he doesn't show too much emotion after a score. He acts like a professional who's been there before and knows there will be many more TD's in the future. Some players today appear to spend more time working on their celebrations than they do their game.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

AZGrizFan said:
Running Ability - Jensen
Arm Strength - Phillips
Release - Jensen
Experience - Phillips
Progressions- Jensen
Years in System - Draw

Honestly, I don't expect much of a drop off. In fact, it had been FIVE YEARS since Phillips last started a game before Valpo. Jensen was starting meaningful games 2 years ago. I think we'll be fine.

Passing ability - Phillips
Leadership - Phillips, at least at this point. Don't think a redshirt frosh came immediately become a strong leader like a senior qb who obviously has very good leadership qualities. Don't know anything about Jensen as a leader.
Progressions - don't agree
Years in system - yes, the same. But being a redshirt running the scout team, i.e. the offense of the next opponent, is not the same as taking reps in the offense at practice, and receiving feedback and coaching from the coaches.
Zone read ability - Jensen
Play action fake - hum
Level of maturity (based on age) - Phillips

UM may be fine, but will fine be a drop off from Phillips. I think UM needs better than fine to have a strong season. Not saying that Jensen can't get up there quickly during the season.

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
Running Ability - Jensen
Arm Strength - Phillips
Release - Jensen
Experience - Phillips
Progressions- Jensen
Years in System - Draw

Passing ability - Phillips
Leadership - Phillips, at least at this point. Don't think a redshirt frosh came immediately become a strong leader like a senior qb who obviously has very good leadership qualities. Don't know anything about Jensen as a leader.
Progressions - don't agree
Years in system - yes, the same. But being a redshirt running the scout team, i.e. the offense of the next opponent, is not the same as taking reps in the offense at practice, and receiving feedback and coaching from the coaches.
Zone read ability - Jensen
Play action fake - hum
Level of maturity (based on age) - Phillips

UM may be fine, but will fine be a drop off from Phillips. I think UM needs better than fine to have a strong season. Not saying that Jensen can't get up there quickly during the season.

Agreed. Fine might not be good enough...but might not have been with Phillips either...based on things we knew about Jensen prior to his elevation to starter (comments from Stitt and Sele) I think his years in the system haven't hurt him as much as maybe it might if he weren't so dedicated. My play-action judgement was based off a pretty small sample set, for sure, but he seemed to sell it more/better IMHO.

PlayerRep said:
AllWeatherFan said:
Jesus, people act like a freshman has never had success in college football before!

When was the last time a frosh started for the Griz for most of a season? I can't think of any except Bergquist. And he didn't start his sophomore year.

Trent McKinney in 2012 started the first seven games !

grizfnz said:
AZDoc said:
As was mentioned before, my thought is that Jensen will be good or very good at the position this year as he gets comfortable. For me, I think Phillips has the "it" factor for leadership. That will be missed more, imo, then the skill set on the field. I also saw the perceived lack of passion with the TDs. Phillips you could see his smiling face and excitement. Jensen was just getting back to the sidelines. I think part was due to the situation he was in, but holy crap man, you just scored and passed for your first college TDs! [emoji38]
I like the fact that he doesn't show too much emotion after a score. He acts like a professional who's been there before and knows there will be many more TD's in the future. Some players today appear to spend more time working on their celebrations than they do their game.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I agree with that. I certainly don't want him grabbing cheerleaders Pom-poms, but I was more making a point about being a more subdued leader, and probably him thinking about why he was in playing in the first place. Someone had mentioned they were concerned about the lack of emotion, I was then just saying could've been a bit more excited after his first 2 TDs

Latest posts

Back