• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Gresch Jensen from my perspective

I'm not sure if this will work, but I remember a thread a couple of years ago when Gresch signed about his academics. I'm cutting and pasting it. Pretty impressive.

http://www.egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=74610&p=1176157&hilit=gresch+jensen#p1176157

grizcycling said:
PlayerRep said:
Mousegriz said:
PlayerRep said:
Now that is encouraging. Didn't know Jensen was a smart qb.

"Didn't know?" Is that you PR?

Not sure how many comments I've read about his preparedness, late night film study, detailed questions for coaches after practices and scrimmages, a "student of the game" according to his HS coach.

One, I haven't focused on Jensen, as I believed Phillips would be the qb this year, and have since the spring. Two, not sure that any of the things you mentioned necessarily mean that he's a smart qb who can step in and make excellent decisions right away. Those Stitt statements are the best I've seen/heard about him. He looked pretty good when he came in too, especially on several plays, but the opponent obviously wasn't EWU quality.

Hummm! You're a very shrewd mammal my Dartmouth friend. I'm sure this didn't escape your attention. http://gogriz.com/news/2016/9/13/football-griz-freshman-qb-a-finalist-for-national-academic-award.aspx

Never saw it. Like I said, haven't focused on him, other than watching him at practice with the other qb's. It's just like with my kids' boyfriends and girlfriends. I don't pay much attention to them until they've lasted a year or so. They tend to come and go. College qb's also tend to do that.

grizfnz said:
AZDoc said:
As was mentioned before, my thought is that Jensen will be good or very good at the position this year as he gets comfortable. For me, I think Phillips has the "it" factor for leadership. That will be missed more, imo, then the skill set on the field. I also saw the perceived lack of passion with the TDs. Phillips you could see his smiling face and excitement. Jensen was just getting back to the sidelines. I think part was due to the situation he was in, but holy crap man, you just scored and passed for your first college TDs! [emoji38]
I think this is just perception though. He will show more as he gets comfortable and I really think the team is in good hands. My original guess was 8-3, but I'm going 7-4 for the season. Next year, with Stitt, 9-2 or better.
I like the fact that he doesn't show too much emotion after a score. He acts like a professional who's been there before and knows there will be many more TD's in the future. Some players today appear to spend more time working on their celebrations than they do their game.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I guess it's OK then.... to have a Ron Ash type at Qb :roll:

daGrizJ said:
I have to agree with PR that Phillips has/had a better arm. (God bless that young man.) Jensen's throws have a bit more air under them. But, even with that said, he is still very accurate, has a quicker release, is stronger (did you see his guns at the presser?) and a tad better spread option runner, does a variety of excellent play fakes, seems to be able to read defenses and connect with his teammates (the TD to Curran in the front of the end zone off the play fake run was a verbal called by Curran) and audible into good plays, which seems to indicate a good grasp of the offense. All that, along with Stitt's comments about his study and prep, and Selle saying he is the most cerebral player he's ever been around. I think the kid will be OK. He will most likely make some freshman mistakes and we may loss a game or two more than with Reese but in the long run it will all work out I think. It's time for the entire rest of the team to up their support and play to their potential.

Yup. Jensen has talent and nice potential. Hope he does great, sooner than later. He may be or become a better qb than Phillips, but anyone who doesn't think Phillips throws a better ball has never played the game.

Jamarcus Russell had a huge arm and the Raiders never looked back, and Road him to multiple championships. Ryan Leaf had a big arm and pretty much carried the Chargers on his shoulders for years. Kyle Boller could throw from his knees for 80 yards, and the Ravens couldn't have been happier drafting him. I'd rather have QB with a quick release and accuracy than a life time 50% gunslinger.

rocklobster said:
Jamarcus Russell had a huge arm and the Raiders never looked back, and Road him to multiple championships. Ryan Leaf had a big arm and pretty much carried the Chargers on his shoulders for years. Kyle Boller could throw from his knees for 80 yards, and the Ravens couldn't have been happier drafting him. I'd rather have QB with a quick release and accuracy than a life time 50% gunslinger.

I'm high on Gresch. Hell, Reese Phillips is higher on Jensen than this entire board put together. But, calling Phillips a 50 percent gunslinger is absurd. The dude is EXTREMELY accurate and was well on his way towards battling Gubrud and Cookus for Big Sky MVP honors.

George Ferguson said:
rocklobster said:

I'm high on Gresch. Hell, Reese Phillips is higher on Jensen than this entire board put together. But, calling Phillips a 50 percent gunslinger is absurd. The dude is EXTREMELY accurate and was well on his way towards battling Gubrud and Cookus for Big Sky MVP honors.

That was the feeling I was getting too.

George Ferguson said:
rocklobster said:

Wasn't talking about Phillips. Talking in general. I'm a Phillips fan. Don't put words my mouth!

rocklobster said:
My point was that a strong arm does not always make a great QB!

Fine, but did anyone on the board ever say or insinuate that a strong arm would make a great qb.

What was your point about a 50% gunslinger?

Assume you know Phillips was 71% so far this year?

PlayerRep said:
rocklobster said:
My point was that a strong arm does not always make a great QB!

Fine, but didn't anyone on the board ever say or insinuate that a strong arm would make a great qb.

What was your point about a 50% gunslinger?

Assume you know Phillips was 71% so far this year?

I know that! You PR put so much on arm strength! My point was directed at you! It's not all strength of the arm! The "50% gunslinger" was a comment about the QBs I mentioned. Sheesh! R-e-l-a-x.

rocklobster said:

In my opinion that is what made Phillips so good. I personally thought his release and accuracy looked better than Jensens

RayWill said:
rocklobster said:

In my opinion that is what made Phillips so good. I personally thought his release and accuracy looked better than Jensens

Didn't mention Phillips! Not talking about Phillips! El mentiono no Phillip-so! Shizukani Phillip-San.

rocklobster said:
RayWill said:
rocklobster said:

Didn't mention Phillips! Not talking about Phillips! El mentiono no Phillip-so! Shizukani Phillip-San.

Okay my bad. Jsut seemed where your comment was located that was the inference. 100% agree with you

RayWill said:
rocklobster said:
RayWill said:
rocklobster said:

Okay my bad. Jsut seemed where your comment was located that was the inference. 100% agree with you

In context of the thread, I understand why you thought that.

Love me some Phillips slinging the ball. & while aesthetics are fun to kick around, greatness is measured in W's. Kid's got more then enough physical skills and more smarts than any QB who's passed through the Stitt process. Last time I'm going to say this, barring unforeseen injury, he'll be the next great Griz QB.

PlayerRep said:
grizcycling said:
PlayerRep said:
Mousegriz said:
"Didn't know?" Is that you PR?

Not sure how many comments I've read about his preparedness, late night film study, detailed questions for coaches after practices and scrimmages, a "student of the game" according to his HS coach.

One, I haven't focused on Jensen, as I believed Phillips would be the qb this year, and have since the spring. Two, not sure that any of the things you mentioned necessarily mean that he's a smart qb who can step in and make excellent decisions right away. Those Stitt statements are the best I've seen/heard about him. He looked pretty good when he came in too, especially on several plays, but the opponent obviously wasn't EWU quality.

Hummm! You're a very shrewd mammal my Dartmouth friend. I'm sure this didn't escape your attention. http://gogriz.com/news/2016/9/13/football-griz-freshman-qb-a-finalist-for-national-academic-award.aspx

Never saw it. Like I said, haven't focused on him, other than watching him at practice with the other qb's. It's just like with my kids' boyfriends and girlfriends. I don't pay much attention to them until they've lasted a year or so. They tend to come and go. College qb's also tend to do that.

Seems a guy who played the game would realize that since QB"s come and go, get injured, leave school to follow their girlfriends, or don't pan out on the field, that whomever is #2 on depth chart has a pretty good chance of seeing the field. Good guy to focus on a little when you spend time at so many practices. Find out where the kid is from, read what his HS and college coaches have to say about him, look into his academic record and observe his skills outside of just how he throws the ball.

Very sad for Phillips but here's Jensen. Are you going to start paying much attention to him next year after he's lasted a year or so?

Once again I see the big picture is lost in the nit-picky pissing matches over these two fine QB's. Phillips and Jensen, both brought in by Stitt, have each showed they have the ability to properly run Stitt's offense--something the prior coaches' QB recruits just couldn't master. These guys are great students, great people, and fine athletes. They are unselfish and wholly team oriented. They are not from Montana but know, live and love what it is to be a Griz! I hope Stitt's philosophy stays with this program for a long time. The W's will come.

Back