• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Gresch Jensen from my perspective

horribilisfan8184 said:
HookedonGriz said:
A pretty cool comment that Stitt made in the most recent presser on Jensen:

- Stitt said he checked to that run on that play where he scampered in with his feet for a touchdown. He said he's been waiting three years for a QB to check that

- on first and 10 backed up on their own 2, most quarterbacks would hand the ball off to the running back a couple of times. Not Jensen though, he checked to a slant and go route, looked off a defender on the slant, and then checked down to the wheel for that 70 yard gain to Toure. Stitt said that is just something freshman quarterbacks do not do

- he also said Gresch has so many things tucked away in his brain and he's excited to see what he brings out

This is the kind of check downs that was hoped we would see out of BG.

A true thing of beauty. :clap: :clap: :clap:

HookedonGriz said:

- Stitt said he checked to that run on that play where he scampered in with his feet for a touchdown. He said he's been waiting three years for a QB to check that

- on first and 10 backed up on their own 2, most quarterbacks would hand the ball off to the running back a couple of times. Not Jensen though, he checked to a slant and go route, looked off a defender on the slant, and then checked down to the wheel for that 70 yard gain to Toure. Stitt said that is just something freshman quarterbacks do not do

- he also said Gresch has so many things tucked away in his brain and he's excited to see what he brings out

On that scamper, he used a quick little pump fake to freeze the secondary. That was sweet.

DuCharme said:
HookedonGriz said:

On that scamper, he used a quick little pump fake to freeze the secondary. That was sweet.

I also saw a couple of times where after handing off he turned and faked a throwing motion. Those little things that potentially distract the defense can make the difference between an arm tackle versus a form tackle. If anyone bites on that motion for even an instant it gives the offense an advantage. I have complained frequently about a lack of misdirection and that the Griz were leaving money on the table by not employing it enough. I am truly optimistic that Gresch is going to inject more of it into the offense and that it will pay off big.

PlayerRep said:
HookedonGriz said:

Now that is encouraging. Didn't know Jensen was a smart qb.

"Didn't know?" Is that you PR?

Not sure how many comments I've read about his preparedness, late night film study, detailed questions for coaches after practices and scrimmages, a "student of the game" according to his HS coach.

Mousegriz said:
PlayerRep said:
HookedonGriz said:

Not sure how many comments I've read about his preparedness, late night film study, detailed questions for coaches after practices and scrimmages, a "student of the game" according to his HS coach.

One, I haven't focused on Jensen, as I believed Phillips would be the qb this year, and have since the spring. Two, not sure that any of the things you mentioned necessarily mean that he's a smart qb who can step in and make excellent decisions right away. Those Stitt statements are the best I've seen/heard about him. He looked pretty good when he came in too, especially on several plays, but the opponent obviously wasn't EWU quality.

AZGrizFan said:
griz5700 said:
I just can't believe what I saw yesterday. Phillips was off to a great start. Sucks.

Hey, you've got your built in excuse to continue your witch hunt now...

What excuse is that?

Witch hunt? Expecting better for the program. Sorry, my bad.

PlayerRep said:
Mousegriz said:
PlayerRep said:
HookedonGriz said:

One, I haven't focused on Jensen, as I believed Phillips would be the qb this year, and have since the spring. Two, not sure that any of the things you mentioned necessarily mean that he's a smart qb who can step in and make excellent decisions right away. Those Stitt statements are the best I've seen/heard about him. He looked pretty good when he came in too, especially on several plays, but the opponent obviously wasn't EWU quality.

Then when did you focus in on him enough to fully analyze that he'll never ever be the passer Phillips is?

Mousegriz said:
PlayerRep said:
Mousegriz said:
PlayerRep said:

Then when did you focus in on him enough to fully analyze that he'll never ever be the passer Phillips is?

:poke:

AZGrizFan said:
Mousegriz said:
PlayerRep said:
Mousegriz said:

Practices (fall, spring, summer, fall), scrimmages and parts of 2 games. I watched all 3 quarterbacks, especially when they threw. Stayed after practice this fall to watch the qb's throw several times. Maybe 50 times total. Never read much on Jensen, even from the posters who were touting him all spring/summer/fall. Thought Phillips was much better and would be the starter. Also talked to players, including a qb, about Phillips last year when he arrived. To me, his best strength was how he threw the ball.

How many practices and scrimmages have you attended? Ha.

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
Mousegriz said:
PlayerRep said:

Practices (fall, spring, summer, fall), scrimmages and parts of 2 games. I watched all 3 quarterbacks, especially when they threw. Stayed after practice this fall to watch the qb's throw several times. Maybe 50 times total. Never read much on Jensen, even from the posters who were touting him all spring/summer/fall. Thought Phillips was much better and would be the starter. Also talked to players, including a qb, about Phillips last year when he arrived. To me, his best strength was how he threw the ball.

Did you focus on him or not? With all the practices, scrimmages, games (most watched with at least one or two ex Griz OL), Seattle tailgates, showers, and jock strap fittings you watch it seems you focus on the Griz quite a bit.

Mousegriz said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
Mousegriz said:

Did you focus on him or not? With all the practices, scrimmages, games (most watched with at least one or two ex Griz OL), Seattle tailgates, showers, and jock strap fittings you watch it seems you focus on the Griz quite a bit.

No, I just watched him throw just like I watched the other 2 qb's throw.

You really are an asshole. People like you are what muck up the board. You add nothing. Probably a total loser in life.

PlayerRep said:
Mousegriz said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:

You really are an asshole. People like you are what muck up the board. You add nothing. Probably a total loser in life.

Ha! A simple observation and Mr. All Knowing resorts to personal insults. You said you hadn't focused on Jensen, were encouraged by Stitt's comments and didn't know he was a smart QB. I question how you haven't focused on him since I know you go to practices, scrimmages, games when they don't interfere with weddings and read and post on this board every day. I'd have thought you'd have read he is a film junkie, known for his preparedness and detailed observation leading to detailed questions of his coaches. Finished HS early and came to UM in the spring of his HS senior year.

.....and I become "really an asshole" and "probably a total loser in life".

Mousegriz said:
PlayerRep said:
Mousegriz said:
PlayerRep said:

Ha! A simple observation and Mr. All Knowing resorts to personal insults. You said you hadn't focused on Jensen, were encouraged by Stitt's comments and didn't know he was a smart QB. I question how you haven't focused on him since I know you go to practices, scrimmages, games when they don't interfere with weddings and read and post on this board every day. I'd have thought you'd have read he is a film junkie, known for his preparedness and detailed observation leading to detailed questions of his coaches. Finished HS early and came to UM in the spring of his HS senior year.

You certainly painted him into a corner with "just the facts" and struck a nerve in the process.

Grisly Fan said:
DuCharme said:
HookedonGriz said:

I also saw a couple of times where after handing off he turned and faked a throwing motion. Those little things that potentially distract the defense can make the difference between an arm tackle versus a form tackle. If anyone bites on that motion for even an instant it gives the offense an advantage. I have complained frequently about a lack of misdirection and that the Griz were leaving money on the table by not employing it enough. I am truly optimistic that Gresch is going to inject more of it into the offense and that it will pay off big.

Noticed it too....and that the camera man bit a little each time

Mousegriz said:
PlayerRep said:
Mousegriz said:
PlayerRep said:

You started it, buddy, with your own insults and BS. No, you didn't "become" an asshole and loser. You always have been. Try not being a jerk in your posts, and try not talking about showers and jock straps, and things might go better for you and the board. I find it funny when people like complain of insults, just after they insulted someone and the someone has responded.

Grisly Fan said:
Mousegriz said:
PlayerRep said:
Mousegriz said:

You certainly painted him into a corner with "just the facts" and struck a nerve in the process.

Do you think one has to focus on a qb and read all the press about him, to observe how he throws. My god, do you really not understand that it's easy to see whether a qb has a good arm by just watching him throw. I agree with others that posters should have to pass a simple football test before they post about football. I hear that you like to chase jocks and hang out in showers with kids. Is that right?

PlayerRep said:
Mousegriz said:
PlayerRep said:
HookedonGriz said:

Hummm! You're a very shrewd mammal my Dartmouth friend. I'm sure this didn't escape your attention. http://gogriz.com/news/2016/9/13/football-griz-freshman-qb-a-finalist-for-national-academic-award.aspx

I have to agree with PR that Phillips has/had a better arm. (God bless that young man.) Jensen's throws have a bit more air under them. But, even with that said, he is still very accurate, has a quicker release, is stronger (did you see his guns at the presser?) and a tad better spread option runner, does a variety of excellent play fakes, seems to be able to read defenses and connect with his teammates (the TD to Curran in the front of the end zone off the play fake run was a verbal called by Curran) and audible into good plays, which seems to indicate a good grasp of the offense. All that, along with Stitt's comments about his study and prep, and Selle saying he is the most cerebral player he's ever been around. I think the kid will be OK. He will most likely make some freshman mistakes and we may loss a game or two more than with Reese but in the long run it will all work out I think. It's time for the entire rest of the team to up their support and play to their potential.

Back