• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Gresch Jensen from my perspective

I will also ask...haven't both Phillips and Jensen been in he system the same amount of time? Jensen early graduate here for spring and Phillips transferred before spring?

catsack said:
PlayerRep said:
AllWeatherFan said:
Jesus, people act like a freshman has never had success in college football before!

When was the last time a frosh started for the Griz for most of a season? I can't think of any except Bergquist. And he didn't start his sophomore year.

Trent McKinney in 2012 started the first seven games !

Thanks. Must have blocked that out. Just read that he started 8 games and was 3-5. Maybe the 3-5 caused me not to recall.

Phillips was beginning to show the kind of accuracy we have not seen since Drew Miller. Jenson has a lot of skills in development; we just have to be concerned with where he makes his freshman mistakes.

kemajic said:
Phillips was beginning to show the kind of accuracy we have not seen since Drew Miller. Jenson has a lot of skills in development; we just have to be concerned with where he makes his freshman mistakes.

Agreed.

kemajic said:

Yep. Although interestingly in the scrimmages it always seemed like it was Phillips throwing the pick-6's...there were a couple that Jensen got away with on Saturday that may not be the same result against a BSC defense...

kemajic said:
I would compare him more to Ochs than Miller. Miller was bailed out by Edwards on several occasions imo

kemajic said:

No doubt those will be there, but he also seems like the kind of player who will learn from them, and learn from them fast.

AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:

Yep. Although interestingly in the scrimmages it always seemed like it was Phillips throwing the pick-6's...there were a couple that Jensen got away with on Saturday that may not be the same result against a BSC defense...

Phillips threw 2 pick 6's in Butte. He didn't have interceptions in the prior scrimmages in the spring. Can't recall any pick 6 in scrimmages this fall, but I have some recollection of one that wasn't his fault. Can someone help on the pick 6's this fall in scrimmages?

losing Phillips was a bummer....having Jensen is a blessing. If any advice needs to ring clear is have confidence in your teammates. I can hardly wait for the interview in a few years " looking back what was it like watching Phillips go down knowing the reigns were yours and then going out and beating an arch rival eastern washington under the lights at Washington Grizzly Stadium?" :cool:

Fahque said:
kemajic said:
I would compare him more to Ochs than Miller. Miller was bailed out by Edwards on several occasions imo

That was my thought as well. I think we had the best QB (or top two) in the BSC with Phillips. His accuracy and pre snap reads were top shelf. Best QB play we've seen since Ochs. :twocents:

Glad to have Jensen, but let's not discount what we were seeing outta Phillips.

GeauxGriz said:
Fahque said:
kemajic said:

That was my thought as well. I think we had the best QB (or top two) in the BSC with Phillips. His accuracy and pre snap reads were top shelf. Best QB play we've seen since Ochs. :twocents:

Glad to have Jensen, but let's not discount what we were seeing outta Phillips.

I agree, but not intending to comment on whether Phillips was more like Miller or Ochs. I hadn't thought of the accuracy comparison before I saw it, but Phillips was seeming to be very accurate.

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:

Phillips threw 2 pick 6's in Butte. He didn't have interceptions in the prior scrimmages in the spring. Can't recall any pick 6 in scrimmages this fall, but I have some recollection of one that wasn't his fault. Can someone help on the pick 6's this fall in scrimmages?

Thought I remembered one in the Spring as well...maybe it was the fumbles...

A pretty cool comment that Stitt made in the most recent presser on Jensen:

- Stitt said he checked to that run on that play where he scampered in with his feet for a touchdown. He said he's been waiting three years for a QB to check that

- on first and 10 backed up on their own 2, most quarterbacks would hand the ball off to the running back a couple of times. Not Jensen though, he checked to a slant and go route, looked off a defender on the slant, and then checked down to the wheel for that 70 yard gain to Toure. Stitt said that is just something freshman quarterbacks do not do

- he also said Gresch has so many things tucked away in his brain and he's excited to see what he brings out

HookedonGriz said:

- Stitt said he checked to that run on that play where he scampered in with his feet for a touchdown. He said he's been waiting three years for a QB to check that

- on first and 10 backed up on their own 2, most quarterbacks would hand the ball off to the running back a couple of times. Not Jensen though, he checked to a slant and go route, looked off a defender on the slant, and then checked down to the wheel for that 70 yard gain to Toure. Stitt said that is just something freshman quarterbacks do not do

- he also said Gresch has so many things tucked away in his brain and he's excited to see what he brings out

Now that is encouraging. Didn't know Jensen was a smart qb.

I believe the first start for Brady Gustufson was on the big stage against' North Dakota State on ESPN.

This is the first start for Gresch and it too is on the big stage. Start of conference play against' defending Big Sky Champion Eastern Washington.

Brady pulled it together and won the game. I believe Gresch will be victorious as well!

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:

He had one in the first fall scrimmage, bounced of Lee's hands, was a check-down pass near the goal-line. The ball went up in the air and Cowans took it 95-ish yards for a TD. Stitt after the scrimmage blamed himself for the design of the play and even went as far to say he's taking the play out of the book.

BWahlberg said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:

He had one in the first fall scrimmage, bounced of Lee's hands, was a check-down pass near the goal-line. The ball went up in the air and Cowans took it 95-ish yards for a TD. Stitt after the scrimmage blamed himself for the design of the play and even went as far to say he's taking the play out of the book.

Yup, the sort of swing pass to the left near the south end zone goal line.

HookedonGriz said:

This is the kind of check downs that was hoped we would see out of BG.

Back