• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz LB Strahm arrested for DUI

Ursus1 said:
SACCAT66 said:
AZGrizFan said:
ordigger said:
The only law I have a problem with is the seat belt law. But that's an entire another issue. In my family, seat belts did not save lives.....they killed, twice in two different accidents.

That's what they call "anecdotal evidence". Seat belts save lives.

In an effort to get this thread to 17 pages...I will say Seat belts are more of a choice. If you don't wear them, you are only increasing the risk of you being killed in a wreck. Texting, masturbating, drinking and driving, mooning people while driving because they are from Butte, and it is Homecoming at Bozeman high in the mid-90's...Those all effect others safety around you...Plus, it turns out those Butte kids don't play when you are preppies from Bozeman.

But is anyone else is in vehicle, your flying body could kill them. Small child won't do well against a 200 pound objet traveling 80 mph. "YOUR choice but maybe soneone else's life. Newtons laws will tell ya.

Plus I don't want my medical bills increased to pay for someone's medical care that doesn't have insurance and was hurt by not wearing seat belts

Very valid points...I miss the days I was 200 pounds...

Thank God that e-Griz is here to tackle yet another complex contemporary societal problem facing our great nation! :thumb:

Ursus1 said:
... But if anyone else is in vehicle, your flying body could kill them. Small child won't do well against a 200 pound object traveling 80 mph. "YOUR choice but maybe someone else's life. Newtons laws will tell ya.

Plus I don't want my medical bills increased to pay for someone's medical care that doesn't have insurance and was hurt by not wearing seat belts
Right on! with point number one. :thumb:

Not sure what you're getting at on point two. You already do pay the medical bills for injured but uninsured motorists, whether or not they were wearing seat belts ... unless you somehow stay away from hospitals, emergency care units, doctors (to a lesser extent), and car/medical insurance.

Some background (skip if you like): Hardly ever is anyone denied treatment for serious injuries, whatever the cause. Responding medical teams are allowed perform "triage" to take the worst injuries first (head trauma is way up there) ... so that immobilized broken ankle may have to wait awhile but it will get treated. Despite urban legends to the contrary, hospitals are not allowed to refuse emergency care based on the inability to pay. It's called the Federal Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act and it applies to hospitals in all U. S. states and territories. (Extensive litigation has identified a few exceptions, but none of those involve the ability or inability to pay.) And, as I read the legal summary, a patient cannot be discharged from the hospital later if there is a credible chance his/her condition will worsen without continued treatment. Only when a patient is fully stable can he/she be released -- and then medical personnel can refuse further treatment because you cannot pay and have no insurance.

If you skipped all that, here's the bottom line: We all pay the cost for that care if the patient doesn't. It's built in to the standard charges for every aspect of the medical care system in this country. And, just to be clear, it's built into the cost of automobile and health insurance.

AZGrizFan said:
ordigger said:
The only law I have a problem with is the seat belt law. But that's an entire another issue. In my family, seat belts did not save lives.....they killed, twice in two different accidents.

Stop trying to hijack this thread. The topic is texting/driving.

IdaGriz01 said:
Ursus1 said:
... But if anyone else is in vehicle, your flying body could kill them. Small child won't do well against a 200 pound object traveling 80 mph. "YOUR choice but maybe someone else's life. Newtons laws will tell ya.

Right on! with point number one. :thumb:

Not sure what you're getting at on point two. You already do pay the medical bills for injured but uninsured motorists, whether or not they were wearing seat belts ... unless you somehow stay away from hospitals, emergency care units, doctors (to a lesser extent), and car/medical insurance.

Some background (skip if you like): Hardly ever is anyone denied treatment for serious injuries, whatever the cause. Responding medical teams are allowed perform "triage" to take the worst injuries first (head trauma is way up there) ... so that immobilized broken ankle may have to wait awhile but it will get treated. Despite urban legends to the contrary, hospitals are not allowed to refuse emergency care based on the inability to pay. It's called the Federal Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act and it applies to hospitals in all U. S. states and territories. (Extensive litigation has identified a few exceptions, but none of those involve the ability or inability to pay.) And, as I read the legal summary, a patient cannot be discharged from the hospital later if there is a credible chance his/her condition will worsen without continued treatment. Only when a patient is fully stable can he/she be released -- and then medical personnel can refuse further treatment because you cannot pay and have no insurance.

If you skipped all that, here's the bottom line: We all pay the cost for that care if the patient doesn't. It's built in to the standard charges for every aspect of the medical care system in this country. And, just to be clear, it's built into the cost of automobile and health insurance.

You helped make my point number 2.......if they aren't hurt seriously (seat belts) there is no hospital visit to pay for. Yes eventually we will pay for their hospital bills down the road (sadly we are mortal, except PR that is) but the hospital stay numbers leading up will be less. And hell maybe seat belts will let them survive so they can get a job and pay their own way after future accidents.

_1463069677.gif

Strahm made a bad mistake, plain and simple. Let's be glad no one was killed or seriously injured.

And lets pray he learns a lesson, and stays safe going forward, for all our sakes.

College years are a time to learn (in general), let's hope this lesson sticks.

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
ordigger said:

Actually the topic was Strahm's DUI...and then you initially hijacked it with your texting comments. But don't let facts get in your way. :)

Ursa Major said:
Thank God that e-Griz is here to tackle yet another complex contemporary societal problem facing our great nation! :thumb:

Most especially the liberal brain trust fighting for the little guy in the politics forum. You're all so derned wise, evolved and witty![emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GrizLA said:
CFallsGriz said:
GrizLA said:
reinell30 said:
Folks, it is a DUI...that is all. A bad choice to get behind the wheel. Yes, he is lucky he didn't hurt someone, a bad choice he will remember for a long time to come! He will pay his dues for this mistake. Now let it drop! 2017 season around the corner, let's focus on the positives!

He is no "kid". He is 22. He knows the laws and hopefully the coaching staff made it clear that DUI is not acceptable at UM and he should be removed from the team. That would be a positive statement. Sadly, Montana is the number one state in alcoholism. Time to change that culture. Other kids will step up. It might even open a scholarship to a deserving kid who can keep his cool in a tough game.

Actually, if you're looking at per capita usage New Hampshire holds that distinction, though we do come in 6th.

https://www.thestreet.com/story/12119523/10/the-drunkest-states-in-america-2013-vintage.html

your link is from 2014 and even that one is out of date. Montana leads the nation in alcohol abuse. 9.87% of Montanans over age 12 abuse alcohol. This is nothing to be proud of and I suspect it is a leading indicator of why Montanans also rank high in suicides. Montana needs to change its culture. Other states have done it. This guy is on a scholarship. He is old enough to pay the consequences and if it were my decision, he would be off the team..no discussion.

Well at least I showed something to back it up. 2014 is not that old. Not much was different then in that regard. You can't trot out a number like 9.87%, and show no evidence while telling people they're wrong. [emoji23]

I'll leave consequences to the people closest to the situation.

CFallsGriz said:
Ursa Major said:

Most especially the liberal brain trust fighting for the little guy in the politics forum. You're all so derned wise, evolved and witty![emoji3]

Buck-up, Snowflake! :thumb:

Ursa Major said:
CFallsGriz said:
Ursa Major said:

Buck-up, Snowflake! :thumb:
[emoji56][emoji1303]

ordigger said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
ordigger said:

Actually the topic was Strahm's DUI...and then you initially hijacked it with your texting comments. But don't let facts get in your way. :)

Stop missing my little jokes.

ordigger said:
Phat Cat said:
That sucks. Just call Uber. It's cheap. I wish Uber was around when I was a kid. Would of saved me a lot of problems.

Michael Oher approves this message.

Well you can't be an asshole and bite your driver. That's just rude.

CFallsGriz said:
Ursa Major said:

Wouldn't jumping up in the middle of the night, twitching and tweeting, work better for you?

what a thread. :clap:

all the best to the kid. he screwed up. could have been way worse but it wasn't. bust his ass the next month, sit him a couple games, and move on.

as always this time of year...football can't get here soon enough.

ilovethecats said:

all the best to the kid. he screwed up. could have been way worse but it wasn't. bust his ass the next month, sit him a couple games, and move on.

You forgot to mention texting and driving. :cool:

grizcountry420 said:
ilovethecats said:

You forgot to mention texting and driving. :cool:
:thumb:

thing is, you could do this every time someone does anything stupid or against the law. people love to play the "what if" game. yes, VERY bad things can happen when a guy drinks and drives. but this wasn't one of those cases. for many of us, this happening to them just once is enough for them to never do it again. so instead of acting like he killed someone because he could have killed someone, let's just deal with what actually happened.

he screwed up. got lucky it wasn't worse. and luckily won't get punished at what COULD have happened! best to him.

Back